Late boarding time allocated

Al_W

58 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We can always find something to do for a few hours - Ikea being one idea! 

😂 And that would be my husband's idea of a nightmare start to a holiday, but nice try!  I would need a good divorce lawyer.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I can’t remember having radically earlier check in times when sailing with other lines - Cunard, NCL, RCI, FO, Carnival etc. 

I have a Princess cruise in my future with an 11 am check in time that I selected. 

I take your point about a hotel check in, but there is a difference.  I would aim to be at a hotel for the correct time. If the motorway closes in both directions, as has happened today on a motorway in this area, and I am headed to a hotel, it's inconvenient but nothing more - I arrive late.  If I'm headed to a ship, it could leave without me!  Hence the need to arrive early if travelling down on the day.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I can’t remember having radically earlier check in times when sailing with other lines - Cunard, NCL, RCI, FO, Carnival etc. 

I can understand wanting to embark as soon as possible if on a mini cruise but don’t quite understand the rush unless people are anxious about booking speciality restaurants etc. Hotels generally don’t allow early check in, so why expect cruises to be different? We can always find something to do for a few hours - Ikea being one idea! 

I get earlier boarding as I’m at Caribbean level, and that suits me, as I like to be on board asap, to get the holiday started. At the end of the holiday, I like to be off the ship asap as I don’t like hanging around once the cruise is over.

Next month, we are staying at a couple of Warner Hotels, Bembridge on the Isle of Wight, and then on to Cricket St Thomas.  Warner’s allow access to the rooms at 3pm, but you can pay extra for early checkin to the room at noon. We are paying for the early access at Bembridge, as we have an early ferry time. We can get unpacked very early, and it’ll feel like the holiday is really underway, rather than waiting around.

However, I don’t want to give P&O ideas, as I could see them making early checkin as a paid extra 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t want to give P&O ideas, as I could see them making early checkin as a paid extra 

I doubt that it would ever happen as there are too many variables that could prevent it from working resulting in having to deal with irate passengers demanding money back.

I boarded Britannia on the 16 April and travelled to Southampton on an Intercruises coach (not booked as part of a Select fare). On arrival at the terminal, a member of the port staff handed each party on the coach a card and instructed us to go straight into the terminal past the sizeable queue outside. I was on board 10 minutes later.

During the cruise I got chatting to a couple who had travelled on an Eavesway coach and it took them nearly 2 hours to get onboard. Apparently (and I accept this is hearsay) two Intercruises coaches were allowed to disembark their passengers ahead of Eavesway despite arriving later. 

It appears there is even a hierarchy to the coaches these days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cariad21 said:

I boarded Britannia on the 16 April and travelled to Southampton on an Intercruises coach (not booked as part of a Select fare). On arrival at the terminal, a member of the port staff handed each party on the coach a card and instructed us to go straight into the terminal past the sizeable queue outside. I was on board 10 minutes later.

During the cruise I got chatting to a couple who had travelled on an Eavesway coach and it took them nearly 2 hours to get onboard. Apparently (and I accept this is hearsay) two Intercruises coaches were allowed to disembark their passengers ahead of Eavesway despite arriving later. 

It appears there is even a hierarchy to the coaches these days!

The reason for Intercruises passengers being ahead of Eavesway passengers is probably because Intercruises is the P&O preferred coach company for select price passengers electing to take the coach rather be than OBC.

11 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Same for us. I honestly don’t know why people arrive before their allocated time! What’s the big rush? 

People are always eager to start their holiday ASAP, before we were Baltic we always arrived early. That way we had time to have a light lunch and would hope our luggage had arrived so we could unpack before the old muster drill.

Perhaps now with there being no muster drill, the pressure might be a little less, but having the time to wander around and get your bearings for those new to the ship, must still be a major attraction.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

People are always eager to start their holiday ASAP, before we were Baltic we always arrived early. That way we had time to have a light lunch and would hope our luggage had arrived so we could unpack before the old muster drill.

Perhaps now with there being no muster drill, the pressure might be a little less, but having the time to wander around and get your bearings for those new to the ship, must still be a major attraction.

Well yes, but you can still do all of that in a leisurely fashion. It’s a marathon, not a sprint! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Well yes, but you can still do all of that in a leisurely fashion. It’s a marathon, not a sprint! 

How do you manage to cram 6 hours leisurely activity into the 2 hours you get with a 4:00pm embarkation time?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

How do you manage to cram 6 hours leisurely activity into the 2 hours you get with a 4:00pm embarkation time?

Go to bed at midnight. 

Seriously, patience is a virtue. We’re never in a rush to embark or disembark for that matter. 

• Like 1

A frequent cruiser on RCCL told me on my last cruise that if he buys a last-minute deal he never does the online check-in, that way he does not get a check-in window and can go on at any time. 

You can do the check-in process at the port, which takes 5 mins.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Go to bed at midnight. 

Seriously, patience is a virtue. We’re never in a rush to embark or disembark for that matter. 

I'm about to experience a late boarding time for the first time in over 50 cruises and although I know someone has to be last am very concerned about possible delays impacting all sorts of things.

First night dinner becomes a problem.  Do I book in advance as I won't be able to cancel it if I'm in the queue at the terminal.  I also won't have a clue where the restaurant is as I won't have time to find it!  Realistically I'm looking at arriving for 4.00pm, join the queue and be processed, board, find my cabin, watch the safety video, go to find my muster station (again with no idea where I'm going) and get myself checked in.  The whole process means it's now well on it's way to 6.00pm and I've not even added in trying to book stuff on the app before it sells out.

In fact I'm tired just looking at this scenario!  Joking apart I can well see why there's reviews saying the first night of dining can be a mess. Take 6,000 people with no idea where they're going trying to find their way around a very large ship, sprinkle in tiredness from long journeys, restless kids and apps that a lot don't understand and chaos may well ensue.

Mind you after writing this I think it's room service or the buffet for me first night and my 6.15 Zenith booking best get cancelled!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jedi_Laz said:

A frequent cruiser on RCCL told me on my last cruise that if he buys a last-minute deal he never does the online check-in, that way he does not get a check-in window and can go on at any time. 

You can do the check-in process at the port, which takes 5 mins.

No idea how RCCL works, but we are embarking Cunard tomorrow and have been unable to check-in online due to an IT glitch that is refusing to accept my Credit Card or photographs, so will have to check-in at the port. However, we have still been given a check-in time (12pm), which I have taken a screen shot of, in the hope that the ‘queue Marshall Mafia’ will allow us to bypass any queues outside the terminal! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

No idea how RCCL works, but we are embarking Cunard tomorrow and have been unable to check-in online due to an IT glitch that is refusing to accept my Credit Card or photographs, so will have to check-in at the port. However, we have still been given a check-in time (12pm), which I have taken a screen shot of, in the hope that the ‘queue Marshall Mafia’ will allow us to bypass any queues outside the terminal! 

You'll be checked in okay, they're aware there's a problem and have already told me that's what I need to do. It will be just like the old days apparently!  The lady I spoke to told me they are prepared with a nice seating area for suite and priority guests, just in case.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

First ever RCCL we were impressed arrived at the terminal midday checked in on an iPad and straight onboard no waiting. This was some time ago though 

On 4/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

However, I don’t want to give P&O ideas, as I could see them making early checkin as a paid extra 

I think Carnival already do that. Called "First to the Fun" I think. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Hope all goes smoothly for you tomorrow and a very enjoyable cruise for you .

3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Hope all goes smoothly for you tomorrow and a very enjoyable cruise for you .

Thank you. That’s very kind. It will be our first non-P&O cruise, so a brave new world!

• Like 6

We live an hour or so from Southampton so are happy not to be first onboard, but would still not be happy with a 4pm boarding time as it leaves so little room for manoeuvre.

As it is, we have a leisurely morning, collect our house/cat sitter and then are ready to leave. Any boarding time much beyond lunchtime leaves us sitting around at home, twiddling our thumbs, looking at the clock every 5 minutes and getting restless.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you. That’s very kind. It will be our first non-P&O cruise, so a brave new world!

I very much hope you love Cunard as much as I do. Bon voyage!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne I hope your cruise is everything you and Mrs.Selbourne want to be. Have a great time.

I hope you won't leave us though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You'll be checked in okay, they're aware there's a problem and have already told me that's what I need to do. It will be just like the old days apparently!  The lady I spoke to told me they are prepared with a nice seating area for suite and priority guests, just in case.

Hope you too enjoy every moment of your cruise.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, happy v said:

Selbourne I hope your cruise is everything you and Mrs.Selbourne want to be. Have a great time.

I hope you won't leave us though!

Thanks. Much appreciated. We still have 4 P&O cruises to take over the next 11 months, so I won’t be defecting just yet 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. Much appreciated. We still have 4 P&O cruises to take over the next 11 months, so I won’t be defecting just yet 😂 

See you onboard.  I'm going home! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Enjoy  Cunard.

Since covid I've been on both Cunard QG and Saga. I must say Saga beat Cunard in every respect,  Food ,  service,  entertainment,  and certainly ambience.  Not by much but just a little better in every thing.