The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 2nd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

@rafinmd Roy, thanks for sharing your day. You know yourself best - but be sure to be honest with yourself.

I know how important independence is to me, but I learned to recognize when to ask for help when I fractured my kneecap in 2021. I suspect you also know when to do that. 

Rest well. 

• Like 16

We all have our opinions of HAL’s IT department but over on RCcL forum today people were getting notifications they had 30 minutes to report to their muster stations, minor problem is they weren’t onboard and/or have no sailing booked. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

May I please second everyone's opinions that our dear friend Roy had too busy of a day?  Even doing half those errands would be a lot for someone recovering from pneumonia and just out of the hospital.  Roy, I agree that you probably have friends, firemen, or neighbors who could pick up a prescription or food items.  Take it easier tomorrow.  Don't get up early tomorrow -- I can post again for you in the morning because I'm up early anyway!  Give it a few days. 

Hugs from your CC Daily family. 🤗

+1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@marshhawk if you want to sightsee a bit and go to the beach I would suggest you take the boat from the dock over to Oia,  it’s a lovely village to walk around and have a slice of walnut cake. There are usually boats waiting at the dock and you can avoid the gondola on the way up,  

Then take the local bus or a taxi from Oia to Perissa or Kamari for the black sand beach and perhaps a nice lunch.   Then take the bus or taxi back to Fira for a little wander and the gondola back down.  I am Not as brave as Jacqui, walking down as the donkeys leave some deposits on the way.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@marshhawk if you want to sightsee a bit and go to the beach I would suggest you take the boat from the dock over to Oia,  it’s a lovely village to walk around and have a slice of walnut cake. There are usually boats waiting at the dock and you can avoid the gondola on the way up,  

Then take the local bus or a taxi from Oia to Perissa or Kamari for the black sand beach and perhaps a nice lunch.   Then take the bus or taxi back to Fira for a little wander and the gondola back down.  I am Not as brave as Jacqui, walking down as the donkeys leave some deposits on the way.  

This is all great advice.  We did take the bus from Fira to Oia and back.  It was very easy to figure out and made a nice day.  We walked up the nasty path to get to Fira and took the donkeys down.  I'm here to tell the tale, but to each his own on that one for sure.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your room looks great Debbie!  Excellent job painting.  And so many closets.  You definitely need to splurge on a few new clothes to help fill them.  

Did you make the quilt?  It's beautiful!  Love the colors and pattern.

2 hours ago, kplady said:

@dfishDebbie, the room looks beautiful!!!

Laura

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Very nice. Good job!

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, the quilt is stunning, and the room color is the perfect showcase for it.  Have fun filling your closets. 

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Debbie @dfish, I think the room is such a nice showcase for the beautiful  quilt.It looks very peaceful.Enjoy your new home!

Yes, I did make the quilt.  It was for my parents' 55th wedding anniversary.  Mom's favorite colors were blue and yellow and Dad said his favorite was Treasury Green.  So, blue, green, and yellow it was.  The pattern is called Storm at Sea, so the blue and green is the water and the yellow is the sun peaking through.  You can find the waves in the pattern.  You can also find an infinity symbol and a heart.  As I told them, every relationship has rocky times (waves), but love (heart) is forever (infinity).  There are also pillow cases that go with it.  

• Like 19

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

@dfish, your room looks great.  I remember you posted a pic of your living room around the holidays and it was also really calm and peaceful looking.  Good cook, too.  No wonder your family gathers around so much.

Thank you, Maxine!   

• Like 9

Debbie, you did a great job on the bedroom, and so quickly and cleanly, too!  Beautiful quilt, I like treasury green, too.

On the subject of winter, our Vancouver Island Marmot, Violet, was rudely disturbed this morning and saw her shadow, mainly because someone was aiming his phone light at her.  

But -IMG_2527.thumb.jpeg.f061b702c512be82b87aaa0377079810.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

Good evening.  The rain finally started late this afternoon.  Right now, it's 35F.  I hope the rain stops and the concrete surfaces and the road dry before out temperatures drop before our temperature drops below freezing toniight.  Otherwise, it could be really slick in the morning.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I had an interesting morning.  As I walked down to our mailbox I saw a car parked across the street with the logo Evening Magazine (a Seattle television show).  Two people, a man and a woman, were walking around and looking at  our neighborhood's glacial erratic rock (or "the rock" as we call it).  It's the largest in the state and possibly in the country.

Concerned about what they would say  on their program, I struck up a conversation with them.  The reason I was concerned is that any time the rock is in the news, they neglect to mention that this is not in a public park, but private property and climbing the rock is not allowed.  Not only that but we've had to put up with vandalism, graffiti, and even rock climbers have pounded stakes into it.  We really would rather it isn't publicized, but understand the interest, of course.  As interesting as it is, most of us would rather it wasn't in the middle of our neighborhood.  

I spoke mainly with the woman who is a segment producer for the show (while her partner was climbing all over the top of it 🙄).   She thanked me over and over for letting them know  and wanted me to be interviewed for the show --- to which I declined, no television interviews for me!  Instead I suggested she contact our HOA President and talk to him. 

She did promise to say that contrary to what has been printed before, this is on private property.  

We had a nice conversation and even some laughs when I told them that I get mail for the Lake Stevens Monster (even a loan application) because my address is listed as the rock's address.  

Edited to add Roy @rafinmdI agree with everyone else, be careful and don't overdo -- I know that's hard!

Carolyn, I hope that if the station runs a story on the "rock" they do mention it is on private property.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

While I agree with everyone else's advice @rafinmd I do understand the need to get to the grocery, pharmacy, and Fire Station.  UPS might have waited?   I hope you were driving rather than walking all that distance.  I'm glad they put the rollator together for you at the Fire Station.  Maybe they can take turns doing grocery and pharmacy runs.  But, you are totally correct that you need to get up and walk around.  Getting up and walking can actually help combat the pneumonia.  Small steps, though.  

Ok, I have the pictures of the bedroom everyone wanted.  

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.1051b37ebfcd57885edab9e7ada80475.jpg

The dresser under the window had to be moved in from the other room.  We had to put it on its end to move it.  

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.c31fe86d684a326dac6aba071d18c89c.jpg

Here you can see the mirror closet.  The ceilings are too low to attach the mirrors to the dresser, but this room is kind of like a house of mirrors, so no problem.

IMG_2110.thumb.jpg.8db07139596c5030104d0b393d9f8f01.jpg

The second closet is the one with white doors behind the door to the room.  The doors need to be cut down as they drag along the carpet.  You can also see the entrance to the walk in closet at the far left.  Several mirrors reside in there as well as a couple of closet organizers with drawers and racks for hanging clothes.  I need to go shopping!

Debbie, the room looks so bright and cherry.  I don't remember ever seeing a bedroom with three closets.  The quilt is beautiful, and even more so since reading about its history and the meanings in the various elements.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

We all have our opinions of HAL’s IT department but over on RCcL forum today people were getting notifications they had 30 minutes to report to their muster stations, minor problem is they weren’t onboard and/or have no sailing booked. 😎

I think that tops anything HAL IT has done.

Lenda 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

RCI is notorious for IT. Often the website is unable to accept payments!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the contributions to today's Fleet/daily. 

It's been another hot summer day, temperature 29 C.   

This morning DH took the car in for the windscreen to be replaced,  damaged by a stone  while returning from our excursion to buy  fruit last week. I caught the bus to town, completed some errands, we had  lunch, and collected the car.  Many Noordam passengers in town, DH had spoken to some while  walking to meet me.

@rafinmd  Roy,, I hope you have a better sleep tonight, do you have an appointment for a check up?

• Like 10

15 hours ago, dfish said:

Ok, I have the pictures of the bedroom everyone wanted.  

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.1051b37ebfcd57885edab9e7ada80475.jpg

The dresser under the window had to be moved in from the other room.  We had to put it on its end to move it.  

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.c31fe86d684a326dac6aba071d18c89c.jpg

Here you can see the mirror closet.  The ceilings are too low to attach the mirrors to the dresser, but this room is kind of like a house of mirrors, so no problem.

IMG_2110.thumb.jpg.8db07139596c5030104d0b393d9f8f01.jpg

What an awesome job you did and what a lovely room 👍 

The quilt is gorgeous and really adds to the room.  You are incredible Debbie.  How much do you charge?  (Kidding)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui, that's too bad about the elbow, but I imagine it will make it easier for exams, X-rays, etc., if you have it in a splint.

Yes, you are right.  They can X-Ray through the splint - no problem whereas a cast has to be removed.  And it’s quick to remove - no need to get into the cast room.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

What an awesome job you did and what a lovely room 👍 

The quilt is gorgeous and really adds to the room.  You are incredible Debbie.  How much do you charge?  (Kidding)

Thanks, Jacqui.  Quilt making is an expensive hobby.  The fabric alone can cost a couple hundred dollars.  The big quilts I send out for quilting as I can't get them through my machine.  Cha Ching!  It is a good thing that they take a while to make.  

• Like 4