The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 2nd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

IMG_20230202_121508299_HDR.thumb.jpg.fb003c92320b03cce99d357fa46720bc.jpg

Nothing is seeing its shadow in NW MI today and the deep freeze is headed our way. Currently feels like +17°F but headed to a feels like -17°F overnight with a -1°F high tomorrow. Even our river is shivering as it freezes over. Brrr!

Hoping we hear from @rafinmdsoon. It's been 20 hours since he reported being home...

-Melisa

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Spent most of the night in my recliner last night, slept sparingly but moved to my bed about 4AM, and it seems viable.

Weak and short of breath but functioning and moving slowly.  Got out this morning and visited pharmacy, grocery, UPS and Fire House.  Bought a rollator; not sure how useful it will be (still using a cane a lot more) and a guy at the fire house (Ron Clements) put it together for me.  Errands went very slowly. I think I have dinner planned which will be much the same as last night.

Roy
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 25

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DS was notified early today that his 3 pm flight was delayed until 6:30 pm.  We'll see if that time holds or not.  Yes, it's a shame things haven't worked out as planned for the Dads.  The Moms were there a while back with the boys so they got a better idea of the Club and area.  The Dads wanted a good look too.  Thanks for your photos too!

I'm not surprised the flight was delayed.  It will take time to get all the canceled flights and the current flights straightened out and the planes at the airports where they belong.  I have my fingers crossed 🤞 they make it out tonight, and home safely.

17 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

If I take a tender to shore on Santorini, what are those buildings before you go up the hill? 

Annie, there are some stores and restaurants along the waterfront from the tender pier to the entrance to the gondola.  This is the one picture I have from the waterfront.  The entrance to the gondola is on the far left, and you can see a small chapel and some of the restaurants and stores.  The bigger boats are the shoreside tenders.

DSC08033.thumb.JPG.b8a15fc79313f88f1c9f4afc68c454bb.JPG

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
Spent most of the night in my recliner last night, slept sparingly but moved to my bed about 4AM, and it seems viable.

Weak and short of breath but functioning and moving slowly.  Got out this morning and visited pharmacy, grocery, UPS and Fire House.  Bought a rollator; not sure how useful it will be (still using a cane a lot more) and a guy at the fire house (Ron Clements) put it together for me.  Errands went very slowly. I think I have dinner planned which will be much the same as last night.

Roy

Roy, thank you for checking in, but I couldn't your post today.  I think we were all hoping you were staying in and taking it easy today.  Even though you are functioning and moving slowly, the weakness and being short of breath is still concerning.  My one suggestion is if the rollator has a seat, take it instead of the cane when you go out.  That way, if you get really weak or short of breath, you will have a place to sit and rest awhile.  Please take care of yourself, and don't take undue chances.  You are an important part of this family.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Double-thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

On Tuesday, DSIL and Sue went to our Urgent Care for a PCR test. DSIL saw the doctor and because she had tested positive with the Rapid Test, they didn't bother to do a PCR test. Sue received her results yesterday - and she is positive as well. So far, I have remained well as I may have enough antibodies remaining since I had COVID in November. I plan on doing another Rapid test tomorrowThankfully our house is big enough that the three of us can have our own space. DSIL is actually beginning to feel better. The three of us had the vacine and are triple-boosted. I guess we should have heeded the Carnival suggestion to still wear masks in large gatherings on our cruise last week. The possibility of an infection is still out there.

Yikes!  So sorry to hear they are both positive 😞 Hoping you can stay clear of it 🙏 

and sadly you are right - we might be done with covid but it’s not done with us 😞 

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Cold.PNG.1add24e56fa3495a6a409c6a5cb15d05.PNG

Again, I apologize to all my eastern friends for sharing our Polar Vortex, but misery loves company.  

To make you feel better - we’ll be colder than that by tonight.  They are waiting to see if we record a new record low.    Yup, misery likes company.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I love today's port - we've been there 3 times, all near the end of tourist season when it wasn't overrun with people.  @StLouisCruisersin your 11th photo, there's a square blue glass plate - I bought one exactly like that and carefully brought it home in my carry-on!  I have great memories of Santorini every time I see it on our deck.

@kazuI'm sorry to hear your elbow isn't healing as fast as you'd hoped.  

@rafinmdI hope you had a restful night and will be feeling much better soon.

Even though it's colder than a witch's kiss, DH has to go for blood tests and an x ray on his foot that's been bothering him for some time.  The doctor thinks it's arthritis, but wants to rule out anything else. 

Sure hope it is something treatable so he can feel better and nothing serious is wrong 🤞 

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Wiarton Willie predicts an early spring.

He lies. 😉

The others all disagree with him and I am afraid they are right 😔. Apparently the ground hogs predict another 6 weeks of winter 85% of the time.  Sounds about right.

3 hours ago, jodi58 said:

on the bright side , our second foster dog arrives tomorrow!   We promptly adopted the first one and our kids don’t think we get the concept of “fostering”, we will see.

Failed Fosters  are wonderful people as they give these fur babies forever homes 🙂. If your foster steals your heart and fits in, go for it.  There’s no shame in being a failed foster - heck I’m one. 😉 

3 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.....my genealogy ears perked up.....:)

What would be the marriage location noted...when married onboard ship....??

Not Lenda, but I suspect they do the same as they did with DH’s certificate for his ashes.  The certificate states the exact date and time and longitude and latitude of the ship.

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Nice to see you posting.  Please, please take it easy.  It sounds like you did an awful lot today to me.  Put some friends, neighbours, etc to use and ask them to do some of those trips for you please?  You need to rest and not exert yourself too much.  Rest is a great healer.  Please don’t misunderstand my post - not trying to lecture you but I know you are used to doing a lot & being independent and I don’t want you  to relapse or take longer to recover by not taking care of yourself - including rest.

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, thank you for checking in, but I couldn't your post today.  I think we were all hoping you were staying in and taking it easy today.  Even though you are functioning and moving slowly, the weakness and being short of breath is still concerning.  My one suggestion is if the rollator has a seat, take it instead of the cane when you go out.  That way, if you get really weak or short of breath, you will have a place to sit and rest awhile.  Please take care of yourself, and don't take undue chances.  You are an important part of this family.

Excellent suggestion, Lenda.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Roy I’m glad you’re home but like others I felt you pushed yourself too much today. I’m sure the folks at the firehouse could have done some of those errands. If not friends relatives or someone. One day ago you needed assistance to get out of bed and walk.

Take it easy and give your body time to heal.

Hope I didn’t overstep on advice.

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Roy I’m glad you’re home but like others I felt you pushed yourself too much today. I’m sure the folks at the firehouse could have done some of those errands. If not friends relatives or someone. One day ago you needed assistance to get out of bed and walk.

Take it easy and give your body time to heal.

Hope I didn’t overstep on advice.

While I agree to an extent, I think much of my weekness is due to the inactivity in the hospital.  I will do less tomorrow but don;t plan to stop completely.

Oh, and thanks to a couple days of stool softener I had my first real poop of the week.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

While I agree to an extent, I think much of my weekness is due to the inactivity in the hospital.  I will do less tomorrow but don;t plan to stop completely.

Oh, and thanks to a couple days of stool softener I had my first real poop of the week.

Roy

A little TMI Roy!😁Our only info is what you have told us. To us you  have been very sick weak an immobile. We care!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm sorry the ice is damaging your trees.  Hopefully, Claudio and his crew and trim them and save them.   

Carolyn, I'm glad there is minimal pain from the trip to the dentist.  I hope the biopsy comes back benign, but it's good the dentist wanted to check it to be sure.  Purple stitches sound interesting.

Jo, glad to see you pop back in today.  Not good news about or from Fred the Marmotte.  Keep us posted about the foster dog and if it becomes a permanent member of the family.

Sue, since the ship was registered in Bermuda, under Bermuda law, it was considered a Bermuda civil wedding.  The ship was at sea between Fort Lauderdale and Sint Maarten.  They registered the marriage in Texas, and according to the marriage records, Texas thinks the marriage took place on March 26.  I  found the information about the marriage registration on Ancestry a few weeks ago.   I think they may have gotten a certificate with the exact location of the ship, but I'm not sure.  The marriage certificate from the ship I have a photo of does not have a place for the location.

Vanessa, thanks for the anniversary wishes for DD and DSIL.   I'm not Gerry @ger_77, but many cars in Alaska, Canada and the really, really cold places in the US have block heaters to keep the engine from freezing.  When not being driven the cars are plugged in.  Many public parking lots have plugs at each space for the heaters, and you can see a plug hanging out from the front grill.

Graham, I'm sorry Sarah is not doing as well as you thought.  I know none of us like to worry our family with how we're really doing.  I bet going out to dinner helped improve her moral and mood.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

The restaurant is booked for dinner next week because Sarah is still off work sick.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Not Lenda, but I suspect they do the same as they did with DH’s certificate for his ashes.  The certificate states the exact date and time and longitude and latitude of the ship.

Excellent suggestion, Lenda.

Jacqui, I'm beginning to suspect they did not get a certificate with the exact date and time along with latitude and longitude of the ship.  The certificate that we saw and photographed before it was signed, did not have a place for that type of information.  This is a redacted picture of the certificate with their names blacked out.  The marriage was registered with their county in Texas as a Bermuda civil ceremony.

InkedIMG_2532.thumb.jpg.a8366f00d0f7257fcd45f71517d52874.jpg

I hope Roy takes my suggestion, and is not offended with all those of us who thought he overdid today so soon after getting out of the hospital.  Our reactions are because of our concern for a friend and Roy's importance to the Daily.  As he said, part of his weakness is probably due to inactivity, but the pneumonia and difficulty breathing is also a factor.  

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@rafinmd Dear Roy!

I hear you and know that your independence is the most important thing and you will get better and better everyday! I want to make a comment to you Roy! 
Think of everyone on this wonderful Daily as your brothers, sisters, friends! WE ALL CARE FOR YOU ROY. ❤️

I know your only brother passed away over a year ago and so wish even me lived closer! Listen to your body Roy please.

Baby steps each and every day ok?

My colleague in my practice had an emergency was sent to ER. Was told by his Dr. Rest no practicing for 6 weeks. To make a long story short he was up and about 1week later and drove to a dental convention to speak in Anaheim California and I got a call that morning while I was working on a patient that he had a heart attack getting out of his car. 
Please take it one day at a time.

Your special Roy🥰

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all. (It’s Friday here). No groundhogs here in Australia but I heard on the local radio that our zoo used one of the meerkats instead. Unfortunately he predicted that the hot, humid weather will continue for another six weeks. Just hoping he is wrong! 
Best wishes to everyone on the Daily.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm glad you're home Roy, but like everyone else, I hope you won't try to do too much. I know being in bed does take away muscle tone and strength, but so does having had pneumonia. I'm not sure how cold it will be where you are, but I hope you stay in and rest (maybe walking around in the house). Just know we all care!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I had an interesting morning.  As I walked down to our mailbox I saw a car parked across the street with the logo Evening Magazine (a Seattle television show).  Two people, a man and a woman, were walking around and looking at  our neighborhood's glacial erratic rock (or "the rock" as we call it).  It's the largest in the state and possibly in the country.

Concerned about what they would say  on their program, I struck up a conversation with them.  The reason I was concerned is that any time the rock is in the news, they neglect to mention that this is not in a public park, but private property and climbing the rock is not allowed.  Not only that but we've had to put up with vandalism, graffiti, and even rock climbers have pounded stakes into it.  We really would rather it isn't publicized, but understand the interest, of course.  As interesting as it is, most of us would rather it wasn't in the middle of our neighborhood.  

I spoke mainly with the woman who is a segment producer for the show (while her partner was climbing all over the top of it 🙄).   She thanked me over and over for letting them know  and wanted me to be interviewed for the show --- to which I declined, no television interviews for me!  Instead I suggested she contact our HOA President and talk to him. 

She did promise to say that contrary to what has been printed before, this is on private property.  

We had a nice conversation and even some laughs when I told them that I get mail for the Lake Stevens Monster (even a loan application) because my address is listed as the rock's address.  

Edited to add Roy @rafinmdI agree with everyone else, be careful and don't overdo -- I know that's hard!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, everyone.

While I agree with everyone else's advice @rafinmd I do understand the need to get to the grocery, pharmacy, and Fire Station.  UPS might have waited?   I hope you were driving rather than walking all that distance.  I'm glad they put the rollator together for you at the Fire Station.  Maybe they can take turns doing grocery and pharmacy runs.  But, you are totally correct that you need to get up and walk around.  Getting up and walking can actually help combat the pneumonia.  Small steps, though.  

Ok, I have the pictures of the bedroom everyone wanted.  

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.1051b37ebfcd57885edab9e7ada80475.jpg

The dresser under the window had to be moved in from the other room.  We had to put it on its end to move it.  

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.c31fe86d684a326dac6aba071d18c89c.jpg

Here you can see the mirror closet.  The ceilings are too low to attach the mirrors to the dresser, but this room is kind of like a house of mirrors, so no problem.

IMG_2110.thumb.jpg.8db07139596c5030104d0b393d9f8f01.jpg

The second closet is the one with white doors behind the door to the room.  The doors need to be cut down as they drag along the carpet.  You can also see the entrance to the walk in closet at the far left.  Several mirrors reside in there as well as a couple of closet organizers with drawers and racks for hanging clothes.  I need to go shopping!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

May I please second everyone's opinions that our dear friend Roy had too busy of a day?  Even doing half those errands would be a lot for someone recovering from pneumonia and just out of the hospital.  Roy, I agree that you probably have friends, firemen, or neighbors who could pick up a prescription or food items.  Take it easier tomorrow.  Don't get up early tomorrow -- I can post again for you in the morning because I'm up early anyway!  Give it a few days. 

Hugs from your CC Daily family. 🤗

• Like 21

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

While I agree with everyone else's advice @rafinmd I do understand the need to get to the grocery, pharmacy, and Fire Station.  UPS might have waited?   I hope you were driving rather than walking all that distance.  I'm glad they put the rollator together for you at the Fire Station.  Maybe they can take turns doing grocery and pharmacy runs.  But, you are totally correct that you need to get up and walk around.  Getting up and walking can actually help combat the pneumonia.  Small steps, though.  

Ok, I have the pictures of the bedroom everyone wanted.  

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.1051b37ebfcd57885edab9e7ada80475.jpg

The dresser under the window had to be moved in from the other room.  We had to put it on its end to move it.  

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.c31fe86d684a326dac6aba071d18c89c.jpg

Here you can see the mirror closet.  The ceilings are too low to attach the mirrors to the dresser, but this room is kind of like a house of mirrors, so no problem.

IMG_2110.thumb.jpg.8db07139596c5030104d0b393d9f8f01.jpg

The second closet is the one with white doors behind the door to the room.  The doors need to be cut down as they drag along the carpet.  You can also see the entrance to the walk in closet at the far left.  Several mirrors reside in there as well as a couple of closet organizers with drawers and racks for hanging clothes.  I need to go shopping!

Your room looks great Debbie!  Excellent job painting.  And so many closets.  You definitely need to splurge on a few new clothes to help fill them.  

Did you make the quilt?  It's beautiful!  Love the colors and pattern.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your room looks great Debbie!  Excellent job painting.  And so many closets.  You definitely need to splurge on a few new clothes to help fill them.  

Did you make the quilt?  It's beautiful!  Love the colors and pattern.

Very nice. Good job!

• Like 14

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

If I take a tender to shore on Santorini, what are those buildings before you go up the hill? 

The biggest building was the base for the funicular, there were a few little souvenir shops, I think, maybe a coffee shop.  Fishing boats...

We were last there October 27, 2016.  Tony, @sailingdutchy, organized a great tour to Akrotirii and a bunch of small towns, including Oia, we also went to the black sand beach and had a look at the red sand beach.  I don't know how you get down to that beach, though!  DD dabbled her toes in the water and Pat took a nap.

P1020781.thumb.JPG.df5c1d2bd662493541b9361ec159f8d7.JPG

At the base of the zigzag roadP1050140.thumb.JPG.728232baf04f96b31e17a667cc16887a.JPG

Black sand beach

P1020835.thumb.JPG.5cc5ab7294a04a0c76c31f9b6102467f.JPG

P1050035.thumb.JPG.01b09e39b11d81bce0839292c64a8e04.JPG

P1050033.thumb.JPG.42ec3d53567b6658aa5e94852ff617c1.JPG

Red sand beach

P1020832.thumb.JPG.5d093214b796338e3706841b356562bb.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6

I've read today, but not joined in until now.  Trying to get the next cruise  organized, too, and playing with stamps.  Roy, I'm glad you are home, hope you sleep better tonight, like the others I add "Don't overdo it!" Jacqui, that's too bad about the elbow, but I imagine it will make it easier for exams, X-rays, etc., if you have it in a splint.  Don't want that pin moving around!

Graham, that's too bad your Sarah is not doing as well as you had hoped.  Our DD is like that, too, we don't trust her when she says all is fine - I want to see for myself!  Of course she's on the other side of the country....

Prayers today for all the needy Dailyites!  Covid is still rearing its ugly head, it seems.  Boo.  I'm still huffing and coughing from my "cold".  But at least the gut has settled down and now on this diet I'm enjoying the food porn.   Fish and salad tonight.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1