Does anyone wait until the DUE date to make final payment?

LGinPA

With my credit card it's Ok to pay it on the actual due date.  So I'm wondering if it's OK to do this with NCL and if anyone else does it. I'm new to NCL and cruising and don't want to risk any issues with my payments and account.  

Also, my NCL due date is the first day of my CC cycle, and if I make the payment on the due date,  my CC payment won't come due for another 8 weeks. But if I make the NCL payment the day before my due date, my CC is due in 4 weeks!  Those extra 4 weeks of holding onto my travel savings will earn me enough interest for a drink, maybe. 😉 

Edited by LGinPA

3 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

With my credit card it's Ok to pay it on the actual due date.  So I'm wondering if it's OK to do this with NCL and if anyone else does it. I'm new to NCL and cruising and don't want to risk any issues with my payments and account.  

Also, my NCL due date is the first day of my CC cycle, and if I make the payment on the due date,  my CC payment won't come due for another 8 weeks. But if I make the NCL payment the day before my due date, my CC is due in 4 weeks!  Those extra 4 weeks of holding onto my travel savings will earn me enough interest for a drink, maybe. 😉 

It's not enough savings to worry about.  

A good savings rate now is 4%.  That's an annual rate.  One month it's 1/12th of that.  

You might be saving six or seven dollars. 

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A good savings rate now is 4%.  That's an annual rate.  One month it's 1/12th of that.  

Which, with the Free at Sea package, that would cover the cost of a good drink, like he proposed.  🙂

For peace of mind, I always pay a few days before the final payment due date-

OP, depending on how far away your due date is, you may want to think about asking the credit card to change your due date/statement closing date.

For my May cruise that was due in January I tried to do that, but I didn't call in time (would have taken 60 days to have the new date).

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

Paying on the day the payment is due is fine with NCL. If you use a TA they may require an earlier payment date because they don’t want to be late. If you are working on your own the last day is fine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGinPA said:

Paying on the due date is fine. That's what we do (and we cruise at least 6 times  a year)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Paying on the due date is fine. That's what we do (and we cruise at least 6 times  a year)

I pay on day before final in case there are any issues. Why anyone would pay before, some do months in advance, and let NCL hold onto your money is beyond me but to each their own

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

1 hour ago, Nilbog said:

Which, with the Free at Sea package, that would cover the cost of a good drink, like he proposed.  🙂

Suppose he booked a balcony for seven days.  Approximately  $2800.  The interest for 30 days would be around $8.33.  Not enough to worry about. 

• Like 1

For many years I always paid on the due date and that was fine.  I would buy third party trip insurance and flights two days before.  We did experience IT problems on a recent cruise that were very inconvenient to deal with as they happened to be just when we were headed out the door for another (land) trip.  Was annoying enough straightening things out that, going forward, I will make the final payment a couple of days in advance just to make sure it goes smoothly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

OP, depending on how far away your due date is, you may want to think about asking the credit card to change your due date/statement closing date.

I considered that except I recently changed the CC due date to align with my monthly pension, which aligns with my other CC payment date.  So I'll stick with that. 

2 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

It takes a day or two before it's actually posted to my card although a pending charge shows.  Kind of surprised your transaction would post the next day.

Same here.  But on a big payment like this (10-day Mediterranean, for me and DH, ) I don't want to chance that it posts in the prior cycle. 

Also, we have another international land coming up payable in February, and I don't want that payment and the cruise payment on the same bill!  

I usually pay 3 days before due date.  Just in case of any last minute glitches.  

A few years ago we were pushing it to the last day.  Then DH was in the ER (and admitted for heart issues) and the last thing on my mind was making final payment! (Fortunately I had a reminder in my phone and my battery was charged...but I never want to be in that situation again!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I pay a few days early because I’m afraid the website might be down or something if I wait until the day of and then I’d be on the phone for hours trying to pay. 

Ha! This is me too, but I decided on last business day before due date (I can't let my paranoia completely take over my life!)

• Like 1

I always make final payment at least a few days in advance. Just in case there is an issue I want to have time to get it fixed. As far as the cruise line is concerned paying on final payment date is totally fine, just know that it will most likely auto cancel at the end of the day if it has not been paid in full by the end of the day, so don't forget! 

Also you can probably pay one day before and be OK. It should take at least a day or two for the charge to post to your statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I always make final payment at least a few days in advance. Just in case there is an issue I want to have time to get it fixed. As far as the cruise line is concerned paying on final payment date is totally fine, just know that it will most likely auto cancel at the end of the day if it has not been paid in full by the end of the day, so don't forget! 

Also you can probably pay one day before and be OK. It should take at least a day or two for the charge to post to your statement. 

Yes, it is very rare tor a charge to move from pending to posted on the date the charge is made. One day is usual; 2 days is not uncommon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1