Why are people still cruising with P&O ?

Winifred 22

What I don’t understand if P &O are deemed by some  on here as incompetent with poor management  and policies etc… why are they still sailing with them?   If other lines do things so much better why not just sail with them and forget P &O ?  If I don’t like the way a service is offered to me I don’t go back or use that firm again. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

What I don’t understand if P &O are deemed by some  on here as incompetent with poor management  and policies etc… why are they still sailing with them?   If other lines do things so much better why not just sail with them and forget P &O ?  If I don’t like the way a service is offered to me I don’t go back or use that firm again. 

Absolutely that's why I left P&O after 20+ Cruises. The product now now supplied post Covid is no where near the standards pre Covid. Quality of food & standard of service has plummeted.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

Quality of food & standard of service has plummeted.

But so have the prices, which is why this Britannia cruise is full to overflowing with passengers - and an awful awful lot seem to have bought the moneymaking drinks package. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

From my own personal perspective:

a) November-April the choice of cruise lines from Southampton is very limited.

b) Have you never been asked to complete an ‘How can we make things even better?’ questionnaire? How will P&O know if no one says?

c) There are very many things to like about P&O. I’ve never been on any cruise I didn’t enjoy including my 5 with P&O

d) The name of the website is ‘Cruise Critic’ - I would understand that to include posts containing warts and all, providing they did not give offence.

You possibly were not aiming your remarks at me, but I would never make all the claims you attribute to some.  I think pointing out things that could be done better is hardly a full-on assault of P&O, but it could be I’ve missed some of the posts to which you refer 😉

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

Absolutely that's why I left P&O after 20+ Cruises. The product now now supplied post Covid is no where near the standards pre Covid. Quality of food & standard of service has plummeted.

I don’t know whether you have been following my live review but, from what we had read about P&O since Covid, we were concerned that our next 3 P&O cruises (including this one) might be our last (having done a similar number to yourself pre Covid). 

It is true that there have been an awful lot of cut backs and as long time P&O cruisers we can’t help but notice them, however in all honesty the vast majority of them haven’t been show stoppers and haven’t spoilt our enjoyment. 

Yes, there have been some disappointments, particularly in finding that corners have been cut in some of the extra cost restaurants, but our biggest and most positive surprise is that the MDR experience has been very good indeed. All meals have been served hot, the vast majority have been very tasty, portion sizes have been fine (smaller than I’d serve at home, but we eat more meals on the ship so it’s fine) and service has been excellent. The app is patchy but on the whole has been better than I feared.

We have interacted with countless staff members and all have been great. We tend to engage in conversation with them which I think helps. 

Yes there are better quality cruise experiences out there, but from a value for money perspective this has been difficult to argue against. I will do a final sum up when we get home, but my sense is that as long as we can secure cruises at keen prices we shall continue to use P&O. 

• Like 27

My remarks are aimed at no one in particular. I have completed questionnaires but have never found the need to complain or feedback any negative comments or make suggestions for improvements. I am normally a Cunarder but take a few P &O cruises when the price and timing suits. Last cruise on Britannia in May was top notch I thought and 5 stars from me all the way. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

From my own personal perspective:

a) November-April the choice of cruise lines from Southampton is very limited.

b) Have you never been asked to complete an ‘How can we make things even better?’ questionnaire? How will P&O know if no one says?

c) There are very many things to like about P&O. I’ve never been on any cruise I didn’t enjoy including my 5 with P&O

d) The name of the website is ‘Cruise Critic’ - I would understand that to include posts containing warts and all, providing they did not give offence.

You possibly were not aiming your remarks at me, but I would never make all the claims you attribute to some.  I think pointing out things that could be done better is hardly a full-on assault of P&O, but it could be I’ve missed some of the posts to which you refer 😉

I agree with both sides of this 'argument' ... 

I am a great believer in life that if you don't like something, change it. 

So, if P&O no longer suits you, try elsewhere. 

So much has changed that all of us have decisions to make, does the current offering still suit us? 

In truth, for us, it probably still does. We will consider other lines, but the familiarity of P&O and the choice from Southampton is still a draw.

We might just have to consider itinerary, length of cruise and ship more. 

Andy 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Well said! I also do not understand why some of the moaners  on here stay with P&O! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

This is a P&O forum!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

but our biggest and most positive surprise is that the MDR experience has been very good indeed. All meals have been served hot, the vast majority have been very tasty

I have been enjoying reading about your experiences onboard and particularly your reports on the MDR. 

As you know my experience at the beginning of this year of the MDR food on Iona was not good at all and we were no alone in that opinion onboard and this was reflected in reviews as well. Let’s hope what you have experienced is more representative of the food and service going forward as it all sounds extremely positive which is great.

Conversely the Epicurean etc on Iona were excellent compared to what you described. Consistency across the fleet would be nice.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

But so have the prices, which is why this Britannia cruise is full to overflowing with passengers - and an awful awful lot seem to have bought the moneymaking drinks package. 

Lead in Prices are low but then if you want good quality food you pay in the speciality venues!. Internet costs up 100% pre covid & wine up 60% & that is jut two items!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Perhaps a few of reasons why people don’t / can’t just move to another company:

1. P&O encouraged passengers to be “loyal” to them for many years and have taken a lot of money from those customers. If they move they have to start again and lose those perks built up over many years spending tens of thousands of pounds (though MSC do a status match).

2. Some people can’t fly so regardless of what changes on P&O, they are the only show in town over much of the winter for U.K. departures. Again MSc are doing trips from Southampton but to cold weather ports and most prefer winter sunshine.

3. Some  people were left with a lot of FCC after the covid shut down. This is likely to be used up by the end of this year I would imagine but meantime you have people going on cruises which look and feel completely different to when they first paid for them in 2019/2020. 

Personally I have never been loyal to one line and pick and choose  based on where I want to go a best price but many have been very loyal to P&O for a lifetime. Consequently they are entitled to comment when they see changes they don’t like and poor practice that could perhaps be improved.

Poor management and policies don’t improve if a company does not receive constructive feedback (not moaning for the sake of it but practical, constructive suggestions for improvement).

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have been enjoying reading about your experiences onboard and particularly your reports on the MDR. 

As you know my experience at the beginning of this year of the MDR food on Iona was not good at all and we were no alone in that opinion onboard and this was reflected in reviews as well. Let’s hope what you have experienced is more representative of the food and service going forward as it all sounds extremely positive which is great.

Conversely the Epicurean etc on Iona were excellent compared to what you described. Consistency across the fleet would be nice.

Thanks. I’m pleased to hear that so many people are finding the review useful as it takes time to do it. I agree about the need for consistency, as it seems that it can vary not only between ships but also between cruises on the same ship!

I should stress that whilst our first Epicurean experience was below standard, the second visit was significantly better, albeit still missing some of the nice touches that make it so special. We have two further reservations with the second menu

and a second visit to Sindhu, where I shall order something completely different to last time (again, it will be a different menu). 

In all honesty, had there been no extra cost restaurants on board and we’d had to dine in the MDR for every meal then, occasional app issues aside, we would have still enjoyed the cruise so far. Given that it’s mass catering, the fact that every meal has been hot and the vast majority have been tasty and good quality is a credit to the team. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Well said! I also do not understand why some of the moaners  on here stay with P&O! 

I can enjoy a holiday in either 5 star luxury or 3 star standard, it just means I have to adjust my expectations. However many of my complaints about P&O reflect their inability to do things more professionally, and this would not require higher costs that need to be recovered in higher prices, eg the embarkation procedure and the way senior staff manage their junior staff. When I see other cruise lines doing things far better and without more staff, then I question their professionalism.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Some people have health reasons that stop them from using certain modes of transport.  We prefer Celebrity, Princess and Cunard but if we wish to cruise in the winter we go with P&O because they go out of Southampton year round.

• Like 6

We cruise with P&O mainly because we like longer cruises from Southampton during winter. They have now become a budget cruise line and are priced accordingly. I have never had a bad cruise with P&O and adjust my expectations accordingly. We have just had a long cruise with Cunard where the cost was far more per night and the experience was much better. I would happily cruise with both lines in the future when they meet my needs. I think it is the fact that people want 5* cruises at 3* prices. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think it is the fact that people want 5* cruises at 3* prices. 

I think you are correct about that. I temper my expectations to an extent to what I have paid for any cruise. 

I suppose those who get the most annoyed are those who have not paid the 3* price but get the 3* package eg school holiday prices (which I avoid like the plague on any cruise line).

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We cruise with P&O mainly because we like longer cruises from Southampton during winter. They have now become a budget cruise line and are priced accordingly. I have never had a bad cruise with P&O and adjust my expectations accordingly. We have just had a long cruise with Cunard where the cost was far more per night and the experience was much better. I would happily cruise with both lines in the future when they meet my needs. I think it is the fact that people want 5* cruises at 3* prices. 

Therein lies the problem I think. 

• Like 2

A lot of passengers want to P&O of old, even though they happy to pay the prices of today. You can't have both.

I have sympathy for those who pay higher prices and still receive the service of today however its the same across the holiday industry. Look at Tui, as a package tour operator, a week in term time April may cost £500 but that same week in school holiday August can be £1250 (trust me, i've been looking at a specific hotel hoping for a late bargain). Nothing extra is offered.

You don't have such the same extremes on cruises but still do have a seasonal increase.

• Like 8

PRICE and ENTERTAINMENT 

Just finished a 2 week Mediterranean cruise  Cunard QG £14k , at this price prefer smaller ships,  Saga , Silversea.....

Next June 2024 2 weeks Mediterranean in aft suite on Arvia £6k, add in speciality restaurants every night , it's still half price.  If we can get in to restaurants and embarkation not a nightmare then as we loved P&O pre Covid evening entertainment.  Should be a really good cruise.

If it goes wrong , can't get into restaurants or food sub par,  cant get into shows and embarkation is a nightmare , then goodbye P&O

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

You clearly mistake the staffing problems, which affected many cruise lines and hospitality on shore with drop in standards. We have had 10 cruises since the lockdown and we have seen the improvements cruise by cruise. The food on Aurora at Christmas was good and on Iona at Easter even better. On Britannia the standard has been maintained and sometimes bettered. Last nights dinner was slow cooked beef and was wonderful. It came with 3 veg. but unfortunately no green beans.

IMG_5080.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

A lot of passengers want to P&O of old, even though they happy to pay the prices of today. You can't have both.

I have sympathy for those who pay higher prices and still receive the service of today however its the same across the holiday industry. Look at Tui, as a package tour operator, a week in term time April may cost £500 but that same week in school holiday August can be £1250 (trust me, i've been looking at a specific hotel hoping for a late bargain). Nothing extra is offered.

You don't have such the same extremes on cruises but still do have a seasonal increase.

For us, any differences have not impacted at all on our cruising experience at all so we are happy bunnies with lower prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

Lead in Prices are low but then if you want good quality food you pay in the speciality venues!. Internet costs up 100% pre covid & wine up 60% & that is jut two items!.

Sorry but I disagree with you. 

I am just relaxing after an excellent lunch in the MDR on Britannia so good food is available there, but if you do choose to eat in the specialty venues they are very cheap for what they offer. 

Internet prices - no idea, never paid for it and can’t see why I would need to. 

And wine prices are certainly not up 60% pre-Covid - if they were then they would have been £3.75 for a small glass in 2019 and they certainly were not. 

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 5