Never seen so many unhappy people on RCCL Cruise - Anthem out of UK

42 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

There’s a lot of negativity about Independence probably coming back to Southampton.

They’ll put a spin on it….

“You said you wanted your favourite ship back… and we listened to you, our most valued British customers….”

16yr old Independence vs brand new MSC Euribia … no contest! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, little britain said:

They’ll put a spin on it….

“You said you wanted your favourite ship back… and we listened to you, our most valued British customers….”

16yr old Independence vs brand new MSC Euribia … no contest! 

That’s right.

Euribia will probably also have a better itinerary and half the price.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Well RCCL seems to be doing their best to upset the European market as best as they can. I had a pretty mediocre cruise which was made as good as can be by the fact that the staff were brilliant and the food edible in speciality (except rubbish Jamies Italian) 

Im convinced that underperforming ships are now sent to Southampton and other Euro ports as punishment for bad customer reviews. I was told that Anthem is the 3rd worst ranked ship in the whole fleet for customer satisfaction. This is both from the US market and the UK market so there is no better performance when they are being tipped better by the US customers. Your experience is clearly just as bad as ours even when you pay the 16 USD per day staff tax as well as extra on all of the services and drinks. 

It seems that nobody in the UK i met liked the Anthem or the Quantum class in general. Whilst its not my favourite ship i personally dont mind it but its got some stupid design choices and just isnt suitable for UK sailings. 

The biggest complaint was the sunbed situation. OMG this just ruined so many peoples holiday and its purely Royals fault. Never enough sunbeds and there is loads of space to put them in they just dont have them or have them in totally useless locations such as in the shade. Entire sections of deck had nothing in them which meant that people would just hog them all day for fear of losing a place to sit in the sun. Even the sky bar has space for about 50 high chairs or more but it seems like there is about 10-15 and a load of standing up space???? Only after a complaint did the staff start policing sunbed policy but this doesnt actually fix the problem it just means that you cannot leave to go lunch or anywhere because your bed will be gone. So people felt their experience was being ruled by having to keep the sunbed. So much of the top deck is now wasted by chargeable gimmicks such as Northstar, iFly, and the very poor deck design of quantum that there is just limited places to sit in the sun in general. This means that people are need the same space if the sun is shining in a particular direction or the wind is being a nightmare down the self generated wind tunnel that quantum has created with the annoyingly placed walking track. 

Second biggest complaint was the total lack of seating in most of the bars with the entertainment in them. The music hall isnt too bad but basically they had the same band on all week and with such a limited vocalist most of the songs were hard to listen to and the dancefloor was basically a play ground for children below school age. The chance of getting a seat in baleros was basically zero, same with scooner bar but vintages was fine but nothing happens in there anyway so its pointless. 270 was ok if you wanted to sit through Spectras show for the 10th time in your life and you wanted to have the view obscured by one of the most annoying locations for a giant glowing LED lamp you have ever seen. But basically if there was something on you didnt have a seat until it finished and then you sat in an empty location with nothing happening. 

Entertainment - i went on this ship 8 years ago at launch and im amazed to see Spectra 8 years older performing the same show 5 times per week as was the case at launch.... Seriously.... STILL? The only upside was the show is so forgettable that at least id forgotten most of it. The robot screens are just no longer very impressive though. Has We Will Rock you seriously been on this ship for the whole 8 years as well? Is there anyone on this forum NOT seen this show multiple times by now?  

Food - Windjammer seems to be vastly improved and service seemed excessive. Its gone from cant get a drink to they wont let you fetch your own coffee without catching you on the way to the self service coffee cart.... Not sure how i feel about it as it just seems like someone has dumped a load of staff here to 'improve service' but its basically service i dont need. If im fetching my own food i may as fetch my own juice. 

Speciality dining -

Jamies Italian  - Needs shutting down just like the bankrupt franchise that it was.

Chops Grill - Food generally good but stick cooking steaks in the oven which results in overcooked steaks 70% of the time. Order them rare and you get medium a lot of the time.

Izumi is the latest Royal scam introduced. price increased to 39.99 USD and you get 50% less sushi rolls now. So the fixed priced menu is now actually more expensive than if you ordered the same items a la carte. Yes you can now pay 40 USD for 30 USD of food. As we had UDP we didnt really care and the staff knew it was a scam and give us what ever we asked for anyway as they just wanted a good survey score and the food and service was always good. 

Wonderland - Same menu for 8 years running.... Food was ok, getting bored of same stuff though. Can they really not think of anything else to serve?

Pub food - Was good 8 years ago. Terrible now. wouldnt eat there again. 

Vintages - for some reason cant eat on UDP so dont know. 

Johnny Rockets - Nice burgers and fresh chips. Terrible chicken tenders which were also in Windjammer for free and Milkshakes are not great. Milk, icecream and Syrup = artificial high calorie synthetic tasting gloop. Is it really that hard to use some real strawberries instead of Hershey's Syrup? 

Chefs table - Probably the best bit was the wine. 2 of the 5 courses were from other restaurants. Fillet Steak from chops and the World Dessert from Wonderland we had the day before! Guess what.... they over cooked that steak as well. He marinated the steak in olive oil overnight.... lol.... for tenderness he said? Well im pretty sure that didnt do anything. After eating it i was sure it did nothing. Pretty lazy to serve 2 courses from other speciality dining restaurants. 

Staff told me it was good i wasnt on there a couple months ago as the complaints about the food were crazy bad. One 10 year veteran waiter told me that hes never seen the food so bad but a new set of chefs were sent on board to improve things. Thus proving things can always be worse. 

Royals Price hiking has found its limit -

UDP was cheaper on the week before we sailed resulting in 2 pages full of UDP guests on the Johny Rockets UDP list. Royal raised price by 50% on my sailing resulting in 18 guests with the UDP thats pretty poor and shows Royal dynamic prices has zero to do with sales its just a game the system plays to keep you guessing. The speciality dining was dead nearly all of the cruise. 20% of the tables full on any given night. Revenue must be tanking.

Drinks package - Never seen so few people with it. Everyone said 68 GBP pre cruise was a joke and 80GBP on the cruise even worse. Irony is that now i dont have the drinks package there seems plenty of waiters asking if i want a drink! The revenue must be down massively on this. 

Drink prices - Laughable. 68 USD per bottle for the cheapest sparking wine on the ship? With just one choice under 100USD? 15 USD for a cocktail now... 8.25 for a bottle of beer. 13 - 15 USD per glass of wine. I have never seen so few alcoholic drinks consumed on a cruise in my life. Probably helped by the fact nobody could sit at the outdoor bars to drink anyway as the few chairs were camped in all day by sunbathers not drinking.

Royals drinks package would have cost us 1630 GBP for 12 nights. That's over 2000 USD.  My bar bill was 200 USD by end of the cruise.  Well done Royal. Im sick and tired of drinkers subsidising the price of the cruise for none drinkers. Im not playing this game any more. Raise the cabin prices, remove the staff tax per day and price the drinks reasonably like MSC or P&O. This isnt the US market. You cannot get away with it here. I bet the revenue proves it. 

Diamond status - The ONLY reason id ever consider sailing with Royal now. 4 drinks per day each, free days wifi, Diamond Lounge with free Coffee and nice food and a relaxing place to sit and listen to people talk about how bad Royal has gotten it seems. 

16 USD per day Staff tax now includes only 1 room clean per day. Going Fleet wide!. 4 USD goes to Stateroom attendant they said. Stateroom guy told me he gets 3 USD per day. 5 USD is going to something called 'Hotel Services' What part of the ship deserves more than my room attendant who literally folded all my clothes every day i left out? The tumble drier? the washing machine? How much do i get for fetching my own towels every day from the ONE open towel station at the other end of the ship? 

I think now all my FCC are used up its time to explore other cruise lines and holidays and from the sounds of it other people will be doing the same going forward. 

Im sure the Royal fans will come down on the above but you got to remember that this isnt the US, this isnt the newest or best ship in the fleet and some of the above are common themes from many guests and it was YOU the US market which scored them down to the 3rd lowest score in the entire Royal Fleet! 

OP, I've read your post in its entirety.  After I take a good hot shower to wash off all the BITTERNESS, I will book therapy sessions for the entire Royal Corporate Staff to help them overcome the suicidal tendencies they may possess from working as such a worthless cruise line.  Then I'll send you cruise brochures for the other major lines, so you can work your magic there. 

Oh, and I'll include a copy of the bestseller "Fair & Balanced Reporting," since you seemed to have misplaced your copy.

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

OP, I've read your post in its entirety.  After I take a good hot shower to wash off all the BITTERNESS, I will book therapy sessions for the entire Royal Corporate Staff to help them overcome the suicidal tendencies they may possess from working as such a worthless cruise line.  Then I'll send you cruise brochures for the other major lines, so you can work your magic there. 

Its funny reading comments like these. Its the kind of reaction id expect if someone called someone elses baby ugly in their pram. 

It might be true but it still hurts when they hear it right?

• Like 1

Just now, Pandamonia said:

Its funny reading comments like these. Its the kind of reaction id expect if someone called someone elses baby ugly in their pram. 

It might be true but it still hurts when they hear it right?

I would NEVER call you nor your baby ugly... 

... just your comments.  I don't know you personally, however your words are received in a way that implies nothing was right and your cruise was an overwhelmingly unpleasant experience.  

You did touch on some issues that have been discussed here and that I am in agreement with you-- such as the housekeeping service cuts without a cut to the gratuity, even if it was small gesture of good will.

While I am no cheerleader for Royal, to use your analogy, for some, you just called their baby HIDEOUS. 

It reminds me of the time a few years ago at a community breakfast table, sitting across from a woman and her husband.  Two staff members had to come take her precise order for how she wanted her hot tea.  Every comment she added to our conversation was some negative element about her cruise experiences, which were many.  I happened to be walking behind the couple as we left the dining room and heard her punctuate the whole experience by stating:  "Watch!  The steward probably won't have cleaned our room yet."  I really wanted to catch her attention:  "Excuse me, can I just ask... WHY do you put yourself through the repeated dissatisfaction of cruising that I learned all about with your complaints for the past hour?  Why not stay home?"  I didn't.  And she's probably living in her misery.

As for your experience and dissatisfaction...  I am not going to argue against it, because it has merit.  I do believe we are approaching that "Tipping Point" were customers will revolt and find alternative vacation holidays as they realize there's better value elsewhere.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

Because of their size, O-class are limited in the ports they can visit. They’re too big for Greece or the Adriatic so they’re pretty much limited to the western Med circuit.

It more lack of interest by RC, than lack of choice. On the TA next year Oasis stops at Malaga, Alicante and Valencia. Any or all of those would be a very welcome alternative to the standard ports on a the routine 7 night itinerary. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I don’t necessarily agree with everything the op has posted but I can’t understand why people on CC are:

1. Dismissing the comments out of hand 

and 

2. In a mad rush to defend RC when everyone knows they’re cutting service and increasing costs. 

You must be new here🤣

• Haha 10

Aloha. Sailed Anthem and had mixed feelings.  Having sailed since 1971 cruising has definitely changed. Unfortunately there are enough newbies to continue to allow the ships to sail over 100%.  The nickel and diming is rampant. It is sad but I no longer have my cruise addiction having been blessed to see the world but as I get older have had my fill of monster ships, service cuts, unruly passengers, etc etc,  That said, I am sailing on the higher end lines with smaller ships albeit also with service cuts and noticeably reduced luxury.  It is the way of the world.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I would NEVER call you nor your baby ugly... 

... just your comments.  I don't know you personally, however your words are received in a way that implies nothing was right and your cruise was an overwhelmingly unpleasant experience.  

You did touch on some issues that have been discussed here and that I am in agreement with you-- such as the housekeeping service cuts without a cut to the gratuity, even if it was small gesture of good will.

While I am no cheerleader for Royal, to use your analogy, for some, you just called their baby HIDEOUS. 

It reminds me of the time a few years ago at a community breakfast table, sitting across from a woman and her husband.  Two staff members had to come take her precise order for how she wanted her hot tea.  Every comment she added to our conversation was some negative element about her cruise experiences, which were many.  I happened to be walking behind the couple as we left the dining room and heard her punctuate the whole experience by stating:  "Watch!  The steward probably won't have cleaned our room yet."  I really wanted to catch her attention:  "Excuse me, can I just ask... WHY do you put yourself through the repeated dissatisfaction of cruising that I learned all about with your complaints for the past hour?  Why not stay home?"  I didn't.  And she's probably living in her misery.

As for your experience and dissatisfaction...  I am not going to argue against it, because it has merit.  I do believe we are approaching that "Tipping Point" were customers will revolt and find alternative vacation holidays as they realize there's better value elsewhere.  

Was the sun out? - Yes 

Was the (over priced) booze wet and got me drunk? - Yes

Did the (overcooked) Steak covered in red wine sauce taste ok?  - Yes

Was some of the entertainment fun to watch?  - Yes

I can get the above for 50% of the price and have just as much fun without paying Royals prices or their 18% staff tax subsidy. 

When i starting sailing Royal 9 years ago it was because it was supposed to be more upmarket than P&O or MSC and younger crowd than most cruise lines. As far as i can remember it was both and it was also fairly priced with $30 drinks packages and $20 to eat in chops. 

We are at the stage now where Royal is cutting Sushi Rolls in half to cut costs..... Yes some rice and a few prawns in speciality with 5 tables out of 30 occupied needs to cut the portions in half whilst increasing the set menu to 40 USD.... Yet in the WindJammer you can load up 5 plates of food and leave them all on the table to go cold....

Explain me the logic and why people who pay for the upgrades should get worse things for more money. 

2 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Was the sun out? - Yes 

Was the (over priced) booze wet and got me drunk? - Yes

Did the (overcooked) Steak covered in red wine sauce taste ok?  - Yes

Was some of the entertainment fun to watch?  - Yes

I can get the above for 50% of the price and have just as much fun without paying Royals prices or their 18% staff tax subsidy. 

When i starting sailing Royal 9 years ago it was because it was supposed to be more upmarket than P&O or MSC and younger crowd than most cruise lines. As far as i can remember it was both and it was also fairly priced with $30 drinks packages and $20 to eat in chops. 

We are at the stage now where Royal is cutting Sushi Rolls in half to cut costs..... Yes some rice and a few prawns in speciality with 5 tables out of 30 occupied needs to cut the portions in half whilst increasing the set menu to 40 USD.... Yet in the WindJammer you can load up 5 plates of food and leave them all on the table to go cold....

Explain me the logic and why people who pay for the upgrades should get worse things for more money. 

As long as your "OK" to the overcooked steak was relative, I'll agree.  Personally I've given up on Chops.  I remember dinners in Crown Grill on Princess where you couldn't hold a conversation over the sizzle of steaks on the grill or see your dinner guests through the haze of smoke across the table.  THOSE were delicious steaks grilled precisely to  order!  In Chops, I'm pretty sure the steaks are seared downstairs hours before service.  I've been seated my very last two visits facing the show kitchen, and I watched the "cook" use tongs to place a pre-cooked steak on a half sheet pan, brush it with liquid and place it under the broiler to warm up.  I could not observe anything red in the broil that would possibly be a heating element hot enough to cook a steak.

YES, in the WJ Food Trough guest may pile on as much as they want.  But there's plenty of inexpensive starches that dominate with very few high ticket items.  UPD is the price you pay for the privilege of eating mostly decent food, albeit in smaller quantities.

An how you open your post, with the YES's if funny.

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm still convinced rcl cruisers love complaining more than other lines. They really enjoy complaining

I dare say said complaining extends to many Celebrity cruisers as well. Likely they came from RCL but at least they’re keeping it in the family. 🤣

24 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

As long as your "OK" to the overcooked steak was relative, I'll agree.  Personally I've given up on Chops.  I remember dinners in Crown Grill on Princess where you couldn't hold a conversation over the sizzle of steaks on the grill or see your dinner guests through the haze of smoke across the table.  THOSE were delicious steaks grilled precisely to  order!  In Chops, I'm pretty sure the steaks are seared downstairs hours before service.  I've been seated my very last two visits facing the show kitchen, and I watched the "cook" use tongs to place a pre-cooked steak on a half sheet pan, brush it with liquid and place it under the broiler to warm up.  I could not observe anything red in the broil that would possibly be a heating element hot enough to cook a steak.

YES, in the WJ Food Trough guest may pile on as much as they want.  But there's plenty of inexpensive starches that dominate with very few high ticket items.  UPD is the price you pay for the privilege of eating mostly decent food, albeit in smaller quantities.

The steaks are cooked in the oven. MKN branded German steam ovens and they are finished on the grill for effect. This is why the meat is overcooked and lacks flavour much of the time. Its technically called reverse searing but its not because they hold the steaks for hours in the wet oven which robs them of the flavour and they keep cooking slowly. My problem with this is the 130USD charge for 2 people to eat it. 

Someone at Royal thinks this is OK but the restaurants were mostly empty so people are voting with their wallets in Europe. Im not convinced the US market is so fussy though... 

Edited by Pandamonia

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Because they keep accepting it and RCI is glad to take their money.

35% of their revenue comes from on board spending. Average spend per passenger is around 1600 USD per person. So thats only 560 USD per person. 

Between the drinks, wifi, excursions, casino etc it doesnt seem to me like most Royal cruisers spend much over the cruise fare. 

Id argue that a small percentage props that average up considerably and the real average per person spend is 30-40 USD per day or possibly less. 

These policies seem to impact only the people who do spend much more on extras than the typical person who eats in the Windjammer 3 meals a day and has one or two beers on an evening. 

Im a perfect example of this. Until this year i had Deluxe drinks, UDP, Wifi  and i used to go casino too. Last cruise i went UDP and 50 USD of Wifi only. No deluxe drinks and didnt step foot inside the casino. We even refused the 20 USD charge for the shuttle busses opting to walk instead. 

All speciality was 80% empty, even excursions had availability the day before. I only met one person with drinks package and only 18 people bought the UDP. 

46 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I’ve read that steaks on cruise ships are sous vide and then seared, we do this at home and it works well, hard to overcook steaks using this method.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

It more lack of interest by RC, than lack of choice. On the TA next year Oasis stops at Malaga, Alicante and Valencia. Any or all of those would be a very welcome alternative to the standard ports on a the routine 7 night itinerary. 

I agree. But given that a Civitavecchia stop is non-negotiable because Rome is the big draw on that circuit for most Americans, I suspect Royal would consider those ports would add too much mileage for too little gain.

16 hours ago, sgmn said:

I see Southampton in your future !!, July 2024 to be exact.  Looking forward to hopefully meeting you and @island ladyon that leg .

And yes there are trains from London to Amsterdam as far as i know

I will be there in October of this year....Viking.  😉 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve read that steaks on cruise ships are sous vide and then seared, we do this at home and it works well, hard to overcook steaks using this method.

I wish they were. They are not. Im 100% sure as i used to work with MKN who make the ovens and ive done the tour of the kitchens and seen them in action. 

They are cooked in the oven and finished on grill but they can be held in the oven for many hours. The steam inside the oven stops them drying out but they do slowly continue cooking and also if they are not all same density and size some cook more than others and ones near the fan also cook more. 

• Like 1

I understand the issue with rising costs for specialty and beverage packages, just as they are for CocoCay purchases.  Disliking the price of items doesn't make the cruise terrible.   

The problem here is that other people are willing to pay the price.    These prices are what the market will bear.   

Specialy dining stopped being a value for me when Chops went above $29.95 USD back in 2018.  So I stopped buying it every cruise.  Once I reached D+ the BOGO brought it within reach again.   Then as prices went up over time Chops once again left my value zone.   Despite that I still have great cruises.   

CocoCay has what I consider outrageous prices, but a lot of people are willing to pay those prices.   I still love CocoCay.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I understand the issue with rising costs for specialty and beverage packages, just as they are for CocoCay purchases.  Disliking the price of items doesn't make the cruise terrible.   

The problem here is that other people are willing to pay the price.    These prices are what the market will bear.   

Specialy dining stopped being a value for me when Chops went above $29.95 USD back in 2018.  So I stopped buying it every cruise.  Once I reached D+ the BOGO brought it within reach again.   Then as prices went up over time Chops once again left my value zone.   Despite that I still have great cruises.   

CocoCay has what I consider outrageous prices, but a lot of people are willing to pay those prices.   I still love CocoCay.  

I didnt have a bad cruise i said it was OK.

Royal had very little to do with the fun i had. They mostly just spoil the fun with their incessant upselling and grifting. For example a new one for me was being photographed in Chops and then having him print the photo and asking for 30 USD in front of other diners in this weird pressure selling situation. 

What i really love is being pressure sold whilst im paying a surcharge to eat in speciality dining. I dont know why Royal doesnt just hire the lucky lucky men from the port to come on board with their fake watches and handbags to harass the guests whilst they are eating. 

Anthem is a weird ship and experience. You can literally sit looking at vintage LV or Chanel handbags costing 5000+ USD whilst they serve you some nachos covered in cheese that came out of a squirty bottle for 4$.... 

10 foot apart you have REAL Chanel and FAKE Cheese! 

Couldn't make it up.

• Haha 2

When I first began reading your review, I thought, "oh boy, here we go" but as I read on, I couldn't agree more! You pointed out things I forgot to talk about on my review. Bravo on the sunbeds bit, I thought people must have been spending the night up there just to save suntan beds!

The seating arrangements in the bars, agree! Jamie's, we found it to be very good, Chops, not so much. We were on the June 4th sailing. We found that the British clientele were far better and friendlier to sail with than the usual American lot, much more friendly, down to earth people, we made a lot of UK friends onboard, and we are definitely using Southampton as a choice departing port because we found it so much more easier and the terminal staff were absolutely wonderful and well organized MUCH MORE than Cape Liberty in NJ.

VERY WELL done and accurate review here. Never mind the naysayers! Who knows, we may have met on Anthem? We were Jen and John! 

• Like 1

We've probably been on the Anthem at least 20 times since she's been sailing from NJ. And have 4 more planned before she leaves. We also sail on Carnival and NCL. No complaints on the product. We just love Capt Ban. If you don't, sail on another line. The choice is yours. As far as I know , no one is twisting your arms to sail on Royal.

• Like 1