Moving to another country via cruise ship

Momo71

Had anyone moved to another country via cruise ship? I am moving to Japan and am hoping to do it by cruising. I talked to the Documentation depth about it and they seem to think it is doable but I am hoping to speak with someone who has actually done it and can give me some insight 

I was on a cruise around South America. One couple was getting off in Ecuador to live there. They brought all their luggage filled with stuff. 

I’d think you’d need the correct immigration documentation, and if you need a deviation for disembarking at a port other the ship’s destination that needs to be requested well in advance. 

• Like 1

Yes I was on a Cunard cruise last year which was repositioning from Europe to Australia - there was a young  couple on board who were relocating to Australia from the UK. 

What's the question? Obviously, you still have to have your visas sorted out - the advantage of the cruise ship is lack of limit on your luggage - you'll still have to fit it into your cabin though. 

Otherwise there is no difference arriving by a ship or a plane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momo71 said:

Had anyone moved to another country via cruise ship? I am moving to Japan and am hoping to do it by cruising. I talked to the Documentation depth about it and they seem to think it is doable but I am hoping to speak with someone who has actually done it and can give me some insight 

What documentation department? You need a long-stay visa from the Japanese - talk to them.  The cruise ship is just an alternatve to arriving by plane. So long as you have the right to arrive in Japan the cruise line doesn't care when you leave/if you leave. We may cruise to Japan next year - and then stay on for a few weeks - the cruise line doesn't know that - why would they? 

• Like 2

What you do after getting off the ship is generally out of the ship’s business, save, perhaps, validating you have an appropriate entry visa for the cruise’s final port of call (like airlines, they don’t want to be responsible for costs).

The cruise line may care a little about what is being transported. It would need, at a minimum, to comply with core requirements regarding prohibited items. While there’s nothing I am aware of saying you can’t bring a sofa, I am not sure what would happen if you showed up at the dock with one (read your contract).

Each country has its own laws about entry- whether for tourism, work, marriage, or other purposes. It would be on you to secure whatever you needed in your particular situation.

You’d also need to address any intermittent stops and whether any transient.visas would be needed for stops along the way.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand what you're asking. If your visa is sorted, it doesn't matter how you arrive. When I relocated from the US to Continental Europe, I considered sailing so that my cat wouldn't have to go in the cargo hold. Ultimately, I decided that a week plus in an onboard kennel (Cunard) wasn't necessarily an improvement, so we flew. 

I sent my belongings ahead in a shipping container and they arrived a few weeks after we did. 

• Like 1

You will need permission from the cruise line to disembark at a port if it is not the normal disembarkation port.  They have to arrange for immigration or whatever that country requires if a passenger is getting off and staying off. 

14 hours ago, Momo71 said:

Moving to a new country by cruise ship/ocean liner used to be a common occurrence. Back in the days of steam liners, we also had cargo holds, so loading possessions on the ship was not an issue. On SS Oriana, prior to departure from Southampton, bound for Sydney, we loaded many crates and even a car.

The modern cruise ships have no holds, so shipping possessions on the same ship is no longer an option. You will need to hire a shipping company for that task.

Once you have Visas and/or residency permit arranged, arriving by ship is no different than arriving on a flight. However, if the cruise you select does not end in Japan, you will need to advise the cruise line and receive permission to disembark before the end of the cruise. This can incur a premium charge, as it involves additional paperwork. Even if the cruise ended in Japan, I would advise the cruise line of your intent to stay in Japan, as that will be noted on the manifests.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in 1977, my wife and I relocated from the UK back to the US on the QE2.  While the company paid for a shipping container to follow via cargo ship for most of our belongings, that would be about 2-3 months before we got the stuff.  So, Cunard allowed two suitcases per person in the cabin, two steamer trunks per person in the "baggage room" (not accessible during the voyage), and 200 cubic feet per person of freight in the cargo hold.

As others have noted, arriving in your new country via airplane or ship is just the same, but you will have to have a different interview with customs and immigration than the rest of the passengers getting off the ship.

• Like 1

Something I read on this site years ago, was of some Brazillian nationals who were returning to their home country after working in Europe, and using a cruise ship for this, buying an extra cabin for all the things they had bought.

• Like 1

I moved from the US to Australia on a cargo ship back in 1969.  I had to complete extensive paperwork in advance, as I was going as a migrant.  The upside of the ship was that there was no apparent limit to what I could take (in my case, 18 pieces of baggage including several large steamer trunks).  The downside was that I could not book for a certain date, but just get on a list in case of an available cabin.  I did that, and was told I would be sailing in June.  I quit my job, and drove to NYC to stay with cousins for a couple of days.  The ship did not arrive until August, and after being called that morning, I had just a couple of hours to get there.

As long as you have your paperwork sorted, how you get there doesn't matter. 

I've always wanted to either to or from one of my expat assignments by cruise ship. It's allowed by my employer (although they don't pay the full fare, only a portion and you have to use vacation days...) but so far the turnaround between assignments has always been too tight to manage it. But my friends who have large dogs swear by the Queen Mary and will reserve those tickets before they even head out to their post of assignment, because it's far safer for the dog and just as expensive as trying to get a St. Bernard on a flight.

• 2 months later...

An American visiting Japan is no problem (no Visa necessary) if they have a valid Passport.  But once in Japan, you are subject to all the rules of Japan and will need to check on their residency and/or long term visa requirements.  It is best to do this by calling/visiting a Japanese Consulate or Embassy in your home country.  Atlanta, Miami or Nashville are probably among the best options for your part of the country.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

An American visiting Japan is no problem (no Visa necessary) if they have a valid Passport.  But once in Japan, you are subject to all the rules of Japan and will need to check on their residency and/or long term visa requirements.  It is best to do this by calling/visiting a Japanese Consulate or Embassy in your home country.  Atlanta, Miami or Nashville are probably among the best options for your part of the country.

Hank

According to the US Department of State you need an onward/return ticket for a tourist visa-free stay. You also can't enter Japan for a visa-free 90 day tourist stay and then apply for another status while staying in Japan. You have to leave Japan, obtain the appropriate visa and then you'll be allowed to return to Japan:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Japan.html

Entry & Exit:

• You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.
  • You cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry.
  • "Visa free" entry status may not be changed to another visa status without departing and then re-entering Japan with the appropriate visa, such as a spouse, work, or study visa.
  • Japanese immigration officers may deny you entry if you appear to have no visible means of support. 
  • All foreign nationals are required to provide fingerprint scans and to be photographed at the port of entry. Exceptions to this requirement include diplomatic and official visa holders, minors, and individuals covered under SOFA Article IX.2. For further information about landing procedures, please visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website
  • Make sure your passport is valid. Note you cannot travel on a passport you have previously declared as lost or stolen even if you subsequently locate it. Japanese authorities will likely deny you entry into Japan if you attempt to do so. If you have reported your passport lost or stolen, you must apply for a new passport before travel.

Great idea!   Cruising is so much better than flying.  We’ve used a cruise as transportation to another continent and stayed for a few months before cruising home, but that isn’t the same as actually moving.  What do you expect to be different on moving via a cruise ship vs by airplane?  Wouldn’t your belongings move on a cargo ship either way?

On 6/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, shipgeeks said:

I moved from the US to Australia on a cargo ship back in 1969.  I had to complete extensive paperwork in advance, as I was going as a migrant.  The upside of the ship was that there was no apparent limit to what I could take (in my case, 18 pieces of baggage including several large steamer trunks).  The downside was that I could not book for a certain date, but just get on a list in case of an available cabin.  I did that, and was told I would be sailing in June.  I quit my job, and drove to NYC to stay with cousins for a couple of days.  The ship did not arrive until August, and after being called latemorning, I had just a couple of hours to get there.

A further note to the above:  When I returned to the US 12 years later, I was returning by myself, and I flew. Some days prior to that, I had three of the steamer trunks picked up by a shipping company, for transporting back.  That was in February.  They finally arrived around August.  I'm sure they had to wait to fill a container, ship them to NYC, then have them transported to my city.  But everything did arrive in good order; just not quickly.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I would expect that if they are "moving to Japan" they know the residency laws and aren't trying to get in on a tourist visa. 

Hey everyone! Getting ready for the big move!

Still haven't discovered if there is a SoFA counter coming into port so I get the proper stamp right away but I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be like the airport!!

• 2 months later...