Suspicious Death on Carnival Sunshine

Cyn874

1 hour ago, wesorbeth said:

The FBI would be the jurisdiction on the case.  Anytime someone dies somewhere other than a hospital police investigate, even if it's not suspicious.  If you are 90 years old and die at home the police will show up.  

That is not correct. My dad was in Hospice at home and the nurses made it perfectly clear not to call 911 when he passed. We were to call them after we had appropriate time with him. The FBI or police never arrived. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, wesorbeth said:

The FBI would be the jurisdiction on the case.  Anytime someone dies somewhere other than a hospital police investigate, even if it's not suspicious.  If you are 90 years old and die at home the police will show up.  

Perhaps in your state.

15 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That is not correct. My dad was in Hospice at home and the nurses made it perfectly clear not to call 911 when he passed. We were to call them after we had appropriate time with him. The FBI or police never arrived. 

That's because hospice was involved.  Pretty much same as when folks die in a nursing home.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

That's because hospice was involved.  Pretty much same as when folks die in a nursing home.

People die on cruise ships all the time and the FBI doesn't get involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wesorbeth said:

That must be an Ohio thing. My mom died in her house, no police showed up. My wifes grandfather died in his house, no police showed up. My next door neighbor died in his house, no police showed up. This has happened in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trueblueky said:

What are the odds there'd be two deaths in one year? 

Pretty slim.

Now, if there are other deaths on that ship between now and May, it might be worth worrying.  But ONLY if there are other deaths.

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you. I was going to ask what if the newly deceased was being cared for by Hospice. I know my Mother-in-Law was in hospice before she passed. As far as I know the police were never involved. (So, NY state can be added to the list in one of the other posts.)

UPDATE: "While we continue to cooperate with authorities, all indications pertaining to the death of a guest on board Carnival Sunshine suggest that it was a natural death due to a medical condition. We will defer to the FBI on any specific details which may possibly be released at a later date as we fully respect the investigative process, but our initial emergency medical response was appropriate and it appears that this was indeed a medical situation that sadly resulted in the death of a guest.”

Edited by south-carolinagirl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, south-carolinagirl said:

UPDATE: "While we continue to cooperate with authorities, all indications pertaining to the death of a guest on board Carnival Sunshine suggest that it was a natural death due to a medical condition. We will defer to the FBI on any specific details which may possibly be released at a later date as we fully respect the investigative process, but our initial emergency medical response was appropriate and it appears that this was indeed a medical situation that sadly resulted in the death of a guest.”

Thank you for posting this.  Condolences to the family.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Your Dad was in Hospice, that is different.  If your Dad died in his sleep at home and was not under Hospice care the police would come.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

That must be an Ohio thing. My mom died in her house, no police showed up. My wifes grandfather died in his house, no police showed up. My next door neighbor died in his house, no police showed up. This has happened in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. 

Possibly.

17 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

What are the odds there'd be two deaths in one year? 

Um.  There were like two deaths on another cruise ship that was in a port the same day as us.  And a third death off ship.  I believe there was on on our cruise. 

Deaths are pretty common on the ship. Most of the time we aren't even aware unless you had a connection to the person.  Or, like in this case, it is publicized.  

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, wesorbeth said:

Your Dad was in Hospice, that is different.  If your Dad died in his sleep at home and was not under Hospice care the police would come.  

In Canada, that is how it is.  Unless the person is under medical care at home, police show up. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Um.  There were like two deaths on another cruise ship that was in a port the same day as us.  And a third death off ship.  I believe there was on on our cruise. 

Deaths are pretty common on the ship. Most of the time we aren't even aware unless you had a connection to the person.  Or, like in this case, it is publicized.  

There is a morgue built into the ship. 

12 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

There is a morgue built into the ship. 

Yup.

They have the whole process down.   From what I have heard they are quite good at assisting with the return of the body.  They will even liaise with the airline to have the return ticket changed to cargo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on a Journeys cruise a couple of months ago that had thousands of Platinum and Diamond passengers, including many, many elderly folks.

We had one death onboard and an ambulance met the ship at a port of call at least twice.

If you are going to have that many old people gathered in one place, that's going to happen.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

If you are going to have that many old people gathered in one place, that's going to happen.

This.

At some point in the past, I ran the numbers of the likelihood of a person dying during a 7 day cruise.  Since the age bracket tends to tilt later than the average population, it does increase chances (though by being able to cruise it does eliminate the truly "near-term" subjects that are in hospice, etc).  Let's have another look:

If every cruiser is ~50 yrs old, and the death probability (dying within a year) for people that age is 0.002981 (Female) or 0.004890 (Male), and assuming we have an even number of M&F on board, then over the course of a 7-day cruise with 4000 pax there is a ~30% probability of a death.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

That doesn't include crew.

One could play all kinds of statistical games with the population spread on board, vs the risk-rate associated with the activities available (are people safer on a cruise or in more danger due to what they choose to do?), vs the change in diet and activity level of the average person (are people drinking and eating more, stressing their systems, yet sitting around more?), and refine this to death - but as we all know, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Someone not dying every third or fourth cruise, on the average, would be the real story!

I had a client whose husband disappeared on an Alaskan cruise (not Carnival) and was presumed murdered.  They suspect it was some sort of robbery gone wrong as he was wealthy.