Coco Cay capacity to be increased to 13,000 per day

They are planning for two Icon class ships therefore the need to increase capacity.  This is essentially about preparing the marketing foundation that capacity is 13k in 2023.  They could make up whatever statement they want.  Capacity is 16k.  There... feel better? 

It's a made up number that is elastic and comes from a place where pseudo science meets the marketing department.  Seriously if they state capacity is 20k what basis do any of us have to argue that number based on what science?

The other thought about Waterpark of the Seas (Icon) jamming the PDCC waterpark is why would guests on Icon pay money for a waterpark at PDCC when they have been living on a waterpark since they embarked?  Stay on the ship!  

I bet they are regretting previously stating a capacity.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We like the idea of an adults only beach, not because we don’t like children but hopefully it will have better lunch selections.

If the adult area is an area you have to pay to access, then you may see a different lunch selection.  If it is just a zone of the island with no charge to access it (like the Solarium on the ship), then expect the same food there as at the other non-pay areas.

10 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I'm most curios how Icon will impact the overall island since she is designed from the ground up to to sail with 3 or more passengers in most of her cabins. 

Yes, yrs ago was hard to find Cabins that held 3-4 passengers, now older Ships have added these to former 2 passenger Cabins. When expanded even Labadee had many as 3 Ships a day at that time, though most the Ships and Capacity smaller then. But obviously the 3 wouldnt be all be Icon or Oasis Class at same time

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Article from 2019, but Coco Cay was designed for 3 ships, not 2.

That may be, but the reality is that other than perhaps folks with vision problems, no one has ever reported that ever happening since the pier was built. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

Do they have dock space for 3 ships?

Don't see how that would be possible - maybe some real small Silverseas ship might fit on the shorter section of the pier nearest the island - thou that's another thing that I don't think has ever happened.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Don't see how that would be possible - maybe some real small Silverseas ship might fit on the shorter section of the pier nearest the island - thou that's another thing that I don't think has ever happened.

Thanks, I didn't think so. But I don't know a whole lot about ships and dock space, just know enough to get on before it sails.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. It is not only the dock space, but if they stack ships, the width of the channel to allow ships to maneuver around each other. 

I posted an article earlier where the former CEO of Royal Caribbean says the island was built to hold three Oasis Class ships on the same day. I have no idea where the third one would dock, but that's the quote from Royal. My expectation would be that the third ship would be a much smaller class of ship. 

17 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Some people are saying it can handle three ships if the third is the Disney Wish.

The large ships can't tender.  Pier designed for two ships only. 

Disney has their own private island.  I know there was a silly thread talking about the Wish being there...but no one knew for sure if it was or why, and was a guess they were there to anchor off shore in bad weather. 

Edited by island lady

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I posted an article earlier where the former CEO of Royal Caribbean says the island was built to hold three Oasis Class ships on the same day. I have no idea where the third one would dock, but that's the quote from Royal. My expectation would be that the third ship would be a much smaller class of ship. 

Space for 20K passengers,,,, 20K loungers,,, capacity to make 50K hamburgers and hot dogs,,, sure. Space to dock 3 ships,,, not so much. 

17 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

If the adult area is an area you have to pay to access, then you may see a different lunch selection.  If it is just a zone of the island with no charge to access it (like the Solarium on the ship), then expect the same food there as at the other non-pay areas.

I was just hoping they would be as nice as Disney is in the adult only area and give us a little different lunch,  but then I should know better because when we were in a GS on Wonder and were in Labadee we got the same lunch as everyone else and we were told it would be different.

17 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

If they're planning to dock three ships -- especially if one or more is a big ship -- I certainly hope they're leaving enough of the no-cost chairs for the majority of us.  I'm pretty sure the average cruiser isn't willing to pay $$$ for a slightly upgraded chair and lunch.  I can see charging for the water park -- that's providing a different activity.

Coco Cay has been a huge selling point for Royal, but if they don't allow enough space, that's going to change -- and once the reputation is lost, it's hard to get back.

16 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

Do they have dock space for 3 ships?

It might depend upon the size of the ships.  

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

Isn’t the age limit for the solarium 16, not 14?

I thought it was 16? 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, island lady said:

Opposite end of where the ship docks.  Used to be a nice place to walk to on an actual nature trail.  Great spot to sit up on the bluff to view the ship tendered just off shore.  Sigh...gone are the days.  

On Anthem and only us.  Many loungers empty.  There’s construction going on in back of the initial tram stop. 

• Like 1