Celebrity Cruise Pricing

High on the Seas

10 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

You can get a true luxury small ship or boutique cruise experience with better food, higher crew ratios, and stellar service for less.  We are looking elsewhere for our future cruises.

you get get all of that on smaller ship cruise lines.  Those prices are not "reasonable" either, although there are values to be had per day.  We have looked and sailed on those lines - Oceania, Seabourne.  

For some people those lines create another problem depending on how adventuresome they are of how much time they have .  The small line ships generally dont have weekly roundtrips from an easy to get to part.  Many of them are more than 7 days (not good if you are not retired) or are one way from different ports (airfare gets expensive and multiple legs) .  

The appeal of cruising for many is the simplicity of flying someplace easy to get to the night before, sail on Saturday and fly home the next Saturday .  X (and others like MSC) have figured out that there are enough well off.non-retired people out there that are now going to expensive land resorts that are potential X customers 

10 minutes ago, tfred said:

The appeal of cruising for many is the simplicity of flying someplace easy to get to the night before, sail on Saturday and fly home the next Saturday .  X (and others like MSC) have figured out that there are enough well off.non-retired people out there that are now going to expensive land resorts that are potential X customers 

The appeal of cruising for us (especially me) was the fact that all we had to do was show up and board the ship without having to really think of anything else.  Land vacay's have more thinking/planning  involved but we managed to find a very nice all inclusive resort in Mexico, five star rated, that became our land alternative to cruising during Covid.  For 6 nights in a beautiful resort we were able to have a suite with private pool, fully stocked bar (and restocked), full menu room service, VIP access to a private lounge and beach, seven to 10 included dining venues, and premium drinks throughout the stay.  We got all this for nearly half what we pay for a cruise offering the same amenities.  We enjoyed the resort and visited three times before getting back on a ship last August.  A recent mock booking at that resort (spurred on by this thread) has shown an increase in rates but not nearly at the % of what I've noticed on Celebrity (and others).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

At least you haven’t pushed back at all on the notion being ridiculous. That’s encouraging. 

If pricing for all hotels and cruises is ridiculous, at what point does it become no longer ridiculous and just normal? 

If everybody thought the prices were ridiculous and didn't pay what was being asked, the hotels/cruise lines would have to reduce their prices. But that's not happening. Which suggests to me they aren't ridiculous. 

My 10 night Beyond sailing in Sept comes to roughly $670 per night for an AQ cabin. That's all included, everything. Food, drinks, entertainment. 

So where else could I go for a similar experience on land for same price? Sandals resorts are all inclusive, but out of their 17 resorts only 2 of them have any rooms for under $670/night at the same time in September. In most of the resorts the cheapest rooms are around $800-900/night. 

I previously posted that a 10 night stay in the Wynn in Vegas or a Hard Rock in Orlando are roughly the same price per night as the Beyond. However, once you add in 3 meals a day plus drinks for 2 people to those hotel stays then you're looking at the total cost being not far off double. Decent hotels in Miami, NYC, LA, SF all have similar per night costs. 

If I look at alternate cruises, a Princess 14 night September Med cruise in a balcony cabin with classic drink package equivalent (not quite an equal comparison with AQ but as close as you can get I think) works out at around $670 per night. About the same as the Beyond and i know which ship I'd rather be on. A 12 night HAL cruise in the med also works out at around $670 night. 

So X prices are decent compared to similar standard hotels, especially when you factor in food and drink prices, plus they're in line with other cruise lines. 

If the complaints about pricing are mainly to do with suite pricing, then it is what it is. Don't sail in a suite or don't sail at all. But whatever the prices are, many people are obviously happy to pay it or else they would come down. Also, suite pricing affects less than 10% of X passengers so not sure it's affecting many people tbh. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OysterD said:

If pricing for all hotels and cruises is ridiculous, at what point does it become no longer ridiculous and just normal? 

If everybody thought the prices were ridiculous and didn't pay what was being asked, the hotels/cruise lines would have to reduce their prices. But that's not happening. Which suggests to me they aren't ridiculous. 

My 10 night Beyond sailing in Sept comes to roughly $670 per night for an AQ cabin. That's all included, everything. Food, drinks, entertainment. 

So where else could I go for a similar experience on land for same price? Sandals resorts are all inclusive, but out of their 17 resorts only 2 of them have any rooms for under $670/night at the same time in September. In most of the resorts the cheapest rooms are around $800-900/night. 

I previously posted that a 10 night stay in the Wynn in Vegas or a Hard Rock in Orlando are roughly the same price per night as the Beyond. However, once you add in 3 meals a day plus drinks for 2 people to those hotel stays then you're looking at the total cost being not far off double. Decent hotels in Miami, NYC, LA, SF all have similar per night costs. 

If I look at alternate cruises, a Princess 14 night September Med cruise in a balcony cabin with classic drink package equivalent (not quite an equal comparison with AQ but as close as you can get I think) works out at around $670 per night. About the same as the Beyond and i know which ship I'd rather be on. A 12 night HAL cruise in the med also works out at around $670 night. 

So X prices are decent compared to similar standard hotels, especially when you factor in food and drink prices, plus they're in line with other cruise lines. 

If the complaints about pricing are mainly to do with suite pricing, then it is what it is. Don't sail in a suite or don't sail at all. But whatever the prices are, many people are obviously happy to pay it or else they would come down. Also, suite pricing affects less than 10% of X passengers so not sure it's affecting many people tbh. 

Pricing for all vacations in addition to cruises has been a rapidly rising tide that never recedes.  Airline prices, hotel prices, you name it- there is a new baseline.  We either accept it or not go on a nice vacation.  We don't like it at all, but we still want to cruise and go places, especially after missing vacations in the peak years of the pandemic.  Maybe if we have a limited yearly vacation budget we go on fewer cruises overall.  It does not help to wait it out and think prices will go down.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OysterD said:

I never said this. I don't even agree with it. Comparing Celebrity's pricing to a single overpriced hotel on Marco Island was ridiculous. That's all I said.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OysterD said:

Our 10-day Beyond cruise in April 2024 is 332 per night per person (a half of yours).  Our 7-day Ascent cruise in April 2025 is even less per day - $257.

40 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Our 10-day Beyond cruise in April 2024 is 332 per night per person (a half of yours).  Our 7-day Ascent cruise in April 2025 is even less per day - $257.

He was listing the price per cabin not per person. 

Edited by southernbreezes

On 2/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, mcrcruiser said:

When it comes to prices of any commodity, the law of supply & demand comes into focus .Should the prices be too high for any product or service, then that product or service will sit on the shelves until the pricing is driven down . Not hard to understand

I agree that in its simplest form (which you described), the Law of Supply and Demand is not hard to understand, but, as it true in many things in life, the devil is in the details. For example, there is also the economic concept of elasticity. (Look it up on Wikipedia.) Choosing to cruise on Celebrity regardless of significant recent price hikes indicates inelasticity. Explanations include high disposable income, brand loyalty, pent-up demand, low desirability of alternatives -- and even addictiveness ☺️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OysterD said:

That seemed rather dear so just checked and the 2024 westbound TA on Silhouette is $10,200 per person in a Royal Suite, so not that unreasonable compared to what you quoted. And if people are paying that then Celebrity obviously have the pricing right. 

I quoted the east bound TA in 2024. A comparison to this years at $8977 pp…. A year later at $18106 pp….and 2 days shorter…. 

Hey if X can get it more power to them…. But I’m not biting at that price…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tfred said:

JW Marriott Marco Island Florida at the beginning of March is $1200/night for a standard room - $8000 for the week   That price doesnt include food, booze or shows. It will sell out

Still think the X price is ridiculous ?

You cherry picked an expensive hotel during an expensive week to prove your point...I'll cherry pick an inexpensive week at the same hotel...Both our cherrypicked datapoints are pointless and well, ridiculous as Marco Island isn't visited by cruise ships

You were talking about the Apex, which is foreign flagged and visiting Caribbean ports.  Therefore a more "apples to apples" comparison to the Apex vs land resort would be an all inclusive located on a Caribbean location; if you do your research and have flexibility with your dates you can find AI land resorts for under $150/night.  Raise your budget and you're able to elevate your accommodations.  Airfare may be more expensive by a few hundred for some but those of us who would fly from the west coast would have simular airfare and flight time

image.thumb.png.3c3df9c5134ba6bbf0c0ea138a3198b9.png

• Like 1

Well the funny thing about Celebrity pricing is that it is still supply and demand.  I priced the cruise that I am taking this year and it is 50% LOWER next year.  There are still some good deals on Celebrity. You just have to find them.   Perhaps the prices will rise as the ship fills up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You cherry picked an expensive hotel during an expensive week to prove your point...I'll cherry pick an inexpensive week at the same hotel...Both our cherrypicked datapoints are pointless and well, ridiculous as Marco Island isn't visited by cruise ships

You were talking about the Apex, which is foreign flagged and visiting Caribbean ports.  Therefore a more "apples to apples" comparison to the Apex vs land resort would be an all inclusive located on a Caribbean location; if you do your research and have flexibility with your dates you can find AI land resorts for under $150/night.  Raise your budget and you're able to elevate your accommodations.  Airfare may be more expensive by a few hundred for some but those of us who would fly from the west coast would have simular airfare and flight time

image.thumb.png.3c3df9c5134ba6bbf0c0ea138a3198b9.png

we will use your numbers. $500 (with tax) x 6 nights = $3,000.  Meals (2 people) and a few drinks are $250/day x 6 = $1,500 (its actually more than that realistically) Total $4,500

Beaches Ocho Rios is $4600 for a week 

Both of these are standard rooms - not suites 

Just a look at an X week cruise same time frame was $4700 for IV on Apex in March

There is a whole range of AI land resorts out there - some are great many are so so.  People choose a faction spot not just it is in the Caribbean 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tfred said:

we will use your numbers. $500 (with tax) x 6 nights = $3,000.  Meals (2 people) and a few drinks are $250/day x 6 = $1,500 (its actually more than that realistically) Total $4,500

Beaches Ocho Rios is $4600 for a week 

Both of these are standard rooms - not suites 

Just a look at an X week cruise same time frame was $4700 for IV on Apex in March

There is a whole range of AI land resorts out there - some are great many are so so.  People choose a faction spot not just it is in the Caribbean 

You're missing the point of cherry picking numbers is "pointless", this includes selecting an Apex sailing date first and then comparing it to a hotel the same week as that's not how most people vacation plan.  The majority vacation plan by thinking "let's book a sailing in the summer" which gives them the flexibility to select a lower fared sailing.  Cruising is a different experience for an AI resort and therefore there won't be an apples to apples comparison.  However, when it comes to price, the overwhelming majority of the time you'll find an AI resorts for less than sailing on the Apex

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You're missing the point of cherry picking numbers is "pointless", this includes selecting an Apex sailing date first and then comparing it to a hotel the same week as that's not how most people vacation plan.  The majority vacation plan by thinking "let's book a sailing in the summer" which gives them the flexibility to select a lower fared sailing.  Cruising is a different experience for an AI resort and therefore there won't be an apples to apples comparison.  However, when it comes to price, the overwhelming majority of the time you'll find an AI resorts for less than sailing on the Apex

Agree with your comments. For us a Caribbean cruise is very similar to an AI in a similar setting

(Cancun, Dominican R., Jamaica). Outside of the per night cost we also value the following in an AI:

-cancellation immediately before trip with full refund (I know this changes but typically 1-14 days).

For some this may preclude the need for insurance. It removes a lot of pre trip anxiety.

-included and functional internet and phone options

-stocked mini fridge in room, extensive room service options, restaurants, etc. with few if any extra $$ add ons

-grats are included and taxes more reasonable usually

-intangibles... large size of rooms and balconies, multiple beach and pool options-yes chair hogging still occurs but with many more seating opportunities. Love the ocean but on a typical Carib cruise may only be able to spend a few hours on a beach (always with the timer going).

-we value flying out the same morning and (hopefully) enjoying dinner that night in the resort, the fly day before drill, stay at a hotel to cruise the next day hassle and expense is gone. The arrival day and departure are handled without drama and little wasted time or sitting around a cruise terminal

Cruising was our decade(s) long choice for winter getaways but AI now serves this need nicely- we would not have looked into this without the advancing cruise costs. JMHO

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Agree with your comments. For us a Caribbean cruise is very similar to an AI in a similar setting

(Cancun, Dominican R., Jamaica). Outside of the per night cost we also value the following in an AI:

-cancellation immediately before trip with full refund (I know this changes but typically 1-14 days).

For some this may preclude the need for insurance. It removes a lot of pre trip anxiety.

-included and functional internet and phone options

-stocked mini fridge in room, extensive room service options, restaurants, etc. with few if any extra $$ add ons

-grats are included and taxes more reasonable usually

-intangibles... large size of rooms and balconies, multiple beach and pool options-yes chair hogging still occurs but with many more seating opportunities. Love the ocean but on a typical Carib cruise may only be able to spend a few hours on a beach (always with the timer going).

-we value flying out the same morning and (hopefully) enjoying dinner that night in the resort, the fly day before drill, stay at a hotel to cruise the next day hassle and expense is gone. The arrival day and departure are handled without drama and little wasted time or sitting around a cruise terminal

Cruising was our decade(s) long choice for winter getaways but AI now serves this need nicely- we would not have looked into this without the advancing cruise costs. JMHO

100% agree.  Cruising and AI land resorts are two entirely different experiences each with their own pros and cons

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:10 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Last year we stayed at the Four points in FLL before the Apex TA for $175 CAD , this year it is $600 CAD 😱 for a night 

Being from the northeast we like flying to the warmth and staying two nights before boarding. Between increases in flights, hotel, and cruise we need to rethink our vacation plans. We won't stop cruising but we maybe cutting back.

On 2/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, southernbreezes said:

He was listing the price per cabin not per person. 

When it’s not specified, it’s typical to assume a price per person (the way it’s listed on cruise lines’ and agencies’ web sites.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:35 AM, Lastdance said:

What goes up, usually goes down too; it’s a rollercoaster out there; you have opportunity cost/supply and demand all working, so keep track of those prices!  This is nothing more than playing “The Price is Right.”  Also, lower cabin can mean a better cabin for less with MoveUp.  However, it is totally up to you how important a certain cruise/line is and how much time you have to watch it!

I believe RCLs' problem is the 1.6 billion in extra interest costs due to extravagant ships costs and higher rates.

revenues will be 13-14 billion. So  in addition to food and energy and wage cost increases, they have to recover the 1.6 billion which is 12% of current revenues. Simple math.

The Future--looks like the Ascent is #4 for X and there is another one coming. ~$1.5 billion a copy.

Icon Class plan 5 or 6 more.

Lots off OH being added as well as finance costs. And somewhere they have to pay down the debt, or else.

Its not personal, its business.

Cruise lines not the only business with interest cost problems.

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

100% agree.  Cruising and AI land resorts are two entirely different experiences each with their own pros and cons

As are land trips which are totally different. More work, energy expended, but you immerse yourself in local culture and you do not do "drive by" shore excursions as if you are a contestant in supermarket sweep of have to get back to a ship before it leaves without you.

"It does not cost anymore to go first class, you just cannot stay as long".

Now watching Smithsonian Institutes 36 part "A guide to Essential Italy"

On 2/24/2023 at 5:52 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

The appeal of cruising for us (especially me) was the fact that all we had to do was show up and board the ship without having to really think of anything else.  Land vacay's have more thinking/planning  involved but we managed to find a very nice all inclusive resort in Mexico, five star rated, that became our land alternative to cruising during Covid.  For 6 nights in a beautiful resort we were able to have a suite with private pool, fully stocked bar (and restocked), full menu room service, VIP access to a private lounge and beach, seven to 10 included dining venues, and premium drinks throughout the stay.  We got all this for nearly half what we pay for a cruise offering the same amenities.  We enjoyed the resort and visited three times before getting back on a ship last August.  A recent mock booking at that resort (spurred on by this thread) has shown an increase in rates but not nearly at the % of what I've noticed on Celebrity (and others).

All inclusives in Mexico such as Hyatt ziva or Hyatt zilara that were going for around 400 per night for 2 during Covid when they were running about 50% occupancy are now 600 to 700 a night for 2.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

So much for doom and gloom, booking are higher than 2019 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Cruising-rides-2023-Wave-record-highs

I hope so, in 2919 Celebrity did not  have apex or Beyond and Ascent bookins, and RC did not have the two large Oasis class nor booking for Icon of the seas.

Carnival sold a coule of old small ships and replaced with large ships.