Amsterdam - (proposed) closing cruise ship terminal

5 minutes ago, Clemmnj said:

I read yesterday that Amsterdam is going to be closing its cruise port. No date was specified. I have a cruise scheduled for May of next year that is leaving from Amsterdam but now don’t know what to do about hotels etc pre cruise. I don’t want to book hotels and transportation if that is not going to be the departure port. Does anyone know anything about when this might happen or how to handle this new dilemma? 

Book refundable room. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

It's not going to happen soon, so you should be fine. The best thing about the current port is that you are almost in the middle of the city.

Yes, that is what I figured, but I called NCL anyway as we will be in the port of Amsterdam in only a few weeks for actually 2 days as our stop in Belgium was cancelled due to low tides. They still have us going to the port in the middle of town.

I'm guessing you will be departing Rotterdam instead.   That has been the theme this year.    50% of the cruises originally scheduled from Amsterdam were revised to Rotterdam.     Amsterdam is only about an hour from Rotterdam and excellent train service to both Schiphol and Amsterdam. 

Like others suggested it is a good idea of you do book is to select a non-refundable fare.   I did this recently and once things were finalized went back in and book a cheaper non-refundable room and cancelled my more expensive refundable.

Bimmer09 has just completed an excellent review of a recent cruise to Iceland and Ireland leaving Rotterdam.

He stayed in Amsterdam and enjoyed touring the city for a few days pre and post cruise.

He arranged private transportation betweenAmsterdam  and Rotterdam.

Check out his experience.

MJ

The changes from Amsterdam to Rotterdam for some cruises’ arrivals and departures was due to some construction work that was being done. Perhaps that project will go on hold now, but it is likely that River Cruises will continue to sail from Amsterdam so it is possible that the construction will need to to be completed for them.

2 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

The changes from Amsterdam to Rotterdam for some cruises’ arrivals and departures was due to some construction work that was being done. Perhaps that project will go on hold now, but it is likely that River Cruises will continue to sail from Amsterdam so it is possible that the construction will need to to be completed for them.

With due respect having sailed out of both Amsterdam and Rotterdam the schedule change was made  due to Saline intrusion into the freshwater canal system due to drought conditions.   To reduce the effect they limited the number times per day they allowed ships to enter the lock system.   

Most tourists on ships go to a port for a one & done.... they want to Rome, Istanbul, Dublin, Buenos Aires in a day or two & say they've been there / seen it.  Its a known fact in the tourism industry that these tourists do not spend a great deal of $$$ while ashore - the people staying hotels spend the most $$$(not talking about Airbnb's).  In London it's the business traveler that spends up to $1,000 a day on hotels & meals etc.

as far as the smaller ports - these ports were not built for these mega ships - the behavior of the people say in Amsterdam hasn't changed in decades (it was even more liberal years ago).

what is a shame is the loss of individuality of many unique places - in the smaller ports such as the USVI I remember staying a few days at a small hotel on the beach w a family-owned restaurant w fresh caught fish - we lived in our bathing suits & shorts... Now there is FRENCHMANS REEF as the same in all islands along w Mc Donalds, the cheap jewelry stores etc.  

someone mentioned that all that will be left is the carib - now when I take my winter holiday on a ship(in February) I mostly stay on the ship....I can't even tell if its St Thomas, Cozumel, Jamaica or St Maarten.

I applaud these ports that are putting on restrictions for the large ships - Venice is already sinking (so is NYC for that matter) along w the cultural dilution the ecological impact across the board needs to be addressed.

i still travel but I'm interested in the quality of the experience all around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Clemmnj said:

I read yesterday that Amsterdam is going to be closing its cruise port. No date was specified.

There still seems to be a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding. 
Amsterdam is not going to be closing its cruise port. The city council has decided to speed up the plans to move the cruise terminal out of the city center towards the harbour. So they’re planning to move the terminal not close it. And since the building process for the new terminal hasn’t even started yet, this move won’t happen for many many years. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I get page not found.

here is the text from the link

https://cruising.org/en-gb/news-and-research/press-room/2023/july/clia-statement-regarding-incorrect-reports-about-cruise-operations-in-amsterdam-21-july-2023

" quote    

In response to inaccurate reports about cruise operations in Amsterdam, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) shares the following statement:                        

We are aware of the media reports about the future of cruise in Amsterdam. As the port has publicly stated, cruise ships have not been banned from Amsterdam.  Furthermore, the port and Passenger Terminal Amsterdam have already pledged to undertake investments worth millions of Euros in port infrastructure and shoreside electricity for the long-term. There have been discussions on its relocation outside the city centre which started back in 2016 and which are still ongoing.

We are working with the authorities to accommodate the views expressed by Council members while continuing to support the communities that benefit from cruise tourism. Of the more than 21 million visitors that Amsterdam receives each year, around 1% arrive by cruise ship, with cruise tourism contributing around 105 million Euros to the city annually.

end quote

PRESS RELEASE | JULY 21, 2023

CLIA Statement regarding incorrect reports about cruise operations in Amsterdam 21 July 2023In response to inaccurate reports about cruise operations in Amsterdam, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) shares the following statement:

Edited by LifeonMars

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Wait just a minute?  Cruise passengers contribute to the economy?  All the supporters of these closures say we’re just leeches.

So says a partisan organisation that (like cruise passengers) has a vested interest in distorting statistics or looking at them too narrowly.

1 hour ago, LifeonMars said:

We are working with the authorities to accommodate the views expressed by Council members while continuing to support the communities that benefit from cruise tourism. Of the more than 21 million visitors that Amsterdam receives each year, around 1% arrive by cruise ship, with cruise tourism contributing around 105 million Euros to the city annually.

105m? That's peanuts!

Fact is that Amsterdam is a capital city, and an old one. It has a real economy based on commerce, finance and services. As well as 900k residents and millions in the metro area. 

Tourism is an important industry, but what is the value of an increment in tourists? Are there enough hotel rooms during peak season? Does the typical cruise pax actually spend more than a night in this expensive city during peak season?

Tourists who stay in the city pay a hotel tax (7%) for using the city's infrastructure. The cruise pax who fly away on debarkation day pay only 8 Euros.

https://www.amsterdam.nl/en/municipal-taxes/tourist-tax-(toeristenbelasting)/

It wouldn't be too bad if ships visited during the off-season. But, typically the cruise industry is most active in the summer months. In any case, housing is always scarce in Amsterdam. Could the waterfront be converted to residential neighbourhoods. What's the value $$$ per hectare to the city?

The reality is that the Port of Amsterdam is owned by the city...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Amsterdam

So, they can actually do what they want with restrictions and dock fees. City Council has signaled that cruise ships are unwanted. That is their right. The residents vote. Nearby, is the massive Port of Rotterdam. It is what it is.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, Charles4515 said:

Cruise ships have not been banned from Amsterdam. There is a proposal to pursue moving the cruise terminal out of the city center. 

But it may have the same effect in terms of fewer ships and fewer passengers visiting the city each year. And that's not a bad outcome.

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Amsterdam - (proposed) closing cruise ship terminal
On 7/21/2023 at 3:37 AM, rachiem said:

They say to limit tourists but won't they just get "bussed" in anyway from other local ports?

But the climate folks in Amsterdam will not have to see the carbon spewing ships if they are far away....feels better.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

But the climate folks in Amsterdam will not have to see the carbon spewing ships if they are far away....feels better.

Maybe we can build a wall around Amsterdam.  So we can never go and they can never leave.

• Haha 1

Once more Amsterdam will not be closed for cruise ships but wants to move the terminal more west of town. Of course  the present terminal is in a great location, passengers can walk into town. Later they will need public transport, cabs or buses into town. 

Furthermore it is not just Amsterdam having problems with too many cruise ships, look at places like Venice, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Key West, many ports in Norway like a.o. Geiranger etc are also either reducing the number of (often very big) ships or even allow only small ships in the near future. 

10 hours ago, Ine said:

Furthermore it is not just Amsterdam having problems with too many cruise ships, look at places like Venice, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Key West, many ports in Norway like a.o. Geiranger etc are also either reducing the number of (often very big) ships or even allow only small ships in the near future. 

Sorry! Its just an over-reaction by some pax.

Of course, Amsterdam (any host city) has the right to choose what it wants to do with visitors. IMO, Amsterdam should re-open the affected waterfront to residents. As we sailed out of Rotterdam, there were new residential buildings occupying the old wharfs.

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal _DSC5731.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Euromast_DSC5730.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Sail_DSC5733.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Sail_DSC5735.jpg