Anyone ever had Carnival lose your luggage?

love4monsters

Disembarked this morning from the Magic at Port Canaveral and are missing a bag. Completely apathetic staff to our plight. Anyone have experience with this and have tips on how to navigate the process? The one t shirt we purchased for our son is gone from the most perfect day in St Maarten on a catamaran. Carnival is losing 3 cruisers today. The lack of care or effort illustrates why we won't be on their ships any longer. 

The happened to 2 people on my last cruise from Galveston. Not a Carnival cruise. The 2 parties were not together and the port staff  (who work for the port and not the cruise lines) were VERY unhelpful and rude. One of the people finally had the employees contact port security even though they didn’t want to. One of the bags had an Air Tag in it and they could see it moving. They security was able to see where the bag ended up (locally) and matched it with unclaimed luggage in the terminal. An elderly couple picked up the wrong luggage and didn’t verify the tags. Ended up bringing the bags back to the port. 

Hopefully it is something equally innocent with your bag and when the person realizes they will contact the port. There should be a lost and found I would think. I would also contact Carnival do they will know about the port employees lack of help even if they don’t work for them. 

• Like 2

Once my SIL left a cruise dock in NYC, and completely forgot she had brought a certain bag, and left it sitting on the dock and drove home.  Luckily her identification was on the bag, and a few days later the cruise line (NCL)/port shipped it to her.

I have also heard stories of bags accidentally being placed in different sections in the port during disembarkation, so it always helps to do a walk-through before departing.  Honestly, the responsibility belongs to the port staff, NOT the cruise line.  

Hope your bag turns up soon!

• Like 4

This happened to us a number of years ago out of Long Beach.

Another passenger accidentally took our bag instead of his.  Thankfully he lived in the area abs when he opened the bag and saw our tag he called our cell.  

There really wasn’t anything the staff could do.  It took a few hours of stress but we got it back.  

hope it works out for you.  

• Like 1

This is why I don't mind the restricted wardrobe that comes with using a carry on suitcase.  You always have it with you, so it doesn't get lost.  The main reason is having to fly to port - I'd rather not pay for a checked bag if I can help it.

• Like 3

Once the bags leave the ship it (supposedly) is not Carnival's problem anymore - it becomes the dockside workers, who are not through Carnival, from what I understand.   I do agree CCL could be more sympathetic to your plight.  Keep calling the port to see if it turned up- another passenger may have picked it up by mistake.  Hopefully your luggage was labelled and someone can contact you.  We have also learned to put anything we don't want possibly lost upon embark or debarkation in our backpacks, which never leave our hands.   We recently purchased AirTags for our luggage.  Too late for you to do that now, but maybe in the future....

• Like 2

Absolutely hindsight. But I wouldn’t travel without an AirTag anymore. I’m so sorry this happened to you, it’s one of my biggest fears with cruising.

Is there anything you can do? Honestly, aside from contacting the carnival lost and found department I don’t know? Hopefully it’s a situation of someone grabbed the wrong suitcase. But if not, it has to be there somewhere, right? Maybe it will turn up. 

Wearing uniforms, or not, they still do not work for Carnival, they work for the port. Those same folks will wear different uniforms for the next cruise line when a different ship is at the pier. They answer to different bosses.

This does not mean I don't care about your loss, just that you're blaming the wrong entity.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, lennythenose said:

One of the bags had an Air Tag in it and they could see it moving. They security was able to see where the bag ended up (locally) and matched it with unclaimed luggage in the terminal.

Aren't Air Tags only good up to 100 feet or something like that?  How were they able to see where the bag ended up?  Just trying to see if I should get Air Tags, but if they are only good up to a certain distance, not sure I would benefit with them

5 minutes ago, thundercrack said:

Aren't Air Tags only good up to 100 feet or something like that?  How were they able to see where the bag ended up?  Just trying to see if I should get Air Tags, but if they are only good up to a certain distance, not sure I would benefit with them

Yes but as other people with iPhones pass in and out of range of AirTags, their position is updated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yes but as other people with iPhones pass in and out of range of AirTags, their position is updated.

So if my luggage is 10 miles away, and anyone with an Iphone passes it, the position is updated and I can see the new position on my Iphone at that time?  Did not know that., maybe it is worth getting.  Thanks for the info

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thundercrack said:

So if my luggage is 10 miles away, and anyone with an Iphone passes it, the position is updated and I can see the new position on my Iphone at that time?  Did not know that., maybe it is worth getting.  Thanks for the info

That is correct.

Most likely someone accidentally walked off with it and hopefully will realize their error and contact the cruise line (my family did this once when traveling with my parents, 4 adults, 5 children, a little chaotic). I don’t know what the port staff can do if this is the case.

99% of the time this occurs because some other cruiser has accidentally taken your bag and although infrequent, it does occasionally occur. Given the volume, there is no chance any cruiseline will ever require a 'secure' process where folks will be required to barcode and have their bag scanned upon retrieval.  The cruiseline didn't 'lose' it. A fellow passenger 'took' it.  Even though the risk is extremely low, we never put our bags out for the crew to put them ashore and always carry our own off. I know that's not helpful to the OP and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your honest fellow passenger calls when they discover the mistake.

Is the lost luggage covered by travel insurance?  maybe through your credit card?

Luggage gets lost/stolen in lots of ways.  Usually it gets found because it does not have much value to anyone but the owner.  I don't think Carnival wants anyone's luggage.  If it turns up, the line will go to some expense to get it to you.

Good luck with the bags turning up.

5 hours ago, love4monsters said:

Bag was labeled so fingers crossed.

Hi @love4monsters🙂

Thank goodness your bag was labeled. 

Was this documented & reported at the terminal??

For decades, we always attach seperate, extremely secure luggage tags, other than air line or cruise line luggage tags, that contain only our (Name, Address & Cell Phone) contact information.

And (inside) each suitcase, we also always place a piece of paper on top of our clothing, containing the same information.

Please come back to your post here with updates, when possible.

Good luck & my fingers are crossed for you as well!

🤞

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, love4monsters said:

Disembarked this morning from the Magic at Port Canaveral and are missing a bag. Completely apathetic staff to our plight. Anyone have experience with this and have tips on how to navigate the process? The one t shirt we purchased for our son is gone from the most perfect day in St Maarten on a catamaran. Carnival is losing 3 cruisers today. The lack of care or effort illustrates why we won't be on their ships any longer. 

Curious if anyone did any paperwork to document your lost luggage?   

15 hours ago, love4monsters said:

A few cruises back at Miami my bag did not show up in the claims area. Everyone looked for it from one end of the area to the other no success. Went home hoping for a phone call saying it was found. Well it was found. What happened, was the bag fell off the cart with nobody picking it up. Possibly this same thing happened to you.

51 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Curious if anyone did any paperwork to document your lost luggage?   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, love4monsters said:

You do realize that the people who handle the luggage aren't Carnival employees, right?

• Like 2

Quick update - bag was located but Carnival emailed to tell us they will let us know the cost of shipping the bag. Are they actually serious???????

I was already on board looking at MSC cruises while on the Magic. Time to try a new line. Our son is older and ready to branch out too!

Edited by love4monsters
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, love4monsters said:

Quick update - bag was located but Carnival emailed to tell us they will let us know the cost of shipping the bag. Are they actually serious???????

I was already on board looking at MSC cruises while on the Magic. Time to try a new line. Our son is older and ready to branch out too!

Glad they found it!  Yeah, that's pretty bad if they're actually going to expect you to pay for return shipping cost.🤨  Even if the baggage loss wasn't their fault, goodwill towards the customer says they should eat the cost for shipping.  

Yes, enjoy the other lines - we certainly do!   But we still enjoy the Carnival product too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, love4monsters said:

Happened to my mom a few years ago. It cost her $125 to get her missing bag from Seattle back to NJ.  It was clearly the cruise lines fault since the bag was never taken off the ship.

This was on CELEBRITY, her favorite cruise line!

Mother should have listened to daughter for once.  I told her, CARRY ON, CARRY OFF (LOL).

Happy they located your bag.  This can happen on any line.

• Like 1

I’m glad you found your bag!  On our last cruise (Royal) our bags were very late in coming to us - way after the other bags had been delivered and pulled into rooms. We do pack extra underwear in our carry on, but we’ve decided from then on, we’ll only pack a 22” carry on and our backpacks. We don’t mind repeating clothes and we don’t do formal nights (although my daughter had a very nice formal dress that could be rolled into a little ball and pop out ready to wear!) so we’ll be easy carry on/carry off!

• Like 1