Independent excursions

7 hours ago, Cruisingrampy said:

do ypu always go .through the cruisline

It depends on the port location and ease of accessing the location(s) we want to visit.  

We only do a shorex when the destnation is further from the port and outside our DIY comfort zone, or if the journey would be too challenging to DIY by taxi or public transport. To a cetain extent it also depends on which region of the world you are sailing as in some, it is recommended that shorex, taxi or private tours are recommended. 

It is personal choice.  If you are happy to pay $ssss for shorex in every port and be part of a 50 strong group at all times then go for it. 

If you would rather shorex in some ports and DIY or private tour  in easier ones, you need to do your research/homework before you leave home so that when you leave the ship you know where you are going and how to get there.  With much info easily found it isn't difficult to do, you only need time.

Which part of the world will you be sailing?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 4

Generally, my first choice is neither ship excursions nor private tours. I like to do my own sightseeing independently using public transportation where needed.

When that isn't possible, I will look at private tours as I often have specific tastes that are not catered to by the regular shore excursions offered.

My last resort is to take an excursion through the ship.

• Like 3

Its frustrating... Princess ship holds 3,500. The best excursions go fast. How many are actually offered? Not enough, booking on you own thru Viator, Tripadvisor, Get your guide, takes hours and days of research. To coordinate the ships time in port, where the tour starts and how to get there and back in enough time has been a major pain for us the last few months when almost all excursions were not avsailable. 

I enjoy the research and planning, but there are instances when I want a ship's tour and am willing to put up with the minor drawbacks.  If it's a tender port, I want an early morning ship's ShoreX.  I'm allergic to worrying, so want a ship's tour in the afternoon so I don't miss the sailaway. 

One thing I don't have experience with is booking through a broker like Viator.  Are they reliable?  Is it helpful to be able to reach them with a problem if you can't reach the tour operator?   Or do they just get in the way?  Seems that Viator would be super-easy to book everything ... but online booking services always concern me.  Interested to hear advice and opinions.

We've done private tours about 95% of the time.  Initially, when we first started cruising and used the excursion desk, we found that there were just too many people on the busses and too much time was spent getting on and off.  On top of that, you OFTEN wait for the slowest passenger.  We have found that the small intimate excursions get you into the nooks and crannies and off the beaten path where the LOCALS go and we hire a LOCAL guide and putting money directly into the LOCAL economy.  I would say a very high percentage of the time when we have booked with other passengers into a small tour, we have been satisfied.  I will say on our last cruise, we had an amazing local guide and you could tell she was proud of her country and knew the history.  On a different island, we had a guy who was more concerned about arranging his next day passengers and did very little talking.  But, in the end, we saw many things and still paid 1/2 what the ship was charging.  Now, saying all of this, if time is tight, and say a tour only starts in the afternoon and we have an afternoon all aboard, that is when I would consider a ship excursion.  Finally, keep in mind that when researching excursions locally, particular names come up over and over who have great reputations.  If they did NOT get passengers back to the ship, they would not have a good reputation, and I'm sure they don't want to risk their business over it.  Hope this helps.  

@Cruisingrampy I tend to do third ship's ShoreXs, third private (booked on our own), and third no-tour, just walk around. The ship's tours that "win" are to attractions that are distant, OR where they include two or more activities -- like penguin colony with a sheep-ranch lunch and show in Chile, or Otters+Eagles+Bears in Alaska. 

It depends on location, however we don't do many of the ship tours. Sometimes it's private tours put together on Roll Call, or we just do our own thing, I also have booked with Tours By Locals in many parts of the world. We have never had a bad experience with TBL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KameaB said:

... booking on you own thru Viator, Tripadvisor, Get your guide, takes hours and days of research. To coordinate the ships time in port, where the tour starts and how to get there and back in enough time has been a major pain for us the last few months when almost all excursions were not avsailable. 

Yes, if you're going to book an independent excursion, you have to do your homework -- but hours and days of research is an exaggeration.  Major pain is also an exaggeration.  

Use Google to find out what experiences are popular at your island stops.  Google again to see what tour guides off the experiences that appeal to you.  Read reviews on Cruise Critic and other websites.  Book the one you like.  

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I enjoy the research and planning, but there are instances when I want a ship's tour and am willing to put up with the minor drawbacks.  If it's a tender port, I want an early morning ship's ShoreX.  I'm allergic to worrying, so want a ship's tour in the afternoon so I don't miss the sailaway. 

I agree that occasionally the ship's tour is worthwhile -- tendering is one example, but tendering is becoming less and less common.  Other reasons to consider ship's excursions:  longer distances from the port and multiple means of transportation when you don't speak the language.  

I am incredibly stress-free (largely because I prepare well), and I don't worry about missing the ship.  I don't set myself up for close calls, I wear a watch, and I double check the ship's time /island time.  I always know where I'm going /have a map saved on my phone, and -- if it's not dock-adjacent -- I have a back-up plan for getting back to the ship.  

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

One thing I don't have experience with is booking through a broker like Viator.  Are they reliable?  Is it helpful to be able to reach them with a problem if you can't reach the tour operator?   Or do they just get in the way?  Seems that Viator would be super-easy to book everything ... but online booking services always concern me.  Interested to hear advice and opinions.

Review your potential tour guide online -- such reviews are abundant online.  

Once you're sure /have booked, write down ALL your excursion information on an envelope:  date, name of company, phone number and reservation number.  Write down your meeting time /place, items you need to bring or wear, and anything else important.  Print your confirmation email and tuck it into the envelope.  Print a google map or instructions on how to get to your meeting place.  Finally, tuck into the envelope any cash money you'll need to spend on the excursion -- remaining balance, money for a taxi or a lunch, and tips in small bills.  

7 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

We've done private tours about 95% of the time.  Initially, when we first started cruising and used the excursion desk, we found that there were just too many people on the busses and too much time was spent getting on and off.  On top of that, you OFTEN wait for the slowest passenger.

We dislike ship's excursions for these very same reasons.  

We've found that smaller, independent tours get you to your destination faster, are led by tour guides who care more and interact more with the participants.  We've been given more options on independent tours (whereas ship's cattle-call excursions force the participants to hang around uninteresting straw markets that give kick-backs to the ship).  

• Like 1

I've taken few 'organized tours' over the years ... but one of the first was so interesting.  It was Grand Circle, I think.  The first night, our leaders said that the tour bus would leave at 830am, and the bus LEFT AT 830AM.  I have no idea if anyone missed it, but we never waited for anyone anywhere.  For the 90% of us that show up a few minutes early for any organized event, that was a real treat.  Same with an Avalon river cruise before the virus disaster.  Our Cruise Director was absolutely excellent, and I don't remember waiting for more than 5 minutes anywhere, any time.  

We do a mix of both private & ship with more private excursions. Just need to do your research.

However on our next cruise we’ve booked mainly ship (at the moment) as we have a lot of OBC. I’m sure once I start my research I’ll be swapping for private & using the OBC for better🍷 than AI wine. 

• Like 2

It all depends on port and activity. If there is a particular activity- like snorkeling, dolphin swim, etc we go through the ship. In Mexico or Jamaica we wouldn't take a private tour. We've had some good luck with Viator and Vacations to Go. In Europe, we love to go with a local. Don't prebook anything. There are always drivers waiting at the pier. Had the most fantastic day in Kotor, Montenegro with a private driver. We told him we like history and he took us to the most beautiful nearby town, with no crowds. He gave us time to wander and do exactly what we wanted. He took us to some very scenic spots and even took pictures for us. As we drove he explained all about the history and current politics of Montenegro. He spent 6 hrs with 4 of us. We did three times as much as any shore ex all for $150 TOTAL! Of course we tipped him well too. We got back to the ship with time to spare. We had a similar experience in Rome, and Dominican Republic (he took us for the most fantastic local food). In Malta, the driver kept showing us more wonderful things, but then wanted more money than agreed at the end. We were going to tip him well anyway. So we gave him what he asked but no extra tip. If they threaten to call the police,let them. Trust me they won't. Be sure you have an agreed price and amount of time and hold the driver to it. Never pay up front and be sure to have cash. In France we made our own tour, did the same itinerary as one of the excursions, but in reverse using trains and taxis. Got little towns like Eze, all to ourselves and left just as the hordes of cruise passengers arrived to clog the tiny streets. 
In Santorini however we booked through the ship since getting to the town from the pier was challenging and tour members got to go first. Otherwise just getting up to the town would have taken the better part of our short time. If you want to know about a specific port, ask on these boards. They are a wealth of info. 

• Like 1

I use ship tour excursions only for these reasons:

- if the next port is very far away. When we were on a cruise that stopped in Maui, I took the ship excursion because the next port was in Fiji- about one week away. Missing the ship would have been a very expensive catch up.

- if I have lots of OBC or one of the perks is $50 toward a ship excursion, I might take it if it is a port of little to mild interest (read: the Caribbean), a port I have already been to, or one where I can use their transportation and do my own thing for a while. 

We have avoided the ship's shore excursions...it's expensive, especially for big families.

We do mostly DIY...we are comfortable using local transportation and genuinely love the planning and research.

* We use Cruise Critic, YouTube, and www.whatsinport.com.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:25 PM, KameaB said:

To coordinate the ships time in port, where the tour starts and how to get there and back in enough time has been a major pain for us the last few months when almost all excursions were not avsailable. 

kameaB

Not at all trying to put you down, just wanting to offer some constructive advice.

You are creating a research and logistical nightmare for yourselves by "trying to fit a square peg into a round hole" !

The tours you are describing above are PUBLIC tours best suited to visitors on land trips, not cruise passengers, due to the difficulties of logistics and port timings which you are describing above.  Why are you even looking at them?
What are they offering that cannot be done some other way?
There may be the very occasional one which fits your port timings and location, but these could be rare.

If ship shorex are sold out, look at exploring independently either on foot, by taxi, or by public transport, or a combination of more than one of these. Some parts of the world have extensive public transport options which makes this a relatively easy option. And in some ports it is common to find taxi tours in addition to rides to get you from A to B.

Your other option would be to use only companies which are well regarded here on CC for the small group PRIVATE  tours they run specifically for cruise pax.  Timing is organised around ship arrival and departure times,they pick up at the port and finish at the port with itineraries and timings agreed ahead of time. So very much easier. Yes, for 1 or 2 persons they can work out too expensive but they commonly accommodate up to 8 or 10 persons and the more you have the less costly it is. You have the option of trying to find others on your Roll Call who might like to join you on one you have arranged, , or check your Roll Call for any fellow pax who have already set up a private tour somewhere and are looking for others like yourselves to share with them. And some companies can tell you when you enquire, if any other pax from the same ship are interested in the same tour on that date and can themselves help put a group together.

There is a huge amount of info to be found on the internet to help you plan sightseeing, also guidebooks and other resources, and much info here on the CC forums so I would encourage you to approach your trip planning from a totally different angle and actually enjoy it, because port planning is for many an fairly enjoyable element of the overall trip experience.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Researching tours on the net for approx 10 ports does take up much time, especiallly if you are thorough. Much easier to book a small group then it is booking 2 people. Just a much different experience than the last Grand European and Homeland cruises on Viking.

Edited by KameaB

13 hours ago, KameaB said:

Researching tours on the net for approx 10 ports does take up much time, especiallly if you are thorough. Much easier to book a small group then it is booking 2 people.

Well yes, agreed it does take time and best started a long way out,  but why are you trying to book as many tours for two persons as you are indicating you are, when there are so many others ways you could sightsee?

Do you only ever go ashore if you can tour?

Is it a language issue which holds you back orcruising  very remote areas with little or no infrastructure?

(Just trying to advise)

Edited by edinburgher

Most of the time I book direct with a local tour operator. I avoid ship excursions like the plauge as they are usually crowded and a bad value. I won't say never though as there have been a few times that it was a good idea. Traveling a very long distance from the ship for example. Or to use up onboard credit. I have most often regreted it though. I never use Viator as it is a middleman too. If I see a Viator or ship excursion description that looks interesting I just cut and paste the description into google and voila the actual local tour operator can be found. Of course a lot of ports are DIY walk off the ship and walk around or do hop on and hop off buses.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KameaB said:

Yes, we are planning a few ports just going ashore but, there is so much to see it is hard to make a choice 😊

That is often the #1 drawback for cruising  versus a land based trip.

Too much to see, not enough time, so you have to be selective and prioritise the sights/sites which are of most interest to you, not to others, and which will comfortably fit your timeframe.On a positive note, should you return a second or even third time and had some unfinished sightseeing, you can simply pick up where you left off and with the research having been done for the first visit, there should only be minimal research thereafter perhaps only checking that opening times, locations, timetables have not changed in the interim.

However, you said this

we are planning a few ports just going ashore

but in an earlier posting you said

To coordinate the ships time in port, where the tour starts and how to get there and back in enough time has been a major pain for us the last few months when almost all excursions were not avsailable.

Given the logistical and timing challenges you were facing trying to book public tours more suited to tourists on land based trips, tried to help by suggesting you drop plans for public tours in your ports and look for alternative means of getting around, and would still encourage you to do that if only to remove your stress thereby allowing you to begin to actually enjoy your port research as planning your days to match your own interests should be part of the overall enjoyment of the trip.

Edited by edinburgher