Bringing Hard Cider Onboard from Sydney, Nova Scotia Port

16 minutes ago, tippycupcakes said:

Would we be able to bring a 500ml bottle of hard cider back onboard with us or is that a no-no?

It depends on the security staff at the screening station when getting back on board - assume you can get on with it but don't argue if denied.

Edited by Biker19

They may take it and hold it until the end of the cruise or maybe just let it go. I remember years ago DH saw a bottle of wine at one port (I think it was Canada) that he hadn’t seen in years so bought it. I fully expected to hand it over when we boarded but we were just waived back onto the ship. 

• Like 1

What is hard cider? Hard Cider is apple juice that has gone through a fermentation process in which its sugars have turned into alcohol. Just as wine is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented grape juice, hard cider is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented apple juice.

"Hard Cider(US) or Cider is widely available in the United Kingdom (particularly in the West Country and the Republic of Ireland. The UK has the world's highest per capita consumption, as well as the largest cider-producing companies. Ciders from the South West of England are generally higher in alcoholic content. In the U.S., varieties of fermented cider are called hard cider to distinguish alcoholic cider from non-alcoholic apple cider or "sweet cider", also made from apples. In Canada, cider cannot contain less than 2.5% or over 13% absolute alcohol by volume"

15 hours ago, 4hunters said:

Nope.  Apple juice is made from the entire apple, skin and all.  Apple cider is made from the apple flesh itself - no skin.  😉

Cider in Britain is made from the whole apple. I didn't realise that US Cider is made from Apple Juice. Won't stop me drinking it tho 😆

Living in Pennsylvania, in the USA, I've been to multiple cider presses in local, rural areas.  I can assure you that, at least here, the apples being made into cider were used skin and all. Apples were poured into the vat unwashed, unchecked for worms, bugs, etc. and then squished by a wooden cider press.  The liquid then drained out of the bottom of the press and through a sieve (but not a filter) to trap large pieces of anything.  And then put in a jar. 

At least that's how I've seen it done.  Seeing the condition of the apples going into the press somewhat made me no longer have the desire to drink cider.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:22 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

Living in Pennsylvania, in the USA, I've been to multiple cider presses in local, rural areas.  I can assure you that, at least here, the apples being made into cider were used skin and all. Apples were poured into the vat unwashed, unchecked for worms, bugs, etc. and then squished by a wooden cider press.  The liquid then drained out of the bottom of the press and through a sieve (but not a filter) to trap large pieces of anything.  And then put in a jar. 

At least that's how I've seen it done.  Seeing the condition of the apples going into the press somewhat made me no longer have the desire to drink cider.

Good point.  Also includes apples picked up off the ground.  Still tasted great though, especially when hot fresh donuts were also available.

In Atlantic Canada, most people consider "cider" to be the non-alcoholic one that is seasonal and available around fall/Xmas.  It is really a spiced apple cider with cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe some other spices.  It is usually sold in the refrigerated produce section. It is normally served warm.

Alcoholic cider is starting to be come very popular here, but the makers and liquor stores don't really label them "hard cider", it is still just "cider".

DH has always been a cider drinker, he rarely drinks any kind of beer always prefers pints of cider when he is out. I remember the first time we visited the US back in the 80s he looked for cider everywhere we went but never found it. Nowadays it seems to be a bit more common but still not much choice compared to the UK and other European countries. 

• Like 1