A short and very positive review of our June 4th 6 day Equinox cruise with our Lactose intolerant Granddaughter.

terrydtx

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

terrydtx was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We just got off the 6 night Equinox cruise last Saturday with my wife and 12 year old Granddaughter (GD) and over all it was an excellent experience and a great cruise. We were in Sky Suite #2124, and it was more than enough room for the 3 of us. Our GD is extremely lactose intolerant and she presents issues with finding food on a cruise, but the whole Luminae staff exceeded our expectations, which I will cover later,

Of our 3 previous Retreat cruises our butler, Katerina, was the best of any cruise. The first day when she introduced herself, she asked what drinks we wanted in our cabin and mini fridge. We asked for Evian bottled water and white and red wine and our GD asked for lemon flavored Vitamin water and we were provided with a supply for the whole cruise at no charge and told it was all included with the PDP of the Retreat. The wines provided were the Kendal Jackson Elegance Chardonnay and Pino Noir. On the day we debarked we still has an unopened bottle of Pino and Katarina suggested we pack it in our suit case and take it home with us, we did and it made it home. The 3 mornings we did room service breakfast Katarina brought hot and on time food. She also brought afternoon cheese and shrimp platters for us without asking and a bowl of fresh berries for our GD.  Katarina also offered to bring drinks from the bar to our cabin, something we never did since we had wine to drink.

We dined in Luminae for all of our diners and 3 of our breakfasts. Our Luminae waiter for the whole  cruise was Antony and he has to be the best waiter we have ever had on any cruise. As I said earlier, the GD is extremely lactose intolerant and the availability of food for her issues was our biggest concern, on top of this she is very picky eater and does not like a lot of sauces on her meats. Finding desserts, she can eat is another issue.  The first day Antony worked with the Luminae chefs to bring out meals completely lactose free including desserts. At dinner each night he would bring her the menu for the next night and she would choose what she wanted and the chefs would make it lactose and dairy free and at the same time delicious.  The bread guy also made sure he offered her only dairy free breads and rolls, which she had with every meal. The chefs made delicious desserts dairy free with coconut milk and one day Katarina brought to our cabin a bowl of chocolate Mouse for her to try as it was a special he whipped up just for her and he wanted her opinion.  For breakfast they made both waffles and pancakes with dairy free batter that she also loved.  The whole Luminae staff 200% exceeded our expectations. For my wife and I the meals in Luminae were the best of any previous Luminae experience and we saw no reason to dine in any specialty restaurant.

Our Equinox cruise was the first for her with the new Star Link Wi-Fi and it was amazing compared to the past services. We had the Premium service with the Retreat and we never experienced any issues. Our GD was able to make video call to her parents and they were as perfect as being on land. I made a couple of Wi-Fi calls to land and again they were crystal clear.

The crew were all as friendly as any Celebrity cruise and so well trained. Our room attendant Bogus was also amazing and the cabin was kept clean and well stocked. Overall, I give this cruise and crew a perfect 10 score and I cannot think of anything negative.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I can't recall a single negative review of how Celebrity handles dietary issues. This is where X really shines. Sounds like you had a great cruise with GD.

Even when we ordered room service, they were aware of her issues and worked around them. It was a great cruise.

• Like 3

We know Antony pretty well. Aren't all the Equinox staff in Luminae wonderful? We are so spoiled having cruised with them about 5 times now. Have two more Retreat cruises booked on EQ through Feb. That will most likely be out last Retreat for a while. We do not get off the ship due to our failing energy and slowing mobility, so we only do Caribbean now and RF will be the ship there after EQ leaves. Many more suites on RF, so we are going to avoid paying a bundle only to see Luminae probably more crowded and noisy than on EQ. We used to eat in the buffet and liked it before Retreat. So can do it again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice review and I am pleased to read that you had such an outstanding cruise.  It sounds like you need to cancel your upcoming non-Celebrity cruises now.

• Haha 1

Thank for this review.  I was waiting for your return ever since I heard you were doing this cruise.  We are doing the same cruise on July 2nd.   First time in a sky suite (corner) and we are looking forward to it. I have to see if I can get non alcoholic beer in the cabin fridge.  Anything other than O’Doul’s

Kevin

33 minutes ago, 39august said:

We know Antony pretty well. Aren't all the Equinox staff in Luminae wonderful? We are so spoiled having cruised with them about 5 times now. Have two more Retreat cruises booked on EQ through Feb. That will most likely be out last Retreat for a while. We do not get off the ship due to our failing energy and slowing mobility, so we only do Caribbean now and RF will be the ship there after EQ leaves. Many more suites on RF, so we are going to avoid paying a bundle only to see Luminae probably more crowded and noisy than on EQ. We used to eat in the buffet and liked it before Retreat. So can do it again!

All of the suites were sold out on our cruise and we not once had to wait for a table in Luminae. We entered for dinner most nights between 6 and 6:45pm. The Retreat Lounge was never very busy except when they held special events for Retreat guests.

You are correct all of the Luminae staff were fantastic, every time they saw our GD they called her "Princess" and treated her like one.

Edited by terrydtx

6 minutes ago, lovetocruisee said:

Thank for this review.  I was waiting for your return ever since I heard you were doing this cruise.  We are doing the same cruise on July 2nd.   First time in a sky suite (corner) and we are looking forward to it. I have to see if I can get non alcoholic beer in the cabin fridge.  Anything other than O’Doul’s

Kevin

We could have gotten beer in our room if we wanted them, so I bet you will be able to get any non alcoholic beer on board. Your first day in Luminae ask for a table with Antony and he will be your waited for the whole cruise.

20 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Very nice review and I am pleased to read that you had such an outstanding cruise.  It sounds like you need to cancel your upcoming non-Celebrity cruises now.

We are done with cruising in the Caribbean and will now only do itinerary driven cruises. We will still look at Celebrity if they have a competing itinerary we like. In the cases for our upcoming HAL and Oceania cruises Celebrity lost out on not having a similar itinerary.

• Thanks 1

That's a fantastic review---What a pleasure that you shared this --

Excellent, concise, and to the point especially re your GD's lactose intolerance and the overall service provided throughout the cruise !! 

I would like to see more reviews like this instead of :

--No chocolate cake---I'm leaving Celebrity

--Will I hear noise if we're under the OVC, pool, theater or the upside down pineapple cabins ?

--If it's raining would you close the window, etc.etc.

-- And, my favorite---- Nope, better not go there " again" !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:She also brought afternoon cheese and shrimp platters for us without asking and a bowl of fresh berries for our GD.  Katarina also offered to bring drinks from the bar to our cabin, something we never did since we had wine to drink.

I searched high & low all week for berries at the OVC! They had plenty of other fruit but no berries! 😕

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

OK. I have to finally ask what upside down pineapples mean? 

Swingers.  Me, I think folks do it as more a joke these days on cruises...

Edited by PTC DAWG

45 minutes ago, iTownPrincess said:

I searched high & low all week for berries at the OVC! They had plenty of other fruit but no berries! 😕

Both room service and Luminae had strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. We never ate in the OVC so not sure about there.

34 minutes ago, Octavias said:

Wow!  Glad to hear they took such good care of your GD dietary needs.  Sounds like an amazing experience.  Gives me confidence that they will be able to handle all my allergies on the edge. 

Like I said they exceeded my expectations on food allergies, so you should be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  So happy you had a great cruise and your granddaughter got to enjoy the food.

I have been on Equinox 6 times and am gluten free.  I find the food experience hit or miss.  Any time I have asked ahead for something to be made gluten free they say no.  I have been glutened in Tuscan and luckily it was only a bite and I did not get sick.  

For our anniversary we were in the RS.  They brought us a cake in Luminae and another cake was in the room.  Both were not gluten free.  Several years ago they did make me a gluten free birthday cake so I know they can do it. 

we will be on Equinox in September and I will keep my fingers crossed I get your butler and Luminae server!  

4 hours ago, Octavias said:

Wow!  Glad to hear they took such good care of your GD dietary needs.  Sounds like an amazing experience.  Gives me confidence that they will be able to handle all my allergies on the edge. 

I'm allergic to dairy and have had a similar experience on every Celebrity cruise I've taken regardless of whether I'm in the MDR or Luminae.  This definitely is one area where Celebrity shines.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pinboy said:

That's a fantastic review---What a pleasure that you shared this --

Excellent, concise, and to the point especially re your GD's lactose intolerance and the overall service provided throughout the cruise !! 

I would like to see more reviews like this instead of :

--No chocolate cake---I'm leaving Celebrity

--Will I hear noise if we're under the OVC, pool, theater or the upside down pineapple cabins ?

--If it's raining would you close the window, etc.etc.

-- And, my favorite---- Nope, better not go there " again" !!

p - you always go there and I enjoy that you do!!! LOL

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iTownPrincess said:

Next sailing, if you do not see it out, ask and it is greatly possible that they will get some for you... especially in the MDR...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Thanks 1