Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Up to now the Retreat product has kept me from cruising on other lines with butlers, so I can't answer that. RCL has a "Genie" sort of butler on the highest end suites, but very little information is available on how a "Genie" works.

RCL itself is a different animal, but the Genie service is generally comparable to butlers on Celebrity. Differences are more due to the different style of RCL ships than service levels themselves.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Considering that the E Class ships were built and designed to handle the larger number of SS compared to M & S class ship, with a larger Luminae and Retreat Lounge, which would become ghost towns. This would totally devalue the SS and all that would be left is a larger cabin in size. SS's are selling out on almost every cruise and there would no longer be a reason to book one. I cannot see it happening but with the new management anything is possible.

But I believe on RCL that Pinnacle get access to the Suite lounge and restaurant.  So could they be planning to give that back to Zenith?

30 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

But I believe on RCL that Pinnacle get access to the Suite lounge and restaurant. <snip>

Hello,

Yes, but only by booking CK for dinner and then only space permitting (in both).

During the Covid crisis (?) for safety's sake and to allow 'social distancing', Pins were barred from the Concierge Lounge and had to do with a cordoned-off area of the Music Hall. Meanwhile Pins that were also in suites were so lonely in the Concierge Lounge, ie too few Suite PAX putting in an appearance, that they went to the Diamond Lounge for company.

Regards,

Cublet

19 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Yes, but only by booking CK for dinner and then only space permitting (in both).

During the Covid crisis (?) for safety's sake and to allow 'social distancing', Pins were barred from the Concierge Lounge and had to do with a cordoned-off area of the Music Hall. Meanwhile Pins that were also in suites were so lonely in the Concierge Lounge, ie too few Suite PAX putting in an appearance, that they went to the Diamond Lounge for company.

Regards,

Cublet

Pinnacle have access to both the SL and CK for breakfast, lunch and dinner based on # of Pinnacles onboard a sailing. 

On 7/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Don't mean to be rude here, but I couldn't stop laughing at your idea that they could or would start dropping the prices of Sky or Celebrity suites.  The CEO has stated he wants to charge more and more and more (I'm paraphrasing).  No prices will drop unless (or until) people stop booking.  I'm hoping when they start getting their credit card bills in and start needing to pay back their student loans (in the US) that maybe some normalcy will return to pricing.  

this may have been raised in this long thread, but airlines are reporting declines in bookings across the airline specrum. Some of that has to overlay overall cruises.

I agree with your comment about cc debt, but everywhere you look now use of credit has kept businesses alive as well as consumer .the spike in travel after the lockdown is evening out now, a reversion to the mean. Higher interest rates one reason and financially speaking a significant sell off in the stock and bond markets would, IMO,  have a greater adverse effect on travel than high credit card debt.

If cruise bookings do decline, the travel companis have a huge fixed cost to cover. Its a vicioous cycle.

Airlines have cut back on equipment to keep full occupancy but how easy is it for cruise lines to follow that strategy especially with higher prices.

I still feel more comfortable when I feel I get good value for what we spend.

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

We are Elite Plus so have been very loyal to Celebrity. We have always loved the product and, while disappointed with some of the cost cutting measures like no champagne at embarkation, increased specialty dining prices, and elimination of trivia prizes, we have just shrugged off those changes. However, between the recent vaping debacle and the elimination of personal butlers, Celebrity has now really, really rubbed me the wrong way.  I am angry at the complete lack of communication to this "bait and switch" and their not offering ANY gesture of goodwill to help compensate for a major perk they prominently advertised and have taken away for my two 2024 cruises in a Sky Suite. Plus, we are now locked into nonrefundable deposits (that they coincidentally just increased recently). Not a good business decision to piss off loyal customers as I will no longer tout this line to my friends as I have in the past and I will absolutely look at other vacation options given the price point of suites. As others have said, do we really need a butler? No, but that is not the point. We had budgeted carefully for the past 2 years and thought long and hard about where to spend our vacation dollars. At $500pp per night [$1000 daily per couple] --more than double the price of a veranda-- that is a lot of money for our upcoming 2 cruises in a Sky Suite. Also, with All-Included, we really don't benefit from most of the Elite Plus perks we earned. We are not demanding customers but, for that kind of money we do expect a certain level of "pampering" (i.e. good food, anticipation of needs, prompt service, twice daily housekeeping, etc.) and a relatively seamless vacation. For the same amount of money we could have very easily booked a five-star hotel instead. Yes, I know these are "elitist-sounding" first-world problems but I hate feeling ripped off.

We agree!   Approaching Z, all in suites.  There really are not many benefits for EP who sail in suites.  As Celebrity's most loyal travelers, you'd think they'd come up with something to address this disconnect.    

• Like 2

I compare this change to if my housekeeper stopped coming to my home and instead, a random housekeeper showed up each week. They wouldn't know my personal preferences and how I like things done. It would be far less personalized service and more generalized, such as at a hotel when you only stay for one night. I've only sailed on Celebrity once, and in a sky suite, and our butler got to know our preferences quickly but it took about 15 minutes of questions and back-and-forth information being exchanged until he understood what mattered most to us and what didn't. Unless the butler team takes copious notes and each butler references those notes the moment a passenger calls for service, then  it's simply not going to be personalized and feel even close to being the same as before. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm imagining (and I may be giving to much credit) that whichever butler you meet first will enter notes onto a tablet (like an iPad) and that each butler will have one, which each suite's preferences noted, and additional preferences added as appropriate. 

I've also been known to be wrong a time or two. 

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm imagining (and I may be giving to much credit) that whichever butler you meet first will enter notes onto a tablet (like an iPad) and that each butler will have one, which each suite's preferences noted, and additional preferences added as appropriate. 

I've also been known to be wrong a time or two. 

We are Zenith members of the Captain's Club who travel in Sky and Celebrity Suites.  We have yet to have a butler show up at our stateroom with a tablet .....

• Like 5

I got my phone call last evening in response to the email to Executive Office and was assured that after 23 years cruising with Celebrity nothing will change in regard to my on board experience. All my needs whatever they may be (they are little) will be met and I was given an email to contact should my Edge 40 night cruise not live up to expectations.. There was no swaying the lady from her views but she was interested in what I said (or appeared to be)

• Like 3

Update from Apex. We’re on board now. According to our butler, Sky Suites will no longer have butlers. This change will be effective on Apex as of 21 August 2023. Our butler is amongst those being sent home. What remains unclear is how the Retreat concierge team will handle their increased workload. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Update from Apex. We’re on board now. According to our butler, Sky Suites will no longer have butlers. This change will be effective on Apex as of 21 August 2023. Our butler is amongst those being sent home. What remains unclear is how the Retreat concierge team will handle their increased workload. 

Just to be clear about your post.  Are you suggesting there will be no Retreat TEAM for Sky Suites?  Otherwise it’s just a confirmation of the existing conversation of butlers being renamed not eliminated.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Just to be clear about your post.  Are you suggesting there will be no Retreat TEAM for Sky Suites?  Otherwise it’s just a confirmation of the existing conversation of butlers being renamed not eliminated.

Thanks.

I’m suggesting nothing. I’m STATING that nothing has been confirmed TO ME about how the SS butler functions will be handled, or not. Keep in mind that I’m on holiday. I’ve neither time nor inclination to read numerous pages of digressions on this thread. I’m merely reporting what I’ve learned on board, as I said I would do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I got my phone call last evening in response to the email to Executive Office and was assured that after 23 years cruising with Celebrity nothing will change in regard to my on board experience. All my needs whatever they may be (they are little) will be met and I was given an email to contact should my Edge 40 night cruise not live up to expectations.. There was no swaying the lady from her views but she was interested in what I said (or appeared to be)

I received my call as well last night. Surprised as I didn't expect to receive one. I wasn't given a number to call, but was told to bring it to management on the ship if I wasn't happy. Unless a member of the team is really out of line, I don't see me complaining to management as its not the teams fault that they were put into that position. I would complain about the change to the team concept, just not the person.

I was very polite on the call, poor gal isn't a decision maker. She took copies notes on her computer as I was talking, she had me pause here and there so she could take down accurate notes. That gives me the impression that someone is interested in what we are saying.

I asked about Butlers being caught up in a RIF and she said no that all of the existing butlers still have jobs, those that were not kept in a butler role was absorbed into a different department. I do hope that is true.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We board the Apex on Aug. 21 for our 25th anniversary. Not looking forward to this transition starting on our cruise. Of course, we will deal with it and still have a great trip. This is our first Celebrity cruise and we were really looking forward to trying out Celebrity now that we are empty nesters. Thought it might be our new cruise line. However, we most likely won’t book Celebrity again since they removed a key amenity waaaaay after final payment. And with no intention of notifying us of it either.

Of course, I am sad so many crew members are losing their jobs. Plus, I fear the remaining crew are going to be under attack when people find out they no longer have access to a personal butler. It isn’t the crew’s fault, but they will get the blame and anger. Yikes! I’m not looking forward to the tension on this cruise. Plus the disorganization as crew figure out a new system and new roles.

On the cruise, we will figure out how to tip (if we do) the team butlers (if there actually are any). We have tipped our butlers on NCL, and I admit I don’t want to tip a team of them. The extra gratuity was to thank them for personalized service. However, I don’t want to not tip them since this situation isn’t their fault. Sigh. . . We will just see how it goes. I am concerned that the retreat team butlers are less experienced. Tipping would motivate them to continue to improve, however, if they don’t receive extra tips, then I am worried that service from the team will decline instead of improve.

For anyone still reading, I apologize for such a long post! Guess I needed to vent!

Edited by rwf1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, rwf1 said:

We board the Apex on Aug. 21 for our 25th anniversary. Not looking forward to this transition starting on our cruise. Of course, we will deal with it and still have a great trip. This is our first Celebrity cruise and we were really looking forward to trying out Celebrity now that we are empty nesters. Thought it might be our new cruise line. However, we most likely won’t book Celebrity again since they removed a key amenity waaaaay after final payment. And with no intention of notifying us of it either.

Of course, I am sad so many crew members are losing their jobs. Plus, I fear the remaining crew are going to be under attack when people find out they no longer have access to a personal butler. It isn’t the crew’s fault, but they will get the blame and anger. Yikes! I’m not looking forward to the tension on this cruise.

On the cruise, we will figure out how to tip (if we do) the team butlers (if there actually are any). We have tipped our butlers on NCL, and I admit I don’t want to tip a team of them. The extra gratuity was to thank them for personalized service. However, I don’t want to not tip them since this situation isn’t their fault. Sigh. . . We will just see how it goes. I am concerned that the retreat team butlers are less experienced. Tipping would motivate them to continue to improve, however, if they don’t receive extra tips, then I am worried that service from the team will decline instead of improve.

For anyone still reading, I apologize for such a long post! Guess I needed to vent!

With going in with a negative attitude how can you have a great time 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I’m suggesting nothing. I’m STATING that nothing has been confirmed TO ME about how the SS butler functions will be handled, or not. Keep in mind that I’m on holiday. I’ve neither time nor inclination to read numerous pages of digressions on this thread. I’m merely reporting what I’ve learned on board, as I said I would do.

I find the best way to confirm information is to ask the person who posted it.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwf1 said:

Of course, I am sad so many crew members are losing their jobs. Plus, I fear the remaining crew are going to be under attack when people find out they no longer have access to a personal butler. It isn’t the crew’s fault, but they will get the blame and anger. Yikes! I’m not looking forward to the tension on this cruise. Plus the disorganization as crew figure out a new system and new roles.

Celebrity website say’s don’t tip them.  But maybe they’d appreciate a jar of Grey Poupon?

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I’m not sure you told us anything??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

With going in with a negative attitude how can you have a great time 🤔

This appears to be the prevailing attitude of a lot of posters with upcoming cruises….anticipating the worst, and not willing to believe it might be the opposite.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We have had three different Royal Genie’s and have sailed X Sky Suites 7 times. Here is my comparison:

There is no comparison. The Royal Genie’s are exceptionally personalized. They typically only have 3 or 4 cabins, offer pre cruise communication seeking out your likes/dislikes, what beverages you want in your suite, any celebrations, etc. once onboard they are “all-in” if you want them to be. They check in a couple times a day, handle any specialty restaurant reservations, room service, etc. They often have “surprise” food/items delivered. We have done the genie with a party of 8 and everyone has access to the genie for anything they may want. They meet you at the shows and bring you to the reserved Star Class seats, which are typically in the first few rows, but they will put you anywhere you want to be. The last time we had one in 2022, we set up a group in WhatsApp and all communication was done that way, with almost instant response.

As with X, the price of Star Class has increased dramatically and is now out of our “value” zone. I’m 2022 on Harmony of the Seas, we had the 4-bedroom Villa Suite for the 8 of us, at less than $350pppd. Now it’s double. 

mac_tlc

Mac_tlc is right. You can't compare a Genie to a butler. We sailed in the Royal Loft on Anthem last year for 14 nights and the Genie contact started before you cruise. Genies make things happen beyond your cabin on the large RCL ships which makes a difference and are more akin to a personal assistant on your cruise. It does spoil you. Personally we found the Genie experience more relaxed than the formality associated with butlers on other cruise lines. Going to a show, the Genie has your seat reserved where you wanted not just the reserved section and preferred drinks waiting. What stops me booking again is the Royal Loft is the only Star class suite with a bath and it is pure luck if you can book the Royal Loft. It is a different experience from our prior Celebrity cruises, but no less enjoyable. 

As for Celebrity. I have read this thread over the last few days. Not sailed Celebrity since 2018 as our 2020 and 21 cruises cancelled with the pandemic and we couldn't enter the USA. Now our son is grown and doesn't holiday with us, we have dropped down from an RS to a Aqua SS on Beyond in a couple of weeks. From the comments I am glad we booked our two 2024 cruises in NCL Haven and 2025 on Viking river cruise. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, clojacks said:

This appears to be the prevailing attitude of a lot of posters with upcoming cruises….anticipating the worst, and not willing to believe it might be the opposite.

Make a list of benefits.  Then make a list of which benefits were taken away because Celebrity is struggling financially.  I have one year and a half to think about this.