Fresh Fish

FlaMariner

Good move by HAL.  We've always enjoyed the fish onboard.....And during our March/April South America cruise, there seemed to be more fish....Delicious.  And I think they were sourcing some along the way.....(You should try it (if you want to)) LOL. 

Here is the link to the info just listed on the HAL website....

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-experiences/dining/fresh-fish?camp=CME:20230920_HEP2342MP3&rmid=20230920_HEP2342MP3&rrid=18964389842&lid=primarycta&XID=EXTHEM20230920MVRJVR9SA3

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Does the special pop-up at $55 includes the service charge or not? Even at around $66, may be worth a try, hopefully they won't limit you to one appetizer and dessert. There also will be additional priced dishes in the MDR, cost not yet announced however.

Appetizers

• Sushi Plate: (Vegetarian can be requested.) Nigiri with salmon, hamachi, hotate, maki with ebi tempura, Dungeness California, salmon shikai maki.
  • Morimoto Fresh Tuna Pizza: Anchovy aioli, kalamata olive, red onion, jalapeno.
  • Tempura Calamari Salad: (Can be served without calamari on request.) Quinoa two ways, white miso dressing.
  • Pork Gyoza Dumpling: Ginger-scallion sauce.
  • Tori Paitan Ramen Noodles Soup: Soy egg, bamboo shoot, hot creamy broth poured at the table.

Main Courses

• Crispy Fried Whole Market Fresh Fish: Sweet spicy chili sauce, pickle vegetables.
  • Ishiyaki Buri Bop: Fresh Pacific yellowtail on rice, cooked at the tableside in a hot stone bowl.
  • Shrimp Three Way “Morimoto Style”: Tempura, panko, arare-age, tartar, tonkatsu and gochujang sauce.
  • Angry Lobster Pad Thai: Maine lobster, rice noodles, Thai red curry sauce.
  • Broiled Beef Tenderloin steak: Japanese-style mushroom sauce.
  • Jidori Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken Oyster Yakitori: Shichimi togarashi.
  • Japanese Vegetables Curry: Tofu steak, seasonal vegetables.

Side Dishes

• House fried rice, steamed rice or brown bice.
  • Wasabi mashed potato.
  • Wok seared bok choy.
  • Basket steamed vegetables.

Desserts

• Dark Chocolate Sphere: Ganache, marshmallow, milk hot chocolate sauce.
  • Tofu Cheesecake: Mango passion, pineapple salsa.
  • White Chocolate Lime Ganache: Coconut foam, mango sorbet, rice pudding.
  • Sorbet and Ice cream or Trio: Chef’s seasonal selection.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Good move by HAL.  We've always enjoyed the fish onboard.....And during our March/April South America cruise, there seemed to be more fish....Delicious.  And I think they were sourcing some along the way.....(You should try it (if you want to)) LOL. 

Here is the link to the info just listed on the HAL website....

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-experiences/dining/fresh-fish?camp=CME:20230920_HEP2342MP3&rmid=20230920_HEP2342MP3&rrid=18964389842&lid=primarycta&XID=EXTHEM20230920MVRJVR9SA3

Hope this is on our TA and Med sailing in Apr 2024 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

"Fresh Dover Sole" in Alaska?  Something smells fishy 🙂

Alaska offerings are in the screenshot.  Sockeye salmon, halibut & Dover Sole.  Alaska has some very good Dover sole and other types of fish.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/wild-alaska-sole#:~:text=Alaska is home to some,Arrowtooth Flounder%2C and Alaska Plaice

IMG_1158.thumb.png.55cc426c14e1eb729c520a4b462ebf55.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

Just off an Alaska Koningsdam cruise and the fish was phenomanal in the MDR. Tried the black cod, salmon and halibut. All were cooked perfectly and very moist. The halibut was particularly outstanding.

We are non-meat eaters, and have been very impressed with HAL's daily fish offerings in the MDR on all our HAL cruises thus far (5 since Covid), but you might be right in Alaska  (and Norway) stood out. High fish expectations for the Med next week 😄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Alaska offerings are in the screenshot.  Sockeye salmon, halibut & Dover Sole.  Alaska has some very good Dover sole and other types of fish.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/wild-alaska-sole#:~:text=Alaska is home to some,Arrowtooth Flounder%2C and Alaska Plaice

IMG_1158.thumb.png.55cc426c14e1eb729c520a4b462ebf55.png

Thanks for posting this - already planning our dining for our cruise next week (went to find the link since your screen shot didn't include the med 😄). As non-meat eaters who love seafood but don't/can't cook the majority of these seafood options - this is really something to really look forward to! (not that we need more to look forward to ..but it's kinda big for us)

• Like 1

This looks like a great addition and positive step forward!  I do think the cost is a bit steep though if the reports are that it is "good".  If it's really "excellent", then I will try it next May on the Zuiderdam.  We shall see!! 😉

• Like 1

I love fresh fish and look forward to it being sourced at the ports, Fresh means not frozen. I found these comments from @CruiserBruce live on the Zaandam thread to be interesting;

Late in our meal, one of the Executive Chef's appeared at out table. We had a nice chat, from which the following was derived. HAL is trying to acquire more "fresh" foods on their cruises where local specialties or supplies exist. For example,  in Halifax we picked up salmon, and tomorrow in Charlottetown, we will pick up mussels.  He said to watch the menu tomorrow night for mussels. 

I asked him about the definition of "fresh", and my understanding that protein needed to be frozen. He sort of deflected, but in the end pretty much agreed the salmon was frozen, but the mussels didn't have to be.

• Like 2

I'm not normally a fan of branded partnerships or celebrity tie-ins, but in Chef Morimoto's case I'll make an exception.  This commitment by HAL to fresh seafood sounds like just the kind of thing I want them to do to continue elevating the on-board experience, and the pop-up menu sounds truly delicious.  This news made me happy!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iceman93 said:

I'm not normally a fan of branded partnerships or celebrity tie-ins, but in Chef Morimoto's case I'll make an exception.  This commitment by HAL to fresh seafood sounds like just the kind of thing I want them to do to continue elevating the on-board experience, and the pop-up menu sounds truly delicious.  This news made me happy!

+1, my thoughts exactly.  Putting emphasis and effort in an area that should pan out well

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

I asked him about the definition of "fresh", and my understanding that protein needed to be frozen. He sort of deflected, but in the end pretty much agreed the salmon was frozen, but the mussels didn't have to be.

Molluscan shellfish (clams, mussels, oysters) in the shell have never needed to be frozen for use on cruise ships.  There are a few hoops to jump through, though, regarding documentation.

The fact is that most fish is flash frozen on the fishing boat, even that sold or marketed as "fresh".  All fish intended for serving in undercooked or uncooked condition (sushi, ceviche), must have been frozen by the supplier to kill parasites.  

Never frozen fish lasts only about 5-10 days, losing quality each day, so I really doubt that HAL is getting fish that has never been frozen, but that the "fresh" marketing means they are sourcing the "frozen onboard" fish from local areas, instead of provisioning it all at the turn-around port.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 0106 said:

I love fresh fish and look forward to it being sourced at the ports, Fresh means not frozen. I found these comments from @CruiserBruce live on the Zaandam thread to be interesting;

Late in our meal, one of the Executive Chef's appeared at out table. We had a nice chat, from which the following was derived. HAL is trying to acquire more "fresh" foods on their cruises where local specialties or supplies exist. For example,  in Halifax we picked up salmon, and tomorrow in Charlottetown, we will pick up mussels.  He said to watch the menu tomorrow night for mussels. 

I was with the Zaandam this summer in Charlottetown and I planned to have mussels for lunch in a local restaurant, but I saw the mussels being delivered and I waited and had them for dinner, delicious.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I was with the Zaandam this summer in Charlottetown and I planned to have mussels for lunch in a local restaurant, but I saw the mussels being delivered and I waited and had them for dinner, delicious.

We really enjoy mussels and PEI mussels are among the best..anywhere.  But there is a reality about mussels.  You can get these, almost anywhere, where they have been kept alive.  A mussel served on PEI, is going to be "fresh" and alive until they are steamed/cooked for your meal.  I can also buy PEI mussels here in PA, and they are also alive which makes them just as "fresh."  As to frozen mussels, no thanks!

By the way, DW reminds me that the best tasting mussels we have ever enjoyed was surprisingly not on PEI, but in Honfleur, France.  Go figure.  That being said, we will soon be back in Charlottetown and you can take a wild guess what we will have for lunch :).

Hank

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

They got so many mussels in Charlottetown yesterday,  that the pasta station in the Lido was converted to a mussels only station for lunch today. This is on Zaandam.

they did the same on zuiderdam earleir this month, but they used one side of what is usually the salad station (or omelet station in the AM!) 

they tasted great, as far as I was concerned! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 0106 said:

You want the salmon to have been frozen.  Salmon is particularly known for having tapeworms.  Unless it is cooked to a high enough temperature or frozen for a long enough period of time, the tapeworm can survive and be passed on to the person who eats it.  Having a tapeworm is not pleasant and the meds to kill it are expensive.

• Like 1