Apex due in Israel tomorrow

Mark_UK

I don't fault Celebrity for cancelling ports that are in a war zone or those that may be impacted by terrorist acts against foreigners given a volatile situation in a given area.

Your money or your life? I know my answer to that question!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, BOB999 said:

FYI for those on the 10/16 Apex sailing that they just cancelled out Egypt. They replaced it with Crete, Cyprus and an additional stop in Turkey.

Very disturbing...The Pyramids were my primary reason for this trip, Israel second.  Been to Turkey and Athens and other parts of Greece.    I understand why Celebrity did this with the Alexandria killings but the main purpose of the cruise is now gone.   Sure wish Celebrity would communicate options

2 minutes ago, golferguy3 said:

Very disturbing...The Pyramids were my primary reason for this trip, Israel second.  Been to Turkey and Athens and other parts of Greece.    I understand why Celebrity did this with the Alexandria killings but the main purpose of the cruise is now gone.   Sure wish Celebrity would communicate options

Hopefully as the post above yours says….they will start offering refunds or FCCs.  I just can’t imagine the majority of passengers being content with a trip to Cyprus and Borduram as opposed to Jerusalem and Alexandria.   Please if anyone has any updates, post it for the rest of us.  Thanks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Agree that they should at a minimum allow cancellation with no penalty.  This isn't an "Alaska" or "Caribbean" cruise where you may miss a port but make others to still experience the spirit of the cruise you booked.  Celebrity sold this (and is still selling it) as "Israel, Egypt & Med".  Given that it's only "Med" now they should definitely offer some flexibility given that this isn't anything close to the unique cruise that folks booked.  This isn't a knock on Celebrity in terms of their efforts to line up new ports in a very short time frame under no doubt difficult circumstances.  Just that they should take one step further to allow cancellation with full restoration of amounts paid as FCCs.

I’ve been thinking about this since we were booked on this sailing but cancelled a few months ago.

There is nothing that Celebrity did to cause this change, any more than the passengers did.  They are taking the appropriate action to insure the safety of passengers, crew and the ship.  The ship is staffed and ready to provide a cruise to ports that are far safer without disrupting the arrival and departure port so no disruption to travel plans.  

I checked my travel insurance and it would not cover a cancellation in the case of war, so I would be out the cost of the trip, even with insurance.  So I did what was within my control as  have the cruise lines.  

Neither party that will be impacted financially had any responsibility for the situation.  

If I were still booked I would be disappointed but we go on with the cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’ve been thinking about this since we were booked on this sailing but cancelled a few months ago.

There is nothing that Celebrity did to cause this change, any more than the passengers did.  They are taking the appropriate action to insure the safety of passengers, crew and the ship.  The ship is staffed and ready to provide a cruise to ports that are far safer without disrupting the arrival and departure port so no disruption to travel plans.  

I checked my travel insurance and it would not cover a cancellation in the case of war, so I would be out the cost of the trip, even with insurance.  So I did what was within my control as  have the cruise lines.  

Neither party that will be impacted financially had any responsibility for the situation.  

If I were still booked I would be disappointed but we go on with the cruise. 

Israel was canceled 10/7 before Israel declared war on 10/8, Egypt is not at war.   It was a terrorist.  event maybe, or just a targeted killing.  No doubt insurance companies will be arguing this.

FWIW, I was on Ovation of the Seas when passengers were lost due to the White Island volcano.  Half the ports were missed.    Cruise insurance did not cover any of it.  Although Volcano's were a named covered peril, the insurance companies stated the ship left and returned from the same port as scheduled and same number of days therefore no coverage.   In summary, it could have gone in circles for 12 days and the itineraries didn't matter.  They have good lawyers

1 hour ago, golferguy3 said:

I have no idea as I cannot reach my travel agent today.      Email notice does not mention any FCC or refunds.    Are you on Oct 16 voyage?

No, I'm not.  But I feel for all of you facing the decision on what to do and how to proceed.

8 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I disagree.  You can discuss plans and express sympathy.  I can only see what's posted, not what people are thinking, and plans are all (for the most part) that pare posted.  You are, however entitled to your opinions and I to mine.

And I'm glad for you that you were able to cancel.  Israel is an amazing place, and I hope you do get to see it sometime.

I hope so as well!

1 hour ago, abbydancer said:

And in 5 pages of complaints about itinerary changes (which does suck, granted), almost nobody seems to care about the several hundred and rising number of people who have died, or concern for those with family and friends in Isralel and Egypt.  

Sorry, not fair whatsoever.  Egypt and Israel for most, are lifetime dream destinations, points of pilgrimages.  Nazareth?  Bethlehem?  The Sphinx?  The Pyramids of Giza?  OMG!  This was our CHANCE, our ONE CHANCE to see these amazing destinations.  These sites were the only reasons we booked this cruise.  OF COURSE we grieve for Israel, for the unrest in the Middle East, for the lives lost, for the tumult and chaos in the region which has been going on for countless years, the heartache, the suffering, the unimaginable.  But it is absolutely ok for us here, amongst our fellow cruisers, to grieve our loss - the loss of destinations which now we will never see.  Does us grieving the loss of our pilgrimage destinations mean that we are selfish entitled boors?  I think NOT!  And I resent your assumption that we are.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Sorry, not fair whatsoever.  Egypt and Israel for most, are lifetime dream destinations, points of pilgrimages.  Nazareth?  Bethlehem?  The Sphinx?  The Pyramids of Giza?  OMG!  This was our CHANCE, our ONE CHANCE to see these amazing destinations.  These sites were the only reasons we booked this cruise.  OF COURSE we grieve for Israel, for the unrest in the Middle East, for the lives lost, for the tumult and chaos in the region which has been going on for countless years, the heartache, the suffering, the unimaginable.  But it is absolutely ok for us here, amongst our fellow cruisers, to grieve our loss - the loss of destinations which now we will never see.  Does us grieving the loss of our pilgrimage destinations mean that we are selfish entitled boors?  I think NOT!  And I resent your assumption that we are.  

Timing is everything.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zrf80 said:

No one is blaming Celebrity for changing itineraries on short notice.  It’s obvious that any decisions they make is for the safety of their staff and the passengers.

With that said, as a business you have to respect your customers and what they paid for.  There is no doubt that the majority of passengers booked this specific sailing for Israel and Egypt.  And even though it’s short notice, you cannot expect your passengers to accept a substitution of Jerusalem with Mykonos.  Or Cyprus for Alexandria.  It’s not an apples to apples comparison, not for what we paid for.

Im been on Caribbean cruises.  I’ve had ports of call changed due to bad weather.  I’m sure most can attest that there is a big difference when you’re comparing Bahamas to Bermuda vs Jerusalem to Santorini.

Celebrity, as a fair practice company, should acknowledge this and give their passengers leeway.  It doesn’t have to be a refund. But at least FCC so that we can book another cruise more to our liking.

Much like it’s not your fault about missing this port, it’s also not Celebrity’s fault.

And I’m sure everyone was aware and accepted the risks with this type of itinerary.

So other than refunded port taxes, what exactly do you expect in terms of FCC

PS - my heart goes out to Israel and all the victims of this senseless violence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, gordylad said:

does celebrity offer any refund or OBC for passengers affected as I'm just thinking the Israel cruises are normally higher priced than others?

Generally not.   It is covered under your contract with them that the cruise line can change ports at the sole discretion of Celebrity. 

Saying that we were on a Japanese Immersion Cruise b2b and were evacuated from the ship due to a Cyclone on Turn Around day - for that they gave all passengers a FCC for 1 days price you had paid.     The next cruise we were dodging a different typhoon and missed Hiroshima 2x cancelled one stop and slipped all ports by one day.  They offered again a 1 day FCC at the rate you paid for the room. 

On a number of occasions I have also received a OBC of port and taxes when we have missed a port.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

You're on the roll call for the Oct 16 cruise, yes?  Here as well as on the site that shalt not be named.  Celebrity is offering FCC.  You have to call.  

Yes on the Oct 16 cruise.   Not sure what site you are referring to and shall not be named.   We are a group of 6 so many are pondering next steps

1 hour ago, golferguy3 said:

Then the option was to book a land based trip that went solely to the pyramids. Experienced cruisers know that you should never book a cruise because you booked it to see one specific port. Now everybody  is playing the Woe is Me game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

If you do not like the new or the new new itinerary you are more than free to cancel. According to the passage contract -which you agreed to - whether you like it or not - Celebrity (and every other cruise line) owes you nothing more  than a cruise of the agreed number of days. Remember- you did accept the terms and conditions - whether or not you actually read the terms and conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

The whole point of my response, and I suggest you go back and read it, was to respond to the fact those that are upset with the itinerary change were being accused of essentially having no empathy for those suffering through the war in their land. One can be both empathetic and upset over their itinerary change. Don’t lecture to others what should be important to them. 

I never said that anyone had no empathy.  All I said was that there didn't seem to be any expressed here.  You are all making assumptions about me.  So just be happy that Celebrity is making good, and pray to whatever god you do that this ends soon, and let's all go back to complaining about food cuts.

And I hope you all get to go to Israel eventually.  It's amazing and eye opening.  (And the food, btw is great).

Peace all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I’m pretty sure this is a standard world-wide clause, they can change the itinerary at any time. 

The last time this happened in this part of the world, cruisers who booked in EU countries were given more options than those who did not when there was this type of significant change.  Different countries, different rules.   The admonishment that many are giving about the cruise line being able to do anything is not universally true depending on the consumer laws you book under.  Not the first time this has been a topic on Cruise Critic.

• Thanks 1

Celebrity is offering, for the Oct 16 cruise, a 100% FCC if you rebook another cruise at the time of cancellation.  If you cancel and decide to wait, they are offering a 90% FCC, for a cruise booked within a year.  This is extremely fair and was the right thing to do.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, golferguy3 said:

Yes on the Oct 16 cruise.   Not sure what site you are referring to and shall not be named.   We are a group of 6 so many are pondering next steps

Cruise Critic admins get extremely disturbed when you mention Facebook.  

You by now probably know that Celebrity is offering 100% FCC if you book another cruise at the time you cancel, and 90% FCC if you decide to wait and rebook something within a year.  Very generous terms I feel under the circumstances. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Timing is everything.  

Thanks for your astute observation, so helpful!  It's funny as everyone was so concerned about the lack of clarity surrounding getting a visa in Egypt - perspective is everything as well.