Would you cruise the Caribbean in August?

emeraldaine

This year we are looking for a vacation in August; would a Caribbean cruise be a bad idea? I realize it will be hurricane season, but from what I understand, there's enough advance warning for cruise lines to detour/change itineraries. Also I'm wondering How hot/humid will it be?

We've been on a few Caribbean cruises in December/January but not during the summer, so I'm looking for some advice from people who have done it and recommend, or have done it and regret it!

Hurricanes require warm air and ocean water to form and gain strength. Warm air and warm ocean water usually equals humidity.  That should tell you about the weather, but Google searches for weather in a couple of possible ports would back that with data.

Totally agree with @Ashland. Weather is usually way down the priority list when we plan our vacations. Yes, in the winter, some place warm is usually a goal, but otherwise,  low priority. 

11 hours ago, emeraldaine said:

This year we are looking for a vacation in August; would a Caribbean cruise be a bad idea? I realize it will be hurricane season, but from what I understand, there's enough advance warning for cruise lines to detour/change itineraries. Also I'm wondering How hot/humid will it be?

We've been on a few Caribbean cruises in December/January but not during the summer, so I'm looking for some advice from people who have done it and recommend, or have done it and regret it!

I've cruised in the Caribbean in every month but July and August.  Weather is part of the reason why - not just hurricanes, but the area can be quite warm and humid (IMHO) and I generally prefer vacationing in better weather during that time (like here!).  Other reasons:

• The ships are slightly busier on average during this time due to limits on vacation time that some people have
  • I have found the prices tend to be higher than during other months
  • There's limited availability of cruise lines as many of them flee elsewhere during the summer
  • It's a slow season for the music charter cruises that I find I'm favoring these days
  • August is a difficult month to get away for work reasons

Never say never, but I don't see cruising in either July or August any time soon.  Too many better options.  Your mileage may vary.

As others have noted, your climate/humidity preference is a key factor in your itinerary choice.  I love the Caribbean weather and warm waters year-round so I'm definitely biased. The bigger issue is how weather may impact your travel plans to the port city.  Would you be flying or driving?  If flying, I suggest you plan to arrive at least the day prior to sailing to give yourself a travel buffer for flight delays and cancelations.  Also purchase travel insurance.

• Like 1

And maybe expect that your itinerary could be impacted  by a hurricane, and your trip may  turn into a bit of a mystery cruise if you are very unlucky.

Would advise that you maybe don't book and pay for anything such as a tour or car rental unless you are guaranteed a full refund in the event of cancellation which could be fairly last minute. Definitely read anyT's and C's very carefully.

• Like 1

Caribbean weather doesn’t change that much  , I have cruised in august a few times , but we like cruising while school is in to reduce the amount of children on cruise, also possible hurricanes which could cause a change in ports.

• Like 2

I might.  The Caribbean in August is downright balmy compared to here in AZ in August.  Or July.  Or June.  As I post at 11 AM it is 103*, headed to a high of 111*.  For the next 14 days, as far ahead as my app goes, the forecasted high is 108 or higher every day.  Thank goodness for AC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I might.  The Caribbean in August is downright balmy compared to here in AZ in August.  Or July.  Or June.  As I post at 11 AM it is 103*, headed to a high of 111*.  For the next 14 days, as far ahead as my app goes, the forecasted high is 108 or higher every day.  Thank goodness for AC.

But what is the humidity? It is 103 where I am at now with some humidity. Probably lower humidity and heat factor where you are. The Caribbean can have really high humidity in August so a lower temp but higher heat factor. 

Well, if DW is a teacher, you are left with the Summer as the time to cruise. Though actually we cruised in Europe more often than the Caribbean. And as a matter of fact. both Italy and Turkey are way up there for heat and humidity during August.

54 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Well, if DW is a teacher, you are left with the Summer as the time to cruise. Though actually we cruised in Europe more often than the Caribbean. And as a matter of fact. both Italy and Turkey are way up there for heat and humidity during August.

Good time to do a Norway cruise or the British Isles. Alaska would be my North America choice. We have done Alaska in  August. My favorite August vacations was a land vacation. Iceland,

On 6/24/2023 at 7:55 AM, Ashland said:

We base our cruises on many factors but possible weather isn't one of them.

Possible but not likely weather, maybe not - but likely or standard weather in the place is a big factor in when I go where - and some places  I wouldnt go at all - for me, for example, super cold places like Alaska or the Antarctic

Humidity and heat I can cope with.

YMMV

• Like 1

Ok

it was an example off top of my head, isnt somewhere  I have looked into going

There are people n Australia who cruise to Antartica  - perhaps that is better example of , for me, where not to go because of weather.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

But what is the humidity? It is 103 where I am at now with some humidity. Probably lower humidity and heat factor where you are. The Caribbean can have really high humidity in August so a lower temp but higher heat factor. 

Humidity is probably quite a bit less, but we have a very wet monsoon season where we have significant humidity.  But we also have 4 months with average highs of over 100, where the average highs in the hottest parts of the Caribbean are around 90.  

Overall I'm sure that the Caribbean is less comfortable because of the humidity.  But I'm familiar with the discomforts of humidity, as I grew up in NYC and once spent 6 weeks in Beaumont TX in July.  But I'm also familiar with the negative effects of ultralow humidity, like the 17% we get in June ("but it's a dry heat" is generally said sarcastically).  So my point was that I'm familiar with the extremes of both temperature and humidity, so I wouldn't be daunted by August in the Caribbean.