Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

Well my flight to Toronto was late but who cares? I have a ton of time to kill here.

Wonder of wonders the Signature Lounge actually let me in.  (It’s a step up from the regular Maple Leaf Lounge.

It’s “luggage free “ lounge.  First time I’ve heard of that one so they checked my carry on which made me look like an idiot as i unload my 100+ invites to the Meet and Greet. It is what it is.

The food is quite good here.  And the wine is good.  

I am trying not to look at my watch too often - 😂 

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well my flight to Toronto was late but who cares? I have a ton of time to kill here.

Wonder of wonders the Signature Lounge actually let me in.  (It’s a step up from the regular Maple Leaf Lounge.

It’s “luggage free “ lounge.  First time I’ve heard of that one so they checked my carry on which made me look like an idiot as i unload my 100+ invites to the Meet and Greet. It is what it is.

The food is quite good here.  And the wine is good.  

I am trying not to look at my watch too often - 😂 

I hope they were polite when they did that?  Then of course, being Canadians they were! 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My suitcase felt very heavy and I had done the check in saying under 50 pounds.

Normally I pack in my bags downstairs and then bring the suitcase done but Ivan was rambunctious - he knew something was up.  So I did it all upstairs.  Ugh lugging it down.

I forgot how much 150+ name tags and invites and laminated signs added to the weight.    DD DH always did that but it got done elbow and all.  But not until Ivan was gone.  

But back to today.  Signature Lounge is a step above the regular Biz class lounge (or supposed to be).  Certainly the people here are very gracious.  I had to have a sommelier talk when I got my glass of Viognier.  😉. I’m always happy to learn though.  It’s only available on certain classes of flights and destinations.  Sadly DD DH and I had lucked into one when covid hit and the rest is history.

So, since I have a ton of time to kill, I decided to do the a la crate menu.  Quite decent - Here’s the menu.

IMG_1886.thumb.jpeg.88ec942cf27385d78ebdfcbe9b61508a.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I hope they were polite when they did that?  Then of course, being Canadians they were! 😉

They are beyond nice here, Colin.  No table service unless you do the a la carte dinner but what up to the marble bar and they are fantastic.

Also a self serve - haven’t checked that out yet.

oops - I looked at the time again 😂 🤣

• Like 11

And here is what I had:

the salad

IMG_1891.thumb.jpeg.255bdc2fbbca411cf3a6084e5c85b5b7.jpeg

the shrimp (the panko a tad overcooked for me - partially burned on one side) and the sorbet. 

IMG_1892.thumb.jpeg.ab71d1ade2e48e946cf1988997d4c753.jpeg

the sorbet was to die for.

IMG_1898.thumb.jpeg.f87eefaf8d6e648e36204a54e5bfc463.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Jacqui - I'm glad the food and wine are good and that the people are nice. 

Thanks for posting the menu. I'll have the salad and shrimp and the wine 

you're having.  

I wonder why the lounge is "luggage free."

Best wishes.

4 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Jacqui - I'm glad the food and wine are good and that the people are nice. 

Thanks for posting the menu. I'll have the salad and shrimp and the wine 

you're having.  

I wonder why the lounge is "luggage free."

Best wishes.

I found out, Betsy - it’s only for the dining room - to keep the clutter out of the way.  

Good news as I can get mine and get the invite envelopes back in - it did take a bit of manoeuvring 😂 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Doesn't 'jus de citron' sound so, so much better than 'lemon juice'.

Makes you almost want to be French. 😁

There was lemon peel everywhere Colin.  I cut it an enjoyed it all with the sorbet.  Bets thing ever.

Funny story - a lady approached me as I had my bear - yup, I still have the bear.

She brings one from their first date when she met her husband.  So she took a pic of our two teddies together.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I found out, Betsy - it’s only for the dining room - to keep the clutter out of the way.  

Good news as I can get mine and get the invite envelopes back in - it did take a bit of manoeuvring 😂 

Jacqui is Wonder Woman!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

Funny story - a lady approached me as I had my bear - yup, I still have the bear.

She brings one from their first date when she met her husband.  So she took a pic of our two teddies together.

You always throw in a tear jerker!

It is 11.30 pm here on Rotterdam and after 3rd dressy night (BBKings were outrageously good) and chocolate surprise, its time for bed.

Wishing a safe flight and happy landings in Amsterdam Schiphol.

Goodnight.

• Like 8

Here is the menu in the Signatrue Lounge:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2a68833f5b2f36f67571e0dc426e6492.jpeg

Just the FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.b38ea359c110d0f3527cc0954e2fc4a5.jpegwines here:

And some of the special drinks:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.0b2a8a964bc4ba824a112c7df3ecfbdd.jpeg

I confess @POA1  I did try the champagne - just to say I did it 😉 

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.a2f1139cca6cabaf46ba058c471273a8.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

You always throw in a tear jerker!

It is 11.30 pm here on Rotterdam and after 3rd dressy night (BBKings were outrageously good) and chocolate surprise, its time for bed.

Wishing a safe flight and happy landings in Amsterdam Schiphol.

Goodnight.

Sorry I didn’t mean to be a tear jerker 😢 

But Jose goes with me, his heart is in my purse.  And yes, I have a few ashes I’m going to do in a couple of places.  I guess I am just a suck.  Sorry don’t want to derail the thread.

• Like 20

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I know I said I had a 7 hour layover.  Turns out Air Canada has made me a liar.  “Due to an operational issue” the flight is delayed by another 2 hours and 30 minutes.  GRRR.   I will DEFINITELY be able to get all my Meet and Greet invites addressed in that time span.

I have a 5-hour layover when flying to Spain later this month. It's on AA and the layover is at Philadelphia. The Admirals Club in A-West is closed, ostensibly for conversion to a Flagship Lounge, but it has been closed for three years and no work has taken place. My flight to PHL arrives in terminal F so I will just head to the lounge there. I also have an online class for three of those five hours, and boarding will start before the class ends.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, skypig said:

That espresso martini sounds fabulous! Lucky for me my layover tomorrow is “only” around 3 hrs so far. 🤞🏻 

Hopefully it stays that way 🤞 

• Like 4

Well, it was a long gruelling day and 1/2 but I have arrived in Amsterdam.

It was a LONG layover even with the Signature Lounge but at least it was much quieter than others because the admittance is so restricted.  I am proud that I made it through without falling asleep but couldn’t get the invites finished.  I was just too tired and starting to muck up and then they all fell on the ground when I moved so I just to H with it - I’ll sort it out when I am less tired - like tomorrow 😉 

If I could have eaten on the plane, I had preselected the veal.

IMG_1243.thumb.jpeg.8e09d99b3800d9d34b712e0768c7a5cc.jpeg

IMG_1244.thumb.jpeg.30889b568995ee54f043167b13cc357e.jpeg

IMG_1245.thumb.jpeg.521b333676ca3c223d47d9bbab30f898.jpeg

IMG_1246.thumb.jpeg.ed159e08f10f8d829448131f6b3822ed.jpeg

By the time we were ready to have dinner it was 12:30  (1:30 AM my time).  So I just wanted some cheese and wine and was going to try to sleep.

We ended up arriving 4 hours later than planned.  Then another hour+ to walk to and go through  Customs.  Huge cattle crawl.  

Long story short - instead of waiting to check into my hotel I arrived well past check in time and my room was ready.

A few of us are staying at Banks Mansion (I loved it last time) and 3 of us are here already so we enjoyed some of the cheese and munchies they provide.  

IMG_1899.thumb.jpeg.0fed23ccfe61fc62774162201d06ae0a.jpeg

IMG_1900.thumb.jpeg.6f2ea234cef14086597596b365cd81fd.jpeg

And, of course, for me the wine 😉 

Tired, exhausted but it is done.  Just need to unpack a smidge and that bed looks very inviting.  Alarm?  No need.  Our Canal tour is in the afternoon.

I hope others on the roll call have less disruptive travels than I and may they all have safe and smooth travels.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Glad to hear you are safe and sound after your really long travel day. I agree, time in an airline lounge doesn't make the time go faster. 

It seems you were fed well...it all looked and sounded good. Love the charcuterie board and wine at the hotel, what a great perk! Perfect for a before bed snack and wine.

I am excited for you now that the travel part is over!!!

Rest well. ☺️

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 4

Glad you made it safely. We are planning a few  days in Amsterdam next year prior to this cruise. I am glad to hear the recommendations for Banks Mansion.

looking forward to hearing of your Amsterdam adventures!

joan

• Like 4