The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 18th, 2023

cat shepard

20 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Hello all , just quickly before supper time ,

A few of my favourite whale pictures from our 2015 cruise on the Zaandam to Antarctica and this scene went on for about 30 minutes when about a dozen of Orca’s were feasting on a baby Humpback whale about 70 yards from the ship . Just an amazing scene from the animal world , it was great that our captain  stopped the ship and we were getting closer and closer . Something I will not easily forget .

image.thumb.jpeg.4334ebdd26901081af4b511cc6ad7c41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5adb915645f8dd74328d578da22e7ab1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b88f74510de93f70eaf9d88e28f6d86f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d93a293f9d8e79604b4c240829391669.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a1397a18a3179ee64d444e6e1d65a515.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d41173a82b7d84113822f76bb089794e.jpeg

Take care and have a nice weekend everybody ! 

Tony 

Amazing whale photos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's whale pictures today.  I decided to add a few of my own.

We've done whale watching tours in Juneau, Sitka and Ice Strait Point, and these are a combination from all our tours.

These first pictures are from Icy Strait Point/Hoonah.  In 2010,on the Amsterdam, there was an older male whale who stayed in the bay year round.  He learned to bubble feed by himself.  This is Fredrico (Freddy) as he surfaced.

Freddy.jpg.ac8c49a57dbc9cb10a685f3f8b26cf38.jpg

When we went out into the open water that year we saw quite a few humpbacks.  

P1040463.thumb.JPG.8cd4baa1638cb9927e7ae9bea9cdbc97.JPG

In  2015, on Statendam, the humpbacks weren't bubble feeding but feeding near the surface off Icy Strait Point.  Our boat captain tried to maintain the correct distance from the whales, but they were not following the rules.  This one surfaced almost under the boat.

DSC03804.thumb.JPG.323a4c474e01783e796cf50832c3010c.JPG

Whale watching in Sitka, also in 2010, was a bust as far as humpback whales were concerned.  We saw a pod of orcas, and a raft of these cuties.  I couldn't resist adding them to the whale pictures since sea otters are my favorite marine creature.

P1000665.thumb.JPG.f486d551f47ed0f5a75b333916e7f491.JPG

Our first whale watching trip in Juneau was pretty much a scenic cruise as all the whales were in Icy Strait Point.  In 2018 on Coral Princess, we were luckier, and saw quite a few humpback whales and orcas.

I was lucky to get this picture of the fluke as the whale dived.P1040461.thumb.JPG.2b4664cd2e1e9e77d61d1f1efeda3b54.JPG

A little while later, I got a picture of an orca's fluke as it dived.

DSC03826.thumb.JPG.a4cb13a4d65af5b97ec8c565ac666544.JPG

If your whale watching trips are a bust, there is this statue of a humpback whale breeching near the bridge to Douglas Island in Juneau.

DSC03806.thumb.JPG.2154469dc19846738bd3fed0ba7dec2a.JPG

Lenda

Wow.

That last photo in particular is awesome.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For some on the world cruise the next few days will be poignant as the Volendam nears Fremantle where so many world cruises ended last time.

Volendam is doing the Grand South America. Zuiderdam is doing the World Cruise and approaching Fremantle.  Those who were on Amsterdam in 2020 are having a get together during the time in Fremantle. Quite a few are involved.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Koningsdam in San Diego this morning , 🙂  my favorite dam ship 

kdamtoday.JPG

Well, it’s not mine right now - unless they get a doctor who can read an X-Ray and a nurse who is a little more empathetic.   

Bon Voyage @Seasick Sailor and @57redbird

F5B37A87-B3D2-4D9A-BDA4-B1B285C21CED.gif.b3f9b0c140cdeab6840d89f1a0a06e19.gif

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites!

It's been nonstop fun here in San Diego. I had so much baby time and our little nephew is the sweetest and cutest!

47356.thumb.jpeg.014a3b85e51615de217af76045517e35.jpeg

47461.jpeg.52cdfe050bda7f2299a46f62413a0862.jpeg

Absolutely sweet pics.  Enjoy.  Have to say I love the dog squeezing him/herself in 😝 ♥️ 

@rafinmd thanks on letting us know @erewhon posted on the sail a way.  Very relived to hear it!

57 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Just stumbled across this while looking at information for the Isle of Lewis!

The river cruise company Victoria Cruise Lines is entering the ocean cruise market with two former Holland America Line ships. The cruise line is leader in luxury cruising on China’s Yangtze River, with seven river ships in operation.

Victoria Cruise Lines announced that the two former HAL ships, the Veendam and the Ryndam, now renamed Victoria Majestic and Victoria Amazing, will offer affordable experience at sea, featuring a long-term residential cruise experience.

Starting in May 2023, the company's two ocean-going ships will offer a residential cruise experience traveling to more than 200 inspiring global destinations.

With its headquarters in Limassol, Cyprus, Victoria Cruises Line offers cruise enthusiasts the opportunity to rent luxury suites and premium staterooms for a minimum of six months or for a long-term period.  

Victoria Cruises Line's around-the-world trip will take approximately 27 months with about 540 days spent at ports. The ships will spend an average of 1-7 days in each port, so its guests can explore the port city and the surrounding villages at their leisure.

"Victoria Cruises Line offers our customers a unique lifestyle that is completely new to the shipping industry," said Olavs Zvinelis, CEO of Victoria Cruises Line. "We provide rental cabins at affordable prices to clients who want to live on a boat and travel the world without any strings attached. It's our mission to deliver a unique houseboat experience for our residents, who will live on board like a little family."

Did you see the monthly rental 😱. This is one time a cruise ship is not cheaper or even close to a retirement home 😝 

51 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I just want the time to decompress and slow down a little.  Of course, my volunteer stuff will keep me busy!

If you have to take a break from everything. - do it please.  If you feel the need to decompress - do it.  Listen to your body and brain (which I hear speaking).  There’s nothing wrong with decompression time and you’ve earned it.  Please listen to you and take care of yourself. 🤗   If we don’t, no one else will 😔 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard  thank you for posting the daiyl and the locations of the HAL Fleet.

Another New Zealand wine today, have tried several of the Mount Maude varieties.

We were staying in Timaru earlier in the week, one morning watched the Seabourn Odyssey arrive into port. Have a lot of reading of the "Dailies" to catch up with.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the whale photos today.

@puppycanducruise  lovely photo of your Orchid.   Months ago, someone here on a daily advised me to only give my  Orchid 1/2 cup of water once a week, which I have done, it has been flowering since before Christmas,  so another thank you to that person...... was it you?

@Rowsby  pleased that your friends are safe. 

The Hawkes Bay  region has been very badly affected  by Cyclone Gabrielle.  Sadly, the death toll is now 11.

https://www.stuff.co.nz   for news reports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

@RedneckBob I meant to mention the other day, that your Valentines Date sounded spectacular.  I love Sonny's and they have closed all of them in the Atlanta area, and Macon area, and south of Atlanta area, so when we are in Florida, we always stop. Followed by DQ?  OMG how romantic!  I told DH how great your date sounded, he looked at me, smiled, and said, to me, " yup, you're a redneck.".

Tonight in our favorite BBQ place which we frequent (at least once for breakfast, and once for dinner a week,) a gentleman walked up to DH, told him that he was a Christian and asked if he could pray for him, to ask God to make him creatively well again.  And so he prayed over Chuck, and then took the check the waitress had left us, and paid our bill. We were speechless.  And I remain so.  HIs name was Michael. Angel on earth.  

@erewhonI am very happy to hear that you are well, I thought you had said something about a vacation a couple of weeks ago, but then Mother Nature hit your island, and I figured you were away.  

Glad to know you are OK!

I have some research to do regarding our Alaska cruise.  I guess Dan will call me tomorrow if he was able to book the Butchart Gardens when we now stop in Victoria, and that we can use that money from the other excursion, and I can get some money back.  Still have to eat in Vancouver for 4 days..

@Cruising-alongYour fur grand children are so cute!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@RedneckBob I meant to mention the other day, that your Valentines Date sounded spectacular.  I love Sonny's and they have closed all of them in the Atlanta area, and Macon area, and south of Atlanta area, so when we are in Florida, we always stop. Followed by DQ?  OMG how romantic!  I told DH how great your date sounded, he looked at me, smiled, and said, to me, " yup, you're a redneck.".

Tonight in our favorite BBQ place which we frequent (at least once for breakfast, and once for dinner a week,) a gentleman walked up to DH, told him that he was a Christian and asked if he could pray for him, to ask God to make him creatively well again.  And so he prayed over Chuck, and then took the check the waitress had left us, and paid our bill. We were speechless.  And I remain so.  HIs name was Michael. Angel on earth.  

@erewhonI am very happy to hear that you are well, I thought you had said something about a vacation a couple of weeks ago, but then Mother Nature hit your island, and I figured you were away.  

Glad to know you are OK!

I have some research to do regarding our Alaska cruise.  I guess Dan will call me tomorrow if he was able to book the Butchart Gardens when we now stop in Victoria, and that we can use that money from the other excursion, and I can get some money back.  Still have to eat in Vancouver for 4 days..

@Cruising-alongYour fur grand children are so cute!

Sonny is one of our favorites. We have only two left in our area, the closest is 40 minutes away. Use to have family living in Stone Mountain and visited there a lot.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I sure am! This is what I came home to this afternoon after the baby shower. 🙂 Two sleepy kittens on a blanket-covered couch. 

00D7D17D-34D1-4628-A967-B0F0BA3B40B6.thumb.jpeg.22ad235a386db0433974879b951904d2.jpeg

E733DEE5-ECFD-4BA4-9794-045DF14054AF.thumb.jpeg.ca85439f90e908a73db1285ae8104712.jpeg

Awwww ♥️ 

10 hours ago, erewhon said:

@cat shepard  thank you for posting the daiyl and the locations of the HAL Fleet.

Another New Zealand wine today, have tried several of the Mount Maude varieties.

We were staying in Timaru earlier in the week, one morning watched the Seabourn Odyssey arrive into port. Have a lot of reading of the "Dailies" to catch up with.

So glad to hear from you and know that you are safe 👍 

So sorry to hear about Hawkes Bay and the lives lost there. 😔 🙏🏻 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the whale photos today.

@puppycanducruise  lovely photo of your Orchid.   Months ago, someone here on a daily advised me to only give my  Orchid 1/2 cup of water once a week, which I have done, it has been flowering since before Christmas,  so another thank you to that person...... was it you?

Not sure if it was me or not, but that's what I do.  Glad your orchid is flowering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1