Night Light

bubbachief

We used to bring light sticks for our kids when they were small.  They're a perfect night light -- just enough glow for a child to feel he or she has "something", even enough light to walk to the bathroom, but not enough to wake someone else. 

You can buy light sticks at the Dollar Store or in larger quantities on Amazon.  Buy a couple extras because every now and then you get a dud.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

I buy battery operated tea lights, use them at home during power outages.

We do the same. I also have a small, soft rubber suction cup "Toothbrush" holder that holds the tea light perfectly. I suction cup it to the mirror and place the tea light in it. The reflection of the tea light in the mirror gives plenty of light in the bathroom, and one tea light lasts for a 7 day cruise (if you turn it off during the day). Easy to pack, inexpensive, and does a good job for the intended purpose. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

We usually just leave the bathroom light on and crack the door open by about an inch.  Makes it easy to find the bathroom and you can see obstructions in the cabin as well as having the bathroom lit already.  But, it isn't too bright to sleep with.

Thats what i do also . 

The Harmony has a night light built into the bathroom bright enough so you dont have to turn the main light on. Found this worked well with the door open slightly .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GJustice said:

That's what I recall. We carry an "electric candle" that works well. Like a tea light, but taller/round like a real candle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HF458HE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

We have those also. Does it light up the bathroom enough to find the toilet?

11 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

The item in the link appears to be just a tea light in a bigger housing. A tea light most certainly provides enough light to find the toilet. You could purchase a dozen tea lights for the price they are asking for the :electric candle" in the link above. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Just get a cheap little tea light or a tap light.  We have a puck sized tap light that we use on the older ships that don't have a built in nightlight.  The large mirror in the bathroom reflects the light, making it seem brighter.  We have also used a small LED flashlight that I keep on my nightstand.  I use it to get across the dark room without stubbing a toe and then just put it on the counter in the bathroom.  It is actually too bright if I point it towards the mirror in the bathroom.  

On 9/19/2023 at 10:22 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

We have never been on a ship bigger than Freedom class. I don't think the outlet has worked in any of them when the light is off. We always bring a small battery votive candle.

28 minutes ago, bubbachief said:

Great, but does the bathroom light need to be turned on to power the razor outlet?

On every ship we have sailed, when you turn off the bathroom light you also turn off the razor outlet. 

We always bring one of these and position it above the door (it has a magnetic back):

Capture.JPG

I found some magnet night lights on Amazon called Wyze Night Light. They are a three pack and motion sensor light.  You can charge they up them using a USB plug.  Nice soft light and stay on for about a minute.  Work great for both cabin and bathroom night lite.  They were less that $20. 

Vic

50 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

where did you buy that? Battery operated? 

Three AAA batteries. Bought them on Amazon, but they seem to be out of stock now. A quick search on Amazon found quite a few other types available

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clover18 said:

You can always leave the bathroom light on and just crack the door wide enough for the light to come through. 

That doesn't work so well when the ship has some motion to it - unless you enjoy a banging door in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, toxicfairy said:

Battery operated candles make great night lights😉

I used to bring our home bathroom nightlight on trips.  But I always worried I'd leave it.  
So the cruise was my excuse to buy one of those LED candles.  Plus I've stored it someplace handy if electric goes out.  

On 9/18/2023 at 8:31 PM, Ret MP said:

We usually just leave the bathroom light on and crack the door open by about an inch.  Makes it easy to find the bathroom and you can see obstructions in the cabin as well as having the bathroom lit already.  But, it isn't too bright to sleep with.

I do this too.

• Like 1