Build a better library

DesertRat46

When we boarded the Silhouette in Miami the library was nearly bare There's great space, nice seat but few books. 

I've since left 2 books to bolster the selection. I'd like to encourage Cruise Critic sailors to bring a book or 2 on your next sailing on an X ship and help build up the reading selection. Paperbacks don't weight much and don't take up much room in the luggage. 

It would be a shame of X converted that space to cabin or another revenue producing area.

Maybe more book will encourage more use of the library.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DesertRat46 said:

When we boarded the Silhouette in Miami the library was nearly bare There's great space, nice seat but few books. 

I've since left 2 books to bolster the selection. I'd like to encourage Cruise Critic sailors to bring a book or 2 on your next sailing on an X ship and help build up the reading selection. Paperbacks don't weight much and don't take up much room in the luggage. 

It would be a shame of X converted that space to cabin or another revenue producing area.

I could be mistaken but, I think covid might have impacted the previous selection and amount of both hardcopy and paperback books many of us took advantage of and enjoyed!  

We just left the Eclipse on April 19th.  Pre-covid we were on the Eclipse for six weeks in 2019.  The number of books in the Eclipse library looks the same to me post-covid as it did pre-covid.  I don't think that covid impacted the number of books in the ship libraries.  

While we now have a selection of books on each of our i-Pads.  But for years we have taken physical books to leave in the various ship libraries.  Just left a pair hardbacks on the Eclipse.

1 hour ago, DesertRat46 said:

I think this is wishful thinking. It's not going to happen. In fact on the E-Class libraries are non-existent. In the past on E-Class they tried a book cart that looked like a hotdog stand and I think most recently they have literally a handful tucked away on a ledge in one of the sitting nooks in Eden along the ramps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DesertRat46 said:

And here I am wanting a day time show or two to pass the time.  X already got rid of the library on the E-Class, I highly doubt they'll bring it back to the next class.  I understand that many prefer physical books to E-Readers but I definitely see more people using e-readers in the Solarium than I see people reading a physical book anywhere on the ship

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

While I agree, the space seems way too small

It would be too small indeed, as there are typically hundreds of Elite Captain's Club Members on a cruise.  More than that, I can't see Celebrity taking what is currently space that is neither making or losing revenue, and converting it into space that would generate costs, all to give people who prove by their presence they do not need further enticement to cruise.  Considering Celebrity removed Zenith Captain's Club members from the retreat, I hardly think it's likely they'll create a dedicated lounge for any level of Captain's Club members. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, omeinv said:

It would be too small indeed, as there are typically hundreds of Elite Captain's Club Members on a cruise.  More than that, I can't see Celebrity taking what is currently space that is neither making or losing revenue, and converting it into space that would generate costs, all to give people who prove by their presence they do not need further enticement to cruise.  Considering Celebrity removed Zenith Captain's Club members from the retreat, I hardly think it's likely they'll create a dedicated lounge for any level of Captain's Club members. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Was thinking the exact same, could see them creating two "interior balcony" staterooms

55 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think this is wishful thinking. It's not going to happen. In fact on the E-Class libraries are non-existent. In the past on E-Class they tried a book cart that looked like a hotdog stand and I think most recently they have literally a handful tucked away on a ledge in one of the sitting nooks in Eden along the ramps. 

And of course, on the two Revolutionized M class ships, the Library has been replaced with two inside cabins.

A few disturbing posts for an avid reader of real books.

I enjoyed the Library on Eclipse in December and hope it is similar on Solstice in October on another cruise with more sea days than port days. The library cart above looks pathetic!

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

A few disturbing posts for an avid reader of real books.

I enjoyed the Library on Eclipse in December and hope it is similar on Solstice in October on another cruise with more sea days than port days. The library cart above looks pathetic!

"Real books"  😄

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I guess that would rule out the OPs concern of additional inside cabins replacing the library. 

Plenty of room. During a previous renovation they added four inside cabins to the equivalent space on deck 9 (of Silhouette).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyD3 said:

Plenty of room. During a previous renovation they added four inside cabins to the equivalent space on deck 9 (of Silhouette).

That was my thinking why not a lounge if they can add additional cabins. Just wishful thinking. Doesn't really matter to me, as my library card is no longer valid. 😉

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DesertRat46 said:

I was book shopping with my son for our June cruise and told him we read them and leave them.  We will be adding to any library there is.  ☺️

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That was my thinking why not a lounge if they can add additional cabins. Just wishful thinking. Doesn't really matter to me, as my library card is no longer valid. 😉

They aren't going to add a lounge because that's not how Celebrity does their loyalty program. They never did so they're not going to start now. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

They aren't going to add a lounge because that's not how Celebrity does their loyalty program. They never did so they're not going to start now. 

Actually Zenith members had access to the Michael's Club "suite" lounge from early 2014 (when it was created) until the pandemic in 2020. FYI Zeniths had access before the Sky suites did !!!

• Like 1

If the library is likely to be turned into a revenue-generating venue, then I hereby cast my vote for either Paint with Wine (Is that still a thing?) or another jewelry or pre-loved luxury handbag shop.😂

On a more somber note, our local Simon property recently lost a couple of key tenants, our local Barnes & Noble and one of our town’s two multi-screen movie theaters.  The high rent at this mall has been the source of revolving storefronts since it was built 20-ish years ago.

40 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Actually Zenith members had access to the Michael's Club "suite" lounge from early 2014 (when it was created) until the pandemic in 2020. FYI Zeniths had access before the Sky suites did !!!

I forgot about that.  I was thinking more along the lines of Royal and their Diamond Lounges which would translate to an Elite and higher lounge on Celebrity. 

Edited by kwokpot

7 hours ago, kwokpot said: