Using the corridor outside your room for stroller storage

I just wish the cabin attendants could/would take the dining trays when they clean the room!  Ours was left there for 2 days when I finally caught up with him and asked him to take it.  He said when it's in your room they don't know if you're done with it so leave it outside the door....I've struggled to find a solution and finally came up with post it notes saying "please take this!".....it worked 😄   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Agree. It's a safety hazard.

On our most recent cruise, someone placed their tray full of dirty plates, utensils, glasses, and leftover food outside the hallway, next to our cabin door. (I nearly tripped on it)

The second time it happened, I called guest services and asked if they can look at the ship's video and find out who's placing the tray next to our cabin door. Her response was basically "We don't have time to do that".

So I politely said "What if I had tripped on it and hit my head on the wall...would you then have time to look at it? I then told her I'm visually impaired.

* Thankfully, no more trays after that.

That happened to us on Celebrity on an 18 day cruise.  Everyday a pile of dishes was outside our door.  We told our stateroom attendant and he watched to see who did it.  Once he found out, he placed a large pile of dishes outside their door.  It was a genius idea as we never saw dishes at our door again.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, butterfly4108 said:

I just wish the cabin attendants could/would take the dining trays when they clean the room!  Ours was left there for 2 days when I finally caught up with him and asked him to take it.  He said when it's in your room they don't know if you're done with it so leave it outside the door....I've struggled to find a solution and finally came up with post it notes saying "please take this!".....it worked 😄   

99% of the time they are placed in the hallway,  Some do make the trip to a storage area, but not always.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, butterfly4108 said:

Sometimes it seems obvious to passengers.  The problem, training

We have been told cabin attendants are trained not to remove anything from the cabin unless it's in a trash can or a towel on the floor.  Some cabin attendants are more flexible than others.  Our current attendant removes glassware and plates.  Others have told us specifically, put your stuff in the hall, I don't want to get in trouble having to interpret passenger intentions.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

It's a dining service issue. Your cabin attendant has very little room on the cart.

We put trays and glasses out in the hallway when and ONLY when we see our cabin steward in the hallway. We know when he is there, it won't be no more then 10 or 15 minutes before they magically disappear.

We would not put any out on the floor at say midnight, since no one would be around to pick them up in less room service is called upon near our cabin, most times if that is the case the room service crew member would pick them up when returning top the kitchen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Agree. It's a safety hazard.

On our most recent cruise, someone placed their tray full of dirty plates, utensils, glasses, and leftover food outside the hallway, next to our cabin door. (I nearly tripped on it)

The second time it happened, I called guest services and asked if they can look at the ship's video and find out who's placing the tray next to our cabin door. Her response was basically "We don't have time to do that".

So I politely said "What if I had tripped on it and hit my head on the wall...would you then have time to look at it? I then told her I'm visually impaired.

* Thankfully, no more trays after that.

I did see people stepping onto food trays accidently while walking down hallways on our cruise at the end of August.  Not everyone is looking down as they walk, especially if they are speaking to a person next to them, or are examining papers or their phone.  

• Like 1

I push it out of the way as far as possible, right up against their door.  It is a safety hazard and shouldn't be in the hallway.  It's selfish and rude.  I know cabins aren't huge, but if you bring a stroller, be prepared to store it in your cabin.

We had a family that did this everyday on our July Alaska cruise (balcony cabin, forward).  Like the OP, their cabin was near the elevator at the beginning of walkway leading to all the forward cabins.  Everyone going that direction had to walk past the partially blocked walkway.

We did speak with a room steward and they did say that the family has been spoken to, however it never changed.  They did try to scoot the stroller closer to their cabin door for the last 1/2 of the cruise, but it wasn't enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Leaving anything blocking a corridor is against SOLAS (safety of life at sea) maritime law. If it really impedes your ability to get through a passageway, it's worth a call to guest services. 

Well...I wonder how Carnival gets away with it? They actually tell you to put dishes outside your door for pickup. Fact of the matter is, it is has NOT been uncommon to see dishes littered up and down the passageways on any line I have cruised. 

Just now, rolloman said:

Well...I wonder how Carnival gets away with it? They actually tell you to put dishes outside your door for pickup. Fact of the matter is, it is has NOT been uncommon to see dishes littered up and down the passageways on any line I have cruised. 

I think SOLAS addresses strollers and motorized scooters, one could easily walk over dishes to exit in an emergency. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe it's because I don't do room service so I don't end up with a ton of dishes. BUT if I take a plate to my cabin from the buffet, I leave it on the desk (or whatever the flat surface is in my cabin) and if my stateroom host doesn't remove it, I take it back myself OR I take it back to the buffet myself to begin with. I'm perfectly capable of taking it back.

As for strollers, I was on a different cruiseline a few years ago and the cabin next to me kept leaving theirs in the hallway. The stateroom host talked with them about it, moved it to the area where scooters parked overnight, and still nothing. The day it was half in front of my door, I moved it ALL the way in front of theirs so that it blocked their door. They seem to have learned from that as it would always be in the scooter area after that.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is an epidemic now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed. There were trays on the floor throughout the entire length of the cabin corridors on the Allure this past summer. 

We've always seen this on all our cruises. I personally think it's  a pigish thing to do.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

As someone often pushing a wheelchair down the hallway, scooters, strollers and room service trays are not my friends. Even the housekeeping carts can be a challenge depending on where in the hallway they are and whether there are towels, etc. hanging off the sides. 

Most times any of these result in a Stop. Stand. Fold. Walk. Stop. Unfold. Sit. Resume. sequence of events. 

No way two scooters or wheelchairs can fit. At least with the wheelchair, I can fold it up and let the traffic pass. The only hallways I have seen where two can pass side by side is the Crown Loft deck 17 hallways. For me, they are a thing of beauty. 

mac_tlc

Sure miss those double wide hallways. Have not been back on an Oasis class ship in probably 4 years or so. RCL doesn't sail that class out of the west coast much! 

Hope to cross cruise paths again with you and your wife.

So... I'll be Devil's Advocate on scooters. 

In non-accessible rooms that aren't a suite or larger, parking a scooter in the room might wind up blocking the exit for the room's occupants.

Do you block the room, or partially obstruct a hallway?

Back in June on QOTS, there were almost always three or four scooters overnight in our hallway on 10. 

5 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

In non-accessible rooms that aren't a suite or larger, parking a scooter in the room might wind up blocking the exit for the room's occupants.

Back in June on QOTS, there were almost always three or four scooters overnight in our hallway on 10. 

It's simple triage, or to paraphrase Spock "the good of the many outweighs the good of the few".

And, dishes and trays are not a SOLAS violation.

6 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Are there more people that need scooters, than accessible rooms?

I think that if you bring a stroller- leave it in your cabin- I also think it isn't safe to leave dirty food trays in the hallway- the cabin attendant will clear when the room is cleaned-  Why are people so selfish?  If you want- when you are finished call room service and they will remove the tray.  

• Like 3