I'm Stunned by the Price of an Upper Suite on a Three Night Cruise on Ascent...

Georgia_Peaches

Just checked to see what suites are left on our upcoming 3 night Ascent pre-maiden voyage cruise in November.  We have a SS1 for this part of the b2b and a few weeks ago I put in a "fair" bid for both a Royal Suite and an Edge Villa Suite.  And because I don't really do the bidding process in favor of just booking what we want outright, I decided to see if any were left for a possible upgrade.  Behold, there is one RS left that can be had for $7300 and there is one Edge Villa that can be had for $9056....for three nights!  Umm, that's a hard no on both.  And I'm guessing my "fair" bid has a less than fair change of being accepted...lol.  

I know it's a new ship and there are bills to pay, but are people really paying these prices? 

Regardless, we are still very excited for this cruise!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Behold, there is one RS left that can be had for $7300 and there is one Edge Villa that can be had for $9056....for three nights!

Don’t forget to factor in Celebrity’s generous Retreat OBC 🤣

• Haha 11

One of each for next month? I’m not surprised. Someone may even pay it. 

Have you ever seen First/Business class international fares 2-5 days out? Forget walk up fares. $10K+ for a 7 hour flight. Much more to Asia from the US. That’s what dynamic pricing models do. 

Rare commodity in a dynamic market. If they don’t sell, they’ll come down. If they don’t sell before they have to lock the passenger list, they’ll upgrade someone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All celebrity suites are ridiculously priced recently, I was able to get a grand suite on rccl along with UDP for a thousand less per person. I will continue booking rccl oasis class suites or MSc yacht club or sandals resorts .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just checked to see what suites are left on our upcoming 3 night Ascent pre-maiden voyage cruise in November.  We have a SS1 for this part of the b2b and a few weeks ago I put in a "fair" bid for both a Royal Suite and an Edge Villa Suite.  And because I don't really do the bidding process in favor of just booking what we want outright, I decided to see if any were left for a possible upgrade.  Behold, there is one RS left that can be had for $7300 and there is one Edge Villa that can be had for $9056....for three nights!  Umm, that's a hard no on both.  And I'm guessing my "fair" bid has a less than fair change of being accepted...lol.  

I know it's a new ship and there are bills to pay, but are people really paying these prices? 

Regardless, we are still very excited for this cruise!

For an EV, that is $3K per night. That seems very reasonable when compared to a stay, for example, in a Mandarin Oriental, a Shangri-La, or a Four Seasons.

Plus, an EV includes all meals and "transportation."

Celebrity is clearly appealing to those who want real service, real suites, and a genuine premium service.

And you'd be on their newest ship.

If it appealed to everyone, that's clearly what they want. Every company wants that. But, they don't need too many to afford it, rather just enough who can afford it.

Seems logical and similar to pricing models used by luxury land based hotels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, buncosquad said:

That seems very reasonable when compared to a stay, for example, in a Mandarin Oriental, a Shangri-La, or a Four Seasons.

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. At last check, those are not mass market hotel chains.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't see the comparison of cruising to land based resorts myself.  Totally different experience.  

That said, the prices are what they are.  Brand new ship, one of the first if not the first sailing with passengers...not sure what folks expect..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. At last check, those are not mass market hotel chains.

Agree. We just completed our second Celebrity cruise, so by no means an expert, but Celebrity is not a luxury cruise line.  I suppose if you are paying suite prices you are getting a suite experience which might be considered Luxury, but overall, it's just a mainstream middle ground cruise line like Princess and Holland America, above Royal and Carnival.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Agree. We just completed our second Celebrity cruise, so by no means an expert, but Celebrity is not a luxury cruise line.  I suppose if you are paying suite prices you are getting a suite experience which might be considered Luxury, but overall, it's just a mainstream middle ground cruise line like Princess and Holland America, above Royal and Carnival.

A Holiday Inn can build really nice suites with access to an exclusive lounge. Guests can and should pay somewhat of a premium for these suites, but at the end of the day, it's still a Holiday Inn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Point is, Celebrity is offering a differentiated product in their real suites (at least on their newest ships, which is my experience referenced here).*

A Sky "Suite" is a euphemism to get people to pay more for less. Don't take my word. Countless threads on this forum state as much. If you must fetch your own refrigerator contents and, well, live in a small room, they've snookered you to pay for that by adding "suite" to the stateroom name.

Also, and likewise with the luxury hotel brands, they have entry level products.

Not everyone can or will pay for the top rooms, but it helps the brand overall to offer the best rooms in the marketplace. It's that good, old fashioned halo effect.

Not arguing. Simply stating the obvious.

The prices aren't insane for those who can pay for an Iconic Suite as if spending 10 cents from a $100 bill.

All of them, Cunard, Regent, Celebrity, Four Seasons, they love (and provide their top flight services for) the $100s.

Nothing personal. It's just business.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buncosquad said:

Point is, Celebrity is offering a differentiated product in their real suites (at least on their newest ships, which is my experience referenced here).*

A Sky "Suite" is a euphemism to get people to pay more for less. Don't take my word. Countless threads on this forum state as much. If you must fetch your own refrigerator contents and, well, live in a small room, they've snookered you to pay for that by adding "suite" to the stateroom name.

Also, and likewise with the luxury hotel brands, they have entry level products.

Not everyone can or will pay for the top rooms, but it helps the brand overall to offer the best rooms in the marketplace. It's that good, old fashioned halo effect.

Not arguing. Simply stating the obvious.

The prices aren't insane for those who can pay for an Iconic Suite as if spending 10 cents from a $100 bill.

All of them, Cunard, Regent, Celebrity, Four Seasons, they love (and provide their top flight services for) the $100s.

Nothing personal. It's just business.

Next time you buy tax software that promises free tech support, I hope they don’t charge extra or better yet just eliminate tech support all together.  It’s nothing personal.  That’s Celebrity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Brand new ship with only 3-4 suites open. When you break it down to price per night those prices are pretty much in line with the going rate on normal cruises. 

I can book a 2,400sq ft Oceania Suite on the Vista for a "normal" TA for about $1,021 per person per day. 

Try to sell it any way you can but X's suite prices are not "normal".

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

Try to sell it any way you can but X's suite prices are not "normal".

What's not "normal" about it? I agree the prices are absurd, but it's a publicly traded company with shareholders who haven't seen an ROE in years. "Normal" is pricing where the market will support it. "Abnormal" would be not doing that. If they can get it, they should.

No, I'm not about to even dream of paying those prices for ANY cruise line. And yes, the true luxury/near luxury lines may be less expensive. But if there are people out there who'll pay those prices, are you saying they should be too proud to take their money?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, buncosquad said:

All of them, Cunard, Regent, Celebrity, Four Seasons…

Anyone who has cruised (or watched Sesame Street) can figure out which of these four doesn’t belong with the rest. That’s my point. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5