Which cruise lines have loyalty programs where status never expires?

astera

Is there a list of loyalty programs where you can build up your status/lifetime points in the long term without having your status or nights expire?

I've managed to get Diamond on RCI and even though I haven't been with them for several years my status is still intact. But when I went on Costa I didn't even bother signing up to their program because I saw something about collecting points in a limited timeframe (much like airline FFPs).

Is there a list of programs where you can only go "up the ladder" and never get knocked back down for not travelling with them enough?

Edited by astera

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  Their programs are also reciprocal in terms of shared benefits based on tier level while cruising on either one.  Points earned during a cruise remain with the line you are on at the time, however.  There is also talk currently about having the two programs merge as a single program applicable to both with cumulative points.  This would benefit the Celebrity loyalists as their program is not as strong in terms of benefits as Royal's.

IMO Royal's program is the best in the industry in terms of tier benefits.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We are in loyalty programs with more than a dozen cruise lines and only MSC expires.  For what it's worth, the benefits of loyalty programs have been consistently "watered down, by many lines.  This has usually been accomplished by changing packages and normal onboard benefits (such as Internet access).  As one who has very high status with multiple lines, we NEVER even consider those benefits when choosing a line or cruise.  

What are the best benefits..industry wise?  That might be an interesting topic.  But we would give high marks to the lines that give real discounts on cruise bookings (MSC, Silverseas, etc) and free laundry.  The free laundry becomes quite valuable on the longer cruises and not nearly as important on a short 7 day voyage.

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What are the best benefits..industry wise?  That might be an interesting topic.  But we would give high marks to the lines that give real discounts on cruise bookings (MSC, Silverseas, etc) and free laundry.  The free laundry becomes quite valuable on the longer cruises and not nearly as important on a short 7 day voyage.

IMO RCCL has the strongest program with free cruises awarded at certain point levels, free (or discounted, based on tier level) laundry, discounts on cruise bookings (again based on tier level), complimentary drinks that range from 4 - 6 pp per day., etc. 

If interested, here is a link describing their Crown & Anchor loyalty program:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

• Like 1

We are on Cunard and they do not expire.

Based on your history of sailing with their voyages with the number of days accumulated on board.

We even think that the top category being Diamond, which is our level, we are wondering if another level should be designated. It seems though the loyalty of it's passengers, it's getting awful crowded at that level. By attending the CWC Cocktail Parties on board attendance.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Most are permanent. MSCs is not and I'm going to guess it's because they do status matches and would have too many elite members.

I could be wrong and would appreciate if someone knows for sure if otherwise but I think they have discontinued that status match program.  And as others have mentioned at least at one time they required a repeat cruise every three years to maintain status. Their benefits are not that strong either and IMO they have one of the weakest loyalty programs as a result.

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I could be wrong and would appreciate if someone knows for sure if otherwise but I think they have discontinued that status match program.  And as others have mentioned at least at one time they required a repeat cruise every three years to maintain status. Their benefits are not that strong either and IMO they have one of the weakest loyalty programs as a result.

People are still getting status matched according to postings on the MSC board. The 3 year expiration is still in effect (an additional year was granted post covid).

13 minutes ago, capriccio said:

People are still getting status matched according to postings on the MSC board. The 3 year expiration is still in effect (an additional year was granted post covid).

Thanks - appreciate the correction.  But in comparison with other programs I still think their tier level benefits are weak.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are wrong.  Here is a link to the MSC Status Match page

Status Match Program | Reward Program | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

Interesting thing about MSC is that DW and I seldom have any interest in the various get togethers for loyalty folks,  But the first time we cruised on MSC, we decided to go to the various parties just to see how they stacked up against other cruise lines.  MSC really did a great job. Unlike what we see on many other lines, the MSC functions had lots of support from senior staff (including the Captain).  As to being the "weakest loyalty program" they do give a 5% discount (off what you pay for the cruise) which is a lot more generous than a free cocktail :).  Book a 2 week cruise in the Yacht Club and that status match might save you over $500.

Hank

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You are wrong.  Here is a link to the MSC Status Match page

Status Match Program | Reward Program | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

Interesting thing about MSC is that DW and I seldom have any interest in the various get togethers for loyalty folks,  But the first time we cruised on MSC, we decided to go to the various parties just to see how they stacked up against other cruise lines.  MSC really did a great job. Unlike what we see on many other lines, the MSC functions had lots of support from senior staff (including the Captain).  As to being the "weakest loyalty program" they do give a 5% discount (off what you pay for the cruise) which is a lot more generous than a free cocktail :).  Book a 2 week cruise in the Yacht Club and that status match might save you over $500.

Hank

MSc also gives veterans a ten percent discount, no other cruise line that I know comes close. Love there yacht club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

MSc also gives veterans a ten percent discount, no other cruise line that I know comes close. Love there yacht club.

That discount is also available to current and retired civil servants (federal, state and local governments).  My DH is a retired Fed and we’ve used it twice in the Yacht Club.

• Like 1

Following. Good to know that what I always thought has turned out to be true - the vast majority of the mainstream cruise lines have statuses that never expire, unlike some airlines. This might change in the future as I hear occasional stories about what cruise lines need or want to do about all the people at their respective top levels.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Following. Good to know that what I always thought has turned out to be true - the vast majority of the mainstream cruise lines have statuses that never expire, unlike some airlines. This might change in the future as I hear occasional stories about what cruise lines need or want to do about all the people at their respective top levels.

Some of the lines are certainly facing saturation at the top and providing the perks for those tiers can be a challenge, but that comes from the folks in those tiers actually sailing. Removing people for not booking a cruise won't cure the problem.

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The perks cruises give are not as valuable as airline points and do require you continue to use their services.  I can take my airline miles and use them for a variety of services unrelated to the airline.  Some airlines are now trying non-expiring points but that is very changeable. 

perks like WiFi and laundry barely cost the cruise line a dime.  This is why I often negotiate perks when I see a price drop for my sailing

Edited by Mary229

On 11/14/2023 at 2:33 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  Their programs are also reciprocal in terms of shared benefits based on tier level while cruising on either one.  Points earned during a cruise remain with the line you are on at the time, however.  There is also talk currently about having the two programs merge as a single program applicable to both with cumulative points.

I've been looking into Celebrity for this very reason (already have Diamond status on RCI) but at the same time I wouldn't be progressing further up the loyalty ladder as the nights onboard would not count.

This has got me thinking though that if I was to sign up to Celebrity's loyalty program to register nights there as well, could any future merger of the two programs combine all nights into one account?

37 minutes ago, astera said:

I've been looking into Celebrity for this very reason (already have Diamond status on RCI) but at the same time I wouldn't be progressing further up the loyalty ladder as the nights onboard would not count.

This has got me thinking though that if I was to sign up to Celebrity's loyalty program to register nights there as well, could any future merger of the two programs combine all nights into one account?

I would suggest signing up with Celebrity if you think you will cruise with them as you would be Elite with them and would receive those benefits on board Celebrity. Note that Elite is the highest reciprocal tier and is available to Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle members. (Similarly, Diamond is the highest reciprocal tier with Celebrity).

It is true that currently the points earned remain separate with the cruise line on which you are sailing at the time and the only way you would earn the next level with Celebrity is to earn those tier points through them. But thanks to your RCCL Diamond status, you still share the Elite tier. So why not?

My understanding is if they merge the RCCL C & A program with the Celebrity Captain's Club, the tier levels would equalize in terms of benefits (good for Celebrity) and the points would combine so that cruising on either would result in a cumulative total for both tier progressions.

Celebrity has already announced the addition of a dedicated Elite and higher lounge on some ships to mirror the former Diamond Club (now Crown Lounge), which IMO signals the first step towards this plan. Unfortunately on RCCL, the new Crown lounge will be limited now to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members during the designated evening cocktail hours.  Diamond tier members will still have the 4 coupon drink benefit available in the other venues around the ship and can still access the Crown Lounge during non-cocktail hours.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, Hlitner said:

For what it's worth, the benefits of loyalty programs have been consistently "watered down, by many lines

This is a necessary result of "lifetime" benefits that never expire.  On my recent cruise it was announced that 25% of the ship had "elite" level status.  I personally expect that benefits on many lines will continue to be "watered down" over time.

What's really interesting is that cruise lines seem to be the exception as award programs for airlines and hotels tend to require annual qualification until a truly high level of activity over many years has been achieved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Unfortunately on RCCL, the new Crown lounge will be limited now to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members during the designated evening cocktail hours.

What do you expect if points never expire?  This really isn't too surprising a result. 

• Like 1