Will Celebrity deny boarding if passport less than 6 months before expiration?

DimSum

Hello

Not sure if this is the correct board to ask.  I'm working on my online check-in and realized that my passport expires within 6 months after my cruise.  I am cruising at the end of December 2023 and my passport expires end of April 2024.  Will Celebrity or the port agent deny me boarding if my passport is not more than 6 months after my cruise?  I'm currently looking into renewing my passport now that I realized that it expires next year.

Has anyone been denied boarding with a passport that is close to expiration?

You didn't indicate where you will be traveling to.    If doing a Close Loop Cruise you are probably OK as you can travel using a Birth Certificate and Certain other ID's.

You may wish to review - 

Celebrity State - 

Required travel documents for International Sailings

Passport

A valid passport is required for travel. Ensure there are sufficient blank visa pages within the passport for visa stamps. For additional passport information look here

For your protection, we require that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

https://visaguide.world/tips/passport-6-month-rule/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DimSum said:

@bjahil47 @Jim_Iain

I'm traveling round trip from Fort Lauderdale, US.  Going to Cozumel, Nassau and Caymen Islands.  It is close loop, but I guess I should renew ASAP just in case.

Thank you!!

Good Idea.    Would be good to review the documentary requirements for a closed loop. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DimSum said:

@bjahil47 @Jim_Iain

I'm traveling round trip from Fort Lauderdale, US.  Going to Cozumel, Nassau and Caymen Islands.  It is close loop, but I guess I should renew ASAP just in case.

Thank you!!

I wish you luck in making that happen! Not sure what current timelines are but they were running 4 months plus, even when paying more for a rushed one. Hopefully that’s improved!

• Like 1

You didn’t say what Nationality passport you were needing to renew. If it is Canadian, ours came through in a little over a week this past September. This was done at just a Service Canada site and not a Passport office.

Express Service would be much quicker again.  The Covid backlogs seem to be a thing of the past, thankfully.

• Like 1

I wouldn't chance it.

I did an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, returning to Vancouver in early September with only 3 weeks eligibility left on my Canadian passport. (Not my usual way of living life, but we had a terrible summer of family injuries and personal illness) I researched the rules and found out that for Canadian citizens visiting the US the passport only has to be valid for the duration of the visit - which mine was. I also had the back-up of my valid Nexus card and a handy - but dusty -  British passport. 

At the Port of Vancouver I was denied entry by the machines at US pre-clearance and sent off to chat to an officer who was very relaxed and waved me through. 

Now you are not dealing with the US CBP at the point of check-in/embarkation but Mexico, Bahamas and the Cayman's may have their own set of rules which the cruise line has to enforce. 

I renewed my passport immediately after we got home via a Service Canada office. I had to wait for 2 hours to hand over my forms etc, but the passport was issued 7 days later, and on my doorstep 5 days after that. So a decent turnaround time. 

12 hours ago, DimSum said:

@bjahil47 @Jim_Iain

Thank you!!

you don't need to renew a passport for this December sailing if it expires in April 2024. 

I wasn't even denied boarding with a passport which expired 1 day before the return date. Also closed loop.

13 hours ago, DimSum said:

Has anyone been denied boarding with a passport that is close to expiration?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MagPie60 said:

did an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, returning to Vancouver in early September with only 3 weeks eligibility left on my Canadian passport.

OP is not talking about an Alaska cruise with a Canadian passport with 3 weeks of validity left.

He/she is talking about a closed loop sailing out of FLL on a (supposedly) US passport with 4 months left on it.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OP is not talking about an Alaska cruise with a Canadian passport with 3 weeks of validity left.

He/she is talking about a closed loop sailing out of FLL on a (supposedly) US passport with 4 months left on it.

Gosh yes, I understand that because my reading comprehension is excellent. 

I made a clear point that it was an entirely different situation, but all knowledge is useful at some point IMO. OP is rather vague about the provenance of his aging passport, but if he is a Canadian citizen (maybe you didn't see the Canada/USA in his info??)  my last paragraph is totally pertinent. Otherwise they - and you - are totally free to ignore my post. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MagPie60 said:

Gosh yes, I understand that because my reading comprehension is excellent. 

I made a clear point that it was an entirely different situation, but all knowledge is useful at some point IMO. OP is rather vague about the provenance of his aging passport, but if he is a Canadian citizen (maybe you didn't see the Canada/USA in his info??)  my last paragraph is totally pertinent. Otherwise they - and you - are totally free to ignore my post. 

My impression is that OP is a US citizen living in Canada but that does not actually matter. Canadian or US passport six months validity is not required of those going on that itinerary. This has been difficult for Canadians particularly but also Americans to understand because globally there are different requirements and the cruise lines do a terrible job of explaining requirements that confuses people. I often wonder if that is on purpose. 

• Like 1

Are you a US citizen? The only thing a US citizen needs to take that cruise is a birth certificate and a valid photo ID. Rushing your passport off and hoping it gets expedited in time is an unnecessary risk. You don't need a passport at all to board. You just need your passport to fly back home if something happens. 

A closed loop cruise out of Florida, going to Mexico, Bahamas and Cayman Islands is completely fine on a passport with even one month of validity left.  

I would save your cash, and just use your passport as is, then renew when you get back.

We have done exactly what you are looking to do.  We had passports that expired in May, and had a February cruise.  Realized they were getting ready to expire.  Since it was a FL closed loop cruise, we just needed ANY valid passport OR birth certificate+Photo ID.  We used the existing passports then renewed when we got home.  

Closed loop US cruises and visits to Canada just need any valid passport.  Heck. We took daughter on a May 31 flight to Canada for a cruise out of Vancouver with a passport that expired in August.  Didn’t have sufficient time to renew before the cruise,  she came home and renewed after it.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mnocket said:

One wonders.... What exactly is the point of the expiration date on passports, if in practice the passport becomes unusable 6 months earlier?

There has to be some date because photos need to be updated and internationaly 10 years sems to be standard. Some countries require 3 or 6 months left to make sure you don't get stuck there with an expired passport. Many countries like the US only require a valid passport. I used to shoot for renewing at 8 months left but the last time I had so many cruises stacked that I had to time one with 5 months left. Had no problem as it was a typical Caribbean rt cruise. Then I sent my passport in.  Next renewal I will be starting at 12 months out since I have been going on more land trips and want to ne able to travel on short notice.