Opening balcony dividers

We have 3 balcony cabins all booked right next to each other on the Odyssey in a few months. They are not connecting rooms which fine because it's all adults. Will they allow us to at least open the balcony dividers for all 3 rooms? or does it have to be connecting rooms only?

Just now, nolegirl01 said:

Will they allow us to at least open the balcony dividers for all 3 rooms? or does it have to be connecting rooms only?

They will definitely allow it (we’ve done the same thing twice on extended family cruises). However, that was Oasis class. Just have to make sure the dividers can be opened on Odyssey unless you already know (I’m not familiar with Q-class). I know they physically can’t be opened on some ships.

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

They will definitely allow it (we’ve done the same thing twice on extended family cruises). However, that was Oasis class. Just have to make sure the dividers can be opened on Odyssey unless you already know (I’m not familiar with Q-class). I know they physically can’t be opened on some ships.

Oh good to know! I have no idea either! This is our first time on the Odyssey.

6 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Oh good to know! I have no idea either! This is our first time on the Odyssey.

We have had balcony dividers opened on Anthem, a sister of Odyssey so yes it is possible.  There are however always a few exceptions due to firewalls, etc but chances are good you should be able to open them all up.

9 minutes ago, akcruz said:

We have had balcony dividers opened on Anthem, a sister of Odyssey so yes it is possible.  There are however always a few exceptions due to firewalls, etc but chances are good you should be able to open them all up.

Thanks! I wonder how we can tell on the deck plans if it has a firewall... with our luck we'll get there and we can't open it lol

Edited by nolegirl01

2 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

Thanks! I wonder how we can tell on the deck plans if it has a firewall... with our luck we'll get there and we can't open it lol

You can by looking at the deckplans.  Here is a snip of deck 11, the larger gap between 11188 and 11190 is where a firewall is located.  Check the deck you are on for gaps that look like that.

image.png.d3391ec469cae1d1b6d144c5f94d333f.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

You can by looking at the deckplans.  Here is a snip of deck 11, the larger gap between 11188 and 11190 is where a firewall is located.  Check the deck you are on for gaps that look like that.

Oh nice I appreciate it! Our room is the equivalent of 11190 on that deckplan and our families are on 11192, and 11194 so we are golden. Thanks for the help! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Thanks for the info that is helpful for future bookings

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I never knew to look for this. 
what an awesome tip

Thank You

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Great tip, I never knew. I just booked the Odyssey yesterday, and fortunately it looks like both of our cabins are on one side of a firewall. Not a huge deal, but it does add a little fun to have the balconies open. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Mind blown, thanks for that tip

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Be aware that the captain may or may not approve balcony dividers being opened. 

Opening dividers between parties travelling together, if requested, is standard practise on any ship I've cruised on, bar those that don't physically open. Why might a captain not approve their opening?

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Opening dividers between parties travelling together, if requested, is standard practise on any ship I've cruised on, bar those that don't physically open. Why might a captain not approve their opening?

I don't know all of the reasons but potential weather or rough seas could be one of them. Well, actually two of them. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

NCL policy is to not open the dividers, citing fire hazard.  I believe other cruise lines might also have similar policy.  Sooo... I suppose a possible reason a captain may have is that it is a fire danger.  

(All those of you who want to cry BS on the fire safety issue, don't attack me, I'm simply the messenger here.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

NCL policy is to not open the dividers, citing fire hazard.  I believe other cruise lines might also have similar policy.  Sooo... I suppose a possible reason a captain may have is that it is a fire danger.  

(All those of you who want to cry BS on the fire safety issue, don't attack me, I'm simply the messenger here.)

Too bad NCL doesn't allow it, we have 6-8 cabins together every summer and the "outside deck" is one of our favorite parts of the trip

On 8/30/2023 at 12:33 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Too bad NCL doesn't allow it, we have 6-8 cabins together every summer and the "outside deck" is one of our favorite parts of the trip

Stewards may open the dividers in an attempt to get a larger tip and get in your good graces, but it has also been mentioned that if he/she gets caught doing so they will be dismissed.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Hmmm, I was under the impression that that space was some sort of utility chase. We have intentionally booked cabins on one side or the other of that space figuring the utility chase would provide a sound barrier from the cabin on the other side. I have seen narrow doors in the hallway that have utilities in them.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:07 PM, time4u2go said:

Sorry, I am having trouble today with the quote and editing for a responding to thread. 

Depending on how this is posted,  time4u2go  is not the one posting.

Besides, weather, rough seas, and fire hazards, I have read that only a certain number of balconies may be opened at a time.  Something to do with the wind moving along the ship and steering?

There is also a matter of noise control. Other passengers do not want to listen to a party.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:07 PM, time4u2go said:

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Stewards may open the dividers in an attempt to get a larger tip and get in your good graces, but it has also been mentioned that if he/she gets caught doing so they will be dismissed.

Why bother putting openable dividers on the ships if they won't allow them to be opened? (Semi-rhetorical question)

3 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

Why bother putting openable dividers on the ships if they won't allow them to be opened? (Semi-rhetorical question)

Cleaning.  Easier to open the doors and hose down a bunch of balconies in one pass, rather than having to go into each stateroom individually and worry about passing the hose to each balcony.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

Fire safety (which is actually the main reason they are there, not for passenger convenience).  After the Star Princess fire, they became mandatory on future builds.

• Like 1