What happened to awesome cruise experience?

djdavis88

44 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, you must have a different way of thinking about pampering.......to me, it is the whole experience.

Having my bed turned down at night (for example) and having my bed made the next morning........that is all under the pampering experience (for me anyway).  And yes, what you mentioned can be classified under the same category too🙂

Some people say I have a different way of thinking about a lot of things. 🙃

I suppose the whole cruising experience has a lot of pampering to it, but maybe I've taken a lot of it for granted by now?  Turndown service is nice and all, but some cruise lines are pulling back from this, and I'm OK with it.  It's one of the things that I just don't value highly compared to other people.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, you must have a different way of thinking about pampering.......to me, it is the whole experience.

Having my bed turned down at night (for example) and having my bed made the next morning........that is all under the pampering experience (for me anyway).  And yes, what you mentioned can be classified under the same category too🙂

Yes, someone making my bed and cooking my meals is pampering. A variety of different food, options for entertainment... those are pampering to me.

• Like 2

I’ve been cruising since the early 80’s. These days, I just make sure that the next cruise I have booked offers me something new to look forward to. New cruise line, new ship, new destinations. That keeps me excited and looking forward to the next cruise.

• Like 2

I remember my first cruise...just in 2016. How magical it was...walking up that gangplank onto this giant floating machine they called a cruise ship.  The excitement, the discovery, the newness of it all...I remember that first cruise like it was yesterday.  I remember sailing into Nassau...the first 'out of USA' country I'd been since service days in the 70's.  It was so exotic, so thrilling.  It was all new...just being in the Bahamas...like another planet [at the time].  I was traveling the universe.

Ha, Nassau now, after the umpteenth time is sort of 'meh'.  We've been to just about every Caribbean island out there and South and Central American ports to boot.  Each new port, there still is that 'newness' of sorts...but not like that 'first blush'...that first 'cut' as the song goes.  

We still love cruising of course, and as we've enjoyed, it's become more and more about the ships and less and less about the ports.  Even Europe is getting sort of...well...passe'...have done the Rhine, Med, UK, and Baltic [I think we were lucky on the Balic cruise with the Ukraine thing going on].  

Without being too philosophic here, as one grows old, and the experiences accumulate...well, there is always that soft pine for newness...and a continual search, even unto our old age...for it.  But unfortunately, there is more to getting old than one's body, and to find new experience becomes ever more exasperating as time goes [given one's ability and resources].  My father always told me there are three stages to life...to plan, to do, and then, to remember.  Ah...those memories; sometimes I think they are best. 

But we still love cruising, and we look forward to returning, once again, to Nassau next year, for the n+1 time.  And we'll probably be on a ship that looks and feels like so many we've now been on.  And we'll love every minute and consider ourselves profoundly lucky, even blessed, to do so. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

...My father always told me there are three stages to life...to plan, to do, and then, to remember.  Ah...those memories; sometimes I think they are best... 

Interesting.

We always feel that there are three stages to each *trip*!

- Planning it (and all of the thoughts, choices, expectations...);

- The trip itself!!

- Memories of the trip!

That's partly why I prefer trips planned far in advance.

Anything done within a short time frame, I feel like I missed out on the enjoyment of the planning.

GC

• Like 7

10 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

I remember my first cruise...just in 2016. How magical it was...walking up that gangplank onto this giant floating machine they called a cruise ship.  The excitement, the discovery, the newness of it all...I remember that first cruise like it was yesterday.  I remember sailing into Nassau...the first 'out of USA' country I'd been since service days in the 70's.  It was so exotic, so thrilling.  It was all new...just being in the Bahamas...like another planet [at the time].  I was traveling the universe.

I started around 2017, and remember those same feelings. Previously. we had ignored it largely due to public opinion. People really dogged on cruising. How dirty it was, the food was trash, it was boring, everyone was scum. I even knew a few people personally who cruised in the early 2000s and just weren't impressed. We finally gave it a try, and it was the complete opposite (to us at least). What an experience! Perhaps those people all missed the memo that they had access to the most important, pampering, special touches: lobster, twice a day cleaning, and a danish delivered to your room.

If you read these forums, you'd believe that cruising was the gold standard until COVID. Well I'm here to say, the exact same complaints were alive in 2017 when I started cruising, as they are today. Sure, some things aren't as good as they were in 2017. However, some things, are better. 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2023 at 11:17 PM, Szt said:

I’m not as experienced as many of you. My first cruise was in 1991 on Costa. I don’t think they offered drink packages then- or maybe we didn’t know to get one. But the drinks were very pricey. There were not specialty restaurants as I recall and the food was excellent. There was a midnight Buffett every night too. But the ship was horrible, nothing worked right. We were supposed to have the honeymoon package with all these extras we never got. 
Our next cruise was 2000 on RC. There were all the same extra cost there are now. And I remember feeling nickel and dimed then too. 
I choose to see the positives in this. If the cruise lines included all those specialty things, drinks, etc in all tickets sold the cost of cruising would be too high for many people. I like that if I’m not a big drinker or don’t care about “special” restaurants, my cruise costs less. I still have the option to get a more expensive package that does include those things. Or, as others have said, I can go on a higher end line. 
And by the way, NCL and Princess (I think) both offered packages you could buy for unlimited Starbucks. So if that is important, you can have it! 
We will be cruising Celebrity for the first time this fall. We got a zero proof drink package that said it includes specialty coffees. We will see. 

Yea, I'm with you.  We are budget cruisers on fixed income and it's been amazing how we've stretched our resources to travel so much.  People call it 'nickel and diming', but I see it as choices. If one doesn't drink a lot, or eat a lot, or buy a lot, well I prefer [in a big way] the discounted OPTION up front of lower fares...so we get to go.  I can make the 'choices' later on what to indulge or not...with my nickels and dimes, ha.  we are not walmart bunnies, but frugal.  Ha, it's fun in fact, trying to strech the, ahem...pennies [not dollars ha].  By my spreadsheet, we can do maybe two cruises for just one of the 'all inclusive' or 'upper crust' ships [maybe even three].  We do wish we were millionaires, and all power to those who have the mulla...but 'nickel and diming' probably provides the cruise industry with a much larger customer base [uh...like us].  So...think CHOICES...not 'nickels and dimes'. Just sayin'.  OTOH, we do understand the luxury of exclusivity.  Depends I guess on how one 'values' things. Sure, we'd love exclusivity...but first we gotta 'just be there'.  Just a reality I guess.   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LinRon3 said:

Yea, I'm with you.  We are budget cruisers on fixed income and it's been amazing how we've stretched our resources to travel so much.  People call it 'nickel and diming', but I see it as choices. If one doesn't drink a lot, or eat a lot, or buy a lot, well I prefer [in a big way] the discounted OPTION up front of lower fares...so we get to go.  I can make the 'choices' later on what to indulge or not...with my nickels and dimes, ha.  we are not walmart bunnies, but frugal.  Ha, it's fun in fact, trying to strech the, ahem...pennies [not dollars ha].  By my spreadsheet, we can do maybe two cruises for just one of the 'all inclusive' or 'upper crust' ships [maybe even three].  We do wish we were millionaires, and all power to those who have the mulla...but 'nickel and diming' probably provides the cruise industry with a much larger customer base [uh...like us].  So...think CHOICES...not 'nickels and dimes'. Just sayin'.  OTOH, we do understand the luxury of exclusivity.  Depends I guess on how one 'values' things. Sure, we'd love exclusivity...but first we gotta 'just be there'.  Just a reality I guess.   

I call it customization.  

• Like 3

I just binged watch the Love Boat. If cruises ever were really like that, then yes they have changed. I sure wouldn’t want to have to have a gown for dinner every night. I’ve never seen a captain among the passengers that much. And I doubt the cabins have been that big since the titanic.
But I don’t think they were, or at least haven’t been for a very long time. 

Whatever it was, I love cruising the way it is now. You get what you pay for. Went on one cruise with my parents about 25 years ago. They had the biggest suite you can get. I had a tiny interior room. I doubt I will ever be able to afford a suite like that. But it was fun to see how the other half lives. Truthfully, we all had a great cruise no matter our cabin size. 
In 2017 took a cruise with my new husband. He insisted we get a balcony. It was his first cruise. Boy did that make a difference! I will never go back to interior. But I think a lot of perception and needs has to do with age. At 35, interior was fine. I was out and about a lot anyway. At 60 I want a little more comfort in my room so I can quietly enjoy the ocean. So maybe cruising hasn’t changed. Just your perception. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, tw0sugar5 said:

Do any of the mainstream cruise lines still offer soufflé in non-specialty restaurants?  I went on 2 (or was it 3?) where soufflé was offered on the MDR menu.  Also consommé as a non-specialty soup option.

I do know things like lobster were offered at least one night in the MDR. Now some items, even in the MDR have an up charge. 

11 hours ago, tw0sugar5 said:

Do any of the mainstream cruise lines still offer soufflé in non-specialty restaurants?  I went on 2 (or was it 3?) where soufflé was offered on the MDR menu.  Also consommé as a non-specialty soup option.

Princess has souffle on their MDR menu at the embarkation lunch and a few nights a week (always a different flavor).

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:42 AM, tw0sugar5 said:

Both HAL and Princess offer souffles in the MDR.  It can be found as both a starter (such as goat cheese souffle) or a dessert.  I do not recall seeing consommé as a normal item on any cruise line.  

Hank

We would have to book a small luxurious cruise line to have an "awesome" experience.  After 65 cruises on all the major cruise lines, we have become familiar with most offered amenities. Some might say jaded.

We haven't had an awesome experience sailing since maybe our 1st few times on a new cruise line, but we still totally enjoy cruising and have several booked into 2024.  We don't need the "Wow" to have a GREAT time.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We would have to book a small luxurious cruise line to have an "awesome" experience.  After 65 cruises on all the major cruise lines, we have become familiar with most offered amenities. Some might say jaded.

We haven't had an awesome experience sailing since maybe our 1st few times on a new cruise line, but we still totally enjoy cruising and have several booked into 2024.  We don't need the "Wow" to have a GREAT time.

Yea, my point exactly. It's not that one might not appreciate a thing, but more, an observation of existing that we always seek out new things...even if our experiences are sublime [as in cruising].  Older we get, or the more experienced [as in 65 cruises; congrats BTW]...well, I think we have to guard against being jaded you one might say [ahem, ha]...and remind one's self just how good we got it [anyone able to cruise anywhere, anyhow].  Again, we feel...well, blessed.  Thanks.  

• Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, Mary229 said:

I call it customization.  

Eureka!  That is the concept I've been searching for, in defining what luxury is.

Many people seem to focus on the number of Things that make a cruise luxurious/pampering or not. To me, sometimes it's the things that are removed, that indicate to me that the person is truly paying attention to what I want.

I do want a paper daily planner in my cabin, but I do not want towel animals, ice buckets, fruit plate.

In the dining room, I appreciate having my coffee and water topped up when it's time.  I do not want a lobster (ugh) set in front of me along with my vegetarian dinner as "a treat for you", nor ice cream that I did not order.

As long as this good service continues (and it is), and as long as my ship still has access to the sea and sky, I'm happy.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Eureka!  That is the concept I've been searching for, in defining what luxury is.

Many people seem to focus on the number of Things that make a cruise luxurious/pampering or not. To me, sometimes it's the things that are removed, that indicate to me that the person is truly paying attention to what I want.

I do want a paper daily planner in my cabin, but I do not want towel animals, ice buckets, fruit plate.

In the dining room, I appreciate having my coffee and water topped up when it's time.  I do not want a lobster (ugh) set in front of me along with my vegetarian dinner as "a treat for you", nor ice cream that I did not order.

As long as this good service continues (and it is), and as long as my ship still has access to the sea and sky, I'm happy.

Exactly.   What you realize when you read these threads is that for years you have been paying for what others think is great not what you think is needed.  I have been subsidizing all types of activities, foods and services I have no use for.  Give me a base fare and a menu of options any time. 

• Like 2

We might be in the middle of what some would call an "awesome" experience.  We are on the brand new (2 months old) Explora Journey 1 (a new luxury cruise line).  The ship is about 66,000 tons and designed to hold approximately 900 passengers.  But for a host of reasons, our cruise currently has only 241 passengers (and 640 crew)  for a whopping space ratio of 274 tons per person!  We have 5 dining venues onboard that are all open and operating normally, to serve 241.  Truly a once in a lifetime event.  The longest we have ever waited for an elevator was less than 10 seconds!  This morning in their Lido (which can seat several hundred) we only could see 6 other passengers from our table!

Hank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We might be in the middle of what some would call an "awesome" experience.  We are on the brand new (2 months old) Explora Journey 1 (a new luxury cruise line).  The ship is about 66,000 tons and designed to hold approximately 900 passengers.  But for a host of reasons, our cruise currently has only 241 passengers (and 640 crew)  for a whopping space ratio of 274 tons per person!  We have 5 dining venues onboard that are all open and operating normally, to serve 241.  Truly a once in a lifetime event.  The longest we have ever waited for an elevator was less than 10 seconds!  This morning in their Lido (which can seat several hundred) we only could see 6 other passengers from our table!

Hank

Hi Hank, WOW....that does sound pretty awesome😀

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Hank, WOW....that does sound pretty awesome😀

DW calls it somewhat creepy. At times it is like being in a ghost ship.  But the food is among the best we have ever had on any ship and with nearly 3 crew to each passenger…. Tis nutz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 7:36 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Fifty years ago men did not wear jeans during the day nor did they wear tee shirts.

Kind of sobering but 50 years ago was only the 1970's.  Not the dress of professionals of course, but think bell bottoms and tie dyed T shirts!  😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Kind of sobering but 50 years ago was only the 1970's.  Not the dress of professionals of course, but think bell bottoms and tie dyed T shirts!  😀

I wore tie dye tee shirts on our NCL Prima cruise this past August. Took advantage of free style. 😊

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, djdavis88 said:

My husband said last night, while discussing a possible Alaska cruise next….“ I’m just about done with cruising, this Nickel  and diming us is just about over the top.” 
We have been cruising since 1995 and it has changed soooo much, that we are loosing our enthusiasm for cruising. It use to be so price inclusive and feeling pampered, and just a total awesome vacation. Not so much any more. It’s so sad and we don’t know what direction we are going to go in. 🥺.

Not really complaining, we realize the cruise industry lost a lot during the pandemic. I am just sad, really sad. Food has declined, service has declined, paying extra for things that formerly were all included has changed. It’s just not as fun as it was, the “wow” has dissipated. 
Is annyone else sad of what use to be, mourning what once was?

I would separate how I pay (AKA, nickel & dining) from a decline in quality, services, amenities.  Two separate things to me.  Pay as I go isn't a big deal to me.  If I want it I'll buy it. If I don't want it I won't buy it.   On the other hand, a decline in the experience could impact my enjoyment and reduce the value to the point I will no longer want to participate.   I will back track a little and say I'm a little concerned that the ship within a ship concept could get out of hand, especially if large sections of the ship are made exclusive unless one goes all in.  Of course  this is just negative speculation on my part, but I might worry that could very well impact the experience to the point I would consider other options. 

I think we all agree things have declined from where they were 20 years ago, even before the pandemic.  Even though today's product is not the same, the enjoyment is still there for me.  Maybe not the same WOW as way back when, but it is still something to look forward to.  I also still see a lot of value compared to equivalent land trips.    

One thing for sure is we won't return to the old glory days of cruising at today's prices. I feel safe saying I'm paying 30% less today for a balcony than I did 20 years ago for an inside cabin.  I wonder how much cruise lines would have to raise the fares to provide the same experience as back in 1995, including things like the midnight buffets with all the bells and whistles.  Probably quite a lot and folks might not be doing multiple cruises per year at those price levels, IDK.   

• Like 1