What do you like about Oceania?

CHEZMARYLOU

I never, after 25 Celebrity cruises, though I would be posting this.  What do you like about Oceania? What sets it apart? Can you compare it to other lines, especially Celebrity. If you were jumping ship why would it be to Oceania? Anything else you can share for someone very disappointed in her favorite cruise line?

• Like 5

Mary Lou,

You have opened the flood gates 🤪👍. This board is full of celebrity escapees, from 50 X cruises on down and they are fleeing in droves. We moved on after just one Aqua Class cruise when it was first introduced. After we had sailed on Oceania 16 years ago, we could not be tempted to go back to X. We better fit the Oceania demographic and I could NEVER, yes Never get my DW on a ship larger than an O Class or Allura Class ship, 1200 MAX. 
Since my experience is far too long ago to be relevant to Post Covid today, you will hear more current experiences and opinions real soon.  
Find an itinerary on one of the Oceania Special sales currently offered thru 6/30, especially on Vista or Riviera or Marina, Book it and sail and JUST 😊 ENJOY.

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

"This board is full of celebrity escapees."

Given the sentiments expressed regarding the upcoming "inclusions" and the presumed-but-unknown price increase, this board may be full of Oceania escapees, too.

🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Possible but not likely. I see price increases implemented by every line, they have to survive and their debt load is significant. IMHO, you won’t see major price increases nor gut wrenching cut backs. You will see increases but you will also see More and then everyone can evaluate the changes and make their own decisions. Oceania is not going to regain profitability by driving their loyal cruisers away, much less alienate potential new cruisers. They learn from one another’s mistakes and based on my 7 cruises sailed since the Covid crisis, we were inundated with 40-50% new to Oceania guests and they were from HAL, Princess, Celebrity and even Viking. 
Come the  July implementation of the changes, and the upcoming releases of new itineraries for Allura and 2025/6 in the Fall, we will see the effects of these new programs. JMHO, no crystal ball here, just my WAG.

Enjoy and X cruisers, take the plunge and decide for yourselves. 
Mauibabes

I've never been on anything BUT Oceania and I'll tell you what I love. The peace. Not crowded. Not gaudy. Not noisy. Can find an empty space easily. Great food. Everything included except alcohol, except for a couple of REALLY special dinners. Cabins nicely furnished with real furniture, not built in. Wonderful dress code. Few kids. Great ports. Great perks. Lovely passengers (mostly). No silliness.

Finally sailing O again for the first time since 2019, in LESS THAN 3 MONTHS!

• Like 12

@tropicalkerry2002

Yes, there is something to be said for finding your niche and being comfortable in your own skin, so to speak. Major Ditto to all you shared. We drug all our Princess friends over to O and occasionally they will go test the waters elsewhere and then come running back. We truly enjoy all that goes into being with our O family. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

I am a Zenith on Celebrity with over 100 cruises and decided to try other lines like Crystal, Viking and Oceania because of cutbacks to Celebrity's loyalty program and the increase of price. I have one Celebrity cruise scheduled in October ands one Oceania cruise scheduled in November. I need to see the impact of the SimplyMore program . As others have said, the debt service for cruise lines needs to be reduced if they have any hope of survival. The easiest way to do this is the increase prices and reduce benefits. This will most certainly drive away some cruisers that have been loyal. To answer the question posed by the OP: I can see some areas where, IMO Celebrity excels and some areas where Oceania is superior. Celebrity based of my experience is superior in the entertainment, specialty restaurants, especially Tuscan Grille and Murano's and the passenger friendly officers. I give the edge to Oceania in the meals in the MDR, design to the ships and the lack of rudeness of the passengers. The sound levels of the music are not to loud or annoying on Oceania. I have not experienced the E Class on Celebrity since I like real balconies and found that I really enjoy the friendliness of the smaller ships.

• Like 2

CHEZMARYLOU,

We have sailed with you many moons ago. We remember Celebrity when it was a stellar cruise line. We have one more booked and that's it.

You are probably itinerary driven by now just as we are. We no longer want large ships. We no longer want culinary cutbacks and service charges that used to be covered under our fare.

There is a sense of calm when we board O. 

There are some unique itineraries. There are also longer sailings with the options for world cruising.

What you might miss on O are the everpresence of the officers. There is no Captain Kate in the fleet! 

The R ships present a few issues especially the bathrooms in every class except the suites. But the same can be said about Azamara and we sail them too.

When the new pricing structure is revealed next month we too will evaluate our O plans as others have mentioned.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

CHEZMARYLOU,

We have sailed with you many moons ago. We remember Celebrity when it was a stellar cruise line. We have one more booked and that's it.

You are probably itinerary driven by now just as we are. We no longer want large ships. We no longer want culinary cutbacks and service charges that used to be covered under our fare.

There is a sense of calm when we board O. 

There are some unique itineraries. There are also longer sailings with the options for world cruising.

What you might miss on O are the everpresence of the officers. There is no Captain Kate in the fleet! 

The R ships present a few issues especially the bathrooms in every class except the suites. But the same can be said about Azamara and we sail them too.

When the new pricing structure is revealed next month we too will evaluate our O plans as others have mentioned.

since the R ships are all the same in design (used to be Renaissance Cruises) no wonder Azamara and Oceania share the "bathroom" problems on those ships!!

New pricing structure could be wonderful.  We will find out.  However I have a suspicion that it is the first step in making Oceania "all inclusive" and the next step once that is done is to merge Oceania and Regent.  I don't have a problem with this...I have sailed both.  And since the license on the Regent name must be coming to an end one of these days it would make sense...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I never, after 25 Celebrity cruises, though I would be posting this.  What do you like about Oceania? What sets it apart? Can you compare it to other lines, especially Celebrity. If you were jumping ship why would it be to Oceania? Anything else you can share for someone very disappointed in her favorite cruise line?

We are Elite plus with Celebrity and have travelled mostly with them over the last 15 years. On our first Oceania cruise at the moment, food, ambience and service have so far been wonderful (on our 3rd day) said to my hubby it’s like Celebrity was when we first started cruising with them.But there are a few minor cons for us, the bathroom especially the shower is tiny and the music around the ship is a bit old fashioned.But will probably book with them again.Next cruises are in September on Reflection so will be interesting to see if we book Celebrity again for next year! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity jumper here. 

I like that O treats you like a grown up, there is no nickel and diming, it’s calm, peaceful and the service is great. Treat the staff as you would wish to be treated and for the most part the service is a world away. The food is honestly so far above Celebrity you will be amazed - even on the infrequent misses. 

If you are ready for chilled, smaller ship relaxation, you are ready for O

• Like 4

12 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Everything included except alcohol, except for a couple of REALLY special dinners.

For newcomers, it's probably wise to be clear that gratuities on O are not included, and neither are shore excursions (the latter a plus for many).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

since the R ships are all the same in design (used to be Renaissance Cruises) no wonder Azamara and Oceania share the "bathroom" problems on those ships!!

New pricing structure could be wonderful.  We will find out.  However I have a suspicion that it is the first step in making Oceania "all inclusive" and the next step once that is done is to merge Oceania and Regent.  I don't have a problem with this...I have sailed both.  And since the license on the Regent name must be coming to an end one of these days it would make sense...

We love Regent and have sailed on her three times ( Explorer and Splendor). We are thinking about trying Oceania in the PH 1 category on a Panama cruise. Not sure if it might be a good fit or might we be disappointed.We would love your thoughts since you have done both Regent and Oceania.

After 10 nights each on Riviera (12/2021, A4 cabin) and Sirena (11/2022, B2 cabin), wife and I enjoy being treated like adults who can, if we want (and we do!), do it as DIY. We book our own airfare, our own excursions, and bring out own alcohol on board (at embarkation and at ports). Of course, we love the food, the passengers, the cabins, and the crew. We're rather informal, never eating at the GDR, but prefering the Terrace Cafe under the stars for dinner. And we're all about itineraries and excursions. We don't cruise for sea days or nightly entertainment. We can't wait for our 20 nights on Riviera later this year with 10 more on Sirena later in 2024!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For newcomers, it's probably wise to be clear that gratuities on O are not included, and neither are shore excursions (the latter a plus for many).

In Australia - our Gratuities are included in our fare.  I suspect other countries also include this. I am surprised if you are saying the US doesn't.

Edited by jakes47
edit

We did 3 Celebrity cruises prior to our first O cruise.  While Celebrity didn't necessarily lose us (this was "pre-Covid"), we decided to try something different.  We just loved the size of the Riviera (O-class), food/dining variety, all included specialty dining, fellow passengers, and generally less crowded feel.  Our next cruise is on the Vista in January 2024.  

As an aside, we were on a December 2022 HAL cruise (Mexican Riviera) on the beautiful Koningsdam. We only did this sailing because we were with about 10 other friends, and they selected this cruise.  However, it was definitely much larger, and we were constantly comparing to our Oceania cruise.  Love Oceania!

Edited by DENIE
Clarity
  • Like 1

Ours definitely states gratuities included in our fare and we have never had it placed on our onboard account.  I think it must be different rules for other countries.  

Just noted that the OP is from US so my comment is completely irrelevant - Sorry 🤐

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jakes47 said:

Ours definitely states gratuities included in our fare and we have never had it placed on our onboard account.  I think it must be different rules for other countries.  

Just noted that the OP is from US so my comment is completely irrelevant - Sorry 🤐

It is called "Regional differences"