What are your best tips for maximizing space for four adults in a mini-suite?

Good morning y’all! I am traveling with my husband and two adult sons on Enchanted Princess in two weeks. Initially it was just going to be myself and my sons so I booked a MS.  When my DH’s schedule opened up and he decided to join us there weren’t any more suites available.  I submitted a request through the upgrade program but with suites being sold out I doubt I’ll get an upgrade.

So MS it is!  I am looking for any tips on how to maximize our cabin space for four adults.  Any tips would be most graciously appreciated!  

Also I know there are some tips on how to keep the shower curtains from sticking to you. Unfortunately even though I’ve read them in the past I can’t remember any of them and I can’t seem to find them now so if anyone has tips on that too I will be most thankful!

Edited by boogiedownwanda

I assume that you have a cabin with an overhead bunk to serve as the fourth bed.  Your steward will put it back every morning when your room is serviced.  Since you’re sailing on a Royal class ship, there is a curtain between the main sleeping area and the sofa bed area.  You can close the curtain to give you and your sons some privacy.  

The bathroom is a decent size with a tub and enough storage for everyone’s personal items.  The shower head is similar to the rain shower heads in hotels.

Two televisions allow you to watch different programs, although you would need ear buds to mute the sound on one tv.  

We like to have the main bed separated into two singles as it gives a little more room to move around, but that’s just us.

There’s plenty of storage in the cabin for a family.  Lots of drawers in the cabinets and the closet is quite large.

I don’t know the location of your cabin, so balcony size will depend on that.  However, most are quite small and can accommodate only two people at a time.  Only two chairs fit on the standard balcony.

You should be fine with four people, although I prefer just the two of us.  Everyone has different needs and expectations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boogiedownwanda said:

Good morning y’all! I am traveling with my husband and two adult sons on Enchanted Princess in two weeks. Initially it was just going to be myself and my sons so I booked a MS.  When my DH’s schedule opened up and he decided to join us there weren’t any more suites available.  I submitted a request through the upgrade program but with suites being sold out I doubt I’ll get an upgrade.

So MS it is!  I am looking for any tips on how to maximize our cabin space for four adults.  Any tips would be most graciously appreciated!  

Also I know there are some tips on how to keep the shower curtains from sticking to you. Unfortunately even though I’ve read them in the past I can’t remember any of them and I can’t seem to find them now so if anyone has tips on that too I will be most thankful!

Is there an inside available near you?  It would be great for your sons to sleep,

shower and TV.  That’s what I would do.

But, others have already offered suggestions for the 4 of you in the MS.

If it’s in 2 weeks, there may be a good deal on an inside.  IDK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A clear, over-the-door shoe hanger is my go-to, must-have cruise item.  You can use strong magnets to hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.   I hate having "stuff" all over the bathroom counter, and I can keep everything needed in the pockets.   I keep toothpaste, lotion, sunscreen, over the counter medications, hair brushes, band aids, safety pins - just about everything fits in it.  

Edited by CATGUY7
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Maybe I missed it...you really didn't clarify what class of MS you are in...but does the cabin you are currently booked in actually *allow* a 4th person?  Some do, some don't.

Yes.  My original MS only allowed 3 but they moved us to one that allows 4.  Thanks for highlighting that!

• Thanks 1

If you are in club class, you will not be able to dine with your sons if they are booked in an inside.  

Bring lots and lots and lots of magnetic hooks and clips.

Bring a NON surge protector charging device.  4 people times 6 (maybe) devices is a lot of things to plug into one outlet.

I don't know if they "fixed" the remote controls for the television, but it used to be that one device would change the channel on the "other" television.

If your sons are tall enough, pack a couple of extra collapsible/disposable cardboard boxes for the shelf above the closet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These magnetic hooks stick to most walls https://amzn.to/3B7BDIS

and will help to hang up jackets, hats, bags, towel etc etc.  We've even used them to hang a sheet from the ceiling when our daughter was in a port-a-crib and we needed to make it a darker area.

Also, one or two of these multiplugs.  Even though the enchanted has more outlets than previous ships, we all have more electronics than before also.

https://amzn.to/41f3MrN

• Thanks 1

We have done MS with teenagers.  The big issue was bathroom scheduling.  I like the idea of sending them to the gym to shower (both boys.)  One of them has taken up lifting weights since our last cruise, so maybe he will like the idea.  Since they are teenagers, they don't seem too interested in organizing their junk.  Maybe we'll work on that.

When my brother and I cruise, I put up a shower curtain with the magnetic hooks on the ceiling of the closet/bathroom area for a place to change clothes. It’s a bit easier than just having the bathroom to change in. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

These magnetic hooks stick to most walls https://amzn.to/3B7BDIS

and will help to hang up jackets, hats, bags, towel etc etc.  We've even used them to hang a sheet from the ceiling when our daughter was in a port-a-crib and we needed to make it a darker area.

Also, one or two of these multiplugs.  Even though the enchanted has more outlets than previous ships, we all have more electronics than before also.

https://amzn.to/41f3MrN

Thanks a bunch!  Just added these to my cart!!

Just now, boogiedownwanda said:

We use magnetic hooks and they are a must!

The wardrobe is a good size so you shouldn’t have a problem if you ask for some more hangers. The shelf above the wardrobe goes right into the corner so you could make sure you make use of this space.

From what I remember from a mini suite on the Sky there is only one extra bed side table (pretty good size) by the sofa but there is a slim section of space between the sofa and balcony door which might be useful for a rucksack or slim item. There is also a slim space between the bedside table and the sofa (the bedside is moveable) which you could use for storing a rucksack or something.

There is also some floor space between the dressing table and balcony door under the TV, if you could make use of this space somehow in an organised way that would be good, otherwise it might turn into a dumping ground for bags and things which could get untidy. 

The mattress in the sofa basically flips over at night time rather than unfolds, but the issue you may have is where the steward will put the sofa cushions at nighttime. 

Then on the edge of the dressing table there are some shelves which are open, I’m not a great fan of these because things are not put away nicely but if you have tall items (maybe even packing cubes) that can go here instead of cluttering the table that might be good as long as they are not likely to topple off the shelf.

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nicole&Pete said:

We use magnetic hooks and they are a must!

The wardrobe is a good size so you shouldn’t have a problem if you ask for some more hangers. The shelf above the wardrobe goes right into the corner so you could make sure you make use of this space.

From what I remember from a mini suite on the Sky there is only one extra bed side table (pretty good size) by the sofa but there is a slim section of space between the sofa and balcony door which might be useful for a rucksack or slim item. There is also a slim space between the bedside table and the sofa (the bedside is moveable) which you could use for storing a rucksack or something.

There is also some floor space between the dressing table and balcony door under the TV, if you could make use of this space somehow in an organised way that would be good, otherwise it might turn into a dumping ground for bags and things which could get untidy. 

The mattress in the sofa basically flips over at night time rather than unfolds, but the issue you may have is where the steward will put the sofa cushions at nighttime. 

Then on the edge of the dressing table there are some shelves which are open, I’m not a great fan of these because things are not put away nicely but if you have tall items (maybe even packing cubes) that can go here instead of cluttering the table that might be good as long as they are not likely to topple off the shelf.

Hope that helps

Just thinking actually what you could do is move the coffee table which is in front of the sofa into the space between the dressing table and balcony and use it as extra shelf space (there is a table top and shelf below).

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:46 AM, boogiedownwanda said:

Get a second cabin even if it's a balcony cabin because four adults do not really do well in anything shy of a full suite.

Magnetic hooks, power strips, over the door shoe holder to hold things like brushes and other things.  We always bring a collapsible laundry hamper to collect the dirty clothes and haul them to the laundry.  If you use the onboard laundry then you won't be packing nearly as many clothes. 

I'd completely unpack and put all clothes in the provided drawers and closets to put the suitcases away. 

The ship provides shower gel and shampoo to save space in the tub. 

A bathroom hanging organizer for inside bathroom to hold everyone's bathroom stuff.  Get another one for the boys to take to the gym showers. 

If you have a balcony, get a bungee cord and some clips to use as an outdoor 'clothes hanger' for drying bathing suits.   That might be a bit trashy, but with 4 adults in such a tiny space, it will be nice to get the wet clothes outside and not have them fly off into the ocean. They have a clothes line inside the bathroom but you can't use the shower then.  

Also, to save your sanity, get everyone ear plugs and eye masks so no one is keeping anyone else awake.  

We did two weeks with my parents and my younger sibling several years ago but all adults and let me tell you, the amount of snoring my brother and dad did would have had me so sleep deprived I would have started throwing them off the ship if I didn't have my ear plugs. 

• Like 1

I don't know what your finances are, but you had looked into a suite.  How about a family suite?

Do the Royal Class ships even have them?

Edited by cr8tiv1

Magnets have been covered.

Here are a few others:

Get a shoe rack to hang on the outside of the bathroom door. This will allow for storing all types of items besides shoes. AMAZON Link.

Use the floor of the closet wisely. It is a great place for storing less needed items. 

Room steward can supply extra hangers,

Store luggage nested under the bed.

As for extra outlets for charging, there is usually a spare outlet behind each tv on the older ships. I use extension cords and plug in multiples to the first one. As for power strips, good luck finding a non GFI and convincing the the checkers it isn't one.

• Thanks 1