Old Cruiser Is New Again! Tell Me What's Changed

emcraft

My husband I went on six RC cruises from 2007 to 2014, then we started having kids and all that cruising came to a screeching halt. I used to be a frequent contributor here but couldn't even log into my old account just now, so I look like a n00b again. We'll be cruising in July (without the kids!) for the first time in nine years, and I have many questions.

1. We'll be on the Harmony, which is a class that didn't exist last time I cruised. What are some basics I need to know about the ship specifically?
  2. What about RC in general? What do I need to know about dining, booking entertainment, etc? In the olden days, we used to eat lunch at the Windjammer and dinner in the dining hall at our predetermined dinnertime, same time and table and waiter every night. I gather that has changed a lot. Should we consider booking individual restaurants ahead of time? Stick with generic dining hall food? Obviously this is a preference thing to a certain extent, but I welcome your opinions.
  3. Our itinerary goes to Coco Cay. Last time I was there, it was a couple picnic shelters and a beach on one side, literally untouched pristine wilderness on the back side. Obviously it's very different now! What can we do at Coco Cay now without spending hundreds or thousands extra? 
  4. Other ports of call are St. Thomas and St. Kitts. We've been to St. Thomas, to Magen's Bay, but never to St. Kitts. Excursion recommendations for either location? General guidance about sticking with RC excursions vs branching out to local companies? I know in the past there were certain islands where it was generally safe to do your own thing vs others where it was highly recommended to stick with RC.
  5. My husband is agonizing about whether to get the alcohol package. Any prevailing opinions here about whether it's worth it? How many drinks a day we'd need to drink to break even? 
  6. How's the wifi? In the past, one of the things we loved most about cruising was being totally disconnected, turning off our phones when we boarded and throwing them in the safe and forgetting about them for a week. Now, with our kids left behind with my parents, we'll need to have the ability to communicate with them. I read or heard somewhere that the wifi isn't so great. Advice?

Obviously a lot of this is subjective, and I remember from the old days here that newbies who didn't bother to read FAQs and search old posts first weren't very, um, popular. But honestly I just feel so out of the loop that I don't know where to begin. Even this site itself looks totally different than it did last time I logged in. If anyone can point me in a good direction to start, I'm not afraid of research. Thanks in advance!

Edited by emcraft

Oasis OTS was built in 2008 per google so oasis class existed when you quit cruising. This class you could pre book shows even back then.

Starlink now does wifi. I thought it was decent on allure. Got harmony later this year.

Coco cay has changed and I'll be there is march. I hear look for the fast food that is free. More than one free eats place. Chicken sandwiches and funnel cakes are highly rated.

1 hour ago, emcraft said:

My husband I went on six RC cruises from 2007 to 2014, then we started having kids and all that cruising came to a screeching halt. I used to be a frequent contributor here but couldn't even log into my old account just now, so I look like a n00b again. We'll be cruising in July (without the kids!) for the first time in nine years, and I have many questions.

1. We'll be on the Harmony, which is a class that didn't exist last time I cruised. What are some basics I need to know about the ship specifically?
  2. What about RC in general? What do I need to know about dining, booking entertainment, etc? In the olden days, we used to eat lunch at the Windjammer and dinner in the dining hall at our predetermined dinnertime, same time and table and waiter every night. I gather that has changed a lot. Should we consider booking individual restaurants ahead of time? Stick with generic dining hall food? Obviously this is a preference thing to a certain extent, but I welcome your opinions.
  1. Our itinerary goes to Coco Cay. Last time I was there, it was a couple picnic shelters and a beach on one side, literally untouched pristine wilderness on the back side. Obviously it's very different now! What can we do at Coco Cay now without spending hundreds or thousands extra? 

1 hour ago, emcraft said:
  1. Other ports of call are St. Thomas and St. Kitts. We've been to St. Thomas, to Magen's Bay, but never to St. Kitts. Excursion recommendations for either location? General guidance about sticking with RC excursions vs branching out to local companies? I know in the past there were certain islands where it was generally safe to do your own thing vs others where it was highly recommended to stick with RC.
  2. My husband is agonizing about whether to get the alcohol package. Any prevailing opinions here about whether it's worth it? How many drinks a day we'd need to drink to break even? 
  3. How's the wifi? In the past, one of the things we loved most about cruising was being totally disconnected, turning off our phones when we boarded and throwing them in the safe and forgetting about them for a week. Now, with our kids left behind with my parents, we'll need to have the ability to communicate with them. I read or heard somewhere that the wifi isn't so great. Advice?

Obviously a lot of this is subjective, and I remember from the old days here that newbies who didn't bother to read FAQs and search old posts first weren't very, um, popular. But honestly I just feel so out of the loop that I don't know where to begin. Even this site itself looks totally different than it did last time I logged in. If anyone can point me in a good direction to start, I'm not afraid of research. Thanks in advance!

I personally don't do specialty dining. the Main Dining Room serves good food and if you choose a time, you will likely get the same table and waiters every night.

AT CoCo Cay you can grab a lounger on the beach and/or near the pool and swim & snorkel without paying anything extra. It's fun to walk around and try the different free food venues as well.

My wife and I have been to all your ports numerous times. I dive and my wife snorkels so I can't really help with excursions. Before covid we usually booked our own excursions. After covid we tend to book more (but not all) ship excursions, due to port times costs etc. Private excursions tended to be a lot cheaper than the ship before covid,  not so much anymore.

Unless you're an alcoholic, I would pass on the drink package. Takes 5+ drinks a day to break even. Though the DP includes soft drinks, specialty coffees, fresh squeezed OJ etc if all that stuff is worth extra to you go for it. Take along a couple bottles of wine (which is allowed) to supplement buying by the drink (beer costs less).  Of course you could also BYOB but that's against the unenforced rules.

The wifi usually sucks.  If you can hold out on sea days you can usually check in on any island stops if you have roving phone service. It's usually a lot cheaper even if you have to pay extra for it. St. Thomas is in the US virgin islands so no extra charges for using your phone in US territory.  We still don't get wifi on board.

RC now has free onboard texting on their app and don't give out printed daily Cruise Compass' unless you ask. So keeping your phone with you is encouraged if you need to stay in contact with your spouse and want to check schedules events. I still request a printed Compass and lock my phone in the safe and don't use it but that's just me. 😏

Edited by mac66

For excursions, do you like to venture out on your own, or booking excursions with only RCI? That will help us give you ideas on what to do.

The alcohol package can be a bargain if you drink enough. Drinks on the ship are in the $10 - $15 range. The price of the package varies by ship and sailing so you need to know how much the package will cost, then figure out how many drinks you need to break even. Depending on the cost of the package, you'll need to drink 5-8 drinks to break even.

The wifi on the ships now is decent, it won't be as fast as you probably get at home but it'll get the job done. The best part about it now is that it will work over the entire ship, not just in select areas.

Here is a link to a calculator to help you determine if the drink package is worth it for your situation. I am a casual drinker - One or two frozen drinks at the pool, a cocktail pre dinner, a glass or two of wine with dinner and maybe one or two after. It was worth it to me last time. 

Scroll down to about the middle of the page and select "Royal Caribbean"

https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-line-drink-package-calculator/

Edited by JennyB1977

44 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Read a blog today saying the UBP is down to $58 today fleet wide as it is National Margarita day.  Sale is today only. Also + 18%

Yes. When I clicked on the app for my June cruise, it brought up the National Margarita Day offer.

Do check the bev package price today.  If it is a better sale price today and you have been undecided, I’d suggest you go ahead and buy it on sale today before the price goes back up.   Then decide at leisure, as you can cancel any time (though it might take a few weeks for the credit to go back to your credit card).  Of course, use your common sense and don’t do it if it will mess with your budget or credit card balances etc.

Ship wifi is faster than in 2014.  If you want to be in contact with kids and caregivers, you will find it is cheaper to buy wifi pre-cruise; look at the prices and decide if it is worth it to you.  You could share a single device package: you log off and spouse can then log on with same password.  Prices are higher if you wait and buy it on the ship.  

If you were happy with WJ and MDR on smaller ships, you will probably be happy with free options on Harmony.  The specialty restaurants are nice, though, so take a look; only you can decide if you want to splurge.

You will be amazed at the change in CoCo cay.  You do not have to spend any money to have a nice day there.  You can find you tube videos about the island including all free days there.  And there is now a dock so no more tendering to CoCoCay…remember that?  

Edited by Starry Eyes

Try the dining room for dinner. Many people find the food agreeable .

You may want to try the 3 day dining package to compare the two.

Although formal attire is suggested on the 2 formal nights many people 

dress casually now. No need for formal wear if you choose not to.

Oasis class is a nice choice. As another poster mentioned , check out the 

youtube videos. Lots of information available.

Enjoy your cruise ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emcraft said:

... I used to be a frequent contributor here but couldn't even log into my old account just now, so I look like a n00b again...

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You can contact the admins to resurrect your old account.

@emcraft

Please see the instructions in How to: Change your Cruise Critic Email Address or User Name.

In your case, you will need to include both user names and Cruise Critic email addresses of record. The two would be merged together into one account under one of the names of your choice. That way you will have not lost your actual total post count. Be sure to mention which user name and email address of record you want to keep, since user name accounts cannot be deleted only merged.

After your user name accounts are merged, all your previous posts with the other user name will then have your chosen user name. However, any previous quotes of your posts now in other member's posts will appear with your user name at the time of the quote.  

I hope this will be helpful! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat  

Some debatable issues that have been tossed around here are decreased room attention, perhaps only one service per day and a different dinning room menu. 

Coco Cay is amazing, there is even a pool area and cabana's if you spend $$$$, a water park that costs extra and so many new areas to lounge for free at.  check it out on YouTube. 

For an adult beach day at St. Thomas look on the boards for Coki, Sapphire beach and Secret Harbor. 

In St. Kitts, we just did a day excursion tour, chosen at the port as it's cheaper and had a lovely day. 

Welcome Back!

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:19 PM, Starry Eyes said:

You will be amazed at the change in CoCo cay.  You do not have to spend any money to have a nice day there.  You can find you tube videos about the island including all free days there.  And there is now a dock so no more tendering to CoCoCay…remember that?  

Yes! We had to tender every time we visited Coco Cay. And it was mostly a pristine beachfront wilderness with a few areas with some lounge chairs and like two covered picnic shelters. Looking forward to seeing the transformation!

17 hours ago, emcraft said:

Yes! We had to tender every time we visited Coco Cay. And it was mostly a pristine beachfront wilderness with a few areas with some lounge chairs and like two covered picnic shelters. Looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Or even worse, when ships would have to skip CoCo Cay because conditions were not suitable for tendering; it was a rather frequent occurrence before the dock was placed.  While the less developed island had its charm, so does the developed one.  Have a wonderful time.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Welcome back to cruising! We took a multi-year hiatus when we adopted our son from foster care.  After working on much of the trauma he struggled with, we started back in 2016.  

No more mints on the pillow at bedtime, but now an e-muster instead of the “come as a group” muster.  🙂

You won’t recognize CocoCay, and unless you just love thrill water slides, I would recommend just doing the free day there instead of booking something for a fee.  That way you can make a decision the next time about booking something there.  We love the Beach Club, but also enjoy the island as is.

St Thomas and St Kitts are both fine for hiring a taxi yourself.  If you are going off St Thomas to St John’s, I would recommend the ship’s tour, unless you go very early and keep an eye on the ferry schedule.  

Food is subjective. If you are a foodie, I suggest booking a 3 night package for the specialty dining.  If food isn’t that important, then by all means schedule the dining room, and decide about specialty dining the next time.  We personally prefer smaller venues, so try to do mostly specialty dining, but this is a personal preference. 🙂

Drink package:  hotly contested here. We don’t book because we don’t drink more than 4-5 drinks a day, tops. We don’t drink juice, soft drinks or virgin adult beverages, so it costs less to pay as we go.  Diamond, Diamond+ and Pinnacle now respectively get 4, 5, and 6 free drinks daily, anytime, up to $14 (I believe that is the current amount, and someone will correct me if I’m wrong on that price).  So there is a goal for you guys! 😁

We are sailing Harmony next month and can’t wait. Have a great cruise! 

Rccl cruises have definitely changed, one is there used to be somewhat of a dress code ten years ago people seemed to dress for dinner , shorts are now common along with T-shirts for dinner . I was never impressed on buffet I don’t think that changed that much . The positive is so many larger ships like oasis class has so much more entertainment, lots of broadway plays, most ships have ice shows , many have aqua shows , etc .

Drinks now cost roughly 15 for liquor half that for beer , so use that aa a judge for liquor package. I still think cruises are a good value.

On 4/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, barbeyg said:

No more mints on the pillow at bedtime, but now an e-muster instead of the “come as a group” muster.  🙂

You won’t recognize CocoCay, and unless you just love thrill water slides, I would recommend just doing the free day there instead of booking something for a fee.  That way you can make a decision the next time about booking something there.  We love the Beach Club, but also enjoy the island as is.

St Thomas and St Kitts are both fine for hiring a taxi yourself.  If you are going off St Thomas to St John’s, I would recommend the ship’s tour, unless you go very early and keep an eye on the ferry schedule.  

Thank you for your message, especially the bit about there being an e-muster. (What even is that? Is it on the app?) Nice to know we won't have the chaos of going to muster.

Thanks for the tips about Coco Cay. I admit I'm tempted to splurge on the waterpark -- it would be a very rare opportunity to play at a waterpark withOUT the kids! -- but I think we'll probably plan to just walk around and explore free options that day.

Thanks also for the St. Thomas/St. John and St. Kitts feedback. What do you normally do at St. Kitts? We've never been, and the RC excursions don't really look that exciting.

18 hours ago, George C said:

Rccl cruises have definitely changed, one is there used to be somewhat of a dress code ten years ago people seemed to dress for dinner , shorts are now common along with T-shirts for dinner .

This is interesting, because even that long ago, we used to notice the number of people who ignored the dress code and went to the MDR in shorts and t-shirts. Back then I used to enjoy dressing up, but nowadays I basically live in sweatpants at home, so the idea of not having to dress up as much is more appealing.

• Like 1

We were on Symphony in January, another Oasis-class ship. Our last RCI cruise before that was 2005. Kids, am I right!?! lol

We loved the Oasis-class ship. So much to do and the ability to do nothing. We loved the solarium, the adults-only area. We loved it so much that we booked three more cruises on them (one more on Symphony and two on Oasis).

We did one night of specialty dining, otherwise, we loved the MDR. There were also plenty of free places to grab snacks and a bite. We especially loved Park Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Cafe Promenade was very good for a snack. Playmakers also had good wings and my wife is dying for another one of their campfire cookies. You do have to pay at Playmakers, but it's reasonable.

We absolutely LOVED Coco Cay. But to be fair, we splurged on a beachfront cabana at the beach club. However, the island is beautiful and there is plenty of free things to do. If you enjoy snorkeling at all then I highly recommend it. We say schools of beautiful fish. Later in the day, we came within 5 feet of a barracuda - scary but amazing. The snorkeling was so good that I bought an underwater digital camera for our next cruise.

In St. Thomas, we took the ferry over to Water Island and went to the beach there. We had a great time. I found out about it from royalcaribbeanblog.com (https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/01/12/i-went-stunning-caribbean-island-my-cruise-youve-probably-never-heard-of?fbclid=IwAR2fo5JrD2sBwDrQ-aDkswBx1M0w5trcVZ3MbMGd_Naucz2G5h5mY_GKKJw). The only warning is that the bathrooms are not nice. Other than that, we had a great day, and was easy to do on our own.

We don't drink enough to get the DBP. I think the break-even point is 5-6 alcoholic drinks. If you're a soda drinker that comes down a little.

We found the wifi was fine. Was always able to stream music, get emails and use our kindle or tablet. The only problem we had is that with T-Mobile we could not get MMS messages. We used whatsapp to send and receive texts to avoid the problem. The free messaging in the app was very spotty.

I hope you love your return to cruising. We certainly did.