Utopia of the Seas Short Cruises??

Why would RCL build a behemoth ship and only sail her on 3/4 night cruises??  Seriously ...you won't be able to enjoy the ship nor experience all its amenities and areas.

Edited by lcpagejr
typo
  • Like 3

I asked a similar question a few days ago and got a great answer from a regular cruiser. I didn't realize that this has been discussed at length in the thread titled "Utopia of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!". You might enjoy reading it. It seems like a lot of people are booking b2b sailings. That sounds like a good option to see the ship.

• Like 1

Most first-time cruisers pick short cruises because they're not sure if they'll like cruising. The first time cruise market is the largest market in the cruise industry and Royal Caribbean wants to Wow new guests with a top of the line ship busting with bells and whistles. 

Jonathan

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

Most first-time cruisers pick short cruises because they're not sure if they'll like cruising. The first time cruise market is the largest market in the cruise industry and Royal Caribbean wants to Wow new guests with a top of the line ship busting with bells and whistles. 

Jonathan

Yes family with children will book multiple cruises it cheaper them a stay at Disney world a big $$$ win for RCCL🤑

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

I asked a similar question a few days ago and got a great answer from a regular cruiser. I didn't realize that this has been discussed at length in the thread titled "Utopia of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!". You might enjoy reading it. It seems like a lot of people are booking b2b sailings. That sounds like a good option to see the ship.

Thank you...I will definitely read!

3 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

Yeah.. but a b2b which visits Nassau 2x and Coco Cay 2x ....does not interest me. This could become Carnivals version of the short party cruises only with lots of kids!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Why would RCL build a behemoth ship and only sail her on 3/4 night cruises?

Like most RCI decisions, it’s all about the $ - they think that is the most profitable way to use her. 

• Like 1

Fresh wallets every 4th or 5th day.

Alternative to Disney right in their backyard.

Soon, their new Nassau offering will be available.

Not a fuel draining itinerary. (Compared to sailing from Cape Liberty doing the same ports)

Very smart move.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, this is financially driven, no question. I think the most interesting dynamic will be around pricing, whereby, people will see prices that are roughly on-par or slightly less than most 7 day cruises and think, "That's not a bad price," and will not realize they're actually paying more for less.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

It seems like a lot of people are booking b2b sailings. That sounds like a good option to see the ship.

Did a mock booking for a B2B on Utopia, and the cost for a basic balcony cabin was higher than the cost of a 7-night cruise on her sister ship Wonder in the same cabin leaving the previous day.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually the wonder 7 day, one day off, then 4 day utopia. .. wonder costs more per day, not ,ess.

Everyone assumes it's more..  not for bella2 ...plus utopia .. utopia is the better value per day. 

You are correct. We booked two BTB  on Utopia  for Sept 13th and 2 more BTB on the Utopia  for  Jan 6 and price for Wonder one day later in Jan was over $ 900.00 more for the same  cabin. Also the 3 & 4 day on Oaisis class  starts in Oct out of Canaveral on the Allure. They will have The Utopia  to coordinate with the Nassau beach club later in 2025.We booked the four  on pre opening day  for C&A and on the 23rd price dropped on two so got 426.00 price adjustment the next day.

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Did a mock booking for a B2B on Utopia, and the cost for a basic balcony cabin was higher than the cost of a 7-night cruise on her sister ship Wonder in the same cabin leaving the previous day.

Not too surprising. We can only sail during certain times of year mostly due to my wife being a teacher so we were doing comparisons like that.

I wanted to go on the Utopia inaugural and the 2nd sailing for a B2B but the cost was almost double what my TA could get for 7 nights on Wonder in July. I was willing to pay a little extra but not double.

I had him price other dates that worked for us and the prices for our spring break 2024 were pretty close after group rates and OBC so we'll likely do a B2B on Utopia in March, 2025 and just sail Wonder until then.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The 3-4 day market is not just a bunch of first time cruisers. There are plenty of regular and seasoned cruisers just taking the long weekend approach to vacations.

Or do a B2B just to enjoy the ship and CocoCay.

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

wonder costs more per day, not less

This will of course vary by date, when you booked, what deal you got from your TA, etc.

I saw better per day prices on Utopia for off-season, we just aren't able to take advantage of them unfortunately.

57 minutes ago, orville99 said:

My cost for boardwalk balcony on utopia for Feb 2025, our S2S is quite a bit less per day than wonder. Just the opposite. 

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Fresh wallets every 4th or 5th day.

Alternative to Disney right in their backyard.

Soon, their new Nassau offering will be available.

Not a fuel draining itinerary. (Compared to sailing from Cape Liberty doing the same ports)

Very smart move.

Great fuel savings compared to a full eastern or western sailings as well. 

They should have you on board as an educational host to provide information on CoCo Cay. 

• Thanks 1