Coco Cay capacity to be increased to 13,000 per day

Help me with the math here... how do you hit 13,000 people with only 2 ships?  Icon is 5,600 pax (at double occupancy).  I suppose they are considering staff/crew as well? 

This many more pax won't help the price of those cabanas come down any 😛

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

I like the idea of an adults only beach precisely because I don't like children.  The farther away the better IMO.

There was a time when I would ask for the "Non-Smoking, Child-Free" section in restaurants.  This was back when restaurants had Smoking areas.  I would say it with a smile, but you know, they usually put me away from the kids.   Note, that boyfriend worked evenings so we usually ate pretty late.  

• Like 1

I’m not really sure it would matter much. We’ve been there on the Anthem when the Harmony was there. Which would be north of 10,000 already. Add another beach along with the current space, the additional people should easily be accommodated. 

There are plenty of areas where one can be fairly secluded and lots of places to experience the castaway feel of the ocean...then plenty of high energy places like the water park and bars etc.  We loved Coco Cay when it was the sleepy deserted island, but we also enjoy it today...something for everyone.  After all, the reefs and critters are still there, the lovely water etc.  And no competition from thousands of other vacationers like at Disney.  I loved all the venues there but the crowds not so much.  Give me Coco any day, but hey...lower those Beach Club prices!

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

Help me with the math here... how do you hit 13,000 people with only 2 ships?  Icon is 5,600 pax (at double occupancy).  I suppose they are considering staff/crew as well? 

Icon’s maximum guest capacity is 7,600.

Wonder’s is 6,988.  
If those two ships both docked that would be potentially be14,588 guests.  

Of course, ships are rarely at absolute max capacity and not all guests are off the ships (some coming at going at different times of day and some staying aboard for the day).  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I really don't understand all the comments.  When I was a youth, going to the beach, included a boardwalk.  I went to the beach and laid out, than the boardwalk to play games, get on a ride etc.  Why is CocoCay any different?  No one makes you go to the water park or get on the balloon.  But if you want to, it exists just like the beach.  

Then all the people that complain that not enough swimming on the ship, and not enough chairs, but than complain that the beach is too crowded?  I never waited in lines to get food that were any longer than the Windjammer.  Always easily got a drink.   Plus I have not yet went to the water park, since I have no interest.

It's an island for families to enjoy and plenty of beach front to swim in

Key words here:  People Complain.  

2 hours ago, Denversail said:

Also curious where hideaway beach is. I don't see it on the map. Is it near south beach?

I don't know anything about the future Hideaway Beach.  What's been made public now?  

13 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Has anyone heard what the charge will be for the adult area?

Charge? 

I'm out -- I like Chill Island and would only have hit the adult-only area to see what it's like. 

33 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Has anyone heard what the charge will be for the adult area?

18 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Key words here:  People Complain.  

I don't know anything about the future Hideaway Beach.  What's been made public now?  

Charge? 

I'm out -- I like Chill Island and would only have hit the adult-only area to see what it's like. 

It’s Royal Caribbean. Of course will be a fee to use the new Hideaway Beach. Expect “demand based pricing” like they do with everything else to extract the maximum revenue from their traveling ATM’s, err I mean “guests”

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Very unlikely you will ever see three ships there at the same time.

Article from 2019, but Coco Cay was designed for 3 ships, not 2. Back then they were expecting up to 12,000 to be at CocoCay at full capacity, but now I guess the number is 13,000 with Icon class.

“We’re kind of feeling pretty optimistic about the potential for three ship calls versus two ship calls that could take us up to 12,000 (guests) a day,” Michael Bayley added. (former CEO)

https://cruise-arabia.com/2019/05/01/royal-caribbean-says-perfect-day-at-cococay-could-handle-three-oasis-ships-at-once/

3 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

When does hideaway beach open? I’m going to be there in two weeks and would make a bee line for an adults only area

Fourth Quarter 2023 according to the Earnings Call that happened yesterday or today.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/02/07/royal-caribbean-executives-talk-cococay-expansion-higher-prices-more

9 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

It’s not built yet, so you won’t see on a map

But when you are on the tram heading toward the back side of the caye, there a whole fenced off area to your right across from the Waterpark but before South Beach.  On the current map it's all trees.

4 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

I'll find out in March, we'll be on the Wonder with the Odyssey being at CoCo Cay as well.  It will be our first trip to the island.  With Hideaway Beach being adult only I'd imagine most of those guests would stay in that area and not use the other activities on the island like the water park or other attractions that are geared towards families with kids, pure speculation on my part.

When in March?  I am on the 3/19 sailing and it looks like Odyssey is with us too

4 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Icon will carry 7600 guests at full capacity,  up to 6680 guests on Symphony. Some of the ships are now back to sailing at 108%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never been, but from the pics I’ve seen, I can’t even imagine having 2 mega ships there at one time, let alone double that! Talk about 2 hour water slide lines and fighting over lounge chairs. CoCo Cay has always seemed really cool, but it would really detract having that many people there.

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

But when you are on the tram heading toward the back side of the caye, there a whole fenced off area to your right across from the Waterpark but before South Beach.  On the current map it's all trees.

I realise you can see where it’s being built, but my point was the person asking wouldn’t be able to see Hideaway beach on a map (yet)

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It’s Royal Caribbean. Of course will be a fee to use the new Hideaway Beach. Expect “demand based pricing” like they do with everything else to extract the maximum revenue from their traveling ATM’s, err I mean “guests”

I have no idea if there will be a fee to use the adult area  but I wonder if Royal Caribbean ever imagined that the Coco Beach club would get close to $300 per person on some dates. It is $283 per person (that includes a small % off sale) on an upcoming March cruise. Seems like the more they raise the prices the more people want the item.  

They will find that there is a market for another “exclusive” area and folks will pay almost anything to be there. 

m