Wine Packages

HMSDingy

As others have mentioned in the past, it sounds like it's best to wait until you board to purchase a wine package.  You can see what wines are actually available on board, which can be very different than what is listed on the website.

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are a 4 or 5 star mariner there is a disadvantage in buying it in advance.  I bought the 8-bottle #1 package expecting a 50% discount from the $258. price.  Checked my credit card statement onboard and found that they had charged me $258.  Brought it up with the front desk 3 times and finally gave them a photo of my credit card statement.  They said they would take care of it, but they did not.  I think that if I had bought it onboard that would not have happened.  Incidentally, they still owe me $129.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One other bit of advice: When you buy a package, you can either choose to get it all at once or a bottle at a time. If there's something you like particularly in the package and know that you'll want several bottles of, I'd get it and take it back to my stateroom. You don't want to have them run out of your favorite wine. Plus, all the bottles around the cabin brighten the place up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

Plus, all the bottles around the cabin brighten the place up!

I guess they would give a nicer ambiance than cans of Bud Light in the mini fridge!!!  😁

~Nancy

• Haha 2

We also have all our wine delivered to the cabin at one time. Another advantage to us is when we go to dinner ( or Pinnacle Lunch) we just take it eith us. No waiting for staff to locate your bottle and bring it to you. I'm  sure many of us gave seen folks waiting for their wine way past starters and sometimes till after mains arrive. I like to start our meals with a nice cold white, then move on to a nice red depending on entree order. Keeping it with us in the cabin saves and bringing it to dinner saves time and frustration!

Doug

• Like 5

Slighty off topic but also on, if i bring in wine before the cruise or from a port does the $20 corkage apply if you drink it in your room or its applied once they find it on the ship regardless of where you consume it?

5 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Slighty off topic but also on, if i bring in wine before the cruise or from a port does the $20 corkage apply if you drink it in your room or its applied once they find it on the ship regardless of where you consume it?

In theory, yes. However, as it is Holland we are talking about, you just never know how strict it accommodating they may be. All wine must be in your carry-on  when boarding and they may send you to the alcohol table to pay the corkage and place a sticker on it proving you have paid. At that point you may drink your wine wherever you please. We have had it happen both ways, corkage and no corkage. Have fun!

Doug

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Slighty off topic but also on, if i bring in wine before the cruise or from a port does the $20 corkage apply

One exception to the corkage fee for all bottles brought on board is if you purchase a bottle while on a HAL shore excursion to a wine vineyard, one bottle (750 ml) per adult is exempt. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, echoshipmate said:

We also have all our wine delivered to the cabin at one time.

When you buy the wine package and have bottles delivered to the cabin, does the ship provide a corkscrew and bottle stopper or should I bring them from home?

4 hours ago, Jay5 said:

When you buy the wine package and have bottles delivered to the cabin, does the ship provide a corkscrew and bottle stopper or should I bring them from home?

They will provide a corkscrew but no stopper. Many of the bottles are screw top, so, more and more are moving that way, won't need a stopper.

Doug

On 5/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, oakridger said:

As others have mentioned in the past, it sounds like it's best to wait until you board to purchase a wine package.  You can see what wines are actually available on board, which can be very different than what is listed on the website.

~Nancy

Also, I have heard that the crew member selling you a package gets some sort of credit for doing so.  Thus I like to wait to purchase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Also, I have heard that the crew member selling you a package gets some sort of credit for doing so.  Thus I like to wait to purchase.

Do we have to get in a line at those kiosks on embarkation day to purchase or can any server in the MDR or dining room sell it to us? We just purchased one but would consider cancelling and repurchasing on board if there is a credit to a crew member IF it is hassle free. FWIW - we're not big wine people so not that concerned about what we are  picking from (less selection probably better for us!)

47 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Do we have to get in a line at those kiosks on embarkation day to purchase or can any server in the MDR or dining room sell it to us? We just purchased one but would consider cancelling and repurchasing on board if there is a credit to a crew member IF it is hassle free. FWIW - we're not big wine people so not that concerned about what we are  picking from (less selection probably better for us!)

Any bar server can sell out to you - MDR or elsewhere.  I usually check out the wines on board at the kiosk and rarely see any lineup.  

• Thanks 3

On 5/26/2023 at 9:49 AM, rodndonna said:

I have always purchased mine from whoever is serving the wine at the MDR table.  They really do seem to appreciate it and it is quick and easy.  

• Like 3

Like @DaveOKC  we've pretty much always purchased our wine packages from our MDR wine steward. The only exception was when our wine steward from a previous cruise recognized us during embarkation lunch in the Lido. We gave him our business because he recognized us. We appreciate the hustle and initiative.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I usually get a wine package but on our cruise next year we are getting the beverage package included.  I always like our bottle of wine handy and my concern is how long will I have to wait for a second (or third) glass. 

What have others experienced?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The wine bottle will be on your table in the MDR.  If my glass is empty and the steward is not near, I just pour my own second or third glass.  Not a big deal.

Ray

I think the OP is saying they have the beverage package so may not need a wine package.  When ordering wine by the glass in MDR, how long is the wait and how difficult or easy is it to order a 2nd or 3rd glass during the meal?

I don't do the MDR so can't be of any help.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

We have found service to be quicker now with wine by the glass than before covid when we were often still waiting for the wine bottle to arrive when the first course was served. We have had no problem ordering a second or third glass and liquors to be delivered with the coffees.

Do not be afraid to query if you think you might have the wrong wine, as the waiters carry a full tray of glasses and we have been given the wrong one a few times!

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Yes, perhaps I wasn't clear with  my question. WDW1972 worded my question better.

On our last cruise we had HIA. I found that it was easy to just order a double pour when I ordered at first. They usually brought two carafes' and poured them into one glass. My account was then charged for two wines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Yes, perhaps I wasn't clear with  my question. WDW1972 worded my question better.

My fault, too.  I assumed "wine package" meant buying 6 or 8 bottles of wine at the beginning of the cruise as we did the last time we sailed.  Didn't realize when the waiters were delivering the tiny carafes of wine to the next table that it was also a wine package.

Ray