The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 1st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

A crew member said that there are 300 children under age 12 aboard. There must have been a kids cruise free offer. I was surprised, because it’s not a school vacation week, but almost all them are actually under 5.

NCL makes a BFD about complex (weird imo) cocktails, which younger passengers seem to like. The result is that bartenders can’t cope with an order for something simple, such as Irish and soda.

I’m having dinner at the ship’s Italian restaurant, which I’ve always liked. Some of my fellow Amurricans complain because it doesn’t serve “chicken parm,” but the menu is very like what I’ve experienced in Rome. I’m disappointed, however, that there’s no osso buco any more.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I’m having dinner at the ship’s Italian restaurant, which I’ve always liked. Some of my fellow Amurricans complain because it doesn’t serve “chicken parm,” but the menu is very like what I’ve experienced in Rome. I’m disappointed, however, that there’s no osso buco any more.

I grew up in Europe and never saw chicken parm until I came to US. Few years ago did a transatlantic ending in Rome with my American DH  and we stayed a few days after. DH was very disappointed that he could not get chicken parm. He told me that he thought I was joking when I said it's not really an Italian dish! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm home from the dentist and wondering what I can eat tonight for dinner. They said "soft foods for a couple days" hmmm....  He said the lump inside my lip looked non cancerous, not to worry (but they're sending it in for a biopsy of course).  That and the filling on a back molar was pretty much a breeze -- will see if I still say that once the numbness wears off. 😉  

I hope it’s bearable when the numbness wears off 🤞 

Prayers that the lump is benign 🙏🏻 

Do eat something tonight - it will help - even if it’s ice cream / tapioca pudding / soup.  Mac and cheese?

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui @kazuis your bone healing well?  Did you get a new cast?  I hope you aren't in too much pain still.

No cast - another splint ‘sigh’. And more appointments.  And no more potent pain killers - and I only have 3 left 😞 More tomorrow when I am not so tired and semi-depressed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

Summer really is here, sunny  temperature 29 C.  Not used to these temperatures!

@kazu  sorry that your appointment was disappointing for you.

@0106  Bon Voyage.

@bennybear beautiful sunset, thank you.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased that you are home again, but hope you will receive follow up care.

Hope you have a better night sleeping in your own bed.

@richwmn  am pleased that Zuiderdam berthed in Auckland, looks like the Hilton Hotel in your first photo.

Thanks for all the photos of today's port, and thanks to @StLouisCruisers for the Fleet/Daily and the Care/Celebration lists.    Also thanks for the food and drink information.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Summer really is here, sunny  temperature 29 C.  Not used to these temperatures!

@kazu  sorry that your appointment was disappointing for you.

@0106  Bon Voyage.

@bennybear beautiful sunset, thank you.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased that you are home again, but hope you will receive follow up care.

Hope you have a better night sleeping in your own bed.

@richwmn  am pleased that Zuiderdam berthed in Auckland, looks like the Hilton Hotel in your first photo.

Thanks for all the photos of today's port, and thanks to @StLouisCruisers for the Fleet/Daily and the Care/Celebration lists.    Also thanks for the food and drink information.

I wondered if that was the Hilton in Rich's @richwmnphoto.  We stayed overnight there once after disembarking in Auckland, and went to the airport for our flight home next morning.  Just a short walk from the ship to hotel.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I wondered if that was the Hilton in Rich's @richwmnphoto.  We stayed overnight there once after disembarking in Auckland, and went to the airport for our flight home next morning.  Just a short walk from the ship to hotel.

We actually exited the ship thru the street level of the hotel, similar to Pan Pacific in Vancouver

(pictures added)

20230202_144531.thumb.jpg.a6897bba98de9ed4fbc187925e610d61.jpg

20230202_144509.thumb.jpg.6ad4c90aac5725fbf50cde1d82512bc3.jpg

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd

Roy, glad you are home. Hoping that you have folk available to support you. Be careful not to overdo. Praying that your road to recovery is quick and pain free. 

@kazu

Jacqui, I am sorry to read you didn’t get your cast. I am impressed you have the energy to post anything. I pray you have a pain-free night and get some rest. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along I'm glad the dentist appointment went well. Soup, mashed potatoes, oatmeal?

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I hope it’s bearable when the numbness wears off 🤞 

Prayers that the lump is benign 🙏🏻 

Do eat something tonight - it will help - even if it’s ice cream / tapioca pudding / soup.  Mac and cheese?

No cast - another splint ‘sigh’. And more appointments.  And no more potent pain killers - and I only have 3 left 😞 More tomorrow when I am not so tired and semi-depressed.

Thank you Vanessa and Jacqui -- my lip is just *sore* now, nothing too awful.  I've decided that clam chowder tonight (without green chilis!) sounds good and should be soft enough.

Jacqui I'm sorry your appointment was a disappointment and you got another splint, no cast.  I hope you can get some rest tonight.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI sure do remember carbon paper.  I was a secretary in the late 60's and was a good typist (120 words/minute) but like everyone, I made a few mistakes 😉  What an ordeal!

I had jobs that I had to use carbon paper and ditto machine paper, both were a mess to fix mistakes on.  And a mimeograph machine.  Oh, and one job I also had a folding machine which made quite the noise. 

• Like 9

@rafinmdI hope that you have people that are checking up on you now that you are home,  like you said, you are weak and tired.  Please make sure that one of your fire men friends check up on you twice a day.

@kazuI did not have pins, I have screws that are very permanent.  No cast, Had splint after the fourth day.  Cast was put on for me not to move.  That was easy.  My body was in freeze zone, but I think I lost 4 weeks of my life by being on pain meds.... By the way, when my arm is in the sun, the screws heat up, talk about weird!  And this winter dampness, really makes the arm hurt, so I hope your final outcome works out well for you.  Even though right now, you are not seeing an end in sight.

Does any one else ever feel like they are so close to tears, but you just keep on grinning and bearing it?

Just wonder if I'm normal or not.  DH was in a terrible mood because he lost a piece of paper, yes he resolved the situation, but he kept on being mad because he lost the paper.  I did not lose the paper, but I got the brunt of that anger all afternoon.  Plus my last hour on one campaign, I had to train him.  This did not make for a very happy day.  BUT I did get one laugh, not sure what the guy was thinking when he filled out his address, because when he got to city-he put in White/Caucasian.  I couldn't stop laughing.  I called my boss, and when I told him he couldn't either.  I guess the man forgot what he was doing in the middle of ordering tickets.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, we're ok so far on electric. Our bird feeders are frozen solid, so we decided to put seed along our pony wall. I was heartbroken with all the sweet birds trying to break through the ice.

0201231301b.jpg

0201231301a.jpg

0201231301.jpg

Joy, I didn't see your poor trees earlier.  I hope they recover.  I can't verify if this is true, but once after an ice storm, I was told the ice coating actually protected the trees.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening. I'm back from BFF DF's house. Oh my. There is so much stuff! He loved to take photos and there are probably 100 boxes with full carousels, thousands of photos, loads of photo paper, 4 old computers, printers, etc. It will take a long time to go through everything.

Vanessa, what you and BFF are going through is why I've been trying to weeds things out the last few years.  We've made headway, but there is still a long way to go.  If you ever get a chance to see the Nazca lines, it's worth the money for the flight.  It's one of the things we'll never forget, or regret doing.

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:
Discharge process was a Zoo, but I finally got home a little before 4.  Very weal and tired.

Roy

Roy, I'm glad your home where hopefully you can get some rest and sleep.  As the others have said, I hope there are people who will be checking on you and helping you.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, I'm sorry you are still stuck with the splint, and hope you get a cast soon.  I also hope the pain is manageable now.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:
Discharge process was a Zoo, but I finally got home a little before 4.  Very weal and tired.

Roy

Roy, glad you’re home.  Did you get the opportunity to say goodbye to that Night Nurse?

Hope you recover quickly.  Take it easy.

You are in my prayers.

Terri

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@kazuI did not have pins, I have screws that are very permanent.  No cast, Had splint after the fourth day.  Cast was put on for me not to move.  That was easy.  My body was in freeze zone, but I think I lost 4 weeks of my life by being on pain meds.... By the way, when my arm is in the sun, the screws heat up, talk about weird!  And this winter dampness, really makes the arm hurt, so I hope your final outcome works out well for you.  Even though right now, you are not seeing an end in sight.

Thanks -  I might be using the wrong term - Dr. Manson called it a pin when he took it out but it could well be a screw.  I remember calling them the wrong thing  the last time when I broke my other elbow 7 years ago.  I too felt the sun on the metal while they were in - so you are not alone.

Mine will come out - they have to.  My elbows are too thin and bony so when (if) the bone grows back, there is no place for them.  We’re just fighting to keep this one in until it is healed.  

I was told by both the ortho in PV and mine here that they will have to come out once it is healed enough.  

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Just wonder if I'm normal or not.  DH was in a terrible mood because he lost a piece of paper, yes he resolved the situation, but he kept on being mad because he lost the paper.  I did not lose the paper, but I got the brunt of that anger all afternoon. 

Yes, that’s normal and you are - no worries.  He’s a man and at times,  if they are upset, they tend to take it out on the one they love.  I like to think it’s because they know they can lean on us.  DH would do it on occasion too and apologize later.  I understood.  He couldn’t vent to anyone else so I was the one he could vent to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6