Advice on Celebrity booking with big box TA

patty1955

Over a year ago, we booked a cruise that included Mumbai. After researching the ports, we decided to change it to a Singapore to Tokyo cruise. I called our big box TA and asked to have our deposit changed to the new cruise and they changed it immediately. While we were settling the cruise specifics, I asked if this would include the AI. She said that it would and it was included on our invoice. Since then I’ve never seen any indication on the Celebrity website that the AI was included but we’ve had that issue before and it’s never been a problem. The new cruise has been sold out for several months now.

Last week I called to have a FCC applied to the payment. While verifying the booking, the agent said something about us not having any perks. I told her that we had the AI package and it was memorialized in our invoice. She repeated that we didn’t have any perks and I told her that wasn’t acceptable. She did some research and came back and said the booking didn’t include the perks and that was why it “was so cheap”. I told her that we had a problem with that and she referred it up to a manager. I talked to the manager yesterday who told me that since the drink package cost over $2000, she was going to have a problem getting this resolved. She verified that she listened to the original phone call and I did ask about the AI and it was supposed to be included. She wanted to know if we would be willing to be flexible with the perks before she took it to the next level. I told her since we were Elite Plus, the internet wasn’t that important but we wanted the drink package and gratuities. She asked if we’d be willing to pay for our drinks on the ship and submit our folio for reimbursement after the cruise. The reimbursement would be limited to the classic drink package amounts. I told her I’d think about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we should navigate this situation? I firmly believe in honey rather than vinegar but I don’t want to lose what we thought we paid for. Would it help to get the Captain's Club involved?

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

Did you get a copy of the booking confirmation directly from Celebrity? Not the TA issued invoice, the actual document on Celebrity letterhead?

I haven't received on of those in years. At least the last 4 or 5 Celebrity cruises it's been missing.

I am impressed that your TA had the records to verify the mistake.  Since my wife and I don't drink much, I would accept their reimbursement offer--although I think they should front some of the money in the form of OBC.  However that may not be satisfactory for you.

What did they say about the gratuities?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am impressed that your TA had the records to verify the mistake.  Since my wife and I don't drink much, I would accept their reimbursement offer--although I think they should front some of the money in the form of OBC.  However that may not be satisfactory for you.

What did they say about the gratuities?

She didn't mention the gratuities so I don't think it's a problem.

The big box TA is known for their customer service (think accepting a used Christmas tree for a refund) so I'm surprised they're negotiating instead of just fixing it. 

• Like 2

Celebrity would not be involved in this.  This is directly between you and the Big Box TA.  They have the phone call and it is verified this was what you were told.  You're going to have to fight them it seems as it is an error on there part overall.  I would not want to pay out front and then expect reimbursement from them at all, doubt you would be able to get it unless you have a contract in hand.  

• Like 5

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I definitely would want the drink reimbursement wording in writing…they may want to offer you a gift card…

Whatever they offer will have to be in writing. If that's what they offer, I have lots of questions, especially if the reimbursement would included the drink's gratuities. 

I would push back a little harder. It is their mistake and you’re willing to compromise and forego the wifi.

If the reimbursement is for the limit of the Classic package and your order a $13 glass of wine will they reimburse the $10 + gratuity without question.  What about wine or cappuccino, in the dining, most charges just list date, venue and amount.  In the dining room a charge could be for a filet or 2nd lobster or a glass of wine.  Is there a limit of how much they will reimburse in total ?  

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

I would push back a little harder. It is their mistake and you’re willing to compromise and forego the wifi.

If the reimbursement is for the limit of the Classic package and your order a $13 glass of wine will they reimburse the $10 + gratuity without question.  What about wine or cappuccino, in the dining, most charges just list date, venue and amount.  In the dining room a charge could be for a filet or 2nd lobster or a glass of wine.  Is there a limit of how much they will reimburse in total ?  

Thank you. Those are good questions for me to ask. 

I've thought about just asking for OBC to pay for drinks but I have no idea how much to ask for. 

Isn't part of the reason for a drink package that it limits the cost you spend on drinks?  While $2k is a lot for them to lay out, I would think they would rather pay the flat rate of that, then be on the hook to reimburse you potentially more than that!   If you have 4 drinks a day at $10 each, plus 2 coffees and a smoothie and 3 bottles of water, that can add up to more than they would spend in just giving you the beverage package and being done with it!

Especially since they are not giving you the wifi also, they are already saving money on what was their mistake.  

I'm glad they listened to the recorded phone call. Did they review their copy of the invoice since you have an invoice that states you have AI?  I know our Big Box invoices always spell sout what we have but we usually book onboard and transfer it.

I would continue to politely push. What would a drink package cost for your cruise if you booked on the Celebrity website? Can you ask for OBC to cover that? Gratuities? Internet?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

I'm glad they listened to the recorded phone call. Did they review their copy of the invoice since you have an invoice that states you have AI?  I know our Big Box invoices always spell sout what we have but we usually book onboard and transfer it.

I would continue to politely push. What would a drink package cost for your cruise if you booked on the Celebrity website? Can you ask for OBC to cover that? Gratuities? Internet?

Drink packages are discounted in the Cruise Planner.  If the TA OBC isn’t available until the OP is on the ship then the drink package will cost more.  This TA stopped providing OBC a few years back and now give their gift card.  The TA may not be able or want to do OBC.  

44 minutes ago, scrapcreator said:

I've got multiple invoices from the TA  including one I got yesterday and they all include the AI package.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I'm still not sure I would accept their offer. It sounds like it may just be more headache to deal with after the cruise. 

I agree. I'm just not sure what recourse we have. We're not going to sue over this and we are going to continue to shop in their warehouse stores. 

9 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I've got multiple invoices from the TA  including one I got yesterday and they all include the AI package.

First - I am very sorry for your troubles. I would continue to fight but take it up the ladder to the executive office. Your TA should be fighting harder for you especially since they have the invoices which states AI included. I know its a personal choice but Celebrity usually doesn't let the customer make any changes only the TA when booked thru a TA. Good Luck I hope this gets resolved quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

First - I am very sorry for your troubles. I would continue to fight but take it up the ladder to the executive office. Your TA should be fighting harder for you especially since they have the invoices which states AI included. I know its a personal choice but Celebrity usually doesn't let the customer make any changes only the TA when booked thru a TA. Good Luck I hope this gets resolved quickly.

It appears to be a TA mistake where Celebrity is not involved.  I would continue to push back on the TA using their invoice as the leverage.  That's the "contract" they have made with you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

It appears to be a TA mistake where Celebrity is not involved.  I would continue to push back on the TA using their invoice as the leverage.  That's the "contract" they have made with you.

Definity a TA mistake, which they admit. I'm sure they'll "make it right", I just want to make sure they make it right for me not them.

Sorry to hear about your situation andI would push harder to receive what you booked. The TA company has the resources to cover their mistake. I use them when I sail on lines they book with and always ask for the cruise lines "Booking Conformation - Guest  Copy". They will need to contact a supervisor to release it but it does show you exactly what the cruise line has for the booking including OBC. Some of the info included with your perks may not fully populate, but it is better to have that info than not. I look at the Booking  Conformation while on the phone with the TA and resolve any discrepancies at that time. If you are a RCL shareholder, you can request your OBC and when approved they will send an updated Booking Conformation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

Definity a TA mistake, which they admit. I'm sure they'll "make it right", I just want to make sure they make it right for me not them.

I have to agree with others -- I would press the TA to correct the mistake now. A promise to reimburse you after the cruise is too vague and open to all kinds of interpretations.

• Like 3

They are not going to reimburse after the cruise, that’s nonsense. Don’t believe that for a second. Once you sail on that cruise their transaction with you is done, they are just a third party broker, there is no reason for them to continue servicing the booking. Even for those who have a direct issue with Celebrity once you walk off that ship the likelihood of seeing any sort of price adjustment or refund drops dramatically. 

So the problem is you thought you had all included but they also didn’t charge you for it? And can’t add it back to the booking now, or that you don’t want to pay the extra for it? You can’t threaten cancellation because it’s sold out, right? It’s going to be difficult imo because you didn’t actually pay for AI so they can’t just give that to you free. I agree with the OBC angle for your trouble and that’s something they should be able to manage. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 1

I had a car rental issue with them a few years ago in which the car rental company moved my pickup from the airport location to one a few miles away on the day I was traveling.  The warehouse people reimbursed me for the cab ride to get to the new location, even though this was not their fault.  It came on a store card.  So, they do have a mechanism in place to do reimbursements and it was all relatively painless (I just provided a cab receipt and they rounded up to the nearest $5 mark with what they sent me).

My guess is that the manager thinks you won't spend more than the drink package costs & it will be easier to resolve by going through this reimbursement route without triggering any additional approval threshold.  I can see pros and cons of doing that, the biggest con being that you have to keep up with it and submit paperwork afterwards.  I'd probably insist that the manager go ahead and escalate it to see what someone with higher authority can do.