Changes to RCL stops in Labadee

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

if you don’t want to hang on the beach or do the couple of $$ things like zip, then IMO stay on the ship.  The one time we were in a GS and allowed on that beach, the food was the same stuff that’s on the other beaches, and it’s not good. Again, my opinion. I had been told we would get upgraded food, we didn’t that time. The food had flies buzzing around and landing on the burgers, salad and everything else that wasn’t in a sealed container. 
We do like the beach but don’t eat there anymore. We stay in the morning and leave at lunchtime and eat in WJ.

If the food on the ship had as many flies on it as the food at Labadee people would be up in arms about it.

I'd suggest a relaxing morning and lunch on the ship and when you notice families heading back to the ship, head out. The last two hours in Labadee have a complete mood shift. There are paths to walk and hammocks under trees, no need to go on the beach. Be among the last people back on board.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I'll semi-hijack this thread (apologies in advance). We'll be there in 19 days.

If you're not a beach person and have no desire to do any of the activities or excursions there, is there really any reason to spend time there other than checking it out?

The last time I watched a video of the food it looked mostly hot dogs and burgers, so that's not a reason either unless the food has been changed.

We haven't been there in forever so we'll likely get off the ship just to take a walk but don't think we'll be staying long unless someone tells me I'm missing something. TIA!

P.S. I'm not looking to be convinced that I should enjoy a relaxing day on the beach there. If you enjoy that, great, everyone has their own preferences, it's just not our thing unless there's good food to get in between lounging like on CocoCay.

We do not get off the ship in Labadee.

13 hours ago, soremekun said:

Reasons why I think Labadee is not developed like Coco Cay:

-Government instability

-Land is leased, not owned

Wait...you are saying Coco Cay was purchased from the Bahamian Government and is owned by Royal Caribbean? I am not so sure about that. From what I have been told the cruise lines have been awarded 99 year leases. 

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises in 1988. In 2019, the island was extensively renovated by Royal Caribbean at the cost of $250 million and renamed Perfect Day at CocoCay.

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

Wait...you are saying Coco Cay was purchased from the Bahamian Government and is owned by Royal Caribbean? I am not so sure about that. From what I have been told the cruise lines have been awarded 99 year leases. 

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises in 1988. In 2019, the island was extensively renovated by Royal Caribbean at the cost of $250 million and renamed Perfect Day at CocoCay.

Let me know your thoughts:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2945819-proof-royal-caribbean-owns-the-island-called-cococay/

23 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Looks like speculative evidence. Whatever the legalese turns out to be, I am sure if the Bahamas ever wants it back they will take it. 

Goes for anywhere.  The government can take my house and land in the U.S. via eminent domain, tax title, uninhabitable conditions, or civil asset forfeiture.

I can obtain the deed to Island for Science but I cannot obtain the sale contract between Royal Caribbean and Neil Ruzic.

Feel free to reply in my other thread.  I don't want to derail this thread.

And yes, Norwegian owns their Bahamian island as well.

Edited by soremekun

35 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Royal owns Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay); the Bahamian government sells islands all the time, they have hundreds of them

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 10:14 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I'll semi-hijack this thread (apologies in advance). We'll be there in 19 days.

If you're not a beach person and have no desire to do any of the activities or excursions there, is there really any reason to spend time there other than checking it out?

The last time I watched a video of the food it looked mostly hot dogs and burgers, so that's not a reason either unless the food has been changed.

We haven't been there in forever so we'll likely get off the ship just to take a walk but don't think we'll be staying long unless someone tells me I'm missing something. TIA!

P.S. I'm not looking to be convinced that I should enjoy a relaxing day on the beach there. If you enjoy that, great, everyone has their own preferences, it's just not our thing unless there's good food to get in between lounging like on CocoCay.

Sounds like for you, it would just be checking it out and souvenir shopping.  The food in the Windjammer is going to be FAR better than what's offered on Labadee.  The food is convenient on Labadee but it's just burgers, grilled chicken, hot dogs...

Having said that, we love Columbus Cove relaxing on a lounger with the ship in the background across the water.  Food is just o.k., enough to "get the job done" but not something we look forward to.  We really enjoy the laid back vibe of Labadee, and the view from the ship when docking is gorgeous.

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I wasn’t sure if it was just that day in Labadee.  I don’t see that at Coco Cay.

There certainly used to be flies at Coco Cay before it was developed and food was brought from the ship. It was #1 complaint and discussed regularly.

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

You aren’t the keeper of CC, nor do we need your public service announcements.🙄

Lighten up, I had to look at the thread to see what the groundbreaking new procedures were for Labadee and when I got here I realized there was absolutely nothing new

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Jesus 

Lighten up, I had to look at the thread to see what the groundbreaking new procedures were for Labadee and when I got here I realized there was absolutely nothing new

I don't need to lighten up. I have read several times you telling people to move on. Maybe there might not be anything new to you, so why don't you just move along and not tell others what to do?

• Like 1

This is why you don't leave the fenced area. Dont forget its not an island you are on the mainland of Haiti.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html#:~:text=Do not travel to Haiti,and poor health care infrastructure.

Edited by TequilaJane
sp

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

BTW, It isn't new to anyone, not just me

Ok dad, since you were the one telling people what to do. Don’t assume you and everyone on here knows everything. I have started reading the MSC boards recently and EVERYTHING over there is new to me. There are also complete newbies over here. He who assumes makes, well you know. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. 👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 10/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, Ocean Boy said:

If the food on the ship had as many flies on it as the food at Labadee people would be up in arms about it.

Interesting, was on there twice last Spring and no issues. Now 35 plus yrs ago on the then very Rustic Labadee it was Bugs galore

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 10/9/2023 at 9:49 AM, orville99 said:

1) No more guest internet access on the island, and

IMG_0042.jpeg

For some reason, RCI thinks that my Labadee excursions would benefit from an Internet package??? "your labadee shore excursion gets even better with an amazing Internet Package"

2023-10-13.png.8ec6a2af8471326bfc125ed3ced77b5d.png

2023-10-13(2).png.a3a849d003dba4889357457697f2f220.png

• Haha 4