Survey about Solarium Family Hours

Luvcrusn

4 hours ago, Shellyd22 said:

I agree with you. A lot of adults can be inconsiderate too. Also, a 14 year old with adult supervision is different then young kids running around screaming. They can implement rules like no running, horseplaying, loud noises, etc.. for some reason indoor pools give me the ick anyway 😅 

Maybe they can have rules like no card playing on the tables by the Spa Cafe during hours food is being served.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Interesting no one else has reported getting the survey.  Wonder if the ones who got one have sailed with kids recently?  

Anyway, my opinion is that except for cold or otherwise inclement weather when a designated family time is reasonable, the solarium should remain adults only.  And for that matter, during the family time it should be required that parents be present (I know, even harder to control).  

I got the survey and haven't ever sailed on X with children or grandchildren. 

Our children do not want a floating amusement park as a cruise, they are well behaved 10-14 year olds, giving them an allotted time before dinner (or after?) would be nice, especially on our Alaska cruise! The problem is that not all kids will sit and read and float quietly, I guess it would be hard to enforce. Our family 💯 prefers celebrity over other lines, especially the newer ships. Happy Cruising!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 1:48 AM, PTC DAWG said:

100 dbs...that's a stretch...

NO - unfortunately it is not a stretch - all entertainment areas were well above the maximum safe level of 85 dB - frequently 95 to 100 and up to 110 on our recent cruise.

5.15pm brackets were the only ones we were able to almost enjoy, usually not exceeding 90.

We were told by the Musical Director that they were under instruction from Miami to ramp up the sound after the first bracket.

Occupational Health and Safety??? I really feel for the crew who have to work for extended periods in those areas. As cruisers we have lost some of our previous enjoyment, but at least we are able to leave an area where the sound level is dangerous to one's hearing.

**Apologies for being off topic, but I couldn't let the post to which I responded go without comment.

Edited by Baynanno1

I still have not received said survey.  Oh well, based on comments here, the majority seem to echo my sentiments - no, do not open the Solarium to under 18 year olds. 

Now if there was only a dedicated space for senior citizens where the ambient noise was quiet but still loud enough to overcome tinnitus, we’d be all set. 😉😉😉 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

NO - unfortunately it is not a stretch - all entertainment areas were well above the maximum safe level of 85 dB - frequently 95 to 100 and up to 110 on our recent cruise.

5.15pm brackets were the only ones we were able to almost enjoy, usually not exceeding 90.

We were told by the Musical Director that they were under instruction from Miami to ramp up the sound after the first bracket.

Occupational Health and Safety??? I really feel for the crew who have to work for extended periods in those areas. As cruisers we have lost some of our previous enjoyment, but at least we are able to leave an area where the sound level is dangerous to one's hearing.

**Apologies for being off topic, but I couldn't let the post to which I responded go without comment.

"After the first bracket"?

Personally, I'd prefer quieter spaces as well, and on my most recent cruise on Edge, there was certainly more noticeable music all around the ship (except for the Retreat areas, which were quiet) .. .but it didn't seem like 95-110 ... I spend a lot of time in concerts and nightclub type venues which have 100db and wear ear protection, and it never seemed that loud to me anywhere on Edge.

And as far as the main point of the thread ... I'd agree that the Solarium should remain officially "adults only". I don't mind if it's soft-enforced (ie: they let it slide when kids are quiet and well behaved) ... but it certainly shouldn't be noisy kids running around. ESPECIALLY on cold cruises like Alaska / Antarctica ... Sure, that may mean there's no pool for kids on those cruises, but, that's sort of the reality... 

If the kids aren't mature enough to enjoy the beautify of Alaska as it is without also having access to a pool ... they probably aren't mature enough for that cruise with a pool, either.

Edited by someguyfl
  • Like 1

Is it really too much to ask to have ONE area of the ship that is adult only?

"Oh I want to bring my 8 year old to the Solarium.  They're well behaved, not like those OTHER kids.  I'll be back in a few hours."

That's a hard "NO!".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would vote for it stay adult only. No exceptions. Once you start making exceptions, it becomes a slippery slope. People report being discriminated against because others were allowed to do it and they are being told no. In addition, we all have different definitions of what is acceptable child behavior (adult behavior also but that’s a different thread). So whose definition would be used?  If Disney can manage an adult only area, Celebrity can also. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Debbra1024 said:

I would vote for it stay adult only. No exceptions. Once you start making exceptions, it becomes a slippery slope. People report being discriminated against because others were allowed to do it and they are being told no. In addition, we all have different definitions of what is acceptable child behavior (adult behavior also but that’s a different thread). So whose definition would be used?  If Disney can manage an adult only area, Celebrity can also. 

Agree on all points.   Slippery slope to let a “few” in.   Let the genie out of the bottle, hard to put back in

What is wrong with children learning “No”.   That is adults only.   Maybe some parents need to learn too

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On our recent Apex cruise between 4-7pm every day was family time in the solarium, is that not the norm? (must admit I clocked watched and was out of there at 3.55pm!!). It’s very echoey in there when kids scream!!

Edited by Sea38

22 minutes ago, Sea38 said:

On our recent Apex cruise between 4-7pm every day was family time in the solarium, is that not the norm? (must admit I clocked watched and was out of there at 3.55pm!!). It’s very echoey in there when kids scream!!

Who thinks it's acceptable to have screaming kids in the solarium?  Or anywhere else?  Yes I remember what it's like to be a kid.  I did not run around screaming.  My parents would have smacked me on the bottom.  Physical punishment is passé but last I checked, it was possible to teach children the difference between "yes" and "no", "good" and "bad" behavior.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is it really too much to ask to have ONE area of the ship that is adult only?

"Oh I want to bring my 8 year old to the Solarium.  They're well behaved, not like those OTHER kids.  I'll be back in a few hours."

That's a hard "NO!".

That's what they all say.. Our grandboys are a bit wild (normal for their ages 7 and  3 ), but they would not be still or quiet..in the Solarium

They enjoy all sorts of family friendly resorts like Great Wolf  where they are free and  happy.!

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

The solarium is supposed to be for relaxation, not listening to kids screaming.

Hey I pay the same as you so that gives me the right to allow my kids to run around screaming in the adults only area.  /s

(Most Celebrity pax with kids, probably)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Hey I pay the same as you so that gives me the right to allow my kids to run around screaming in the adults only area.  /s

(Most Celebrity pax with kids, probably)

In some cases it's more "I pay the same as you so that gives me the right ot runing around like a kid screaming"