LUNCH IN DINING ROOM

victory2020

3 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Another question, do they serve there on embarkation day? 

NO

Waves  & the Terrace   also some snacks   in Barristas

We usually eat ashore before heading to the port  to miss the  chaos 

• Like 3

I believe they stopped doing lunch in the GDR on port days in 2015 or 16. Not enough demand to make it worth while to staff the kitchen or dining area. There may well be quite a few that never, or rarely, get off the ships, but not enough to warrant keeping the GDR open at lunchtime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Thank you.  

Which of the Specialty Restaurants on Vista charge a fee? Or are they all included?

There is  a private dining area in Polo & Toscana   I believe  they have a fee 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Thank you.  

Which of the Specialty Restaurants on Vista charge a fee? Or are they all included?

Nothing O markets as a "specialty restaurant" charges a fee, even on extra visits: Jacques, Toscana, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Ember, Aquamar.  (Vista doesn't have a Jacques 😪 ).

O  does have another category: "private dining", which does.  3 figures per, I think.

Lastly, everything bigger than the R-class (Regatta, Insignia, Nautica, and Sirena) has a classroom kitchen where you eat your cooking lessons.  $89 per.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:35 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

I like eating lunch in the Grand Dining Room but I've never seen it open on port days. Regrettably. 

Ditto. That is the thing we loved most about Crystal.

But we found a very good alternative to the GDR for lunch:  Waves. It is legit the best outdoor grill type lunch venue on any cruise line we have tried. Also, as an alternate to the buffet, Oceania has the best room service pizza we've had, too. But it is definitely a personal preference thing. If you like super thin crust. St. Louis style pizza, perhaps.

On 9/15/2023 at 1:02 PM, pinotlover said:

I believe they stopped doing lunch in the GDR on port days in 2015 or 16. Not enough demand to make it worth while to staff the kitchen or dining area. There may well be quite a few that never, or rarely, get off the ships, but not enough to warrant keeping the GDR open at lunchtime.

On Insignia last month, the GDR was open for lunch on about half of our port days. Itinerary was Iceland/Greenland/Canada. It wasn't due to late arrivals, so not sure why -- but it was appreciated. 

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

On Insignia last month, the GDR was open for lunch on about half of our port days. Itinerary was Iceland/Greenland/Canada. It wasn't due to late arrivals, so not sure why -- but it was appreciated. 

If there are limited  restaurant ashore   then maybe the  GDR  is open for lunches ??

Just a guess

• Like 2

How about “Their Ship, Their Way? Perhaps Oceania looks at multiple deciding factors before making a decision on this issue. Perhaps there is no iron fist rule on any of the decisions to be open or closed. What is this obsession with iron class rules or procedures?

How about this: You’re on vacation, go with the flow! Then make a monumental move for many and….. Read the Currents!

If my plans includes a terrific lunch ashore, I could care less if the GDR is open for lunch. So my question is “ Does having the GDR open for lunch affect others shore excursion plans? “ If so, how many of those are there? 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 4:50 PM, pinotlover said:

How about “Their Ship, Their Way? Perhaps Oceania looks at multiple deciding factors before making a decision on this issue. Perhaps there is no iron fist rule on any of the decisions to be open or closed. What is this obsession with iron class rules or procedures?

How about this: You’re on vacation, go with the flow! Then make a monumental move for many and….. Read the Currents!

If my plans includes a terrific lunch ashore, I could care less if the GDR is open for lunch. So my question is “ Does having the GDR open for lunch affect others shore excursion plans? “ If so, how many of those are there? 

We rarely had lunch on board on port days. Too many food adventures for on shore.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, victory2020 said:

Another question, do they serve there on embarkation day? 

Every cruise we'd taken, the answer is "NO".😃

On 9/15/2023 at 8:35 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

I like eating lunch in the Grand Dining Room but I've never seen it open on port days. Regrettably. 

Do you like all your meals in the GDR? If you do, I'm curious why.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you like all your meals in the GDR? If you do, I'm curious why.

I'm curious why you reopened a thread that has been inactive for over 7 months.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm curious why you reopened a thread that has been inactive for over 7 months.

Just deleted. Still curious though 🙂