YC - Inviting Non YC Guests

BoundForSea

On 11/3/2023 at 6:30 PM, Best Cat Mom said:

If she met the other human in an airplane lounge, she could not bring them to the front of the plane (just saying what would happen in that scenario as a comparison)... 

On 11/3/2023 at 6:36 PM, Seadweller001 said:

Not the same comparison at all.  She bought a deluxe grand suite paying for 2.  On a plane she would only buy one seat and of course she could not invite someone up front.

On 11/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, benjaminnicholas said:

Unlikely.

YC is accessible to YC guests only.  

That's like buying two seats in coach on an airline and expecting to get the same privileges as first class.

It's apples and oranges.

I think lots of these responses to Seadwellers post about his Grandmother are not comprehending the scenerio properly.  She paid for double occupancy IN THE YC (grand deluxe is only a YC category), so if she's actually travelling as a solo, I could see that the YC manager MIGHT let her bring a guest from the gen pop in for a meal.  While it would be adding one more person to the YC "load" for that meal, it wouldn't be any more than if she had a full-time cabin mate...

my .02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I think lots of these responses to Seadwellers post about his Grandmother are not comprehending the scenerio properly.  She paid for double occupancy IN THE YC (grand deluxe is only a YC category), so if she's actually travelling as a solo, I could see that the YC manager MIGHT let her bring a guest from the gen pop in for a meal.  While it would be adding one more person to the YC "load" for that meal, it wouldn't be any more than if she had a full-time cabin mate...

I would certainly suggest asking for this as a favor not as an entitlement and see how they respond...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Av8tor said:

my .02

Your post made me relook at the OP's original post...looks like neither of his bookings are in the YC, he is just wondering if one of his bookings gets upgrade and then the other doesn't -- what are his options.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:47 AM, BoundForSea said:

I ask in the event one of the two reservations we have get upgraded.

So is one of their bookings in the YC or neither?  Not that it makes a difference because I agree with most posters -- the answer will probably be no but there's no harm in asking when you are onboard.  It looks like no one has heard or seen guests being invited (maybe they have gone on RCCL a lot and the suites are allowsed -- if room is available -- to invite guest to coastal kitchen for dinner).

As per Seadwellers post -- I get the logic, she paid double, though she is single, so possibly they would make an exception...but I guess it will depend on the YC director. 

Edited by xcell

7 hours ago, Av8tor said:

my .02

Exactly,  apparently no one read the scenario I laid out.  We are going as a family in December staying in the YC on the Seashore.  We are all in Deluxe Grand Suites including Aunt Alice.  She is the only one single but paying a DOUBLE RATE as if there were two in her Suite.

So, I still say, if she befriended a nice lady in another area of the ship and invited her to lunch or dinner in the YC, there would be no problem.  I would be very vigilant in making sure this would be allowed. 99% of the responses did not read the facts and it wasnt worth my time to argue.

bottomline:   As in this case, it is possible and most likely to invite a non YC Cruiser into the YC for dining.  Thanks for reading my posts correctly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Seadweller001 said:

... I would be very vigilant in making sure this would be allowed. 99% of the responses did not read the facts and it wasnt worth my time to argue.

bottomline:   As in this case, it is possible and most likely to invite a non YC Cruiser into the YC for dining.  Thanks for reading my posts correctly.

I would still caution to approach this not as an entitlement, because it really isn't, but as a request and give them a chance to delight you with their response...

8 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I would still caution to approach this not as an entitlement, because it really isn't, but as a request and give them a chance to delight you with their response...

I dont want to beat a dead horse but as a good loyalty member with over 70,000 points they are more than generous to us and I cant imagine a problem with this.  The YC Directors and HDs are very professional and use good common sense especially with YC loyalists as evidenced on every cruise we have taken.

The point of my interactions on here was to show the naysayers that it is possible in some unique circumstances to legally invite a NON YC passenger to dine in the YC.  My Aunts case fits this unique situation since every meal she is theoretically paying for 2 meals for 7 nights.  

But, I agree, 99% of the time, non YC guests will NEVER  be allowed to dine at the restaurant or in Ocean Cay at the YC restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seadweller001 said:

So, I still say, if she befriended a nice lady in another area of the ship and invited her to lunch or dinner in the YC, there would be no problem.  I would be very vigilant in making sure this would be allowed. 99% of the responses did not read the facts and it wasnt worth my time to argue.

Great.  So you would be "very vigilant"... one of our favorite kind of entitled YC guests.  Thanks for trying to intimidate the staff into bending to your interpretation of the "rules"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think that a distinction needs to be made between MSC staff/officers giving access to the Yacht Club vs. Yacht Club guests giving access to non-Yacht Club guests and non-Yacht Club guests taking it upon themselves to grant themselves access.

If the staff allows it, YC guests shouldn't really complain unless those non-YC guests have a negative impact on the YC experience.

52 minutes ago, Seadweller001 said:

Why anyone on here cares about things that are none of their business is beyond me.

As for the forum, I think that the fear is that if someone mentions bringing a guest into the Yacht Club, EVERYONE reading the thread will feel that they can bring others, too. That will lead to chaos.

A 90 year-old woman asking to bring a guest won't ruin anyone's experience. If the staff approves, it's a non-issue. EVERY guest bringing a guest would be a disaster.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

A 90 year-old woman asking to bring a guest won't ruin anyone's experience. If the staff approves, it's a non-issue. EVERY guest bringing a guest would be a disaster.

Once it begins small what’s to prevent the flood gates from opening?
The parable speaks to it beginning with the nose of the camel slipping beneath the tent. Soon the entire beast is inside the tent. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Once it begins small what’s to prevent the flood gates from opening?
The parable speaks to it beginning with the nose of the camel slipping beneath the tent. Soon the entire beast is inside the tent. 

If it was up to ME, it would be a hard, cut in adamantium, never to be altered, rule that non-YC cannot enter the Yacht Club but it isn't up to me. If too much of the camel enters the tent, it will be for MSC to decide what to do.

We guests just have to hope for the best that our experience isn't negatively impacted.

• Like 2

Ok, so the more I thought about this the aunt didn't actually pay for 2 berths; she paid a 100% solo supplement WIHTOUT the port fees on the 2nd booking.  Solo supplements can range from 0 - 100% (or more in some odd cases), but they do not represent 2 people.  It is a penalty.

Taking the OP's logic about purchasing 2 seats in the YC for dinner, what's the difference if my DH wants to stay in and watch Monday Night football and order pizza and I go to the YC dining room and take a non YC friend?  Isn't that the same logic? I paid for 2 seats and since he's not coming I can invite anyone I want, right?    (Or if his pizza counts as his meal, let's say he doesn't feel like having dinner at all, so I can just substitute someone else for him in the YC dining room by this logic, and he actually PAID for a place at the table....)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Ok, so the more I thought about this the aunt didn't actually pay for 2 berths; she paid a 100% solo supplement WIHTOUT the port fees on the 2nd booking.  Solo supplements can range from 0 - 100% (or more in some odd cases), but they do not represent 2 people.  It is a penalty.

Taking the OP's logic about purchasing 2 seats in the YC for dinner, what's the difference if my DH wants to stay in and watch Monday Night football and order pizza and I go to the YC dining room and take a non YC friend?  Isn't that the same logic? I paid for 2 seats and since he's not coming I can invite anyone I want, right?    (Or if his pizza counts as his meal, let's say he doesn't feel like having dinner at all, so I can just substitute someone else for him in the YC dining room by this logic, and he actually PAID for a place at the table....)

Nope...There is a reason why YC is inclusive. I don't care if my spouse doesn't join me.... that doesn't mean I can or would want to  substitute a non YC guest. There are other restaurant venues on ship where YC and non YC passengers can eat together

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Nope...There is a reason why YC is inclusive. I don't care if my spouse doesn't join me.... that doesn't mean I can or would want to  substitute a non YC guest. There are other restaurant venues on ship where YC and non YC passengers can eat together

My point exactly. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seadweller001 said:

I dont want to beat a dead horse but as a good loyalty member with over 70,000 points they are more than generous to us and I cant imagine a problem with this.  The YC Directors and HDs are very professional and use good common sense especially with YC loyalists as evidenced on every cruise we have taken.

The point of my interactions on here was to show the naysayers that it is possible in some unique circumstances to legally invite a NON YC passenger to dine in the YC.  My Aunts case fits this unique situation since every meal she is theoretically paying for 2 meals for 7 nights.  

But, I agree, 99% of the time, non YC guests will NEVER  be allowed to dine at the restaurant or in Ocean Cay at the YC restaurant.

If you have so many points and loyalty and sure good common sense will be used why bother even posting here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dexddd said:

If you have so many points and loyalty and sure good common sense will be used why bother even posting here?

It sounds like a super loyalty entitlement issue.  At one time the most traveled guest on Celebrity was invited to take a year off from cruising because of the same attitude.  EM

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

If I had a passenger be vigilant with me about a request when they’ve already been told no I would have them offloaded on the spot and authorities waiting for them at the gate. Don’t care if your a million miles flyer. 

Vigilant?  Aware?  Or did you mean something more along the lines of "argumentative" or "vociferous"?

Edited by JAGR

1 hour ago, JustAPilot said:

If I had a passenger be vigilant with me about a request when they’ve already been told no I would have them offloaded on the spot and authorities waiting for them at the gate. Don’t care if your a million miles flyer. 

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Vigilant?  Aware?  Or did you mean something more along the lines of "argumentative" or "vociferous"?

Love it!!

Keel hauled. 

3 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Keel hauled. 

It’s a crying shame that was outlawed.  Maybe if they brought it back certain passengers would obey the rules and act accordingly.  The few that didn’t would soon be culled from the gene pool. 

Edited by DaKahuna

On 11/3/2023 at 8:25 PM, Seadweller001 said:

My Aunt (single, paid double) in Deluxe Grand on Seashore in December.  Wonder if she meets a lady or male and befriends, if there is an exception since she is paying the double occupancy rate?  Not that she will but an interesting situation. 

I cruised as a solo on Seaside in YC.   Paid double.  That was my contract.  No where does it state you can make adjustments enroute.  

• Like 3

It is possible to cruise in Haven on NCL or similarly in YC on MSC with friends or family not in that category.  

We met up after breakfast in the general population part of the ship.  We did specialty dining some nights together.  Of couse, off the ship in ports did not matter.