Opinion about this situation. Dangerous?

exm

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

As a Master, I certainly didn't make decisions based on business, but I am definitely from the old school of ship Masters.

That makes senseĀ šŸ˜€Ā As master you had experience in these matters and are replying based on actual experience. We on the other hand are having a subjective reaction to the photo based on the death of a toddler a few years ago toddler. Ā 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

I do not support sitting a child on a cruise ship railing, ever. But that said, there might be a little overreaction to this particular photo. If the child fell, it would only be a few feet, nowhere close to overboard.Ā 
Ā 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

If the child fell, it would only be a few feet, nowhere close to overboard.Ā 

If, as I suspect, this is a photo of an MSC Seaside class ship, then yes, it would be a drop of only about 6 feet or so onto the metal beam directly below, and then rolling or bouncing off down to the hard surfacedĀ  promenade deck 9 or 10 feet below that. Why would anyone possibly be concerned about a toddler falling that far?Ā Ā šŸ˜”

1 hour ago, mom says said:

If, as I suspect, this is a photo of an MSC Seaside class ship, then yes, it would be a drop of only about 6 feet or so onto the metal beam directly below, and then rolling or bouncing off down to the hard surfacedĀ  promenade deck 9 or 10 feet below that. Why would anyone possibly be concerned about a toddler falling that far?Ā Ā šŸ˜”

Ā 

I don't know what ship you're thinking of or what photo you're looking at, but I'm looking at the photo that was provided in post #1.Ā  There is clearly a deck outside that balcony that is even with the balcony deck.Ā  And even if, somehow, that child is made of rubber and she bounces like a crazy ball off that deck from a 4' drop, the worst that could happen is she would then land on that canvas top that appears to stick about yet another 5-6 feet.Ā Ā 

Ā 

But no, that child is not made of crazy-ball rubber so in reality, she would fall about 4' and land on the deck.

Ā 

I'll say it again.Ā  I do not support sitting children on railings, but the responses like the one I just quoted are a little detached from reality.Ā  Ā  Ā šŸ™„

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exm said:

What's your opinion about this one? I grabbed this from a Facebook group and I blurred out the faces. It's basically a father holding his child on a MSC ship. She's sitting with her legs on the railing and he has his arms around her.

Ā 

In my opinion this is not recommended, but overly dangerous? People are calling for having this person removed from the cruise, bringing up the example of the poor child that was dropped from the RC ship by a grandfather, etc. In my opinion this person deserves a firm talk from his wife "Don't do this!", but that's about it.

Ā 

Thoughts?

Ā 

Ā 

Well, since you asked for our thoughts, I agree, a firm talk is needed to prevent a reoccurrence. Ā  Best if the talk was from a ship's officer. Ā  What isn't needed is a social media public flogging. Ā That accomplishes little of value. Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

This is not a good idea. With that said, the overreaction and calls for punishment are unwarranted. Chances are, you were dangled or placed in a spot as a kid that would have messed you up in you were dropped. I know we're all super-educated on the matter because of the Royal incident. What is it about cruising related incidents that supersede everything else in severity? Relax.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I do not support sitting a child on a cruise ship railing, ever. But that said, there might be a little overreaction to this particular photo. If the child fell, it would only be a few feet, nowhere close to overboard.Ā 

Ā 

Exactly right. The drop isn't that far and the child might break a bone if the adult let go. Warn the passenger not to do it again along with a clear warning that he'll be removed from the ship if he does. No drama required.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

Warn the passenger not to do it again along with a clear warning that he'll be removed from the ship if he does. No drama required.

I worry (IMPO) of course that it's not the distance, but that this act is a dangerous 'habit' some adults can take for granted that it's always harmless that they will form the automatic belief, "the child always safe, I've got them'. Which could lead to a tragic result.

Ā 

Mac

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

I worry (IMPO) of course that it's not the distance, but that this act is a dangerous 'habit' some adults can take for granted that it's always harmless that they will form the automatic belief, "the child always safe, I've got them'. Which could lead to a tragic result.

Ā 

Mac

Ā 

I don't disagree but believe a warning is sufficient and not as some suggest throwing him the ship and reporting him to child protection authorities.Ā 

Ā 

Looking at the picture more closely the child does not appear to be sitting on the rail. The child's legs are on the rail but his/her behind is being held by the older person's right hand while the left is around the child's midsection. Were the child to wriggle free he/she would likely have fallen backward.Ā 

Ā 

While not the smartest thing to do the child does not appear to be any more at risk of injury than if sitting on his/her father's shoulders.

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

I don't disagree but believe a warning is sufficient and not as some suggest throwing him the ship and reporting him to child protection authorities.Ā 

Ā 

Looking at the picture more closely the child does not appear to be sitting on the rail. The child's legs are on the rail but his/her behind is being held by the older person's right hand while the left is around the child's midsection. Were the child to wriggle free he/she would likely have fallen backward.Ā 

Ā 

While not the smartest thing to do the child does not appear to be any more at risk of injury than if sitting on his/her father's shoulders.

Ā 

Ā Ā 

I agree with you. A gentle warning would be enough.

Ā 

Mac

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Ā 

IMHO..U R 2 Kind.

Ā 

Imagine a child thinking of stepping on a chair after seeing over the railing.Ā 

Ā 

Accidents happenĀ 

Ā 

A retired safety officerĀ 

Edited by BklynBoy8

I don't know what ship that is. I donā€™t recognize the configuration. But what I do see is the deck that some others above pointed out, and that this kidā€™s legs are nowhere close to dangling over the side of the ship. This kid is in no more danger than any other kid being carried by their parents. I agree a warning is suffice and that some people are waaaaay overreacting about this. People ought to be ashamed of themselves for judging this guy so harshly.Ā 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I don't know what ship that is. I donā€™t recognize the configuration. But what I do see is the deck that some others above pointed out, and that this kidā€™s legs are nowhere close to dangling over the side of the ship. This kid is in no more danger than any other kid being carried by their parents. I agree a warning is suffice and that some people are waaaaay overreacting about this. People ought to be ashamed of themselves for judging this guy so harshly.Ā 

Ā 

Each have their own opinion.

Ā 

In 52 years of sailing I never saw an action such as this on board or on another ship.

Ā 

A friend sailing on Disney even says they remind those on board of Railing Safety.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Ā 

IMHO..U R 2 Kind.

Ā 

Imagine a child thinking of stepping on a chair after seeing over the railing.Ā 

Ā 

Accidents happenĀ 

Ā 

A retired safety officerĀ 

Ā 

Except that the picture doesn't show a child stepping on a chair. It shows a man securely holding a child with his arm around the child's waist and the child's legs resting on the rail.Ā 

Ā 

So what would your recommendation be to deal with this man?Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

As was suggested a few posts above, this is an MSC Seaside class ship, cabin is an Aurea junior suite on deck 9 starboard. Ā Here is a part of a pic I pinched from cruisedeckplans. Ā The exact cabin would be one obscured by the cruisedeckplans logoā€¦

Ā 

Ā 

5E109679-A4E3-42BF-A194-04483489D913.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

As was suggested a few posts above, this is an MSC Seaside class ship, cabin is an Aurea junior suite on deck 9 starboard. Ā Here is a part of a pic I pinched from cruisedeckplans. Ā The exact cabin would be one obscured by the cruisedeckplans logoā€¦

Ā 

Ā 

5E109679-A4E3-42BF-A194-04483489D913.jpeg

Ā 

Looks like the canvas below was for a Cabana

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

As was suggested a few posts above, this is an MSC Seaside class ship, cabin is an Aurea junior suite on deck 9 starboard.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I wasn't familiar with this class of ships either.Ā  Thank you.Ā  So essentially, this photo represents the ship's configuration.Ā  I still don't condone holding children on railings but considering the way that child was being held, and how far out that deck extends, I maintain they were never in any real danger.Ā  Ā Certainly nothing to be calling child protective services over, as was suggested.Ā Ā 

Ā 

image.thumb.png.495eaa43c0bd693aa80a454544c8f164.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Ā 

Except that the picture doesn't show a child stepping on a chair. It shows a man securely holding a child with his arm around the child's waist and the child's legs resting on the rail.Ā 

Ā 

So what would your recommendation be to deal with this man?Ā 

Ā 

So sorry you don't get the point being made on this posting. Very saw an attempted act like this being done.

Ā 

My dear wife did bring up a point of a case of a child accident falling fromĀ  a railing. Quite a number of years ago. Charged with carelessness in court.

Ā 

Pls do not ask for evidence as it will be hard to find. But it happened in Florida on Embarkation Day.Ā 

Ā 

End of posting here.....

Ā 

Other opportunities will follow I guess......

Ā 

12 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Ā 

My dear wife did bring up a point of a case of a child accident falling fromĀ  a railing. Quite a number of years ago. Charged with carelessness in court.

Ā 

Pls do not ask for evidence as it will be hard to find. But it happened in Florida on Embarkation Day.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That was a case of a man holding his grand child out of this window, and she fell to her death.Ā  No reasonable person can compare these 2 circumstances.Ā Ā 

image.thumb.png.e32fd41b5165455f586671b4719554f6.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

...This kid is in no more danger than any other kid being carried by their parents. ...

Ā 

People ought to be ashamed of themselves for judging this guy so harshly.Ā 

Do you really believe that the risk of being dropped while being carried by a parent is just as great as being dropped - about 4+ feet onto a canvas tarp (which could act like a trampoline), and which would in any event leave the child alone on an uninclosed surface a number of feet above the next lower hard surface?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Do you really believe that the risk of being dropped while being carried by a parent is just as great as being dropped - about 4+ feet onto a canvas tarp (which could act like a trampoline), and which would in any event leave the child alone on an uninclosed surface a number of feet above the next lower hard surface?

Seriously? Ā Itā€™s this sort of sensationalism that leads to these ridiculous conclusions.
Ā 

I suggest you look at the pictures and read this thread again. The kid would not land on the tarp unless thrown. šŸ™„
Ā 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Ā 

So sorry you don't get the point being made on this posting. Very saw an attempted act like this being done.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

End of posting here.....

Ā 

Other opportunities will follow I guess......

Ā 

You accused me of being too "2 kind" because I believe a word with the fellow and a warning not to do it again would be a sufficient response. You meanwhile you refuse to tell us what your recommendation would be, point to an entirely different and unrelated incident and are now leaving the thread.

Ā 

A warning would be sufficient.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

So you are an expert in the trajectory of falling children?

Is that a new field of study, a new college major? šŸ¤£ It could qualify you to get a job in child abuse,

Ā 

I have a friend whose job used to be the head of the county's child abuse section. It was a tough, very emotionally draining, job. šŸ˜’