2025 Booking

ECCruise

20 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think it may be uk prices that are all in air and gratuities, other places may get it offered from time to time. 

I think that is the issue for us over here.  None of the Viking sailings we've priced have included air.  Deals on air, yes, but on your dime.

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I am not seeing included air for a similar 2025 Viking cruise. It’s a little more expensive, but true that their prices include basic excursions and specialties. Ending in Montreal would be super convenient for us though!

I thought of you when I saw that itinerary. You would certainly know your way around the city!

• Like 2

I just found the Viking vs Azamara posts. I will have to take a peek, but we are Azamara loyalists to the end. Here is a small point to consider. Quest will be making these sailings, and will be undergoing dry dock refurb in March or April, 2024. We were advised of this last winter while we were on board, and there are scattered references to the refurb in several scattered posts. It's going to be a new(ish) ship. (Hope they would get rid of that hideous chandelier in the MDR.)

7 minutes ago, Dr H said:

I just found the Viking vs Azamara posts. I will have to take a peek, but we are Azamara loyalists to the end. Here is a small point to consider. Quest will be making these sailings, and will be undergoing dry dock refurb in March or April, 2024. We were advised of this last winter while we were on board, and there are scattered references to the refurb in several scattered posts. It's going to be a new(ish) ship. (Hope they would get rid of that hideous chandelier in the MDR.)

Quest goes into dry dock on April 1, 2024 when we disembark in Lisbon.  It is a short, maintenance dry dock since it sails again 2 weeks later.  Other than required maintenance (marine growth removal and inspections) and probably painting the hull and maybe some dry good replacements like carpeting, it is likely that not a lot else will be done. 

Except I would not be the least surprised if the Drawing Room is jettisoned in favor of the Atlas Bar. 

• Like 3

We booked onto this back to back cruise (Dublin -  Iceland - Montreal) last week too!  Wow, I am so glad I did, it looks very popular! 

TeaBag are on this cruise too?  I would be so excited to get in touch again and meet if you are! 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:14 AM, ECCruise said:

Wonky is exactly what we thought.

For example, our $300 Experience More Shore excursion credit for a B2B cruise, a total of $600 shows, on the invoice:

$150  Name #1

Name#2

Name#1

Name#2

Meaning each guest gets $150 x 2 names x 2 sailings which equal $600.  But not listed that way at all.

Same thing with the B2B credit ($200 x 2 names x 2 sailings which equal $800)

My agent was saying that the B2B cruise credit was $400, I am hoping she was wrong, I like yours better.  🙂.  But the last time we sailed (and i am hoping it is the same for our sailing in Nov on the Trade Routes Cruise) we did not HAVE to use any of of our OBC on shore excursions - has this changed? 

Just now, Lynda S said:

My agent was saying that the B2B cruise credit was $400, I am hoping she was wrong, I like yours better.  🙂.  But the last time we sailed (and i am hoping it is the same for our sailing in Nov on the Trade Routes Cruise) we did not HAVE to use any of of our OBC on shore excursions - has this changed? 

It is $400 for each sailing. 

The Experience More OBC referenced here (the current early booking promotion) can only be used for shore excursions. Other OBC promotions can be different. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

They would be my first choice, but it's hard to guess their future dates because they switch between the 7-nt and 10-nt itineraries on the same ship.  Azamara only does 7 nights, and it looks like it's always Thurs-Thurs – so that's what I'm pencilling in on my plans.  If Scenic works out, I'd love to do their 10-nt.

I don't think you meant "Azamara" only does 7 nights. I like the idea of go on a river cruise after cruising with Azamara. Never having done a river cruise, I am curious to know if any of the river cruise companies are like the Azamara experience.

2 hours ago, PirateWife said:

I don't think you meant "Azamara" only does 7 nights. I like the idea of go on a river cruise after cruising with Azamara. Never having done a river cruise, I am curious to know if any of the river cruise companies are like the Azamara experience.

You're right.  I meant AMA.  I'm making a DIY B2B with an Azamara ocean cruise followed by an AMA river cruise and my fingers got confused.  [That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!]  I fixed the original post.

In answer to your question:  in my experience [having sailed AMA and Scenic] and opinion [as Host of the River Cruising forum I read every post] there are four top river cruise lines, any of which could be a good choice for Azamara fans:

•  Tauck – probably the top line, but they have a small number of ships and therefore do a small number of itineraries and dates; they have never worked out for me so I haven't tried them.

•  Scenic – The top line in my book based on the wide range of itineraries (including 10-night options in addition to the 7-nighters that everybody else does), the quality of the food, and the abundance of choices for included excursions.

•  Uniworld – High up in the rankings, but I can't stand the over-the-top décor on all their ships – also they claim to be all-inclusive but some excursions that would be included on the other lines mentioned here are extra cost on Uniworld.

•  AmaWaterways [AMA] – top rated in the Berlitz/Insight guides and reputed to spend the most per passenger on food; very good choice of excursions all included.

[Crystal, during its brief river cruise career, was at the very top and their ships are now back on the water under the Riverside Luxury Cruise line but the primary language is German which is a problem for most North Americans.]

In comparing prices among river cruise lines, pay attention to the included amenities [e.g. Tauck and Scenic are truly all-inclusive; Uniworld is except for the extra-cost excursions; AMA includes wine/beer at meals and a happy hour daily, but not gratuities].  Also the number of passengers on board – most river cruise ships are exactly the same size – limited by the size of the locks, but the number of passengers varies from Viking as most crowded to Tauck as most spacious – and the size of the cabins [Scenic has the widest variety of larger cabins and suites].

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You're right.  I meant AMA.  I'm making a DIY B2B with an Azamara ocean cruise followed by an AMA river cruise and my fingers got confused.  [That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!]  I fixed the original post.

In answer to your question:  in my experience [having sailed AMA and Scenic] and opinion [as Host of the River Cruising forum I read every post] there are four top river cruise lines, any of which could be a good choice for Azamara fans:

•  Tauck – probably the top line, but they have a small number of ships and therefore do a small number of itineraries and dates; they have never worked out for me so I haven't tried them.

•  Scenic – The top line in my book based on the wide range of itineraries (including 10-night options in addition to the 7-nighters that everybody else does), the quality of the food, and the abundance of choices for included excursions.

•  Uniworld – High up in the rankings, but I can't stand the over-the-top décor on all their ships – also they claim to be all-inclusive but some excursions that would be included on the other lines mentioned here are extra cost on Uniworld.

•  AmaWaterways [AMA] – top rated in the Berlitz/Insight guides and reputed to spend the most per passenger on food; very good choice of excursions all included.

[Crystal, during its brief river cruise career, was at the very top and their ships are now back on the water under the Riverside Luxury Cruise line but the primary language is German which is a problem for most North Americans.]

In comparing prices among river cruise lines, pay attention to the included amenities [e.g. Tauck and Scenic are truly all-inclusive; Uniworld is except for the extra-cost excursions; AMA includes wine/beer at meals and a happy hour daily, but not gratuities].  Also the number of passengers on board – most river cruise ships are exactly the same size – limited by the size of the locks, but the number of passengers varies from Viking as most crowded to Tauck as most spacious – and the size of the cabins [Scenic has the widest variety of larger cabins and suites].

I agree with this assessment.

Azamara is one of my favorite cruise lines on the oceans, and my favorite lines on the rivers are Scenic and AMA.  

Host Jazzbeau, is your potential B2B Azamara Portsmouth to Bordeaux to a river cruise out of Bordeaux to take place in 2025?  I'm having trouble finding itineraries out of Bordeaux for Sept. 2025.

Thanks in advance...

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wow, thank you for this - that was very informative!  We booked onto Scenic for next summer, looks like we chose well!  We avoided Uniworld because of the decor too - we thought it would give us a headache, really over the top!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lynda S said:

Wow, thank you for this - that was very informative!  We booked onto Scenic for next summer, looks like we chose well!  We avoided Uniworld because of the decor too - we thought it would give us a headache, really over the top!

It has been described as looking like Marie Antoinette exploded in the bedroom!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Host Jazzbeau, is your potential B2B Azamara Portsmouth to Bordeaux to a river cruise out of Bordeaux to take place in 2025?  I'm having trouble finding itineraries out of Bordeaux for Sept. 2025.

Thanks in advance...

Yes.  AMA hasn't posted their 2025 Bordeaux itineraries yet, but I sussed out that they are always Thursday to Thursday so I asked about Sept. 18-25, which fits nicely with the Azamara cruise ending on Sept. 16 in Bordeaux.  Even though it's not published yet they were willing to book me.  The AMA website has "up to 20% off" on 2025 cruises, but they only gave me 5% off.  The TA was able to convince them to give me an additional 5% off [or maybe this is out of his commission].

• Thanks 2

On 7/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, Dr H said:

Hello Dr. H; thanks for the info about dry dock refurb, I will keep my eyes + ears open.  I might even ask when we're on the Journey in less that a month doing Scotland & Ireland.  We are also Azamara loyalists.

Question: was it you I chatted to a couple of years ago who gave me tips to keep diabetes in control?  I've thought of that often and wanted to thank that doc!  Anyway, knocked down now to pre-diabetes. To be honest, being on a cruise and so active with excursions (and not sitting at my desk working) really helps!

RE Diabetes, possibly, I would love to take credit, but honestly, I don't remember. I'm one of the few guys who loves cruising because I lose weight. If you watch the carbs, and WALK, you lose weight, fat, and sugars go down. There are a number of new(er) meds out there that work magic in keeping numbers down AND lead to weight loss. I'd love to put myself on one of them, but the price of losing 60lbs is about the same as an Azamara cruise so...

• Like 2