Boarding closed loop tomorrow with ID+birth certificate, but lost ID today!

33 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Found it. He ended up using a picture of an old expired drivers license he had.

Yes.  This was my friend.  In all honesty,  everyone in our party (except my friends wife and his kids) were somewhat disappointed this wasn’t a bigger deal.   Mainly because we emphasized to him before we left that a passport or some other ID would not be a bad thing but he didn’t want to pay more money.  He totally dodged a bullet.  I was totally in shock how fast he got through security and was on the ship.  Minimal delay.  I’d been delayed boarding the ship because they couldn’t get their camera to work to take a picture than my friend got delayed by having no ID.

2 hours ago, garywatson said:

A young couple, husband wife and two kids, is stressing out about their cruise tomorrow out of Canaveral because the husband lost his wallet earlier today and thus no longer has his drivers license. Wife has her DL and both have their birth certificates, and they have the photo of his DL that they uploaded as part of the booking process.  What's his odds of being allowed to board, and are there any magic words that might make it more likely?

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, so I always travel with at least two (and usually four) acceptable means of identification, and I don't keep them all in one place.

I’d say very good that he will board.  Near 100 percent based on my friends experience in the port of Miami last April using a pic of an expired DL.

• Like 1

A few years ago boarding the Allure, as we reached the top of the escalator in the new Miami terminal, someone in the group I was cruising with said “I had to bring my expired passport because I couldn’t find the new one, but don’t worry, the info I entered in to the online check in was for the new one.  So no worries.”

Well I was doubtful and sure enough, this did not pass the standard for boarding.  Our entire group had to go off to a side desk and waiting area while this person figured out what to do.  The rest of us were boarding either way.  But we were furious at her.  

Eventually, they decided to let her board with a photograph of her birth certificate that her sister sent to her phone.  She also had a valid drivers license to go with it. The sister had a key to the woman’s condo and found the birth certificate and snapped a picture and sent it to her phone.   This process took about 90 minutes to sort out.   But we eventually boarded.  

She also had to spend quite a bit of time discussing this with immigration upon returning to the US.  But they let her back in the country.  

Bottom line, a picture of the ID might work.  I realize it’s the opposite combination of what my friend faced. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

It doesn't have to be a Driver's License.  He doesn't have any other form of Government ID?  It can be a Veterans Administration ID, Military ID, State School ID, a bunch of things that are U.S. or State "Government", agency issued, w/picture.  Of course, it would have to be something that wasn't in his wallet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Exactly, we need closure on this latest episode of "Will they or won't they..." 🙂

Yes, those of us wishing the family well would like to know the outcome.  Additionally, future unfortunate souls in a similar position will likely read this thread.  They will really want the conclusion.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 6:21 PM, garywatson said:

A young couple, husband wife and two kids, is stressing out about their cruise tomorrow out of Canaveral because the husband lost his wallet earlier today and thus no longer has his drivers license. Wife has her DL and both have their birth certificates, and they have the photo of his DL that they uploaded as part of the booking process.  What's his odds of being allowed to board, and are there any magic words that might make it more likely?

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, so I always travel with at least two (and usually four) acceptable means of identification, and I don't keep them all in one place.

I need closure.  Were they able to board?  Do you know these people?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ret MP said:

It doesn't have to be a Driver's License.  He doesn't have any other form of Government ID?  It can be a Veterans Administration ID, Military ID, State School ID, a bunch of things that are U.S. or State "Government", agency issued, w/picture.  Of course, it would have to be something that wasn't in his wallet.  

I was going to say the same thing.  Most of us would show a birth certificate + driver's license ... but the rule is birth certificate + photo ID.  I have a work ID with my picture on it.  I know some people have credit cards with their picture printed on it.  

In my state, you don't walk out from the DMV with a driver's license in hand ... you walk out with a paper saying you have a license, and the official card will come in the mail in 10 days.  Since the paper doesn't have a photograph, I don't think the ship's terminal staff would accept it.  

23 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Does anybody have an update as to if he made it on the ship or not?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, I'd like to know!  

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was going to say the same thing.  Most of us would show a birth certificate + driver's license ... but the rule is birth certificate + photo ID.  I have a work ID with my picture on it.  I know some people have credit cards with their picture printed on it.  

In my state, you don't walk out from the DMV with a driver's license in hand ... you walk out with a paper saying you have a license, and the official card will come in the mail in 10 days.  Since the paper doesn't have a photograph, I don't think the ship's terminal staff would accept it.  

Yes, I'd like to know!  

OP boarded the Independence of the Seas yesterday, so not sure when we'll hear from him again.

Edited by Funky Fusion FoodsJ

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I need closure.  Were they able to board?  Do you know these people?

I don't know them personally but after a lot of faxxing of documents they were finally allowed to board and are very happy and relieved.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, garywatson said:

I don't know them personally but after a lot of faxxing of documents they were finally allowed to board and are very happy and relieved.

Thanks for the update.  It's always nice to hear the conclusion of these stories. I'm glad it worked out for these folks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

It's their 3rd cousin twice removed who's god son's nanny is the cousin of the dad's mistress.

Beat me to it. However, missed opportunity for:

"father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate" 

• Like 1

This doesn't really resolve anything - "but after a lot of faxxing of documents they were finally allowed to board " -

What documents could be faxed that would resolve the problem of not having a photo ID to match a birth certificate? Who would they be faxed from?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2