using Amazon to ship overseas with stuff for cruise

question221

I am taking a cruise departing from Rome in late September on the RCCL Odyssey.  I have read that the mattresses are uncomfortable and some people bring a foam topper.  I have also read that heating pads are prohibited.  So, it has been suggested that people bring "hot hands "- which are a one time use thing.  The cruise is 14 days.  If I wanted to bring a mattress topper, AND also bring the hot hands, these things are too bulky and/or heavy to pack for an international flight.  I looked on Amazon and it appears that I can buy the hot hands and have it shipped to our pre cruise hotel in Rome, and I am guessing that I can do the same thing with the topper.  Since we are staying at the Rome Airport, I can catch the RCCL shuttle to the ship after just wheeling this thing over to the bus.

Amazon is asking for passport information so that the items can clear customs.  Obviously, dependability and timing is an issue.  We would need to arrange with the Rome hotel to hold this for us as I would have it delivered a few days before.

I have a bad back, and I really don't want back pain to ruin the cruise and the entire trip.  Has anyone used Amazon in the US to ship goods overseas so that they are ready to take on the cruise?  I don't want to spend a lot of time in Rome looking for these items for purchase. 

Alternatively, has anyone purchased these types of items in/near Rome Italy.  And one other option might be to use Amazon Italy website - which is all in Italian but might be a better option.

Any information on this with a cruise starting outside the US is helpful.  In the US I would not worry about being able to buy what I need near the port.

Can't help you with your questions but you can ask your room steward to pad with your bed with blankets to make it more comfortable for you. This has worked for us! Good luck and happy cruising!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, question221 said:

I am taking a cruise departing from Rome in late September on the RCCL Odyssey.  I have read that the mattresses are uncomfortable and some people bring a foam topper.  I have also read that heating pads are prohibited.  So, it has been suggested that people bring "hot hands "- which are a one time use thing.  The cruise is 14 days.  If I wanted to bring a mattress topper, AND also bring the hot hands, these things are too bulky and/or heavy to pack for an international flight.  I looked on Amazon and it appears that I can buy the hot hands and have it shipped to our pre cruise hotel in Rome, and I am guessing that I can do the same thing with the topper.  Since we are staying at the Rome Airport, I can catch the RCCL shuttle to the ship after just wheeling this thing over to the bus.

Amazon is asking for passport information so that the items can clear customs.  Obviously, dependability and timing is an issue.  We would need to arrange with the Rome hotel to hold this for us as I would have it delivered a few days before.

I have a bad back, and I really don't want back pain to ruin the cruise and the entire trip.  Has anyone used Amazon in the US to ship goods overseas so that they are ready to take on the cruise?  I don't want to spend a lot of time in Rome looking for these items for purchase. 

Alternatively, has anyone purchased these types of items in/near Rome Italy.  And one other option might be to use Amazon Italy website - which is all in Italian but might be a better option.

Any information on this with a cruise starting outside the US is helpful.  In the US I would not worry about being able to buy what I need near the port.

Here is a site you might find helpful with making purchases on Amazon from another country. 

https://wise.com/us/blog/buying-from-amazon-in-a-different-country#:~:text=Can I buy from Amazon,You can.

Sounds like you may be want to check out shipping and availability if you order from the amazon us website vs the amazon italy website.     

I am based in EU and have ordered from Amazons us page before it became available in Europe. It works but there are long shipping times and the duty and sales tax makes it doubtful if you will get it to your hotel in time. Check if you can order from Amazons German or Italian webpage instead for local (EU) delivery without any extra fees. You use the same accoubt, just go to their .de or .it site instead. 

Another thing to be aware of is that many/most hotels charge a pretty hefty fee for receiving items and holding them for your arrival.  I'm a corporate event planner and am very familiar with shipping things to hotels rather than trying to get them on a plane--both in the U.S. and internationally. As someone else mentioned, there can be delays, taxes, duty, tariffs as well.  

• Like 2

question 221 I hope this works out for you, I have the same concerns as others have expressed.

I have bought foam pads from stores in ports of call, we always go four days ahead of boarding. I've found employees at hotels to be helpful in directing me to stores.

• Like 1

Does your cruise line not provide foam mattress toppers upon request?

Have you asked the special needs (whatever that group's name is) about this, in advance?

Also ask about your heating pad if it is for medical purposes.  Some lines will allow them, with documentation about the medical need.

GC

• Like 1

Posters have mentioned using other Amazon sites (.it .de etc), but the important element is to check where the product ships from.  It is the original shipping point that determines the taxes and duties.  Over recent months the EU has become quite strict on imports originating outside of the EU.

I've never found a cruise ship mattress so hard that I needed to bring my own topper. And the cruise line might provide them upon request. For the heating, I would bring a hot water bottle. It would be easy to pack and there should be hot water available in the buffet. 

Order from Amazon.it. If it's shipped from the Italian site, they will handle the customs clearance issues as long as your hotel is OK with receiving it.

That said, I can't imagine needing hand-warmers in September in the Med, unless your cruise takes you into the North Sea. I wouldn't need them at home in Latvia, which is much further north. I think you'd be fine with nothing at all, but worst-case a light set of gloves should be fine. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

That said, I can't imagine needing hand-warmers in September in the Med, unless your cruise takes you into the North Sea. I wouldn't need them at home in Latvia, which is much further north. I think you'd be fine with nothing at all, but worst-case a light set of gloves should be fine. 

i'm wondering if maybe the hand warmers are going to be used in place of a heating pad or for arthritis relief for hands?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:06 AM, 6rugrats said:

If I had to deal with all that stuff, I would not travel.  You do not need "hot hands" in Sept. in Europe.  Most ships will provide a mattress topper.

We have been told that they will not provide a foam mattress topper, but will provide an additional mattress pad which is quite different.  The hot hands were suggested to bring because the cruise ships will not allow a heating pad, and sometimes I need that.  We have been on RCCL before and I do not remember the beds as being bad, but this is a longer cruise and I don't want to find out on day 2 that the bed is causing back pain.  Then it is too late to do anything.  I quite normally bring a heating pad because I have a bad back - and usually it is no big deal - certainly for hotels.  I suspect if you had a problem back you would deal with it and still travel assuming you wanted to travel in the first place.  Someone said aging is not for the timid.  

The odd thing to me, I never cruised when young and always thought it would be something to do at my current age.  But the cruise ships do not make it easy by not allowing things that people my age may well need. 

9 minutes ago, eyecantwait said:

i'm wondering if maybe the hand warmers are going to be used in place of a heating pad or for arthritis relief for hands?

Exactly - since they will not allow heating pads.  Someone else suggested that they use hot hands.   I need to have something "in case".  I don't always need but I would not want to find myself without.  I know people bring hot water bottles - but I am picturing water leaks - not good.  I may bring one in case as a back up.

20 minutes ago, question221 said:

Exactly - since they will not allow heating pads.  Someone else suggested that they use hot hands.   I need to have something "in case".  I don't always need but I would not want to find myself without.  I know people bring hot water bottles - but I am picturing water leaks - not good.  I may bring one in case as a back up.

The issue is the number of "hot hands" you might need to bring. If it's one or two packets, no big deal. If you want to bring the big sam's size box, then yes, those take up quite a bit of room. Hot water bottles have been made and used for heating for centuries, not sure why you think a brand new one from a reputable brand would leak. I've used one at home for ourselves. And stayed at a hotel once that didn't have central heat and that's all they used for heat. 

The one we used at home had a wider screw on lid. We liked it because you could put ice in it to make it a cold pack or hot water in to make it a hot pack.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, question221 said:

What about a re-usable rice heating pad? It would require a microwave to heat, but I would think you could find somewhere to do that. Or you can put it in a drybag or double-bag with ziplocks and soak it in a warm sink for a bit. 

1 hour ago, question221 said:

We have been told that they will not provide a foam mattress topper, but will provide an additional mattress pad which is quite different. 

I'm assuming from this you have talked to RCI's special needs department (special_needs@rcci.com).  If not, might be worth a shot.  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm assuming from this you have talked to RCI's special needs department (special_needs@rcci.com).  If not, might be worth a shot.  

Yes - we have talked with them.  They suggested a hot water bottle.  They did say that - no guarantees - depends on who is inspecting - they sometimes allow a heating pad that is certified and has an automatic shut off and that it should be left in the box to document that.  But sometimes that gets confiscated.  Leaving us in a situation where we feel we need a backup.

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

14 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

What about a re-usable rice heating pad? It would require a microwave to heat, but I would think you could find somewhere to do that. Or you can put it in a drybag or double-bag with ziplocks and soak it in a warm sink for a bit. 

no microwaves is my understanding.  I am not sure why they don't have one in the common areas - where they could monitor them for safety.

Just now, question221 said:

Yes - we have talked with them.  They suggested a hot water bottle.  They did say that - no guarantees - depends on who is inspecting - they sometimes allow a heating pad that is certified and has an automatic shut off and that it should be left in the box to document that.  But sometimes that gets confiscated.  Leaving us in a situation where we feel we need a backup.

That really is too bad.  I suspect you might get away with bringing the boxed heating pad, but the risk of having nothing if it were confiscated is understandable.