Pickleball At Sea

RICCruisers

6 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Just saw this announcement. 

Does anyone know where the courts will be?

Available On

APEXBEYONDECLIPSEEQUINOXSOLSTICECONSTELLATIONINFINITYMILLENNIUMSUMMIT

On our September Summit cruise, pickleball was being played on the basketball court. I don't know if it was an organized activity thru the sports activity staff or not. 

Edited by davekathy

Being Celebrity it will be in the grand foyer, the area outside of the theater, the Club, or Quasar.   It probably won’t be the real pickle ball game but some variation for no advantage to anyone 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They call it "open air,"  and from the look of the pic they've just painted a court  on the sport court with a portable net.  Hope it's less windy than Oceania Riviera.  We were just on her and most of the time the wind made the game unplayable.  

I'm interested to learn about this as well. They had pickle ball when we were on Oasis of the Seas but the few times I passed by (it was only for maybe a couple hours each morning that it was Pickleball time) it was too busy and didn't look fun. Actually pretty much sums up that cruise.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NaplesKnitter said:

On the Beyond, it was played on Rooftop Garden, by the outdoor movie screen.  They placed orange tape to mark court  It was very popular and was played from 10 am - 4. Most days.

DBA99486-FA6D-47C3-8A06-3F5BDC15FC8E.jpeg

On our cruise on Beyond, it was played from 12:30 to 4 pm on 3 days.  On the other days, movies and Garden Games  were played.  

For those who are curious what Pickleball is, the simplest way to describe it is:

1) It's very simular to tennis

2) Uses a significantly smaller court (four Pickleball courts can fit in one Tennis court)

3) Lower the net

4) Slow the game down by using a ball like a wiffle ball.

Here's a short 90 second video on it:

Currently on the Beyond.   They are playing Pickle Ball.  There is a sign  up sheet to have your turn.  The list was rather long, and many were waiting for their turn.   

I don’t know anything about the game  so I can’t comment on if the rules or equipment are the same.  

The ball was an orange hallow plastic ball.  I seen the wind affect it go the short time we watched.  I don’t know if it is a standard size court.   There was a cloth type material laid down for the lines.   The wind or the players moved some of them as it wasn’t square.  The net is a portable type. As posted else where it is in the roof top garden on a port day. 

if I were a pickle ball player I don’t  think I would get too excited about doing it.  I don’t think the waiting time or maybe opponents would be worth the effort.   I wouldn’t want to wait a long time to play against someone that never played before.  The short time we watched I doubt the team returning the serve ever had the ball make it over the net.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅