Electric Ships

NJLochness

10 minutes ago, NJLochness said:

Celebrity seems to be worried about the climate so why are they not using electric ships?

That Technology doesn't exist at this point in time.  They can't even get a pickup truck to tow a decent load 100 miles.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NJLochness said:

Celebrity seems to be worried about the climate so why are they not using electric ships?

As several have posted the technology does not exist yet. The ship would probably only be able to go 50 miles. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJLochness said:

A bit of satire...On the E-Class they removed nearly all balconies to give us the fuel saving IVs which coincidently aren't found on ANY of their suites.  Additionally, if you book one of their more expensive SV aft balconies you get the privilege of waking up to a layer of soot covering everything if the wind is blowing correctly

1 hour ago, NJLochness said:

I think they're developing a brand new revolutionary method of ship propulsion. It has big sheet of some type of fabric material that is unfurled from huge masts anchored to the decks, this fabric material captures wind and uses it to push the ship along. I know, it sounds like science fiction, but I got faith that it could work. .  

• Haha 11

Just now, SRQbeachgirl said:

That would take a really long extension cord.

I think Tesla is working on putting solar chargers in the ocean along the route, It'll take 1,500 hours to charge the ship enough to make it to the next charging dock, but hey, it's for the environment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well I believe most passengers ships today have Diesel electric propulsion, so they are electric. If you are referring to fully electric from storage batteries, that technology simply doesn’t exist today.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Insert bad cruise director extension cord joke…

I met a fellow on Coco Cay who actually thought a power cord was run from Nassau to power the place.  He didn't believe me or the crew who told him diesel generators were on the island for that purpose.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I met a fellow on Coco Cay who actually thought a power cord was run from Nassau to power the place.  He didn't believe me or the crew who told him diesel generators were on the island for that purpose.  

Could you imagine the chaos were someone to trip over that cord? Mayhem! 

There is an episode of Mighty Ships on the Roald Amundsen in Antarctica.  The ship can operate (including propulsion) for about and hour.   There was a bay they could enter providing they were running on battery. 

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/hurtigruten/pressreleases/historic-images-first-ever-cruise-ship-to-sail-on-battery-power-2917570

All electricity used on the ship originates from the fossil fuel burning engines on the ship.  Pretty much the same way the electricity in your house and that used to re-charge EV vehicles originates from some form of carbon based fuel, unless you are lucky enough to live in a state / location where the environmentalist has not caused the shutdown of nuclear power plants. 

• Like 2

We're just not there with full electric yet as the cost/mass/weight equation doesn't make sense...The next evolution will most likely be all new ships:

LNG, much much much cleaner cradle to grave as cruise ship can last for fifty years even if the original owner sell it

Shore power, which is a bit of a wildcard because it obviously won't work in a tender port, very few ports have it at the moment, if a port does have shore power it may not be installed on all berths and for most ports, they'd charge the ship for the power so if the rate is too high, ships won't take advantage of it

Bonus, solar panels on ships are a bit tricky for cruise ships as the cruise lines feel covering the say the whole top deck with panels isn't attractive to most.  Additionally in order to receive descent power output, the panels have to face the sun at a certain angle so ideally you'd want the panels on a swiveling/rotating mount which many wouldn't find attractive 

They could use oars and charge the passengers who want the" row experience".  They could add to the bottom line while creating a fitness activity.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1