Beverage Shortages and Other Cuts

9 minutes ago, PalmSprings said:

Most of what you’ve posted in this thread is false.  I am on a HAL ship at this very moment and the supposed shortages you blab on endlessly about simply do not exist!  Everything that I have ordered in every bar and dining venue onboard has been available.

Maybe go over to the westerdam thread and say that.  Clearly they are imagining all the shortages.

11 minutes ago, PalmSprings said:

Most of what you’ve posted in this thread is false.  I am on a HAL ship at this very moment and the supposed shortages you blab on endlessly about simply do not exist!  Everything that I have ordered in every bar and dining venue onboard has been available.

That’s ok - I was on the K with him and I saw no key shortages either (ant least nothing I wanted)  and the ship was packed. Same for the next 2 segments.  (And I do mean packed)

It doesn’t mean there couldn’t be some of course.  Look at the issues the Westerdam pax are reporting.   Heck pre-covid, we ran out of bananas and couldn’t get any until we got to a certain port.  Sometimes even the best planner can’t determine demand or items are not delivered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PalmSprings said:

May I suggest you look at the thread here on the current Japan cruise on the Westerdam by Hlitner (aka Hank).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe go over to the westerdam thread and say that.  Clearly they are imagining all the shortages

Or perhaps it’s that I’m on a ship that originated - and therefore provisioned - in North America and thus had easy access to american products.  On a sailing in Asia, I don’t think it’s at all inconceivable that some of those items would be harder, or indeed impossible, to come by.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

The cruise lines are not buying from the same suppliers in every foreign port and can't guarantee that those suppliers they do buy from will have everything they need when they need it and at a reasonable price. It's not like they can just send a few crew members out to the local Wally World in(name the port)to pick up anything they are out of to satisfy what may be only a few pax.

For the most part the cruise lines do NOT want to purchase elsewhere, headquarters does a lot of their ordering. I think while sailing out of North America they do get their supplies with no problems but for ships sailing in Asia, South America or Europe supplies still have to come from North America. I have sailed Japan twice on the Diamond Princess, up till Covid that ship sailed and stayed in Asia. My two sailings were both pre covid in October 2017 and September 2019 both time there were lots of supplies that were low and missing. We were told both time that the shipments came from the US for many provisions. Even Steaks for their Sterling Steak House. In talking with an Officer they basically admitted they were the step children of the fleet despite making requests well in advance of needing things. This officer basically said Santa Clarita sent it when they felt like it. 

I am only comparing Princess because they are truly one in the same company right now with HAL and they have been the same for many years. I am sure the same thing is still happening with Diamond Princess like it is with Westerdam. 

I honestly do not think this is a supply chain issue but rather a cost cutting issue and just let the ship handle the complaints.

When that ship left the US I am sure it was well stocked, they know what is needed for each sailing. They probably have scheduled deliveries of supplies but if they can cut it a bit short they will do so. 

You seldom hear of this happening on World Cruise or Grand World Voyages because these cruises charge a much larger dollar amount with many being repeat cruisers, they certainly will not upset them.

I am one that believes that HAL should be compensating for not being able to offer you what you paid for. In November 2021 I went on an NCL cruise and there was a supply chain issue at that time. They were out of my favorite wine and champagne but instead of sorry we do not have they offered me much higher more expensive wines. I have heard that other cruise lines have done that as well but it does not appear that HAL is doing that.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PalmSprings said:

Or perhaps it’s that I’m on a ship that originated - and therefore provisioned - in North America and thus had easy access to american products.  On a sailing in Asia, I don’t think it’s at all inconceivable that some of those items would be harder, or indeed impossible, to come by.

What? So you can only expect north American ships to be stocked.  Then hal has no business sailing where it can't provision a ship. They seem to be doing ok on the world cruise. They are having shortages on North American ships too. I have that on good authority and I'm not talking about months ago which is immaterial. I just do not understand the defensiveness. 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

10 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

They were out of my favorite wine and champagne but instead of sorry we do not have they offered me much higher more expensive wines. I have heard that other cruise lines have done that as well but it does not appear that HAL is

That has always been my experience with HAL pre and post covid - offered a more expensive wine and given a taste to make sure I approved.  Now post covid, I’ve only had them run out of a particular wine in the wine package and it was just like the past.  Offered a new one, pricier to replace it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

You seldom hear of this happening on World Cruise or Grand World Voyages because these cruises charge a much larger dollar amount with many being repeat cruisers, they certainly will not upset them.

part of that cost is the extra cost for provisioning in remote ports.  We just sailed South America and provisioned not only food but water in Manaus.  I am sure that is not cheap as 1. Nothing in Brazil is cheap and 2. They don’t have the commanding big contracts they do at their home ports 

Procurement is very tricky. Imagine a Large Box Store ships 8 containers Tacoma to Anchorage, Alaska on two ships a week. One ship goes out of service for two weeks and everything is competing to go onboard the once weekly ship. Everyone wanting to ship to Alaska, get in line... then the Military pops up with cargo that bumps half your containers. Your stores won't get Easter candy or lilies so you send 4 containers on trucks down the Alaskan Highway at 3 times the cost. Often its delay delay delay and this is all in North America. So where are HAL's containers.... IMO, in line with everyone else....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

Because I can.  There is always one person who comes on these boards and tells a poster to move on, as you seem to be doing.  However, I think the one who is continually ranting about Holland America and how they like Celebrity better could actually be the one to move on.

I just find it hard to understand why you keep reading when they seem to bother you so much. 

I have actually gotten a lot of information on threads started by the OP and the discussions they bring about.

Lets me know how to set my expectations for my upcoming cruise. I have only cruised once with HA and it was shortly after the relaunch after covid, so any short comings I attributed to covid and it's aftermath. It seems that I should not expect much difference from my first HA experience. 

If it is better, great, if not, at least my expectations will be in line with that.

4 minutes ago, electro said:

I just find it hard to understand why you keep reading when they seem to bother you so much. 

I have actually gotten a lot of information on threads started by the OP and the discussions they bring about.

Lets me know how to set my expectations for my upcoming cruise. I have only cruised once with HA and it was shortly after the relaunch after covid, so any short comings I attributed to covid and it's aftermath. It seems that I should not expect much difference from my first HA experience. 

If it is better, great, if not, at least my expectations will be in line with that.

That, I find interesting.  If I read only mcrcruiser’s words I would never sail HAL.   

PS. There are quite a few people on this board that give fair and balanced, and not always pleasant, reviews.  At least when you read their reviews you understand why they continue to sail with HAL

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That, I find interesting.  If I read only mcrcruiser’s words I would never sail HAL.   

PS. There are quite a few people on this board that give fair and balanced, and not always pleasant, reviews.  At least when you read their reviews you understand why they continue to sail with HAL

But why such anger and why like such anger?  It really says a lot.  

26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

But that's not all I read, and a lot of the info I take comes from people who respond giving their experience. So it is the discussions that these topics start rather than one person's opinion.

I also read many other post by different people on many different aspects of HAL to try to get a wide view. 

Edited by electro
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

But why such anger and why like such anger?  It really says a lot.  

Not anger.  I do and have participated in a lot of fora on various topics.  Trolling is unwelcome and does nothing.  It is simply disruption for the sake of disruption. I don’t think that is the persons intent but he seems to have a point, outside of the cruising topic, to ultimately drive home. 

10 minutes ago, electro said:

But that's not all I read, and a lot of the info I take comes from people who respond giving their experience. So it is the discussions that these topics start rather than one person's opinion.

I also read many other post by different people on many different aspects of HAL to try to get a wide view. 

Glad to hear it.  There are many people here, who I don’t always agree with, but take their words very seriously.  For example @Florida_gal and I have been at odds many times but I take her comments at face value - as fair and honest assessments with no motive except to inform. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Not anger.  I do and have participated in a lot of fora on various topics.  Trolling is unwelcome and does nothing.  It is simply disruption for the sake of disruption. I don’t think that is the persons intent but he seems to have a point, outside of the cruising topic, to ultimately drive home. 

I wasn't speaking of you but I have a lot of people on ignore.  I just wonder why that isn't a better solution. 

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Glad to hear it.  There are many people here, who I don’t always agree with, but take their words very seriously.  For example @Florida_gal and I have been at odds many times but I take her comments at face value - as fair and honest assessments with no motive except to inform. 

Same.

3 hours ago, riverrat said:

Procurement is very tricky. Imagine a Large Box Store ships 8 containers Tacoma to Anchorage, Alaska on two ships a week. One ship goes out of service for two weeks and everything is competing to go onboard the once weekly ship. Everyone wanting to ship to Alaska, get in line... then the Military pops up with cargo that bumps half your containers. Your stores won't get Easter candy or lilies so you send 4 containers on trucks down the Alaskan Highway at 3 times the cost. Often its delay delay delay and this is all in North America. So where are HAL's containers.... IMO, in line with everyone else....

Finally someone who gets logistical issues. And contrary to everyone here who thinks all should be fine by now post covid there are still MAJOR issues. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, electro said:

The OP isn't the poster Albingirl is talking about, and you are taking her to task for. They are two different people. 
So, who are you referring to as having given helpful posts? The OP? I can accept that point of view. The one Albingirl is talking about? I can't see that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The OP isn't the poster Albingirl is talking about, and you are taking her to task for. They are two different people. 
So, who are you referring to as having given helpful posts? The OP? I can accept that point of view. The one Albingirl is talking about? I can't see that. 

Sorry, I was mistaken when I referred to OP as the one Albringirl was addressing. On this particular thread the OP was not the one Albingirl was referring to but she has been on many of that person thread saying the same thing. Just because Albingirl doesn't want to hear or discuss negative thinks about HAL, doesn't mean that others don't, as evident by that fact that people do respond with their own experience, good, bad or somewhere in between.

As for who I am referring to, as said it the post you quoted,, I get helpful info from the discussions on the threads so it comes from reading varying opinions and experiences from many people. 

Edited by electro
spelling
  • Like 1

To address a few of the on-topic responses, I understand about the logistics of supplying ships in various geographies. But at the same time, I have sailed four times since Covid on two other cruise lines and in two locations outside of the US and I have not experienced the level of shortages and “outages” as on this cruise.

I am primarily a wine drinker, and on Celebrity I would say yes, they will offer you a comparable wine (often pricier) if they are out of your chosen one. On 28 days on Westerdam, I’ve not had this happen once. They’ll either just tell out they are out and wait for you to choose something else, or they will attempt to substitute something without telling you. This is buying by the glass, not buying a bottle.

And there have indeed been shortages of tea, of various sodas, and of specific types of liquors and liqueurs, mostly those that would be covered on the HIA. One can understand how the feeling arises that they are purposely trying to drive consumption (through unavailability of lower cost options) of more expensive beverages. 

Even if it is a case of poor planning for the probable increased consumption of adult beverages due to the number of pax purchasing HIA or being given it, it goes back to poor estimation by HAL. Celebrity has s similar packages… many fewer shortages. If they can manage it, why not HAL?  X doesn’t have a monopoly on international shipping/logistics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To address a few of the on-topic responses, I understand about the logistics of supplying ships in various geographies. But at the same time, I have sailed four times since Covid on two other cruise lines and in two locations outside of the US and I have not experienced the level of shortages and “outages” as on this cruise.

I am primarily a wine drinker, and on Celebrity I would say yes, they will offer you a comparable wine (often pricier) if they are out of your chosen one. On 28 days on Westerdam, I’ve not had this happen once. They’ll either just tell out they are out and wait for you to choose something else, or they will attempt to substitute something without telling you. This is buying by the glass, not buying a bottle.

And there have indeed been shortages of tea, of various sodas, and of specific types of liquors and liqueurs, mostly those that would be covered on the HIA. One can understand how the feeling arises that they are purposely trying to drive consumption (through unavailability of lower cost options) of more expensive beverages. 

Even if it is a case of poor planning for the probable increased consumption of adult beverages due to the number of pax purchasing HIA or being given it, it goes back to poor estimation by HAL. Celebrity has s similar packages… many fewer shortages. If they can manage it, why not HAL?  X doesn’t have a monopoly on international shipping/logistics.

Where did you sail on X?  

6 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

Oh really then you should read the posts on the Westerdam that Hank is sailing  .

imo all some people want here are glorious words describing a cruise line .

About supply issues did it ever occur that because of the  tightness of cash due to massive debt with CCL  that vendors are waiting for money longer than normal .If that is the case it might be a COD (cash on delivery) option with some venfors . I do not say this is the case for certain  but ,some thing to consider  that could happen .

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Where did you sail on X?  

From our 2 weeks on Celebrity Soltice we never had wine poured from a  decanter only from the bottle .  When we compared dinners  on X vs HAL we had lamb chops ,steak ,lobster (no extra cost on Gala night ) ,  large assortment of   breads & dips for the breads of bread sticks . All the vegies you wanted .A large assortment of deserts 

Yes some of the areas in  Celebrity Ocean  View Cafe  were not open but ,still we had plenty of good choices & roast beef was one of them 

Holland  America pre pandemic was a different cruise line that it vis today  .On the other hand Celebrity although not there totally ,is much closer to pre pandemic times than Holland America  .Any one to say this is not so is not telling the truth 

Edited by mcrcruiser