Windjammer desserts look way better than they taste

time4u2go

Just off the Wonder.  Had ice cream and toppings every time we went to WJ. At least 4 times out of 7 anyway.  There bread pudding and sauce is quite tasty IMO.  MDR I too liked the Ket Lime Pie, carrot cake and apple pastry dessert.  Can't remember the other desserts. LOL

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:11 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I have always felt the same as the OP about the desserts on RCI. However, last week on Odyssey I was very surprised to find that some of the Windjammer desserts were actually very good. I'm not quite sure how that happened. 🤔

We've had several decent desserts up in Serenade WJ this week. Mainly cakes. The Mudslide cookies are to die for. 

But the real star has been fruit. Ripe, but not overly ripe. Pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe. Very consistent all week

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, dada2199cc said:

I'll shame them endlessly?

Why?

As a restaurant owner in Florida, we can't sell french fries with salt anymore.  Period.  Ever.

When folks ASK for salted fries, we just give them fries -- with salt on the side.

Prove me wrong.

Been in FL seven years now, and you are so wrong. Where in FL is this?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:07 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

We live in Florida…. You can’t sell fries with salt here now?  I guess you can see we don’t go out to eat here much, but is this really a thing here? When did this start? 

I call BS on that silliness. SMH

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, time4u2go said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find that desserts in the Windjammer look really nice, but are almost always disappointing in how they taste.  They have little flavor (other than sweet).  Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

No you aren't!... I only have a single RCI's experience on Allure in Europe a few years ago (which is not representative of a whole trademark by any means), plus some experiences on US land hotel chains here in Europe as well. US based venues are pretty much always sweeter than their EU counterparts on desserts, but yeah: RCI has had, at least for me, easily the 1st place on the most sweet dessert offering I have ever had, both on the buffet or the MDR, at a point of when I started to not asking for dessert at dinner from day 4 or so, or I simply asked for a fruit plate! Hope they adjust as the healthier oriented new generations may demand it. No need for that sugar quantity! Let the other ingredients to be the kings, queens, princes and princesses of the desserts while sugar joyfully links them all!...

On 2/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, time4u2go said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find that desserts in the Windjammer look really nice, but are almost always disappointing in how they taste.  They have little flavor (other than sweet).  Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

Windjammer desserts have always been very, very average. Like a few of the cookies that they offer but that is about it.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We've had several decent desserts up in Serenade WJ this week. Mainly cakes. The Mudslide cookies are to die for. 

But the real star has been fruit. Ripe, but not overly ripe. Pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe. Very consistent all week

We'll be on Serenade in April.  Can you tell me what time is  Early Traditional Dining ?

On 2/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, UnregisteredUser said:

I agree 100% most of the desserts look fantastic, but tastes VERY blend.

I am a really big sucker for cheesecake but rarely ever takes more than one or two bites out of my plate and wonder how they could fail so miserably with cheesecake when even the "kits with just add water" you can buy in the grocery stores and make yourself tastes better.

Unfortunately I am to well behaved to answer honestly when they ask me how everything tasted...

Probably use cheese cake flavoring with little cream cheese. 🤷🏼‍♀️

On 2/7/2023 at 2:17 PM, dada2199cc said:

…As a restaurant owner in Florida, we can't sell french fries with salt anymore.  Period.  Ever.

When folks ASK for salted fries, we just give them fries -- with salt on the side.

Prove me wrong.

Never heard of such a thing. Interesting you own a restaurant in Florida and only work a few hours a week like you stated before. Do tell. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Do you think the newer, larger ships are better prepared? Staffing and trained chefs.

Interesting question. Maybe RCI figures that new cruisers are more likely to book newer ships an it is more important to impress them than it is established cruisers who are more likely to cut RCI a break?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Interesting question. Maybe RCI figures that new cruisers are more likely to book newer ships an it is more important to impress them than it is established cruisers who are more likely to cut RCI a break?

I hope I didn't make a mistake helping my grandson and his wife book an October, 2023 cruise on Adventure.  They looked at Allure, but he price was above their budget for an OV balcony and they really wanted to sail out of FLL.  This will be his 5th cruise and her 1st.

34 minutes ago, mek said:

I hope I didn't make a mistake helping my grandson and his wife book an October, 2023 cruise on Adventure.  They looked at Allure, but he price was above their budget for an OV balcony and they really wanted to sail out of FLL.  This will be his 5th cruise and her 1st.

I can't speak for the present situation but I have never had a bad cruise on Adventure. Though the entertainment on the ship can't hold a candle to that on Allure. 

• Like 2

When we cruise I make a good attempt to avoid the desserts.

My weakness is the carrot cake and plain old vanilla ice cream with chocolate topping.

I usually can stay away from all other treats.

Most attempts to minimize the treats go out to sea by the third day.

That's is when you see me on the walking track after breakfast.

However, they do look tempting.

My major claim to fame in making a disaster out of eating properly is traditional Lays potato chips.

Now, that I am hearing they are removing the snack size   packages from the ship, I should be safe.

I hope.

Be safe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Probably use cheese cake flavoring with little cream cheese. 🤷🏼‍♀️

On the Radiance  OTS, it was obvious if real cream cheese was used.

The cream cheese had been frozen and was that lovely grainy, crumbly texture.

The smoked salmon display in the WJ was a winner - platters of various types of salmon (RCL couldn't screw that up) accompanied by a bowl of cold already toasted bagel halves and crumbly cream cheese.

Desserts are, by nature, sweet.  When a ship's pastry staff prepares tens of thousands of desserts during a weeklong cruise it's not as easy to prepare ones that are somehow distinctively tasteful on some way.  I ate all meals on my November 2022 7 nighter on Serenade in the WJ.  I'll admit that I don't eat a lot of dessert.  But my vanilla ice cream tasted like vanilla.  I ate a lot of fresh fruit for dessert ... and each tasted like it is supposed to.  And the two slices of cake I ate was, yes, sweet - which is what I wanted and enjoyed.  I occasionally eat at buffet restaurants near where I live ... and I don't expect everything to taste like a steakhouse restaurant.  Having spent time observing so many large-sized cruise passengers on my journey, they seemed happy with the several or more desserts they took at each meal.  😏

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't speak for the present situation but I have never had a bad cruise on Adventure. Though the entertainment on the ship can't hold a candle to that on Allure. 

I think the fact that Adventure has an ice rink, flow ridder, and rock climbing wall that will provide enough entertainment for them.

They were married in Sept, 2021 and options were limited, so this is a honeymoon cruise. They wanted the balcony, but if they decide down the road they would like to go on an Oasis class ship, they can always book an OV to keep the price down.