How fast can we get from docks to airport?

3red7s

Hello CC folks,  We are setting sail to Alaska on 9/8-9/15 on the Solstice. 

Alaska Airlines offers a NS to Cleveland Oh, departing at 10:00 am.  

Question?  We would need to be at the airport by 8-8:30am.  We self carry and are TSA approved & this appears to be the slow season. (no children/spring breakers)

Our ship is small & hopefully unloads quickly.

Has anyone taken an early flight such as this? Any issues? Do you think it is too close or risky?

Thanks to all 

There are plenty of times when we have been at the airport hours early. But then at least twice we have been delayed getting off the ship.

The bigger risk I see is missing your flight and then not being able to get on another in the immediate future. Who knows what the state of the airline industry will be in September. 

• Like 1

While one never knows what could happen, I would think you will be fine.   

I use to work in Seattle commuting home  to San Francisco on Friday and Monday.

While 10 AM might be a tight connection I would think you would not have too much struggle to make a 10AM flight.    SeaTac airport is about 20 minutes away by car.     If you have TSA Pre you should have not problems unless the ship happens to be late.     Walkoffs usually begin at 7:15.   Out of an abundance of caution I might arrange a car service so you aren't waiting for a cab or Uber.

27 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

Question?  We would need to be at the airport by 8-8:30am.  We self carry and are TSA approved & this appears to be the slow season. (no children/spring breakers)

Has anyone taken an early flight such as this? Any issues? Do you think it is too close or risky?

Thanks to all 

Too many things unknown.

If you dock downtown it is a 20 uphill walk to the light rail.  If at the cruise port north of downtown about a 45min to an hour via Uber or Lyft.  Either way look at an hour to the airport from the port since it will be in the morning commute. 

Then what Alaska gate?  Some are in the main terminal 5 minutes past security.  Others a train to shuttle to a remote gate thus add 10+ minutes.

You might get there on time and might not.

Used to do this weekly before light rail from UW Campus to SeaTac and if all went good took 40minutes.  If an accident double that. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

Would not do it unless there are no other flights that day.  Why ruin a good vacation on the last day worrying about missing a flight?  Been there done that and not worth it. Now we only take early afternoon flights home.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While one never knows what could happen, I would think you will be fine.   

I use to work in Seattle commuting home  to San Francisco on Friday and Monday.

While 10 AM might be a tight connection I would think you would not have too much struggle to make a 10AM flight.    SeaTac airport is about 20 minutes away by car.     If you have TSA Pre you should have not problems unless the ship happens to be late.     Walkoffs usually begin at 7:15.   Out of an abundance of caution I might arrange a car service so you aren't waiting for a cab or Uber.

Unless things have changed, Celebrity usually docks at Pier 91 which is about 19 miles from SeaTac, quite a bit of it is through the downtown area. The two times we made the trip it took about 35 minutes. We left the ship later though, around 8am if I remember right. Also both times the airport was a zoo and it took awhile to clear customs and get to the gate. Our flights were after 11am, so no problem.

31 minutes ago, Hazelwoodp said:

Our return flight leaves at 5:30 pm from Seattle.  The ship arrives in the port at 6:00 a.m.  is it possible to be on the last group to leave the ship?  Hanging out in the airport all day is the pits.  

You will need to be off the ship by 9:00 or 9:30 at the latest.  Just self disembark. Everyone needs to be off before the next group can start boarding.  Maybe take Lyft to the Space Needle and museum complex then light rail to SeaTac 

• Like 1

Seattle is the only port right now which is offering luggage valet. You can put your luggage out the night before and they will take it, check it for you, and you don’t see it again until you are at your home airport.   this is a service provided by the city of Seattle for passengers just like yourself to have a long wait and who might be tempted to visit the sites of Seattle if they don’t have to drag their luggage around with them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hazelwoodp said:

We bought our airline tickets through Celebrity.  If we self disembark, are we responsible for our luggage?  

Yes, you carry all your luggage with you when you get off the ship.

If you self-disembark you are among the first passengers off and you carry all your luggage with you.  But do consider Luggage Valet when you have such a long time before your flight out of SEATAC.  Take the opportunity to see some of Seattle, perhaps have a seafood meal, and make your way leisurely to the airport.

• Like 1

Last summer both Solstice and one of the gigantic Royal ships were on the same embarkation/disembarkation schedules using Smith Cove (not Bell Street at pier 66).  That pier is the one farthest from SeaTac.  Parking lots are a zoo with folks having problems locating Lyft or Uber.  The flight our OP is considering may be very tight.

4 hours ago, 3red7s said:

Thanks to all 

If you purchased your flight through Celebrity, they know which is the earliest you can get to.  This happened to us when we finished the cruise in Vancouver and we had a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle. We had booked the transfer through the cruise line (Princess).  We were the first ones off. Canadian Customs were standing at the end of the ramp and we had to show our passports as we were going to the American only terminal.  The bus got us to the terminal before the truck with our luggage, by minutes.  Went through security, then used our Global Entry at Customs.  (there were only 3 people in line but only one clerk taking care of someone else), arrived at the gate 1/2 hour before boarding.  Took a deep breath!

Are there no debarkation day excursions? I know when I was on HAL in and out of Seattle, they had a couple of excursions we could purchase that took our luggage to the airport while we did sightseeing for a good portion of the day and then ended at the airport where we got our luggage (if we didn't have checked which I almost never do).

Thank you for the suggestion of a planned excursion.  We were in Seattle a few years ago and toured  Chihuly but would certainly consider doing it again in order to avoid hours and hours in the airport.  Celebrity does offer an excursion.  Such good information on these boards!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Unless things have changed, Celebrity usually docks at Pier 91 which is about 19 miles from SeaTac, quite a bit of it is through the downtown area. The two times we made the trip it took about 35 minutes. We left the ship later though, around 8am if I remember right. Also both times the airport was a zoo and it took awhile to clear customs and get to the gate. Our flights were after 11am, so no problem.

Your correct.     My apartment was down by Pikes Market and often would have a cruise ship parked in my living room.   Depending on day of the week it would be a reverse commute.

3 hours ago, Hazelwoodp said:

Thank you for the suggestion of a planned excursion.  We were in Seattle a few years ago and toured  Chihuly but would certainly consider doing it again in order to avoid hours and hours in the airport.  Celebrity does offer an excursion.  Such good information on these boards!

Definitely do luggage valet, regardless.  If you actually go forward with the excursion, then it's no big deal.  However, if it happens that you do not go through with an excursion, you likely would not be able to check any luggage until 4 hours prior to your flight.

If you think hanging around all day at the airport is the pits, then you'll really hate hanging around outside security at Sea-Tac.  There's nothing but restrooms.  It's actually a pretty nice place to hang out once inside security.  The central area has an enormous, windowed wall looking out at the tarmac.  Lots of light and often some music.

15 hours ago, Hazelwoodp said:

Our return flight leaves at 5:30 pm from Seattle.  The ship arrives in the port at 6:00 a.m.  is it possible to be on the last group to leave the ship?  Hanging out in the airport all day is the pits.  

I would use the free Port Valet service. Then make your way to the space needle. Chihuly Garden and Glass is real nice. Seattle waterfront is nice also. Then take light rail to SeaTac from downtown Seattle.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

18 hours ago, Hazelwoodp said:

There will probably be a Post Cruise excursion with an Airport Drop off.

Thats better than spending most of a day at SeaTac!

We have done those kind of Post Cruise Excursions at Miami or Ft. L. when we have late flights.

I have a lot on Everglade air boat miles!

10 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Definitely do luggage valet, regardless.  If you actually go forward with the excursion, then it's no big deal.  However, if it happens that you do not go through with an excursion, you likely would not be able to check any luggage until 4 hours prior to your flight.

If you think hanging around all day at the airport is the pits, then you'll really hate hanging around outside security at Sea-Tac.  There's nothing but restrooms.  It's actually a pretty nice place to hang out once inside security.  The central area has an enormous, windowed wall looking out at the tarmac.  Lots of light and often some music.

Is security awful at Sea-Tac?

On 3/15/2023 at 4:35 PM, 3red7s said:

Thanks to all 

Howdy, my family consisting of myself, my wife, my sister in law, my daughter, my granddaughter and my son in law will be joining you on this cruise.  We have yet to book airfare.   Looking forward to seeing you onboard.  Personally we never book a flight before noon and by the way the last time we sailed on the Soltice was in May 2010 out of Fort Lauderdale.  There was some type of computer problem with immigration and the first passengers did not disembark until 12: 30pm.

51 minutes ago, Hazelwoodp said:

Not sure what you would call awful.  Pretty much the same as every large airport in the US.  Without TSA or first class the lines are usually reasonable.   They move quickly unless you are behind the person with keys in their pocket and a metal implant.  Lines get longer at meal and break times and mornings when there are lots of flights.  Same late afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Hazelwoodp said:

It's fine. There's just nothing to do in the airport until you're through it. If you had bags to check, you would be stuck on the outside looking in.